Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by nikolokolus, Jan 21, 2015.

  1. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    Show Spoiler
     
    ^ Top  
  2. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Another minute or two passes in the square as everyone grows fidgety; the tension thick enough to cut with a knife. Torg lights the end of stick from a torch and puts it to his pipe and puffs prodigiously for a few seconds and the fragrant scent of cannabis leaf fills the air, "Gimme a puff" Ulem asks hopefully. Torg reluctantly ascents and starts to pass it over, but his eyes go wide and the pipe falls to the ground as he looks up slightly into the air. Without warning a dark shape leaps from a nearby roof and sailing for Torg.

    Wolf sneak attack [1d20+6] = 2+6 = 8 damage [1d8+3] = 8+3 = 11 + [1d8] = 4

    Fortunately for the butcher he steps aside and the pitch black shape goes tumbling across the planks of the square.

    Roll Initiative.

    (FWIW, Rhenmyr is effectively at long-range for a bowshot and from his elevated perch can sense a commotion down in the square, but identifying targets in the dark at this range would be impossible).
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
  4. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,259
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Fidach, Torg and Ulem all surge toward the wolf with spear, cleaver and dagger. The nimble great black beast easily dodges the blows of Fidach and Ulem, but the butcher's swing is true as he brings his meat cleaver down in a great arc. and strikes a glancing blow Torg's cleaver [1d6] = 2

    The sounds of Brule's boots beating on the gangway echoes from the direction of the gatehouse.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,016
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Initiative roll (open)
    [1d6] = 2

    In your house rules it mentions to add the Dexterity modifier. That would be +1 for me, correct?

    In that case, 3.


    Urash gasps out loudly and fumbles, almost dropping his staff. Regaining his composure, he will attempt to keep a safe distance between himself and the developing rumble.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Initiative [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

    Rhenmyr notes the commotion but holds position, waiting for people to exit the greathouse or a target below to be presented.
    OOC (open)
    There were no suspicious sounds from the greathouse prior to the attack?
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,228
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    ^ Top  
  9. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    Cormac hangs back with one of the sticks he was sharpening in front of him.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Answer (open)
    That is correct.


    OOC (open)
    No. Nothing unsusual at the greathouse.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Marcán surges into the fray and chops at the wolf with his flashing falcata, slashing it's side open. It lets out an audible yelp and it turns its baleful green eyes on the bard.

    (ERYFKRAD take your action, you're up).
     
    ^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,259
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Borric rams his torch into the face of the Wolf, making a lot of noise to draw its attention.

    Show Spoiler
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    The great black wolf snarls at Borric's wild swing with his torch but doesn't seem especially fazed by it. Instead it turns toward the butcher Torg and leaps, sinking its teeth deep into the man's throat. Wolf's bite damage [1d8+3] = 7+3 = 10
    A wet gurgling sound escapes from his lips and he staggers backward in the flickering torchlight.

    Standing over the twitching body of his victim, the wolf spins on its heels and crouches low and quickly surveys the square. Its lips curl back in a rictus and the eyes begin to dimly glow with a hellish green light. If you didn't know any better you'd say it was almost smiling.

    Round two initiative:
    Round two wolf's Initiative [1d6] = 6
    Round two: Villager's Initiative [1d6] = 3
     
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,259
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    ^ Top  
  16. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,228
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,057
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler
     
    ^ Top  
  18. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,016
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Round 2 Initiative (open)
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
  20. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    The wolf coils its body like a spring and leaps 20' up into the air toward the peak of a roof of a nearby structure.

    Siveon Marcán gets one free shot because you tied it during initiative. Do what you will.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,228
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    "Bastard!" Marcán yells, after chanting another verse*, going in for another swipe.

    Show Spoiler

    To hit: [1d20 + 2] = 9+2 = 11
    Damage: [1d8+2] = 6+2 = 8
    *Buff next round, then? EDIT: My spoilers are borked for some reason.





     
    ^ Top  
  22. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Unfortunately, Marcán reacts just a moment too late and the wolf easily sails through air and perches for a moment on ridgepole. It spares a glance down at the square, its feet suddenly flare with an eerie green flame and it bolts, floating on the air as if it were solid ground.

    Unleash your missile weapons or cast spells now if you want to. Be sure to add +1 to your attack rolls from Marcán's Bard song.

    Grimgravy You are about 250 feet away (long range for a bowshot) -4 to hit (-2 for range and -2 for the dim light). Everybody else is in close range.

    Fidach hurls his spear with all of his might: Fidach's Spear throw [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11 damage [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 and it clatters sticks harmlessly into the timber of a nearby building as it comes up short of its mark.

    In the direction of the gate, you can see a shadowy figure (Brule in all likelihood) who fires his bow in rapid succession: Brule's longbow [1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20, [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22, damage [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 2 In the dim light cast by the moon and the torches, you can't see the arrows fly, but you hear them hit their mark as the giant wolf "flies" over Brule's head.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,057
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "My time to shine!...Well your's rather, lupine freak!"
    Ker starts calling for Cernunnos' blessing of coruscating light, gesticulating wildly while reciting ancient keltic mantras.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Ker intones sacred words. Old words. A moment later the monstrosity Blaidd Mawr is limned in flickering purplish faerie light. The sight looks like something out of Otherworld; a hellish, slow-moving comet of ill-omen.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.