Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

nikolokolus

Arcane
What do you all wish to do now?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ganelon resists the urge to yodel like the Swiss soldiers he remembers from the crusade and listens intently for sounds of impending doom.

Madeline

Literate
Madeline motions for the group to get out of the dead end back into the main hallway. As she'd been keeping guard of it along with Sancho, it's still empty, and if the northern door remains unopened, then we have our backs to the wall in case of an attack, with nowhere to retreat.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Daphne slowly steps forward on tip-toes, makes an attempt to push open the door from a distance with her quarterstaff, then immediately retreats back a few feet.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Perhaps we could hide around the corner in the pulley room? That way if something comes from the east to investigate it might miss us.

Otherwise, happy to support Daphne in door opening. If only to have a peak at what lies on the other side.

Vincent stays with the group in a defensive stance, ready to catch any screaming horror that emerges from the gloom on his mighty fauchard.

nikolokolus

Arcane
While the group retreats to the passage intersection, Daphne pushes against the heavy wooden door with the butt of her quarterstaff. Fortunately it isn't latched or swollen and warped with moisture (come to think of it, how did this wooden door survive for centuries? Daphne thinks to herself) and with a heave it swings inward on its rusty hinges. Lantern light spill into a vacant square room about twenty feet on each side. Directly across from the open door is another closed door made of stone. Around the room are piles of dirt and other unidentifiable refuse, randomly scattered across the floor. Most distressing, a few paces inside the door, is a badly decomposed, armored corpse laying face down with an arm outstretched towards the now open portal. A broken sword is still clutched in a gauntleted hand and the stub of a burnt out torch in the other.
ZkxLzJh.png

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent investigates the corpse, particularily with interest as to in what manner it met its death.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Daphne bars the hallway with her staff to prevent Vincent from entering. "Wait. This looks all to suspicious."
She taps the floor in the chamber with her staff with varying degrees of force applied, but always ensuring that she stays south of the door.
Is it possible to jam/unhinge the door?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Given that her floor-tapping does nothing more than producing a series of mute knocks, Daphne pulls out her dagger and shoves it in the gap between door and frame. She then gives Vincent a hand sign towards the corpse and invites him to proceed.
Nevermind, she does none of that.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Daphne taps ahead and presses on the floor tiles through the door. There is an audible *click* as one of the tiles depresses and suddenly there is a grinding noise, a rush of air and she is left holding a stub of her staff as a stone slab slides down from a slot in the arched doorway mere inches from her face. From beyond the stone slab, that clearly would have trapped someone had they crossed the threshold, there is a creaking of hinges and then some faint scrabbling noises.
bxrpEro.png

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
I guess we head east so!

Unless the lever we found is a trap reset?

Now, with the door open Vincent sees if he can pull the small lever in the floor again.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to make a check with the ole' pokey stick if the wine press mechanism can be jammed. If I find a likely groove/ catch, maybe stick an iron spike in it.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Daphne jerks backwards, immediately starts to hyperventilate and holds her palm to her chest as if she wanted to prevent her heart from escaping. With wide eyes, she alternates looking at Vincent and at what once was her staff. When she calms down after a few moments, she stows the remainder of her weapon, draws her dagger and tries to discern the nature of those scrabbing noises.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'd like to make a check with the ole' pokey stick if the wine press mechanism can be jammed. If I find a likely groove/ catch, maybe stick an iron spike in it.
It's a stone lever hinged at one end and it pulls upward to activate it. (whatever the loud *ka-chunk* noise was). It fell back into the "down" position after it was pulled with the jury-rigged rope. Just jiggling the handle a bit, it seems like there is resistance again on the upward pulling motion. You could certainly pull the lever and brace something under it in the recess if you wish

Daphne jerks backwards, immediately starts to hyperventilate and holds her palm to her chest as if she wanted to prevent her heart from escaping. With wide eyes, she alternates looking at Vincent and at what once was her staff. When she calms down after a few moments, she stows the remainder of her weapon, draws her dagger and tries to discern the nature of those scrabbing noises.
You can hear scraping and scatching noises against the stone slab now. Whatever is causing it, it sounds a lot like something hard being dragged across stone.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent steps away from the stone slab and associated leverage and waits to see what people make of this development.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Daphne tries to stop Vincent and Vandal from fiddling with the uncovered latch they found before
If I understood you guys right and that was what you wanted to do.
Pretty sure this lever rearms the trap? We should all ready ourselves before if we want to do that.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Seems we either prepare to fight and operate the lever or we proceed east.

East seems like a pleasant direction right now.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

What we oughta do is bait the incoming sucker on to the trap, Predator style.

nikolokolus

Arcane

Just to make sure I'm communicating effectively. The trigger plate was inside the room where the noises are coming from. The lever is in the passage outside of the door, originally hidden under a loose flagstone. I'm not sure what other trap you are referring to?
I'll add some annotations to the map for clarity

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

I really wish I had some poisoned caltrops right now...

While curious to get into a fight, there could be something pretty nasty on the other side!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

Just to make sure I'm communicating effectively. The trigger plate was inside the room where the noises are coming from. The lever is in the passage outside of the door, originally hidden under a loose flagstone. I'm not sure what other trap you are referring to?
I'll add some annotations to the map for clarity
Right, I do now note that we don't know if the lever is connected to the flattener. If was hoping to open the slab crusher, quickly poke the trigger with my pole to catch whatever is heading towards us in it. Back to the drawing board I wot.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Right, I do now note that we don't know if the lever is connected to the flattener. If was hoping to open the slab crusher, quickly poke the trigger with my pole to catch whatever is heading towards us in it. Back to the drawing board I wot.

Yeah, I still suspect >90% it is a trap reset, but we won't know for sure until we tried it. Also that assumes that the creature didn't make it through while the trap is in the process of resetting.

nikolokolus

Arcane
While the party retreats from the stone slab and the scrabbling noises from beyond and contemplates what to do about it, there is a horrid chittering noise in the blackness to the east that grows louder and louder . . . closer and closer . . .

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom