Official RPG Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by nikolokolus, May 28, 2021.

  1. AdamReith Arbiter Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,010
    RPG Wokedex
    Vincent lowers his fuachard and prepares to receive a charge.
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Madeline Literate

    Madeline
    Joined:
    May 17, 2021
    Messages:
    28
    Location:
    Averoigne
    Show Spoiler
    Nevermind, I'm teh dumb
     
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,830
    Vandal and others take up defensive positions. The barbarian futzes around in his pack and produces an oil flask, rips a bit of his cloak off, douses it with oil and stuffs it into the neck of the clay flask. He asks Sancho to open up his lantern so he can light the thing at the appropriate moment. Less than a dozen seconds later, a horrid pack of 1-2' long rats streams around the corner from the north passage. Maddie suddenly yells "Rats!"

    Combat begins:
    ROLL INITIAITVE!
    COMBAT (open)
    Head over to Roll20 to do your bits

    Vandal's flask of burning oil is perfectly tossed and explodes in a shower of flames in the middle of the pack of rats. They are instantly engulfed which brightly illuminates the corridor. They screech and scream in agony, and what few are left alive, scatter in all directions.

    This is handy. You can now see down the length of the eastern corridor which appears to terminate about 30 paces away at a door; two other archways are barely visible in the dying light of the flaming ratswarm.
    XP (open)
    Every survivor gets 16 XP!

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,359
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Ganelon whisper: "Well done, big man! Rats that must be eating something down here. And that begs the question, What?"
     
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,080
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Guillemin gives Vandal an appreciative nod and pats Sancho's shoulder, visibly relieved that he will not have to fend off ravenous rodents.

    He puts one ear to the stone slab dropped by the trap and, listening for a moment to the strange sound coming from beyond, steps back and points towards the East. He makes a walking motion with his fingers to make it clear that he suggesting that they proceed further along the corridor.
     
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,080
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Guillemin then takes a few steps, coming to the next nearest intersection, and leans forward to see what awaits them in the branching corridor.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,830
    Guillemin strains to listen beyond the slab. It appears that the scratching noises have ceased. You stand there stock still and barely breathing for several long minutes before you are satisficed that nothing moves beyond.

    Guillemin advances about 6 or 7 paces down the corridor, past the glowing embers of the bar-b-qued rats. Sancho looks down and licks his lips, but thinks better of it when his mistress catches him staring at them a little too fondly. He stands at the junction of the northern and eastern passages between several doors, one ten feet behind and another two, ten feet further east along the north and sout sides of the passage. He squints into the oppressive darkness beyond the feeble light cast by the lanterns of his companions peering north along the featureless corridor of high vaulted arches, and slime-slick stone, but can't perceive the end of the passage. He does note a couple of glowing tracers of light, likely the dying light cast by the guttering flame of an enflamed, dead rat about fifty feet north. Aside from the persistent drip of water that plagues this place constantly, there is no discernible sound.

    Of note: As Guillemin passed the door along the southern wall of the corridor he notes that it, and the others nearby, are made of the same stout wood that the door of the trapped room was; even without special training he knows that it should have rotted to pulp eons ago in this interminable damp.
     
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  8. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,080
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Obviously unwilling to go first into the encroaching darkness, Guillemin returns to the door he has just passed on the southern wall. Again surprised at just how sturdy and healthy the wood looks, despite this place's ancient origins, he resolves to inspect the door and the surrounding stonework. He prods the floor's flagstones with the butt of his spear before moving closer to look at the hinges, latches or other mechanisms.
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,830
    Guillemin spends a good ten minutes carefully inspecting the door, the floor and the stonework around it. Besides the fact that this door seems to be slightly warped and swollen (and thus most likely stuck in the jamb) there is nothing noteworthy around you that arouses your suspicion.
     
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Madeline Literate

    Madeline
    Joined:
    May 17, 2021
    Messages:
    28
    Location:
    Averoigne
    Madeline gathers her courage and by that, I mean she grabs Sancho by the collar and leads him, shield first, then Sancho, then Maddie, forward through the corridor. From how well they are synchronized, it's clear it's not their first dance, as they turn north in tandem, peeking into the hall leading north while Sancho's lantern-hand trembles slightly. Should they encounter nothing untowardly, Madeline leaves her young page to guard that direction while she moves to examine the next two doors; first the northern one, and if none of the other party members follow to examine the southern doorway, then she moves to that as well.

    She does not dare open either doors, but if there's a handle that she doesn't discern as trapped, Maddie will pull at it, just to see if the door is locked or unlocked, slowly, moving it millimeter by millimeter, so as to not cause too much noise. If there's no handle, she'll lightly push at the door with both hands, but again makes sure the door doesn't actually open; she just wants to see if they are locked.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. AdamReith Arbiter Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,010
    RPG Wokedex
    Vincent proceeds east, casting lantern light over what nooks and crannies are not currently illuminated.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,830
    Maddie prods Sancho ahead of her and he emits a high-pitched squeak of protest and starts to viorously shake his head, "No! Please mistress! Don't make me do it!" He begins to visibly cry and shake in abject terror. (Does Madeline push Sancho into the vanguard anyway?). However in the dim light cast by Sancho's lantern, she can barely perceive the outline of a door north of her and sees that the passage turns to the right (east).

    Vincent lights his own lantern (or borrows someone else's?) and walks alone down the hallway. He passes by a pile of rubble and sees a rough opening along the northern side of the passage that wasn't visible from the "rat light." It appears someone or something has burst through the wall from the opposite side. Beyond the jagged hole, he can make out an empty room, devoid of litter, or other debris with no visible doors. 20 feet farther along on the south side of the corridor is a bricked up archway, that looks like it might have once been a door. At the end of the hall is a set of stone double doors and another wooden door 20 feet away along the northern side of the passage.

    [​IMG]
     
    ^ Top  
  13. AdamReith Arbiter Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,010
    RPG Wokedex
    Show Spoiler

    Yikes, how thick is this wall?

    Would we be able to fit through that hole?

    Are there any other features of this impressive hole that might indicate who or what created it?
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,359
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    As the group seems to split up a bit, Ganelon tries to stay as close to the middle of the expanded formation as possible. Eyes and ears alert. Ready to repond in any direction.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Madeline Literate

    Madeline
    Joined:
    May 17, 2021
    Messages:
    28
    Location:
    Averoigne
    Once Sancho starts even physically resisting, Madeline releases him from her dance.

    "I thought your heart was that of a lion's, beating only for my breath, boy?"

    She then refocuses down the corridor, and raises her rapier to the edge of the corridor.

    "Fine. Stay behind me."

    Maddie then hugs the right side of the wall, putting her back to it. Rapier in her right hand pointed out, she lifts one foot to the next, cautiously approaching the corner in order to "secure" it, and assuming nothing terrifying happens, beckons Sancho or whoever's willing to come up with a lantern so she can check the passage turn to the east.
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AdamReith Arbiter Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,010
    RPG Wokedex
    Summoned by the audacious bickering and now confident that their rear is somewhat secure, Vincent provides light to Maddie's advance.

    Show Spoiler

    Sancho is evolving into a somewhat renfieldian character, I like it!
     
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  17. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,830
    Vincent examines the hole in the wall as best as he can. It's about 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide, so certainly wide enough to stoop your head and crawl through one at a time. The wall itself is about a foot thick, but you have no idea what force could have created this.
     
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. AdamReith Arbiter Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,010
    RPG Wokedex
    Whatever this tomb was built to contain, seems to have escaped... Vincent scratches his beard more than slightly perturbed as he leaves the hole to venture north.
     
    ^ Top  
  19. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,830
    Signing off for now (open)
    Alright, I'm off to the airport. I'll try post as I can, but otherwise I'll be back next Thursday.
     
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,830
    Madeline, her trusty servant Sancho and Vincent creep along the north passage about 40 feet straining their ears and eyes in the oppressive gloom and silence of this ancient underground complex. Madeline peeks around the corner and sees that the passage turns east and continues for as far as her lantern will illuminate. There is a thick wooden door in the north end of the wall next to her, another 20 feet on, and what looks like an ancient portcullis, crusted with slime and corrosion directly across from it to the south. What little lantern light spills through the iron bars reveals little from her current vantage point at the corner.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. AdamReith Arbiter Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,010
    RPG Wokedex
    Vincent puts his ear to the nearest door, if there is nothing to report he proceeds to the next also.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,080
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Meanwhile, Guillemin waves at Vandal to come closer. Cautiously, he tries to open the door he has just examined. He intends to peer inside to see if there's anything of note.

    Show Spoiler
    If the door is stuck, there's always the crowbar.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,359
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Show Spoiler
    Ganelon is hanging out at the fork where the Party Location pin is, hoping the crew comes to their senses and regroups.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. AdamReith Arbiter Patron

    AdamReith
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Messages:
    1,010
    RPG Wokedex
    After inspecting the new doors Vincent attends the portal operation procedure being instigated by squire Guillemin.

    He beckons to Maddie inviting her to accompany him, such an event is not to be missed by any.

    Sancho gets a snort of derision as Vincent passes.
     
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021 at 9:50 PM
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    20,157
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Confident of the ability of the guardsman to apply ample assistance to the attempts of Guillemin upon the big aperture, and thoroughly puzzled at the troupe splitting off hither and yon, Vandal waits with Ganelon.
    He passes a quick glance over the hole in the wall and wonders idly if his mining pick could enlarge the hole if needed.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.