Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How will we ever find this place so that we can get the mask back, without some strong man's brave fighting arms?"
"South." Vandal points in the direction he saw the mist disappear in response to the painted woman.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Daphne turns around and adresses the innkeeper. "Jean-Baptiste, what knowledge do you possess about the marshes that lie to the southern boglands? Are there tales or legends about something lurking there which is capable of such atrocities?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Vincent: "Well met, we are strangers to Averoigne so will surely need your aid. See what has befallen our employer - it could not have been done by any mortal hand, what native to this land could leave a man thus? It left a mist in its wake and I do not think we know much else besides. You must be a hardy people here to survive such horrors." Then retreating slightly from the Bailiff he says, as if to no one: "How shall we fund this poor man's burial, he died with barely a silver piece to his name. A dark night indeed."

Ganelon: "The mist was a strange sight indeed. We have sent for the prior to see to poor Horatio's soul."

Bailiff Gilles: The venerable, and whip-thin man shuffles forward and bends over Horatio's body, leaning heavily on his cudgel as he attempts to squat down (very, very slowly). A wheezing groan burbles from his pursed lips and he produces a magnifying glass from the pocket of his mantle and shakily holds it up to his face as he looks up and down the body. "Seems like you left him out in the sun too long?!" He wheezes and chuckles grimly at his own joke before coughing and turning more serious. He straightens up and starts to push himself up. Jean-Baptiste rushes forward and helps the eldery man to his feet. Gilles, the Bailiff speaks again: "I've never seen anything like this and I've spent nearly my whole life here, save for my year of service under King Phillip to liberate Gascony from the English. While we await the Prior I ask that none of you leave the village until my inquiry is complete. The body will be held for further examination and will be released to you if and when my lordship Sieur Guy de Moncrief wishes it so. He will certainly need to be told of what has transpired here and I am certain that he will wish to inspect the body or appoint his physician Monseiur DuPont. But for what it's worth, a plot in the town graveyard is 10 silvers, a headstone can be carved for as little as 20, a coffin is another 20, an undertaker's preparations would be . . . uh . . " He looks down at the body "free I expect in his case?" He reaches into a belt pouch and produces a heavily creased bit of parchment, and a small lead stylus and begins asking for each of your names (assuming you give your real name and not an alias).

Prior Guillaume: In the middle of the Bailiff's speech to Vincent, Genelon and the others assembled, a bleary-eyed monk of prodigious girth in a white frock, huffs and puffs up the last stairs and takes in the scene around him, seemingly uncertain of how to proceed until the innkeeper strides over and bows somewhat informally. "This way Prior Guillaume." The monk casts a wary eye over each of you and strides in a dignified manner over to the body. Once he gets a good look at Horatio's dessicated husk, the monk gasps and makes the sign of the cross before turning to all assembled. "I came as quickly as I could, but could scarcely make sense of Jean's frantic account. You are all mummers and players I am lead to believe? Who was your master and is there anyone who would wish to harm him? " He looks askance at Ganelon and his features brighten a little bit as he appears to take note of the small insignia of the double-cross stitched on the shoulder of his cloak (likely marking his association with the Order of The Holy Ghost). "You there, you appear to be an annointed knight of the Hospitallers? Have you ever seen anything of the like in your service?"

While the Prior has his attention focused on Genelon and the Bailiff leans in to listen, Daphne pulls Jean-Baptiste aside and speaks quietly to him.

Daphne: "Jean-Baptiste, what knowledge do you possess about the marshes that lie to the southern boglands? Are there tales or legends about something lurking there which is capable of such atrocities?"

The innkeeper knits his brows, and replies in a low voice, "Mademoiselle, nothing like this has ever happened here before. Yes of course there are always fireside stories told to frighten children about the tomb-mounds a league into the marsh, but I've seen them with my own eyes many years ago." Looking a little abashed at Daphne's expression, he continues, "What can I say? it's the way of young boys to ignore their mothers and do what they are told not to. The only thing that's out there are some rolling hills and mounds of earth. A handful have granite slabs set into their face and there is one of the larger mounds at the western edge of the uplift that seems to have been a tomb, or maybe something else, in days long past. There is an actual stone-lined tunnel going down into the ground and a vaulted chamber under the hill. But we found no buried treasures or ancient kings inside. All that in there is a mountain of bat guano, an old empty stone slab and some broken shards of pottery. Later I even got the courage to ask Monsieur DuPont, a man of letters here in town, about the place. He told me that the mounds likely go back to Roman times or perhaps even Gallic. But I swear on the saints that I have never heard of a black mist that drains the blood from a man; why the foul thing drifted off into the marsh is beyond my ken." He seems a bit visibly rattled and grabs Daphne's shoulder, "What do you think it is? Have you ever heard of such a thing?"

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Shortly after Prior Guillaume arrives two young monks come up the stairs carrying a litter. They roll the body onto it and start taking it away. Aside from any further questions you may have for Prior Guillaume, Bailiff Gilles or Jean-Baptiste the innkeeper, they look to be trying to push everyone out and lock up the room until it can be further examined in the morning. Jean-Baptiste says that he's heading downstairs to the common room and has intimated that he will be uncorking a rundlet of wine should anyone care to join him (on the house).

If you have any intention of pocketing/palming something or wish to do anything else you care to try now is the time to tell me.

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
Guillemin takes the lead stylus from the old Bailiff's hand and scrawls a nigh-illegible signature onto his parchment. Pausing one last time at the feet of Horatio's human husk just as the monks lift it on their litter, he then turns to Jean-Baptiste and makes to accompany him down the stairs. "Monsieur, all this grim business is bound to give me nightmares. Would it be too much to ask you again for the tales of your youth? A good tale and a lovely drink would do much to ease our sorrows. You mentioned a stone slab, shards of antique pottery? Fascinating... what else do you remember?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Jean-Baptiste hands the room's key to Bailiff Gilles and exits the room with his wife with Guillemin close behind. Once downstairs, the innkeeper's wife, Marie, pecks him on the cheek and tousles his hair before retiring to their private quarters on the ground floor. The innkeeper coughs and seems a little embarrassed, and lifts a cask from behind the counter and pours two full goblets of deep red wine, offering one to Guillemin.

"So why are you so keen to know about the mounds? As I said to your companion, this was ages ago. I was a stripling no more than thirteen years or so. My two best friends and I followed a game trail through the thickets and tall reeds for several hours, but we had spent long days hunting frogs in the shallower pools and sloughs near the village so we knew part of the way there, but still I think it took us the better part of six hours to reach the place. We'd only ever caught glimpses before when the mist would occasionally clear, but it wasn't as grand as I expected. It was just a few dozen small hillocks spread over several acres in the middle of that mosquito infested quagmire. The trail we'd followed, put us on the western flank of the little plateau that just barely rises out of the peat and mud. It was late in the afternoon, so followed a little track, seemingly marked out by little cairns to the highest hill that was crowned around the top with a circle of standing stones. At the top we found a tunnel leading down in the earth. I remember there was a granite slab split in two pieces laying just outside the tunnel . . . maybe that was its seal once upon a time? . . . Anyway, none of us had thought to bring a torchiere or candle, but the westering sun cast some light down the short stairwell so we crawled inside to see what it was we could see. It was as I said, just some old broken pieces of pottery, and we could dimly perceive a stone block about 3 paces long and half again as high and wide in the center of the chamber. It was difficult to see anything else, so I snatched up a piece of ceramic as a souvenir and stuffed it into my pocket. Unfortunately, we had badly lost track of time and didn't make it back to the village until well after dark. Making matters worse, Pierre fell into the bog and covered himself in black muck so there wasn't going to be any sneaking back and pretending we'd been fishing in the creek all day. When we got back to the village square it seems half the village had been rousted to go looking for us. I'm not sure any of us could sit comfortably for a month after that." Jean-Baptiste smiles a little ruefully and he quaffs his goblet in one long pull and pours himself another.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ganelon de Brignoles, sir. For better or worse, Father, no I have not seen the like of this. I have heard of something similar, however. I didn't put too much credence in the tale at the time. Soldiers are prone to exaggeration after all and who would believe this with seeing it?. Ganelon gestures toward the desiccated corpse and related the legend as told by the Teutonic knight. A brother of the Teutonic Order said he had seen the like while campaigning in Transylvania. He said it was the work of a blood sucking demon creature called Vampyr that could turn to mist and perhaps more. Bats, wolves? Strong and cunning, the creature was said to difficult to destroy as well. A stake to heart, fire, submersion in running water, beheading, sunlight, and holy water were mentioned but I don't know what is truth and what is fanciful. It would be difficult to behead or submerge mist, no? Maybe the beast could be bearded in its lair and the Lord's justice applied while the sun lights the sky? The Teuton said the curse could be passed on as well. Perhaps precautions should be taken, but I leave that to you worthy gentlemen to decide... Ganelon looks to the corpse with concern and joins in the wine if not further called on by the bailiff or prior.

Ganelon will pocket the notebook for later study if Daphne didn't hold onto it when the bailiff came in.

Madeline

Literate
Madeline whips to attention at the gruff man's simple direction. "South," he says, and she instinctively looks at wherever Vandal points at. For a good minute, her expression is blank and she appears the most clueless of featherbrains, but the cogwheels are turning. During the discussions of the bailiff, the prior and her colleagues, she moves like a ghost, having been in the background and so far not bringing any attention to herself, and finds herself back near late Horatio's chest.

Maddie waits for an opportune moment where the bailiff, innkeeper and prior are otherwise occupied exercising their mouth holes before she bends down head-over-knees into the chest of possessions (paying careful attention so that if anyone should turn in that direction, her well-defined buttocks are what gets their attention first), and tries to quickly yet quietly snatch both Horatio's purse of silver and the stiletto dagger. She makes no effort to hide this from her colleagues, just the "authorities". The dagger goes into her tall boot, while the coin bag ends up wrapped around her belt as if it was hers, hiding in plain sight.

Once the deed is done, she rejoins Vandal at his side (Sancho gives him the side-eye), addressing the man of few words with just a few rods as well. "Free wine, rest, then South?" Contrary to a lot of the other people in the room, she seems less interested in giving a proper burial to a body that was murdered in such an improper way.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Free wine, rest, then South?"
"Satisfactory." Quoth the brute. Thus having exhausted his store of loquacity for the day, Vandal heads downward for the promised victuals.

Maybe I should roll Charisma if this dude is ever to indulge in complex conversation exceeding two one sentences. :lol:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
"What do you think it is? Have you ever heard of such a thing?"
"No, never." she responds while freeing herself from the unsolicited physical contact, despite having seen many a corpse in every state of dessication and decomposition imaginable, some of them undoubtedly of supernatural cause, too. Although Daphne considered the conversation with the innkeeper to be over, the sudden influx of Catholicizm in the small chamber is too startling to make her want to stay there any longer. She cedes the notebook to Ganelon and rejoin the others downstairs to indulge in Jean-Baptiste's wine and tales.
Once he finishes, Daphne inquires "That piece of pottery you retrieved back then. You don't happen to still have it, do you? If so, may I have a gander at it?"

If she gets hold of the ceramic, she tries to attune to it and creates quick drawings of its shape, any inscriptions if present and other distinctive features.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Noting Ganelon's movement towards the notebook and Madeline's... performance, Vincent was content that there was nothing left to be done but to provide some cover to their activities. This business with the Vampyr was highly worrying but the nonchalant manner in which the authority figures of the village were prepared to discuss the matter surprised him.

Perhaps there would be a way to proceed that would not leave Vincent back on the street, standing guard in the rain, eating hard bread...

"I will have some of this wine, if only to numb me to the levity with which you treat the death of our dear employer."

Vincent slams his goblet down at the first opening in conversation, after taking a small sip.

"It's true, you act like this demon takes new prey every night. Feign obliviousness sirs but I expect this is not the first person in this village to meet such a fate. You must merely furnish us with expenses and we will hunt this creature down for you and put a fauchard through its heart."

Madeline

Literate
"We will?" Madeline tilts her head in a questioning fashion, though the ask is mostly rhetoric, and asked, yet not asked, of everyone.

Assuming her stunt works and she makes her way to the wine table unscathed, of course. :lol:

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
"Surely, we all have unfinished business with Horatio."

Those are his words to the group, with his eyes he says Gold.

"And after all, we are no safer than anyone else while this creature has free rein in this village. I for one won't sleep a wink until this danger is dealt with and anyone who expects me to stand vigil at their door, I can not think of a price high enough."

Not that, Vincent mused, such protection did Horatio any good.

Vincent has now actually scared himself and is not even sure if he's grifting any more.

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
When Daphne asks Jean-Baptiste if he still has the piece of pottery, Guillemin approvingly interjects: "Yes... we have some learned folks among us who may even be able to tell you if the mounds are of Roman or Gallic origin. I'm sure Monsieur DuPont will be very pleased if you can give him a definitive answer... Is he still in Les Hiboux, perchance?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"An ancient tomb seems as likely a lair as any for a such a creature. A misty form may give it access to entrances not available us made of firmer stuff."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grimgravy Ganelon has no difficulty pocketing the book since it was already in hand before the Bailiff and Prior entered the room
Madeline With all of the commotion in the room you recieved a +1 bonus to your sleight-of-hand check . . .
gQungNc.png

Success! You manage to lift the stilleto and slide it into your boot and palm the coin purse without making any discernible noise.

Meanwhile back in the taproom . . .

Prior Guillaume paces back and forth in the common room, absentmindedly rolling rosary beads between his thumb and forefinger as his subordinate monks carefully bring the remains of Horatio down on the litter. Gilles walks over to the bar and takes a proffered goblet of wine and downs it in one gulp. Both men have somber slightly confused expressions, and seem to stare off into space as if whatever horror they've witnessed isn't real somehow.

Vincent's outburst at Jean-Baptiste, the Prior and the Bailiff seems to visibly upset them. Prior Guillaume seems particularly shaken by accusations of callousness "What!? How dare you accuse us of such a thing! Nothing like this has ever occurred here that I have ever heard of. Mark my words well mummer, we will get to the bottom of this murder and find the culprit. And methinks you may protest too much." He levels a steely gaze at the man-at-arms "Until this is resolved may I remind you that everyone here is also under suspicion. You are all strangers to us and until your alibis are confirmed or witnesses to your character can be produced, I would advise you to mind your tongue before taking such a tone with myself, Monsieur Gilles, and especially Sieur Guy when he questions you on the morrow. As for your demands, your cheek is almost beyond the pale. No one is to go anywhere until everyone's guilt or innocence is assayed one way or the other. He makes a beckoning motion to the subordinate Norbertine brothers carrying the litter with Horatio's body and the monks and Bailiff depart into the moonlit night.

Vincent's Charisma Roll to extract funding for an expedition:
qAfDqLJ.png

vs. Charisma 10, FAILED

The tense exchange temporarily casts a pall over the common room and Jean-Baptiste looks at Vincent warily as Daphne tries to engage him in idle chit-chat about the ceramic fragment he found. He drains another goblet and nods at the woman, "Yes . . . it's somewhere around here." He turns around and pulls open several drawers before reaching inside and pulling out a leather thong threaded through a smooth blue and white chip of glazed clay. he slides it across the bartop to Daphne and says, "See, not much to it. However, I always thought the engraved letters on it were interesting. Monsieur DuPont didn't know what language they are from, but he knew they aren't Greek or Latin."

Daphne takes the smooth, polished fragment. Bits of gold flecking catch the candlelight in the room and the sky blue glaze is quite striking. You spend several minutes handling it and studdying the characters scribed into its surface
Language Check:
Pxc2lVv.png

Search Check (to notice any lingering dweomer):
HlHuhrF.png
There are three tiny letters written in what you think look very much like Etruscan, but it seems more primitive in some way, but whatever it might be exactly, it doesn't form a complete word or concept.
Snorkack go ahead and put Ancient Etruscan as a known language somewhere on your character sheet

Jean-Baptiste replies to Guillemin about Monsieur DuPont as Daphne seems engrossed with the fragment. "Yes, he still lives here. his home is in the old remnants of that Roman tower converted to living space just at the eastern edge of the village. He was chief advisor to the former Lord de Moncrief until he died about 4 years ago. The new lord Sieur Guy relieved him of his position, however he still serves as surgeon and physician to Sieur and I suspect Bailiff Gilles will end up employing him to examine your master's remains. Lord Guy has been oft absent and . . . preoccupied with matters in Ximes."

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
I thought this thread was going to be called "Lamentations of Avellone" and I am severely disappointed

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent decided not to press the matter any further, whatever wealth was at stake it was not worth losing his freedom over.

He found a corner to place himself into where he promptly began brooding in silence.

Madeline

Literate
Maddie stands near the bar herself, believing in staying close to the people of import and - very tenderly, as a noblewoman would do - sips from a goblet of the free wine. Her (fake) jewelry glistens in the dim light of the common room and as soon as Vincent accuses the men of former knowledge of the strange threat, she perks an eyebrow. The Prior's haranguous response has her spring to action, and she almost dances over him, gently tapping her left hand on his shoulder, while pointing the wine-wielding hand's index finger at Vincent, with her pinky graciously lifted off the goblet.

"Now, now, Prior, the monsieur over there meant nothing of the sort. He merely had too much wine this evening, surely you must have smelled the stink of wine on his breath already upstairs? With the trauma of seeing his employee in such unnatural state, surely you can forgive him for jumping to conclusions, oh-Holy-One," she addresses, having completely missed out on the proper etiquette of addressing a Prior, and improvising.

The touch on the shoulder doesn't linger too long, not too short - just exactly right not to offend the "holy" part of the man, but enough so that if he has any "man" left in him at all, perhaps he warms to it - and then her subtle hands departing his shoulder could leave him longing.

"Now, if I may translate for my colleague, I think what he meant to say is that we remain at your disposal and are happy to return for the inevitable investigation into this truly terrible, terrifying matter, but that we are also willing to aid in its speedy solution - after all, to most of us, Horatio was not only our employer, but our - ah -" Maddie takes a break in her speech, forcing a semi-fake, semi-real lone tear from one of her eyes, which she wipes off with one knuckle of her free index finger, "friend... as well. Our emotional... involvement benefits you, as well, as if our assessment is correct, the rest of Les Hiboux could be in danger as well, and surely you would not want this on your conscience, as God would want you to support the endeavor of bringing whoever is responsible for this to justice, yes? And well, if you support our inevitable misadventure, perhaps God may look upon you fondly as the extended hand of Him, helping justice find its course?"

Madeline then takes a slightly less noble gulp of the wine, keeping eye contact with the Prior with the biggest eyes in the world, making the wine drinking a sign of her sorrows.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Medeline's honeyed words seem to soothe the agitated monk and he nods his head slightly, "Yes, it's been a very trying night for all of us I expect. My apologies Monsieur . . . I confess that the whole affair is entirely beyond the scope of my experience. Perhaps Master DuPont, or Lord de Moncrief will be able to deduce the manner of your friend's death. I assure you though, that all proper benedictions and rites will be performed on his corpse before the sunrises. Mayhaps there is something beyond normal explanation to this 'black vapor' some of you claim to have seen. As you said, brother Genelon, tis better to be safe than sorry, but god have mercy on us all if there is indeed some unholy agent of the Adversary working his schemes and foulness here . . ." His voice trails off as his expression becomes distressed. "If indeed it proves necessary, it may come to pass that your services will be retained to bring the murderer to heel, but if I were you I would speak of this to no one for now. The last thing the village needs is the Inquisition and their instruments taking an unhealthy interest until more is known. Good morrow mademoiselles and monsieurs" and with that he departs.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
The longer Daphne studies the potsherd, the more the expression on her face becomes an amalgamation of astonishment and terror. Eventually she puts the shard back in the owner's hands, looks around and cracks a faint smile when noticing her colleagues' unashamed display of greed and morbid curiosity. "I concur, we should follow the strange mist into the quag to find out who, or what took our dear friend come dawn breaks. Big man, are you willing to lead us the way?," she asks Vandal.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
When he was sure nobody outside the group would overhear, Vincent roused.

"Well", Vincent muttered, "we are still to count what remains in Horatio's coin purse."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Eventually after more cups of wine than you care to count, Jean-Baptiste puts the cork back in the cask and tucks it under the counter of the bar. He slurs, "Bonne nuit. I am off to bed. For the nonce I leave you to your reveries and bid you all adieu." He staggers through the doorway to his private quarters and you all hear the slide of a bolt. The common room is very quiet in the small hours of night.
Alright, this is where you are able to talk among yourselves (in-character, or out-of-character; whatever makes you more comfortable) decide whatever course(s) of action might come next, etc. You're also alone and able to count out the money without looking like a bunch of grave robbers.
Madeline empties out the contents of Horatio's large purse on to a table as quietly as she can and she starts sifting through the coins and a half-a-dozen scrips of paper. The scrips are neatly quarter-folded and tied together with a black ribbon. You unfold them and realize that they are notes of deposit: 2 are from a commercial bank in Genoa, 1 is for a bank in Marseilles, 1 for a bank in Paris, another for a bank in Hamburg, and the last is issued from a bank in Vyones. Each of the notes is valued at 500 silver denier (but must be withdrawn in person from each originating bank). The coins in the purse are likely enough to pay a month's wages for everyone in the company* and enough to cover incidental travel expenses -- a princely sum of 1,260 denier (this is almost certainly the company's strongbox).
There are also 14 other company members who chose to sleep with the wagons, and that's your initial pool of replacement characters . . . if you chose to share with them, then any replacement characters will have an additional 60sp. Also, remember that this money doesn't count as "treasure" for XP purposes.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent just sat and looked at the money silently, he had never seen such wealth in one place before and knew it was unlikely he ever would again.

If only his parents could see him now.

I say we split it with the rest of the crew. Vincent wouldn't even consider doing otherwise due to the potential 14 daggers in the back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom