Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

L'ennui

Magister
The suggested marching order is more or less what i had in mind for Guillemin, so no change needed on that front.

Guillemin bid his ex-employer a final, silent farewell. He had not really known the man, but he was grateful that the troupe had provided him with a means of escaping his previous lives' troubles, and he had secretly admired the man's drive and determination. He had even envied his relative success on more than one occasion. How silly that had been, he now reflected. "Ashes to ashes..." was all he could muster. Gathering his thoughts to focus to the situation at hand, Guillemin could not help but feel a bit queasy at the notion of going into long-forgotten hidden places, never mind encountering the malefic force that had killed Horatio in such a horrible way. Then again, what other choice did he have? As he listened to Maddie's speech, he suspected he would never again be the type of bold adventurer she called for, rushing to action to avenge a friend or to defend his village. He was simply a spent man with no other prospects, save for dying a beggar.

The following day, in a slightly better mood thanks to Jean-Baptiste's hospitality, Guillemin greets Jacques with a nod. Inspecting his pack to make sure all the essentials are accounted for, he asks the man: "Aside from the marsh, have you noticed anything unusual in Les Hiboux's surroundings lately?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
The hunter (Jacques) idly scratches his hunting hound behind the ears in the crisp, morning air of spring and picks at his teeth with the point of a hunting knife, as he watches the troupe assemble in the village square. When Guillemin approaches him and speaks, he ponders the question for a long moment before replying. "Now that you mention it, I suppose 'yes.' A month ago I come across a set of curious tracks moving west to east off of the avenue between here and Vyones. It was some unknown number - perhaps as few as five, maybe as many as fifteen? - clever of them to march single-file, no? I suspected they might be poachers or brigands looking to create an encampment in a shallow vale a couple of miles north of the village near some old ruins - it's well sheltered from the wind and would be a good place to hide a campfire - but the tracks passed by the ruins and veered south about another league east of the village. I followed for another mile before the tracks disappeared at the edge of the marsh. The pools are quite large and deep there, with no obvious paths that I've ever seen. I informed Sieur Guy's castellan and he sent a cadre of mounted knights out to investigate, but they found nothing in their circuit. I went back to the spot those tracks disappeared a couple of weeks ago and a mile to either side, and I've never seen any sign of return tracks out of there. Now you lot want to go out into the marsh?" He picks at his teeth some more and spits something to the ground, "Interesting."

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
While being absent of Horacio's funeral ("The grief. It is just too much to bear. Most likely I'd just break down and cause a ruckus". Others reassured her that Maddie held a truly touching speech, though), Daphne gathered her belongings and now sits idly around, waiting for the expedition to begin.

I yield the treasurer title to the priest (the +10%xp would have been very appreciated, though), as I'm on vacation now and can't make promises about my availability until sunday.

When it's me who prevents things from moving on, just assume the following: Daphne's not really comfortable in the wilderness and just follows the lead of Jacques and the others.
When C&C time, she supports the decision that most likely gets the group closer to the tombs (unless that would be an obviously dumb decision).
When engaged in a brawl, she tries to maintain distance and shoot any baddies with her sling.
In the most dire of circumstances, she casts her remembered spell Gaseous Form to gtfo (but only if Death or tpk is imminent. Seeing Daphne turn into a cloud might make others reassess the mystery of Horacio's murder)
Daphne also stocks up as many iron rations as others do (if any) and tries to acquire a healing potion if available

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I yield the treasurer title to the priest (the +10%xp would have been very appreciated, though)

Of course the Priest getting to level 2 doubles the party's healing magic, making death or tpk somewhat less likely.

nikolokolus How much progress can be made regarding the notebook in days passed so far?

Ganelon spends most of his time trying to suss our Horatio's notebook (sharing any finding with the group over meals), but make time to attend the man's funeral. He stays silent during the and lingers afterwards. "I hope you have not doomed us all." he says softly, "And I pray you are at peace in the hands of the Lord."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It perplexes Vandal utterly that people need to get paid to have a hole dug for their corpse to be dropped in and a robed man to say a few words over it. Nevertheless, he observes with his usual loquacity and general quantity of words said at such occasion, which is to say, none at all.

Madeline

Literate
"Doggie!"

Maddie immediately dashes to Jacques' hound and squats down next to it, scratching and petting it like a little child. She listens intently when the hunger mentions the tracks, then stands up to respond.

"We know there are burial mounds a league or so into the marshes, and want to specifically find one that's marked by a circle of standing stones."

She ponders for a bit, now also petting the dog just absent-mindedly, before continuing.

"Would you say it's possible the tracks you found could have been either coming from that direction, or going in the direction of the burial site?"

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Vincent introduces himself politely to Jacques, mildly in awe of his rugged demeanour and faithful hound.

"Perhaps the fate of these men you mention will provide the starting point of our investigation. Is it possible the castellan's knights missed something?"

Inspired by the hunters air of professionalism; Vincent acquires a rope, shovel, tinderbox and a water-skin from the local trader for 12sp.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
While being absent of Horacio's funeral ("The grief. It is just too much to bear. Most likely I'd just break down and cause a ruckus". Others reassured her that Maddie held a truly touching speech, though), Daphne gathered her belongings and now sits idly around, waiting for the expedition to begin.

I yield the treasurer title to the priest (the +10%xp would have been very appreciated, though), as I'm on vacation now and can't make promises about my availability until sunday.

When it's me who prevents things from moving on, just assume the following: Daphne's not really comfortable in the wilderness and just follows the lead of Jacques and the others.
When C&C time, she supports the decision that most likely gets the group closer to the tombs (unless that would be an obviously dumb decision).
When engaged in a brawl, she tries to maintain distance and shoot any baddies with her sling.
In the most dire of circumstances, she casts her remembered spell Gaseous Form to gtfo (but only if Death or tpk is imminent. Seeing Daphne turn into a cloud might make others reassess the mystery of Horacio's murder)
Daphne also stocks up as many iron rations as others do (if any) and tries to acquire a healing potion if available

Of course the Priest getting to level 2 doubles the party's healing magic, making death or tpk somewhat less likely.

nikolokolus How much progress can be made regarding the notebook in days passed so far?
Ganelon spends most of his time trying to suss our Horatio's notebook (sharing any finding with the group over meals), but make time to attend the man's funeral. He stays silent during the and lingers afterwards. "I hope you have not doomed us all." he says softly, "And I pray you are at peace in the hands of the Lord."
No worries about being absent for a few days or whatever, it's going to happen, but having those general guidelines in place is exactly what I'm looking for; as long as your character is still exposed to hazards you're still eligible for a full share of XP or treasure. If there comes a time when you want to keep your character safe, all you have to do is say so and I can park them in the village. The structure of the game is such that you're not going to want to spend a whole lot of time camping out in the wilds or god forbid in the dungeon, so there are going to be a lot fo short forays and frequent trips back to town to heal up and resupply. As for a "healing potion" being available for purchase there's no such thing as a "ye olde magick shoppe" in the village, not only is it the product of wizardry (and thus the Devil) it's just a sleepy little backwater, however . . .
Daphne makes an idle inquiry with the local Trader Armand about the availability of healing poultices, unguents, or other concoctions and the middle-aged, heavy set man shakes his head vigorously, "Non, mademoiselle. Nothing of the sort, perhaps the physician Monsieur DuPont has some elixir for sore joints or to cure a fever, but I would never carry such things. If you are after folk remedies, or potions, some in the village seek out Mere Antoinette who lives in a hovel within the marsh several miles southwest of town." he crosses himself and leans in to whisper, "She is a strange woman who some whisper is in league with the Adversary. Whatever her proclivities, or whether the rumors are true or not, I hear she is loathe to accept visitors, unless they bear some suitable gift. I hear she's fond of Burgundian red."
"Doggie!"

Maddie immediately dashes to Jacques' hound and squats down next to it, scratching and petting it like a little child. She listens intently when the hunter mentions the tracks, then stands up to respond.

"We know there are burial mounds a league or so into the marshes, and want to specifically find one that's marked by a circle of standing stones."

She ponders for a bit, now also petting the dog just absent-mindedly, before continuing.

"Would you say it's possible the tracks you found could have been either coming from that direction, or going in the direction of the burial site?"

B0Vmk0P.png
The wolfhound snarls and bares his teeth at Maddie attempting to approach and pet it. Jacques the hunter, whistles sharply and points at the ground and the dog obediently lays down, putting his head between his forepaws, though he continues to glance up at Maddie reprovingly. "Might not want to do that mam'selle. He's touchy about his ears . . . and his back . . . and his tail for that matter."

Vincent introduces himself politely to Jacques, mildly in awe of his rugged demeanour and faithful hound.

"Perhaps the fate of these men you mention will provide the starting point of our investigation. Is it possible the castellan's knights missed something?"

Inspired by the hunters air of professionalism; Vincent acquires a rope, shovel, tinderbox and a water-skin from the local trader for 12sp.

The hunter listens to Maddie and Vincent in turn. "I know the mound you're speaking of. The place where the tracks disappeared might take 2-3 hours to find again and investigate." He looks up at the sun low in the east, "I suspect we've at least another 14 hours of daylight - It makes no difference to me, I'm at your service."

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Fearing dark times ahead Vincent purchases a full lantern and an additional flask of oil for the sum of 5sp 10cp.

Madeline

Literate
Maddie withdraws her hand with a silent "yikes!" and decides it's not the dog not liking her, it's Maddie not liking the dog. Either way, she looks around, then responds to Jacques.

"Then I think the detour might be worth it. Even if the tracks had disappeared long ago, we might be able to discern something that will help us not to walk into this completely blimdfolded."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Ganelon visits the Prior the day after the murder and inquires about access to and use of the local church. "Father Guillaume, I hope I do presume too much in asking, but may I have access to your house of worship? It would provide me some measure of comfort and allow me to bless some holy water. I would like to have some on hand should the murderous beast return."
I'll start the process of blessing holy water if granted access.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Prior Guillaume is a bit taken aback at the odd request, but nods his assent, "Hold on a moment, let me give you something." He disappears into a small alcove and unlocks a trunk and rummages inside it for a few moments. "Take these. I don't know what you expect to find, but this belonged to my grandfather who died defending Acre from the heathen Mamluks and it was secreted away by his comrades who gave it to my infant father. Perhaps it will bring you greater fortune than it brought him?" He produces a dozen small vials of holy water stored in a jackbox (a padded wooden box with a shoulder strap and 16 separate compartments for storing glass vials) and hands over a mace with a perforated, hollow head and compartment for storing one of the vials (treat as a small blunt weapon; 1d6 dmg, and a successful hit breaks the vial inside and automatically applies holy water to a target once).
Grimgravy make sure you note that you have to bless the water for 10 straight days. If you miss a day for any reason you have to start over.
The hunter takes note of the troupe's general assent to detour and he leads them off along the fringe of the marsh, walking into the early morning sun. An hour goes by and Jacques slows down while he constantly surveys the ground. He suddenly stops cold and veers right toward the marsh. He walks for about 40 paces and comes up the water's edge. In front of you spreads a vast shallow bog full of reeds and cattails. the heavy mist that lays over the marsh (which seems odd given the relative warmth of the late spring morning) obscures any details beyond about 200 paces, but you can see hints of thorny rows of brambles along the far edge of the slough that stretches east and west as far as you can make out. It seems extremely unlikely that anyone would have walked into the muck and mire at this location.
You are all of course free to make your own bushcraft checks at -1 to your skill to try and interpret the month old tracks. If your skill is already at 1 then you need to roll two 1s in a row to succeed.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent looks about, trying to gain some bearings in a terrain very alien to him.

"These men could not have just disappeared Jacques... Do you mean to suggest to us that they entered this marsh like some strange race of frogs? Is there no other possibility?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
The hunter chuckles and shrugs, "No, I doubt that very much. I suspect there is a more mundane explanation."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The hunter chuckles and shrugs, "No, I doubt that very much. I suspect there is a more mundane explanation."

"Such as..."
As general rule I don't like NPCs to do the investigating for the PCs. They can fill in the gaps and provide services and skills, but conclusions should be left up to you all, that said they might offer guesses if it seems especially obvious
"Well, a boat perhaps? Perhaps they sprouted wings and flew across?" He winks and flashes a wry grin, "If it was a boat, they didn't bring it with them; their footprints weren't deep enough and there were no drag marks along their chosen path."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Ganelon is quite surprised at the gift and marvels at the mace. "That is most generous Father! This is a rather ingenious device. Thank you! It will use it in pursuit of the Lord's justice."

On the expedition: Ganelon scans the area but leaves the tracking to the experts. "Sir, in your experience, is this mist common to the area this time of year? It certainly limits one's vision, and could be a boon for smugglers, bandits, or the like."

If and when we come into more party loot, we shall have to hire some linkboys and porters. The day rate is damn expensive!

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Apologies, it made most sense to me for Vincent to lean on the guide in this scenario. Will leave it alone in future.

"Well, I think we would make a boat out; as thick as that mist is. I can see those thorn bushes there on the other side for example. Do you think they took this boat with them?"

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Apologies, it made most sense to me for Vincent to lean on the guide in this scenario. Will leave it alone in future.

"Well, I think we would make a boat out; as thick as that mist is. I can see those thorn bushes there on the other side for example. Do you think they took this boat with them?"
You didn't do anything wrong. You're a player you're supposed to wring out as much me as you possibly can from your questions. I just figured I'd explain why Jacques isn't more "definitive"
"Perhaps. These pools and ponds stretch out for miles. I've never bothered to wade out at this spot, but if they did have a boat, there are sloughs and channels criss-crossing everywhere. If the boat were small enough they could portage or paddle through to another tarn without much difficulty I'd wager?"
Maybe not exactly like this, but close
2HvhPec.jpg

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

You didn't do anything wrong. You're a player you're supposed to wring out as much me as you possibly can from your questions. I just figured I'd explain why Jacques isn't more "definitive"
"Perhaps. These pools and ponds stretch out for miles. I've never bothered to wade out at this spot, but if they did have a boat, there are sloughs and channels criss-crossing everywhere. If the boat were small enough they could portage or paddle through to another tarn without much difficulty I'd wager?"
Maybe not exactly like this, but close
2HvhPec.jpg

I just assumed he was taking the piss.

Picture is great, coming in much more clearly now. Thanks!

"And there are no other paths to the opposite bank?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Opposite bank?" He points to the row of sedges and scrubby trees that are barely discernible in the thick mist across the dark gray water, "That might be an island (of a sort), but you'd likely find another pond just as wide and deep as this one and then another, and another for at least a four or five leagues. This is the part of the marsh where the deeper tarns and pools lie. the best paths to the interior are west of here, closer to the village. It's still a mazy tangle of man-high reeds, brambles, thorns and waist-deep water, but there are game trails that the marsh deer use and they will help bring us to the mounds. All people might do here is collect rushes and hunt bullfrogs, but villagers don't usually need to come this far out to get what they need."

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent thanked the hunter and stepped up to the edge of the marsh, peering into the thick mist he wondered what connection these mysterious swamp dwellers could have to Horatio's death.

nikolokolus

Arcane
V1wZxBw.png
Without knowing what to look for, the members of the troupe try in vain to discover any other tracks or to read the ones that Jacques points out. With no other leads they shrug their shoulders and traipse back to Les Hiboux. It is about mid-morning and feels like it's going to be a warm day, curiously the mist over the bogs and fens shows no signs of dissipating. Jacques takes a moment to refil his waterskin from the village well and gives you no more than about 15 minutes of rest before he strides down the short path to the edge of the marsh where the village's brick makers are busy toiling away, packing forms with mud and straw and firing them in the two large kilns. (This is your last chance to stash anything, or pick up any last minute equipment).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
V1wZxBw.png
Without knowing what to look for, the members of the troupe try in vain to discover any other tracks or to read the ones that Jacques points out. With no other leads they shrug their shoulders and traipse back to Les Hiboux. It is about mid-morning and feels like it's going to be a warm day, curiously the mist over the bogs and fens shows no signs of dissipating. Jacques takes a moment to refil his waterskin from the village well and gives you no more than about 15 minutes of rest before he strides down the short path to the edge of the marsh where the village's brick makers are busy toiling away, packing forms with mud and straw and firing them in the two large kilns. (This is your last chance to stash anything, or pick up any last minute equipment).
Would it be excessively meta for us to compare inventories and decide on what needs to be bought?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Would it be excessively meta for us to compare inventories and decide on what needs to be bought?
It's not meta. It's a question character's might ask of each other and certain things are going to be obvious -- like armor, weapons, etc. -- Ultimately, it's up to the other players if they want to do that. There may be something that they have hidden from the group and don't want to share (probably not at this point, however)? It might be easier just to ask if anyone has a particular item you are thinking of? Also bear in mind, this is as much a scouting expedition as anything else. You're going to be doing your damndest to get back to town by night, because sleeping out in that swampy hellhole seems really unappealing (even to Vandal)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom