Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Perhaps his crime was being Roman. Or Christian. Or both" Ganelon struggles a bit with the ancient Latin but eventually groks it.
Do any of those names or titles ring a bell? Cant get to roll20 at work. Any doors in here?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Perhaps his crime was being Roman. Or Christian. Or both" Ganelon struggles a bit with the ancient Latin but eventually groks it.
Do any of those names or titles ring a bell? Cant get to roll20 at work. Any doors in here?
First of all there are no doors in here, second of all . . . I'll roll for you all. Somehow, someway, Requin has a vague recollection of what a Praetorian was: Some sort of elite guard responsible for guarding the Emperor or somesuch? You're hazy on the details.
The skeletal figure of Marcus turns his head towards Ganelon, "Christian? No not I, but now that I know the full of it, what's the difference between that Jewish, beggar faith, and glorious Mithras? Nothing I say. I am a foul betrayer. Curst by the hosts of heaven, by Sol and by Pluto himself. This is my fate . . . my just reward for betraying The Legate, for breaking the circle, for my weakness!" His voice is rising in tone and volume with each word. He is inconsolable for a moment, wailing again, then his moan fades away to a hollow whimper that sounds like wind rushing over a cave-mouth. "Why have you come?"

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Finn lowers his shotgun crossbow for a moment as Marcus' voice becomes a desperate wail as compassion takes over him, but he then raises it straight back up and keeps it ready.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"A twist of fate passed this map to our troupe with the precise location of your very prison. Maybe it was higher powers who sent us here to relieve you of the burden of guilt... is there any way we can help you get your great wrong righted?"

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
As he listens in on the conversation, Grima remembers that he speaks this language quite well. He also remembers a variety of other things, are they truths or tricks of his addled mind? He decides to speak regardless.

"Yes, I sentenced you for your crimes. Now, I, the Legate, have returned with these priests to grant you your reprieve."

Grima continues, in perfect ancient Latin.

"First, you must repent, tell us all here, in great detail what your crimes were. Then we shall help send you to your eternal rest."

nikolokolus

Arcane
When Grima interjects, Marcus regards him with his single baleful, glowing blue eye, "False! You lie! The Legate died in front of me, as did all of my boon companions. But I will tell you all of my crimes, for they are great burden upon my soul. it was my betrayal, lured by the darkness with promises of wealth and power that I enabled the foul servants of darkness to capture and destroy my brothers; their corpses rent limb from limb and sacrificed to dark powers upon a dark altar. Those who promised me this wealth and power, then betrayed me: Chaining me here and burying me while I still drew breath. That I was rejected by the gods and sent back to this accursed form is my great shame."

Marcus then turns to Daphne and then falls silent for some time before speaking again, "Release me. Let me atone. Let me slay the servants of evil who led me astray -- those foul necromancers who serve Orcus and Dispater, and deny Pluto his rightful subjects. If there be any mercy in your hearts, or any love of the Light, release me from this living oblivion. If too there are servants of the Light among you -- be that Mithras, Zoroaster, or Yahweh, then let me adjuge you all and if found worthy, I will serve with you for a year and a day . . . or the completion of my quest, whichever should come first. My only stipulation is that we donate half of any goods or gold recovered from these villains to those Mithras loves best; those who seek purification of self and love the truth."

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Grima pauses for a moment, he would remember dying; surely. Perhaps Marcus isn't as trustworthy as he initially seemed.

How beguiling such a wide grin could be.

"We will surely need some token of your good faith Marcus. Point us toward something hidden of value, to prove we can trust you."

Once we are done milking this guy for info we should leave him here to rot.

Even if we believe every word he says the deal sucks.

SoupNazi

Finn is glad he can't understand all the chaotic evil shit going on from his comrades.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcus listens to Grima, and then replies: "Find the arms and armor of Legate Agrippa. they were thrice blessed and hold a great power. Power enough to strike down these perverters -- these desecraters. But I have no sense of where they were taken and I can offer you no proof. However, the true weapon we carried -- The Fount of Mithras -- was stolen and taken by those who entombed me and damned me. The orb, was to be cast into the breach from which Tartarus vomits forth its filth and seal it. I do not know where the orb went, but even now I can sense that it still exists . . . somewhere . . . though it is like the faintest heartbeat or a whispered word upon the wind . . . " His voice trails off as if he's straining to listen to something that only he can hear.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Ganelon produces his crucifix and prays. "Lord, times are troubled and I walk in dark places. U pray you show me the servants of your enemy and and shine your light on their schemes."
Casting detect evil.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ganelon stands back and utters an invocation. When he opens his eyes, he half expects to see Marcus wreathed in a black halo . . . instead he is slightly taken aback when he sees no such thing. Around Marcus.

Daphne and Grima on the other hand . . .

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Strange though it may be, I believe the praetorian is trustworthy. I would see him free and redeemed. " Ganelon examines the chains to see how best to free him.
Any items lighting up with evilness? The chains, Grima's sword, or the dagger that burned, was it Daphne's, hand?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Strange though it may be, I believe the praetorian is trustworthy. I would see him free and redeemed. " Ganelon examines the chains to see how best to free him.
Any items lighting up with evilness? The chains, Grima's sword, or the dagger that burned, was it Daphne's, hand?
The former crusader vouching for the Praetorian eases things somewhat but not altogether.
Requin puts forth a few queries too-
"Ask him if he knows what year this is. Other than that ask him if he will give his word not to harm anyone other than those who have looted the artifacts he seeks. I don't think having such a one travel with hither and yon would anything other than attract untoward attention."

And with one line Requin has surpassed Vandal's word count. :lol:

nikolokolus

Arcane
All of it is "evil", or spawned from Chaos. The only sort of magic that doesn't come back as "evil" is cleric/holy magic, so it's evilness isn't exactly like normal D&D. That said . . .
Grima's sword definitely radiates Chaos . . . A LOT of chaos! Daphne's dagger does not radiate "evil" of any sort and there is nothing magical about Marcus' fetters, but they are made from a very strange black metal. They aren't locked, but there is a bolt with a pin holding them in place.

Marcus listens to Requin ask indirect questions and he speaks to him directly, "I can hear you just fine warrior . . . You have my oath, that I will only harm those that serve the Nether powers and those that would seek to thwart my quest to pull these evil-doers down. May Mithras damn me to Oblivion if my blade be raised against beasts of the wood, men of the field, women of the hearth, nor any other innocent. As to what 'year' it is . . . I have moldered here in the dark for so long I can scarcely recall what time even means? It was 944 years from the founding of the Great City when we undertook our mission here on behalf of the Emperor. Is time not still reckoned that way? As for me travelling hither and yon, I can see the state of my body . . . a hideous ruin stripped of flesh. I have no desire to see the world of men any longer -- Wine will hold no savor, and victuals no sustenance. If freed, I would rather remain upon the plateau seeking my enemies, but if you must return to wherever you come from, I will abide where you wish, if you command it." He pauses a long while before tentatively continuing, "How fares the empire? Did Septimus conquer Pictland? Is Hibernia finally brought to heel?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcus doesn't offer much of a response to Requin's oblique reference to Rome's fall, he merely nods silently.

Requin
seems to weary of the banter and this loquacious skeleton's high-minded speechifying. He walks forth and pulls the pins from the fetters on his ankles and wrists. Marcus falls to the ground and very slowly rises. When he fully recovers himself to his full height, he bows in the direction of the rugged swamp man, and tests out his arms for the first time in who knows how long. "Ahhhh . . . Thank you . . ." He turns and regards everyone with his single, phantasmal blue eye. "You have my gratitude . . . but before we come to a compact I ask you to take hold." He lifts his scabbarded sword out its hanger and holds it by the naked blade. "If all of you would please take hold as one . . . I would assess your intent . . . and worthiness."

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Because you have freed a historic figure, who is central to some of the weirdness that is going on, every character recieves 500 XP. You do not need to return to civilization to take advantage of the award; if it's enough to go up a level you instantly gain the benefits now.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Marcus Vitulus, you are a tried backstabber and the last change that you made in this world was the act of your treason which brought you to this oubliette. This is the ground on which you want to evaluate our worthiness? Of course, go ahead. Judge me, and witness how you and me are cast from the very same mould." Daphne steps forward, grabs the sword and gives the ghastly figure a challenging stare. Drops of blood emerge from her palm and drop to the ground.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"I have faults for sure, but I will face your challenge." Ganelon does as the praetorian asks looking briefly at Grima and Daphne. Grima's aura doesn't surprise him, but Daphne's does. Grima seems mad, and has at least a little malice in him but Daphne? She has said and done nothing to make the crusader question her character overly much. There must be more to her story, but everyone finds their own way to God, so he decides to give her the benefit of the doubt. Grima...Best not underestimate him.

SoupNazi

Finn finds it all a bit too strange and overbearing; he's joined the party to hunt down monsters, not make pacts with them and free them from captivity. There's enough trust and respect for his comrades in his heart that his itchy trigger finger does not release a silver bolt straight at Marcus Vitulus' skeleton head, but he doesn't lower the weapon either. Even as he starts focusing on the conversation towards the end of it and catches the general meaning, there's doubt in his face.

"Hmphf," is the only response he gives to the "challenge" of touching the animated skeleton's sword, but then he does switch the crossbow to his left hand. Finn first touches his right palm to his heart, then to the crucifix tied around his lest wrist, and then extends his arm out to grip Marcus' shaft.

Couldn't resist :lol:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Grima remains at a distance from the skeleton.

If this is a "cutscene" and everyone needs to do this to proceed Grima complies.

Otherwise he stays clear of the skeleton and his dubious pact.

Also for level up, do we get the spell also? It says in rules level up spells still need to be researched?

And we only increase our max hp, current hp doesn't go up until next rest right?

By the rules it seems I can pick a spell of any level, is that the case?

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grima remains at a distance from the skeleton.

If this is a "cutscene" and everyone needs to do this to proceed Grima complies.

Otherwise he stays clear of the skeleton and his dubious pact.

Also for level up, do we get the spell also? It says in rules level up spells still need to be researched?

And we only increase our max hp, current hp doesn't go up until next rest right?

By the rules it seems I can pick a spell of any level, is that the case?
  • You don't have to do anything. If you don't allow yourself to be "tested" then I will take that into account and things will proceed (albeit in a different way)
  • When you level up, you are assumed to have been doing research on your own during downtime, etc. You simply roll 1d200 and take the random spell from the excel spreadsheet I provided. If you duplicate a known spell, roll again.
  • Hit Points work like this: Roll your accumulated Hit Dice (2d6 now) and add any CON modifiers. If the new total exceeds your old hit points use the new total. If the old HP value is higher keep that. Current HP goes up with Max (you're not wounded)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom