Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please convince me to play Chrono Trigger.

Dire Roach

Prophet
This thread reminded me of Alundra, the TRUE spiritual successor of Landstalker. Were there any other great 2D Zelda clones made in the post-SNES era? There must have been at least one for the Saturn or Dreamcast...

Murk

Arcane
I recommended Alundra previously ;(

Post-SNES and 2d? Hrmmm... Blood Omen 1 definitely fits and was great. Brave Fencer Musashi was 3d but I think the camera was fixed angle top-down view? Legend of Oasis on Saturn... (successor to Beyond Oasis for Genesis which was a Zelda-3-like). There were quite a few on SNES and Genesis, actually...

EDIT: there's also quite a few on GBA (top down hack'n'slash adventure games), though honestly I am not familiar with the library of games there.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Mikayel said:
Well, I apologize for not clicking the link you posted when you wrote something like "hai guise read my cool jrpg list from this other thread!" :)

But yeah, I'll definitely give Blood Omen a try. I recall the Legacy of Kain series getting lots of praise around the 'Dex.

fastjack

Augur
just to clarify since for some reason both of the 16bit shadowrun games got mentioned: they are in no way jrpgs. they may be console rpgs (the snes one is an adventure game with stats really) but they were developed by westerners and you can def. tell.

both are recommended though, especially the sega one which is the best rpg on any console i reckon. (though i played the snes one first and think its atmosphere is better)

even playing the genesis version for the first time in like 2004-5 i fell in love with it. granted i had become a huge pnp shadowrun fan by then, having bought the books because of how much i enjoyed the snes game.

anyway my point is please do not trash these great games or the shadowrun universe/brand by calling them (hell or even comparing them) to jrpg crap. thank you

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
dermatologist said:
no love for xenogears? i thought that game was pretty chill but it's a bit of a trip nay miz? plus there are hella animated videos so you won't feel a need to queue up the hentai and/or dragon ball z reruns if you are into that shit
Xenogears is the shit. As in poop.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I quite liked Terranegro, but I stopped somewhere after restoring my second town and fighting that retarded banshee boss. Should really pick it up again sometime. Someone give me incentive.

And it had the wonderful goat molestation scene.

terranigma.png

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
There wasn't actually any molestation in that scene. Ark proved himself by avoiding the goat lady's advances.

made

Arcane
The only "classic" jrpgs worth playing are of the Warsong/Langrisser variety. Unless u r a fag or sth.

Luzur

Good Sir
ScottishMartialArts said:
I loved Secret of Mana...

Still have my copy and my SNES in a box out in the garage.

i dunno, why not like, go out there and take it in from the humidity/rats and sell it for lots of cash instead?

Luzur

Good Sir
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I quite liked Terranegro, but I stopped somewhere after restoring my second town and fighting that retarded banshee boss. Should really pick it up again sometime. Someone give me incentive.

And it had the wonderful goat molestation scene.

terranigma.png

if you ask her for rest you two will snuggle up real close too.

Luzur said:

i dunno, why not like, go out there and take it in from the humidity/rats and sell it for lots of cash instead?

Because it's likely to be all yellow and fugly, and the cartridge battery must be already dead.

R.I.P. CK's SNES :salute:

Murk

Arcane
Dire Roach said:
Mikayel said:
Well, I apologize for not clicking the link you posted when you wrote something like "hai guise read my cool jrpg list from this other thread!" :)

But yeah, I'll definitely give Blood Omen a try. I recall the Legacy of Kain series getting lots of praise around the 'Dex.

if you hadn't read both threads I guess I could see how it might be pointless to try the other - but the two focus on the same damn topics, really.

BO 1 has great atmosphere, relatively cool storyline, MAGNIFICENT VOICE OVERS, and actually pretty cool cinematics. Definitely worth getting the pc or ps version with the cinematics intact.

Also, there's a certain war in the game that is fuggin' AWESOME.

Razz

Educated
Has anyone played Lunar? I've heard good things of that series and been meaning to try it. It looks about as anime faggotry as Secret of Mana, but I didn't really have a problem with that one. Is it worth playing?

Murk

Arcane
Lunar is terrible, avoid it. Annoying as hell characters, constant anime-cutesy-bullshit, terrible storyline, bad combat, etc.

Star Ocean 1/2 is a better idea if you want the whole "move around (sort of) during combat" deal, or Tales of Destiny 2 if you want anime but decent.

Apparently, Lunar has a sympathetic and interesting main villain. I didn't play up to the point where he reveals his motives, though (he starts as a moustache twirling fag, kidnapping the girl).

It also seems to be a fukken classik. You could try the Sega CD versions, the PS1 ones are remakes.

Another thing; contrary to what one would expect, the Digimon World series on the PS1/2 can be quite challenging if you don't powerlevel. 1 is a Monster Rancher-like, 2/3/5 are traditional jrpgs, 4 is a Gauntlet-like.

DW 4's first boss is called Apocalypsemon or something. My anus was not prepared.

Murk

Arcane
Which Lunar are you talking about? Anyway, I've played both on PS 1 and the second (eternal blue) on Sega CD -- not worth it.

All of them, with the fuckawesome Magic Emperor. Eh kidnaps maidens and doesn't afraid of anything.

Ghaleon is a character that serves as the main antagonist, and final boss in Lunar: Silver Star Story, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar Legend, and later returns as a major antagonist in Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete.

lunar2.jpg

the fact that he's actually a pale elf under that armor can be safely ignored

Murk

Arcane
He really isn't sympathetic or interesting...

It is actually a very typical "gathers army of monster" deal in Silver Star Story and in Eternal Blue he's just... being a cunt for some imposter goddess.

Or hell, fuck it, yeah go play 'em -- the graphics are pretty cartoony but neat... at the least.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Luzur said:

I still pull it out and play SNES games every few years. The console itself has turned all yellow as the early SNES consoles are want to do but it and all of the games still work fine. The box is kind of like an oversized Tupperware container so it's safe from moisture, animal feces, and the like. It's only in the garage because I don't have room for it in the house.

Luzur

Good Sir
you dont have room for a box that is about the same size of a book in your house?

you live in a 1 room apartment?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I quite liked Terranegro, but I stopped somewhere after restoring my second town and fighting that retarded banshee boss. Should really pick it up again sometime. Someone give me incentive

So I decided to do just that.

[23:49:01] Hattifattener says: I am still not sure if Terranigma is good
[23:49:09] Hattifattener says: I don't quite understand what's happening anymore
[23:49:38] Hattifattener says: I have gone from restoring the continents of the world to taking tin plates to sailors so that they can make canned sardines and spark the industrial revolution
[23:49:57] Hattifattener says: to releasing a mad scientist from cryogenic storage for a reason I don't understand and have him tell me "thank you for arousing me"
[23:50:18] Hattifattener says: And then I died
[23:50:41] Hattifattener says: and then I went on a long fetch quest to stupidly obscure hidden locations with the end goal of dying again and turning into a baby
[23:52:21] Hattifattener says: in the meantime I was bitched out by a crazy princess for being sad that my lifelong girlfriend fell into a portal to hell that appeared for no reason in particular and didn't surprise anyone
[23:53:18] Hattifattener says: and now it's getting more confusing
[23:55:24] Hattifattener says: also I fought a boss that hurts you on contact, except his hurt-contact-box extends to an arbitrary distance beyond his actual HITBOX so you need to stand inside the hurtbox to actually hit him
[23:55:29] Hattifattener says: anger
[23:55:32] Hattifattener says: Japan

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom