Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
First hour?

You don't know anything about first hour. Look at Divinity OS and tell me how would you think about it in first hour. (There is that juicy murder investigation, Ardou is explaining fine points of wathing naked women when you turn yourelf into cat...)
Yeah. He may think the game is good now, but once he's played through it 7 times he will understand that it's shit.
:rpgcodex:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Oh dear Obsidian ....

I have one of the press accounts. Not really sure how much I'm allowed to say at this point.

The game is really good so far. Feels like Baldur's Gate 3. Lore seems crazy deep.

It is crashing to desktop on probably ~30% of all scene transitions (map loads) for me, though. Save often!

Yeah, I don't get it. I've got 35+ hours playing the game without a single crash.

polo

Magister
Oh dear Obsidian ....

I have one of the press accounts. Not really sure how much I'm allowed to say at this point.

The game is really good so far. Feels like Baldur's Gate 3. Lore seems crazy deep.

It is crashing to desktop on probably ~30% of all scene transitions (map loads) for me, though. Save often!

Yeah, I don't get it. I've got 35+ hours playing the game without a single crash.
Well shit happens, obsidian should check this guys rig.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
I want a press copy. :( I'm from the... Dinosaur Inquirer. We specialize in dick jokes and yo momma jokes. And if you don't trust me, check my signature for our authenticity.

Why, yes sir, come this way. I can't believe our oversight in not sending review code to the Dinosaur Inquirer. I mean, the article about yo momma jokes and how it relates to the modern velociraptor - groundbreaking stuff.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Oh dear Obsidian ....

I mentioned this on the Obsidian forums, but he is likely running a 32-bit system. Unity does not play well with 32-bit systems. With our latest round of optimizations we are no longer getting crashes on our internal 32-bit systems, so we are hoping that this won't be an issue for folks at release.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I asked him anyway - I'll find out for ya.

It's the IGN editor though so I think he may have a better computer than that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't plan to review it in next few days, I'd rather do Rome 2 EE, and then do some HW.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I mentioned this on the Obsidian forums, but he is likely running a 32-bit system. Unity does not play well with 32-bit systems. With our latest round of optimizations we are no longer getting crashes on our internal 32-bit systems, so we are hoping that this won't be an issue for folks at release.
We measured something north of 90% of the CTD reports we got being due to combinations of insufficient RAM and 32-bit systems. 4 GB of RAM and 32-bit being a particularly lethal combination, technically inside minimum specs but if you push your settings with those specs you will CTD. I would hope most reviewers have more up to date builds than that though, 32-bit is really going the way of the dinosaur.

m_s0

Arcane
We measured something north of 90% of the CTD reports we got being due to combinations of insufficient RAM and 32-bit systems. 4 GB of RAM and 32-bit being a particularly lethal combination, technically inside minimum specs but if you push your settings with those specs you will CTD. I would hope most reviewers have more up to date builds than that though, 32-bit is really going the way of the dinosaur.
Not to mention a waste of that unused RAM.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Anthony Davis

I'm on a 32 bit system, yes.

I'm on a 2011 Macbook Pro booted into Win7 via bootcamp. It's a complete guess, but my guess would be CPU, yes. Because it's the weakest part of this system. It has 4GB RAM and a 1GB gfx card, so they should both be fine. The CPU, on the other hand, is pretty old.

He is in fact on a 32-bit system

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Oh dear Obsidian ....

Hooray! The cavalry is here! I don't have to forward this information on. Brandon, you really need a more unique avatar for people like me, who are too lazy to read names and just use the avatars to spot people.

For example, Sensuki is blue lady.
mindx2 is stabby dude.
brother none is glowing astronaut
etc.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis

I'm on a 2011 Macbook Pro booted into Win7 via bootcamp. It's a complete guess, but my guess would be CPU, yes. Because it's the weakest part of this system. It has 4GB RAM and a 1GB gfx card, so they should both be fine. The CPU, on the other hand, is pretty old.

He is in fact on a 32-bit system

badler - sensuki got the answers. Is there a way we can patch it for him or tell him how to adjust his settings or something? I don't know. I'm going back to my tank game.

Sensuki

Arcane
The issue is probably the 2GB per process memory limit for 32-bit systems, and he's got a 1GB integrated graphics card, so his system memory would probably be eating into some of that 2.5GB he's got left (especially Windows 7).

He actually doesn't have an integrated card

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Running an updated IE looking game shouldn't be a problem even if you are running it on a modern calculator - let alone on this kind of configuration.
Either write your own engine or use something other than shit Unity = problem solved.

Shevek

Arcane
The guy is running windows on a mac thats 4g of ram below recommended specs and hes using that crap to review the game. Thats quality gaming journalism right there.

Sensuki

Arcane
He's also an IGN editor - you would think he'd have a good PC to review these AAA games ?

I always worry about these memory optimizations ... usually it means texture and 2D compression ;_; like the beautiful loading screens (SAVED 720P VERSIONS FROM EARLIER BUILD TO BE LATER RESTORED YEAHHHHH)

Shevek

Arcane
Its IGN... Jesus. Does he know hes way below recommended specs?

Arkadin

Arcane

:what:

The basis for quality journalism right there...the game is 2d lol I should be able to run it on outdated shit.

Athelas

Arcane
Can't wait till Sensuki starts sending death threats to PoE reviewers (in addition to just stalking them). :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom