Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My point is that backer buzz + review buzz > review buzz, and if the goal is to gain as much buzz on release as possible the logic seems pretty cut and dry.

What you are talking about is more review embargos, which do make sense, but as I understand it those end on monday anyway, so that would be a good time to also let backers start talking about the game by having them play it.
I completely understand wanting the game to be released as soon as possible, but trust me when I say that the extra cleanup and polish goes a long way. It can take a game from good to great in my opinion.

That's a more diplomatic way of saying this isn't really ready, and non-reviewers don't have the context to understand.

Plus some of those backers would inevitably leak it and that's no fun.

Athelas

Arcane
I hope casuals get annoyed enough by it that Obsidian will have to remove it in a post patch.
It will take more than a simple post-release patch since unfortunately many of the spells/abilities are designed around a static battle field, even the ones that don't relate to engagement directly.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I hope casuals get annoyed enough by it that Obsidian will have to remove it in a post patch.
It will take more than a simple post-release patch since unfortunately many of the spells/abilities are designed around a static battle field, even the ones that don't relate to engagement directly.

It's really not that hard to modify. Editing those files in Unity doesn't take very long, and neither does cutting it out of the code. Re-writing the descriptions would probably take more time

Athelas

Arcane

It's really not that hard to modify. Editing those files in Unity doesn't take very long, and neither does cutting it out of the code. Re-writing the descriptions would probably take more time
That's not what I meant. For example, I think many of the AoE attacks assume enemies are engaged by your tank and therefore clustered around each other. The fear effect also got cut presumably because a panicked character running around would trigger disengagement attacks all over the place.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's not what I meant. For example, I think many of the AoE attacks assume enemies are engaged by your tank and therefore clustered around each other.

What's that got to do with engagement? It doesn't matter. Positioning has more relevance to who attacks who now than engagement does now that they made targeting a little bit better.

The engagment system has been very buggy, they apparently fixed the disengagement attacks bug that I showed off recently.

Why would removing engagement be such an easy process, Sensuki? Just stripping out one pillar of the combat structure affects a lot of things around it doesn't it? (AI thinking it can't easily disengage, fighters becoming suboptimal, spell effects like Athelas mentioned, and probably plenty of other stuff that isn't immediately apparent).

hiver

Engagement should not be removed completely. Thats a non solution. Countering one extreme nonsense with another just like it only opposite.

My version of it was sent up the "devline"... but it would have been much better if it was done like it from the start. If they change it in some patch or update it would seem like they are admitting their design was bad... which will cause them not to change it, of course.
The usual.

Engagement should not be removed completely. Thats a non solution. Countering one extreme nonsense with another just like it only opposite.

My version of it was sent up the "devline"... but it would have been much better if it was done like it from the start. If they change it in some patch or update it would seem like they are admitting their design was bad... which will cause them not to change it, of course.
The usual.
And what is your version? Just curious.

hiver

The only logical one. Give engagement only to fighters. A basic starting level of it to a very few select other classes, as a talent but without possibility to improve it which is reserved for fighters only. And maybe a few select monsters where it would be appropriate.
There is more details to it but i dont feel like writing that, or copy pasting it here again at all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is amazing that every thread about PoE will turn into an argument about game mechanics. Aren't we talking about reviewers playing PoE?

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why do people care about reviewers, again?

If Shitaku praises the game, the writing must be a massive turd of shitty pandering.

Sensuki

Arcane
Why would removing engagement be such an easy process, Sensuki? Just stripping out one pillar of the combat structure affects a lot of things around it doesn't it? (AI thinking it can't easily disengage, fighters becoming suboptimal, spell effects like Athelas mentioned, and probably plenty of other stuff that isn't immediately apparent).

Our mod doesn't completely remove it, it just removes the disengagement attacks and the engagement UI components. AI stays the same.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why do people care about reviewers, again?

If Shitaku praises the game, the writing must be a massive turd of shitty pandering.
Because that means more sales and PoE will have expansions and PoE2 will have a bigger budget. Also it shows idiots that are making SCL that games like PoE sell more than their MMO like bullshit.

Mazisky

Magister
Having good reviews is the only thing we've to care about for seeing this genre raising up instead of dying miserably.

In general it's VERY CLASSY AND FRIENDLY.
Why does it sound like he's describing a high-priced hooker?

Really, I'm just happy they don't describe it like food.

"Good in small bite-sized portions before the main course, but too much will leave you full before dessert" - kill yourself

I want a press copy. :( I'm from the... Dinosaur Inquirer. We specialize in dick jokes and yo momma jokes. And if you don't trust me, check my signature for our authenticity.

Nice try, Jim motherfucking Sterling.

Shevek

Arcane
I like the disengagement attacks. I enjoy forcing enemy movement and getting disengagement attacks on them. I enjoy having to consider whether or not it is worth it to move a character that is under fire and, if so, determining the best way to go about it. Honestly, the system plays very well and I just dont get the criticisms when the latest beta plays so well. The assumption that there will be some call from the populace to change it assumes that the populace plays a very specific way. I dont think that will be the case.

Sensuki

Arcane
Shevek said:
I enjoy forcing enemy movement and getting disengagement attacks on them

They patched that out, the regular ones you see are a bug apparently.

There are many of us that just plain hate the philosophy behind the combat design regarding movement. Back to tabletop/turn-based with it.

Shevek

Arcane
Naw, Im pretty sure I will be able to come up with ways to get disengagement attacks on enemies. Whether its by knocking them about the battlefield or what have you. I am not talking about the exploit you did while pulling the Medreth's group.

Shevek

Arcane
All that remains is the player taunting enemies and exploiting the ai at no risk to the player.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I wish my funbuilding series will sometimes grow big enough to merit review copies. It's not even about having to pay money for the games - it's just that people want to read such guides as soon as they launch the game and, well, you want to make those as fast as humanely possible.

Mazisky

Magister
I'm a decent Moba player (Plat 1 on LoL \ Rank 16 Hots) and i still think i'll use a more static playstyle for this game, more turn-based like, engagement system or not. Dunno why, tho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom