Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL: Is your general sentiment towards POE negative or positive?

Is your general sentiment towards the game negative or positive?

• Negative

Votes: 105 26.6%
  • Positive

Votes: 192 48.7%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 97 24.6%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
stop-biting-fingernails-800x800.jpg

Hormalakh

Magister
Just so disappointed. Couldn't get myself to play more than a few hours. I don't know why. It just doesn't grip me like the old IE games did. The combat is pure trash, the story is boring, Just so disappointed. I really wish I hadn't spent money on this game.

In one weekend, I bought and played a completely different game and ended up playing for 100 hours. PoE? 10 hours would have been amazing.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My feeling toward the gameplay was that it was pretty good, better in small bites, and that the story was a bit better. This complicated my experience because like any story I wanted to get to the ending as quickly as possible, but didn't enjoy the combat more than an hour or so a day.

In terms of graphics and art the game is amazing. Quest design was also great for a game of this type (non-first person, limited physics). Environments and dungeon design were ... okay, with moments of inspiration. In terms of reactivity and interactivity its pretty middle of the road and nowhere near as developed as the thematic undertow of being a Watcher suggests it should be, but what is there is pretty good. In terms of narrative it made a lot of smart choices but also some pretty bewildering ones, evening out as okay. Encounter design was pretty lame but okay for RtwP and amazing compared to the other contemporary release (DA:I).

The execution of the fortress is bewildering to me.

So overall it was like a 7/10 experience, but on gaming's thumbs up-thumbs down approach to reviews that makes it 10/10.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
In one weekend, I bought and played a completely different game and ended up playing for 100 hours.
I'm not sure what you're doing playing games when you seem to have mastered the art of folding time and space.

Hormalakh

Magister
I'm not sure what you're doing playing games when you seem to have mastered the art of folding time and space.

Ended up playing longer than just the weekend obviously. I started on the weekend and ended up playing throughout the rest of the week. I thought the readers here at the Codex were intelligent - I guess not. My 100 hours is based on the Steam "hours played" marker, not out of my own asshole.

And no, not GTA V. I don't play those kinds of games. It was Endless Legend, a 4X.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Ended up playing longer than just the weekend obviously. I started on the weekend and ended up playing throughout the rest of the week. I thought the readers here at the Codex were intelligent - I guess not. My 100 hours is based on the Steam "hours played" marker, not out of my own asshole.

And no, not GTA V. I don't play those kinds of games. It was Endless Legend, a 4X.
Endless Legend looks like a really solid game, seriously. Wish I wasn't so hooked on GTA V right now, heh.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
:lol::lol::lol:

I have 24 hours in Endless Legends, amateurs, and I'm starting a new campaign since I just bought the Guardians expansion. All the while playing 110 hours of PoE and I'll be starting my second playthrough today. Get on my level. :cool:

ArchAngel

Arcane
:lol::lol::lol:

I have 24 hours in Endless Legends, amateurs, and I'm starting a new campaign since I just bought the Guardians expansion. All the while playing 110 hours of PoE and I'll be starting my second playthrough today. Get on my level. :cool:
I have 75 hours of EL and 147 h of PoE :P (did one play through only).

roshan

Arcane
This is a pretty interesting poll, and diverges a lot with the traditional rating system in JC's poll. If you go by JC's poll, you have 69.4% of people that liked the game, then there's 16.9% that's ambivalent, and a very measly 7.1% that gave it a bad rating, and of course a small minority that abstained from voting. However, that really doesn't explain at all the overwhelming negativity on these forums (but really, when you create a game that has no redeeming quality except poorly designed graphics that actually detract from gameplay... then that is really to be expected). As I suspected, this poll has hit closer to the truth than the standard rating system, we find that a significantly larger percentage of Codexers actually feel negatively towards the game, in fact, the ratio of negative to positive has been a fairly even 3:5 from the beginning of the poll.

Given that this is a fan forum, that Obsidian has for a long time been the Codex's favorite developer (without any really compelling reason for that matter), that most people were looking forward to the game, and that this RPG was supposed to be right up the Codex's alley (at least the basic premise of it), and that it features extensive systems and structures somewhat reminiscent of older games..... 48% positive sentiment really isn't a good result for POE.

Athelas

Arcane
Given that this is a fan forum, that Obsidian has for a long time been the Codex's favorite developer (without any really compelling reason for that matter), that most people were looking forward to the game, and that this RPG was supposed to be right up the Codex's alley (at least the basic premise of it), and that it features extensive systems and structures somewhat reminiscent of older games..... 48% positive sentiment really isn't a good result for POE.
Did you somehow miss the 1000+ page megathread of butthurt? The game was controversial before it was even announced and was always going to have a mixed reception.

Lhynn

Arcane
Did you somehow miss the 1000+ page megathread of butthurt? The game was controversial before it was even announced and was always going to have a mixed reception.
Bullshit, it only needed to be good.

roshan

Arcane

Yes, it was already controversial due to Sawyer's "design" decisions, such as no combat XP, no hard counters, no interesting items, no spells that improve with level, per encounter abilities, running around like headless chickens in combat, ANEMESHUNZ!!!, might increasing spell and gun damage, no bashing of locks, no multiclassing, and so on and so forth. Practically every "controversial" element of design in POE turned out to be an extremely retarded decision. It basically illustrates that the average Codexer has more common sense than everyone in Obshittian put together.

But if you look at the threads here, you will find a lot more being bashed post release. Apparently, the setting sucks, the quest design sucks, area design and content sucks, dialogue sucks, dungeon design sucks, the encounter design is complete and utter shit and so on. For example, now we know things that we never even expected, such as for example that in this game your characters will switch targets in combat to enemies you never ordered them to fight and will refuse to switch taget back to the original enemy even when commanded to do so.

So it's probably fair to say that the game not only failed in the various aspects in which it was obviously going to be a failure, but also in every aspect in which it was actually almost universally expected to succeed.

Shevek

Arcane
The setting, quest design, area design and content, dialogue, and dungeons all seem good-to-great to me. I think encounter design is uneven but I wouldnt say it sucks (and many of the issues there have to do with an overabundance of experience alotted to the player leading to an uneven difficulty curve - the latest patch has already begun to address this).

The game's biggest flaw is not in any of those things. It is the uneven storytelling. The plot is solid but it could be delivered a tad bit better. This leads to a lack of investment too early in the game. In both BG1 and BG2, one feels a bit of a dip player excitement at the middle/end (once you enter Baldur's Gate and once you get the 25K in BG2). In PoE, you tend to get a bit restless by mid act 2 (too early). Some better story telling (like BG2's dream sequences) could keep the player more invested. Also, more could have been done to frame the importance of defining your past or having your choices in a2 carry over more impactfully to a3.

Still, for a "genesis of the hero" story, this is a damn good entry overall. The game picks up the pace at the end (loved the God quests and the end stuff, VERY well done) and I am sure that PoE2 will deliver on some seriously strong god murdering fun. The constraints they had in MotB (not being able to tear down the wall, etc) wont be an issue here. PoE is easily a better game, in just about every single respect except maybe exploration than BG1 and I think it gives BG2 a run for its money.

This is the Codex though and some people gotta bitch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's with the complaint that "spells don't improve with level"? Every single spell that uses your Accuracy stat to hit stuff improves with level, by definition. MORE spells improve with level in PoE than in AD&D, where it was inconsistent.

Shevek

Arcane
He wants more magic missles to shoot out every x levels. The fact low level spells continue to be important into the mid game is unimportant to him. He wants more glowing balls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom