Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL: Old "Brofist" or the new "Button Parade"?

Which is better, the new system or the old one?

• Total voters

EG

Nullified
Butthurt, Country_Gravy? I'll get you for that . . .

You and your little collection of boxed games.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's too many options. At most, we'd just need a positive and a negative one.

^Haha, yeah, that has the potential to generate much butthurt. Burning Bridges's post on the last page was rated "Retarded" only three time, and that was enough for it to be hidden.

edit: Hmm, HHR's post on page 3 was hidden despite getting 5 Brofists and 1 Agree, because of 1 Retarded and 1 Butthurt. The system needs to be tweaked or soon everything will be hidden, as has been said everyone is butthurt about something, and everyone finds something retarded.

So we're moving to a system of less discussion, just reply by click! Fuck that. The great thing about the Codex is all the tl;dr posts.

And hiding posts that a few dislike? Guess what, some of the boldest things said are highly disagreed with. Hiding implies those things are not worth reading.

And I thought the whole spirit of the Codex was that we had tremendous freedom to express ourselves, but there was always that undercurrent that a poster was expected to be able to justify his beliefs and opinions. I remember hearing multiple people state "On the Codex we let idiots give themselves enough rope to hang them." If someones an idiot, let them show it. Drowning out the dissenting opinion is idiotic on a forum known to be the dissenting opinion on many topics.

See, the problem is that the forum is made up of users, it's not a separate entity. If you have to enforce the spirit of the Codex in some manner, it's not really the spirit of the Codex.

The rating buttons are irrelevant. If people keep posting as always, great. If people stop posting and instead just rate everything "good" or "retarded", it means their posts were going to be "tl;dr: agree" or "tl;dr: retarded" tripe anyway, so no one cares.

Erzherzog

Magister
I'm not arguing to enforce "the spirit of the Codex." Or at least my idea of enforcement is to enforce less. We've essentially empowered all users to regulate each other.

And, for clarification, by "tl;dr posts" I mean posts that are...'tl' not the guy saying it's too long. Extremely poor wording on my part.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
if we're going to stick with this how about removing everything save for brofist and lulz? or keep agree/disagree(even if it's mostly useless) too

Yeah, "enforcing" isn't the right word either. It's more like, the fear of turning the forum into "reply-by-click" is unfounded. Adding ratings won't make the forum more or less :obviously:, that still depends solely on the users. Whoever uses it as a laziness-friendly substitute for actual posts probably wasn't going to contribute much to begin with.

Erzherzog

Magister
I just rubs me the wrong way. Keep in mind I'm basically frothing at the mouth so my posts are like 50% attempt at making points and 50% bitching

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
There are three main arguments I can bring up:
You have some sort of problem, Haba? You have some kind of issue with this entirely optional feature? You sure do seem mighty butthurt about it. You're carrying on as if it's got your goat. Well let me tell you something, Haba, let me tell you: What you think doesn't matter. What you think is irrelevant. What you think is completely meaningless and is of no concern.

You pull out statistics, research and studies as if they have some "meaning", as if they have some sort of "relevance". You act as if you can cite some bullshit survey, wave your arms and say "See, I'm right" and this will all magically go away. You act as if what you say here has some sort of impact. This post, this poll, these pathetic attempts you make at pushing your argument, do you think any of it will work? Do you think anything you've done will ever work?

Let me make it clear to you, Haba, right here, right now, so that there's no confusion. So that it's crystally clear in your mind in such a way that it leaves not one essence of doubt.

It doesn't work that way. It doesn't work that way at all.

I'll tell you now, in the clearest way possible, that you can make as many empty statements or pull out as many statistically analysed facts as you like and it won't change a thing.

It won't change a thing.

It won't change a thing because the only thing that matters around here is what I think. The only thing that matters around here is what I do.

And do you think you can stop me, Haba? Do you really think a few words tossed out here and there is going to change my mind?

You can't stop me, Haba. None of you can. I'm the God-damned Administrator here. I'm the one who holds you all by your fat, tiny little squalid testicles. I make this place run. I keep this place ticking so that you can all continue to post your inane crap and have it documented for all time. In here, in this place, I'm the puppet master. I'm the one who pulls your strings. You dance to my tune, in my playhouse. You think you have some sort of say in what goes on around here?

I decide the opening number, when the final scene occurs and what kind of fucking nuts are available during the intermission.

And let me tell you something about those nuts, Haba, they're salty - because I goddamned like them that way.

I like them that way because that's the way it is. I eat raw steel and shit rating systems out before breakfast. I take on bears with my laser eyes and shred metal with my diamond claws. I'm a God-damned bear-munching steel-chewing titanium built administrating machine.

Now let me make you understand, I feed on your butthurt. Your complaints are nothing but sweet beautiful music to my ears. They bring tears of joy to my eyes. They even give me a bit of a chub. I feed on your sweet, delicious butthurt and grow ever more powerful. So much more fucking powerful. You just don't even know what you're dealing with here. You don't even know what you don't know you don't know you know.

Understand?

So be butthurt about it. See if I care. Complain about it all you like. Protest, whinge, block it with adblock, do your worst. Because nothing you do will change anything, Haba. Nothing you do will change one single thing. Now, go ahead and pray for this feature to be removed, Haba, and you go to your church, and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle, but if you're looking for God, he's in the fucking Administration Panel right now, and he doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
now we can see what a bully this guy is and we shouldn't play with him.
c'mon haba, let's play ball. *tosses bloodbowl at Haba*
steam id: farkov47

Repressed Homosexual
Or maybe I don't know, alienate all of your best members, who are overwhelmingly against this, and make them decide posting here is more hassle than it's worth? Who will be left to bully and tease then?

Have fun, I guess, mon ami.

EG: I love RPGs and candid opinions, and this site is very valuable for that, true. But at the end of the day, it is light entertainment and a pleasant community, and nothing more. When you have a life to live, and a family to take care of, if a source of entertainment involves dealing with mountains of inanity, it's easily dismissed.

You can't never listen to what the people want, because the community is nothing without the people. Look at sites like Digg a few years back, and Digg now, or Myspace.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
EG: I love RPGs and candid opinions, and this site is very valuable for that, true. But at the end of the day, it is light entertainment and a pleasant community, and nothing more. When you have a life to live, and a family to take care of, if a source of entertainment involves dealing with mountains of inanity, it's easily dismissed.

You can't never listen to what the people want, because the community is nothing without the people. Look at sites like Digg a few years back, and Digg now, or Myspace.
site's hardly going to die off because of this feature

actually why the fuck are you even taking what he said seriously

a pleasant community
sad but true

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'm the God-damned Administrator here. I'm the one who holds you all by your fat, tiny little squalid testicles. I make this place run. I keep this place ticking so that you can all continue to post your inane crap and have it documented for all time. In here, in this place, I'm the puppet master. I'm the one who pulls your strings. You dance to my tune, in my playhouse. You think you have some sort of say in what goes on around here?

You should have this on the banner instead of that tortoise story when you beg for our jewgold DU.

kazgar

Arcane
I'm still waiting to see the mod that felipepepe paid for implemented, everyone's getting to distracted by brofist's when we should be getting excited about title editing.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I'm the God-damned Administrator here. I'm the one who holds you all by your fat, tiny little squalid testicles. I make this place run. I keep this place ticking so that you can all continue to post your inane crap and have it documented for all time. In here, in this place, I'm the puppet master. I'm the one who pulls your strings. You dance to my tune, in my playhouse. You think you have some sort of say in what goes on around here?

You should have this on the banner instead of that tortoise story when you beg for our jewgold DU.

M:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

M:

That was meant as a joke, but it sounded a bit confrontational.

Shouldn't piss off the man with the ban hammer when his kingdom is in a transitional state.

laclongquan

Arcane
Weak, DU, that's just weak.

You should have ended with a
english-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm still waiting to see the mod that felipepepe paid for implemented, everyone's getting to distracted by brofist's when we should be getting excited about title editing.
You mean the mod I installed yesterday? Haven't you seen all the "this post was last edited" popping up.

I still don't have the option of using this new rating system.

Something I'm supposed to download?
Clean out your cookies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom