Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Troika

Which was the least flawed Troika rpg?

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I find Arcanum's combat quite adequate for a single character RPG. In turn based, you have enough tactical control over a situation that you can win hard fights with some effort (use grenades, spells, etc), but when you want to get a fight over with quickly you switch to real time and slice your way through the enemies in 5 seconds.

I never felt the combat to be unclear, even in the rapidly fast real time mode. Every swing tells you whether it's a hit, miss, crit, etc.

Arcanum's combat is alright, i agree and far more enjoyable than NWN 2 OC but is alright enough ?

I remember having a lot of fun playing Arcanum when it first game out - my wife and I played it together, and she beat the damned game, whilst I never have .... $&%^#%$@! ............................ On the other hand ToEE holds the dearest place in my heart because of my D&D and Greyhawk roots from many moons ago.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I find Arcanum's combat quite adequate for a single character RPG.
But Arcanum is not a single-character RPG. :M It deprives the player of control over the rest of the party, which makes combat less complex and considerably duller than it should be. Although this reduced player control at least has the benefit of shortening the average duration of combat, the time that could have been saved is instead filled with repetitive trash encounters. A smaller number of better designed encounters with full party control would have greatly improved combat and therefore the game as a whole.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
But Arcanum is not a single-character RPG. :M It deprives the player of control over the rest of the party, which makes combat less complex and considerably duller than it should be. Although this reduced player control at least has the benefit of shortening the average duration of combat, the time that could have been saved is instead filled with repetitive trash encounters. A smaller number of better designed encounters with full party control would have greatly improved combat and therefore the game as a whole.
It's a single-character RPG if you dump Charisma and piss off/kill Virgil.

But yes combat definitely has room for improvement.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Playing as a fighter literally consists of clicking on an enemy to attack, then waiting for 2 full minutes while occasionally quaffing a potion until your character has cut his way through the enemy trash mob in excruciatingly slow combat that only has one action every 6 seconds.

You get a second attack starting at level 6 and haste also gives you another attack.

Meanwhile Arcanum's trash fights are completely over and done with after 6 seconds.

The end dungeon in Swordflight Chapter 1 is better than every dungeon in Arcanum.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Playing as a fighter literally consists of clicking on an enemy to attack, then waiting for 2 full minutes while occasionally quaffing a potion until your character has cut his way through the enemy trash mob in excruciatingly slow combat that only has one action every 6 seconds.

You get a second attack starting at level 6 and haste also gives you another attack.

Meanwhile Arcanum's trash fights are completely over and done with after 6 seconds.

The end dungeon in Swordflight Chapter 1 is better than every dungeon in Arcanum.
Swordflight is a legit masterpiece and every part of it is better than every part of vanilla NWN.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
What does NWN have to do with Troika?
Screen_Shot_2019-11-14_at_12.59.03_PM.jpg

They were comparing which combat system is better.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't disagree that full party control would have improved Arcanum. It would improve every game with a party but no control.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I don't disagree that full party control would have improved Arcanum. It would improve every game with a party but no control.
Full party control would make Arcanum too easy. There is full party control mod for Fallout 2, and it makes the game a walk in the park.
Even on the highest difficulty?

I am going to have to look at that mod. I'm planning on playing Fallout 2 soon and that sounds amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom