Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Portraits for PoE Thread

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've decided to give the game another shot with everyone saying how it's actually playable now with the latest patch. I really liked the female pale elf portrait but I wanted to play a wood elf for the ranged acc and I didn't like the other one, so I fucked around with photoshop a bit.

A09y9BJ.png
RDgcDDm.png

tELsYvU.png
5rF9ayx.png

Last edited:
I'm also starting a new one, this one with bimbo-ified versions of the companions, which hopefully will make me actually want to play them. (And wow, it's impossible to find good black-skinned character art) The first woman will be my main character:

v750r5w.jpg
VQEn7T5.jpg

Z2dsg9Y.png
Pd2RwOM.png

Z2aJ2Ad.png
7Q24CEa.png

u5bJ4BX.jpg
ChWIwjh.jpg

tEX1uOf.png
b33WnzC.png

tyYcHjD.jpg
bh86YFj.jpg

wTo3h7p.jpg
EWP4RlT.jpg

hell bovine

Arcane
I'm also starting a new one, this one with bimbo-ified versions of the companions, which hopefully will make me actually want to play them. (And wow, it's impossible to find good black-skinned character art) The first woman will be my main character:
Generally I avoid "social media", but this page has a lot of very good portraits for female characters:
http://char-portraits.tumblr.com/

example (I dislike elves, this one rocks, however) - art by Simon Gocal:
tumblr_nz9empwYoE1sazby5o2_500.jpg

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Generally I avoid "social media", but this page has a lot of very good portraits for female characters:

example (I dislike elves, this one rocks, however) - art by Simon Gocal:
tumblr_nz9empwYoE1sazby5o2_500.jpg

- Frequently uses Tumblr to look up pictures of fantasy anime girls.

:updatedmytxt:

hell bovine

Arcane
That is one of the reasons I like it; I never liked the typical "elvish"looks (except maybe Vicky from BG1, in BG2 they made her look like a mutated smurf, though). Their narrow faces and elongated ears kind of remind me of sphynx cats.
Also, not enough portraits of female characters holding the decapitated heads of their enemies. :D

- Frequently uses Tumblr to look up pictures of fantasy anime girls.

:updatedmytxt:
The only anime I've ever watched was sailor moon, back in the carefree days of my youth.
edit: quote tags are annoying

That tumblr is shit and please do not waste everyone's time. I just cleaned out fantasymatrix which has bad image quality but the best selection I've seen (searched for better image versions via google images). Women of Fantasy has the best quality selection of all the tumblrs I haven't completely searched through. But I've been through so many images I don't know why you wouldn't just download my portrait pack, if images like yours are what's considered good to you.

There is no reason to accept badly illustrated character images anymore---and there wasn't really a reason 10 years ago, although it was harder. The old-style professional paintings were vast in number and still have a certain advantage over the new era of "card game art". What's a real let down is how few good images there are to choose from Magic the Gathering, which should have been killing it in the interim between those two periods.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane

That tumblr is shit and please do not waste everyone's time. I just cleaned out fantasymatrix which has bad image quality but the best selection I've seen (searched for better image versions via google images). Women of Fantasy has the best quality selection of all the tumblrs I haven't completely searched through. But I've been through so many images I don't know why you wouldn't just download my portrait pack, if images like yours are what's considered good to you.

(Note: I've found a good bit of images recently (700+), including all kinds of dark elves, and don't know when I'll be updating my pack)

There is no reason to accept badly illustrated character images anymore---and there wasn't really a reason 10 years ago, although it was harder. The old-style professional paintings were vast in number and still have a certain advantage over the new era of "card game art". What's a real let down is how few good images there are to choose from Magic the Gathering, which should have been killing it in the interim between those two periods.
I don't play PoE anymore, so your pack would be useless to me. I guess we just have different taste - boobs/ass/muscles are all fine, but I'm looking for something more in fantasy portraits (e.g. a decapitated head when I make a righteous zealot, or rampaging tentacles when I make an evil mage character).

Yeah I see others with different tastes too, like all the god-awful portrait packs on reddit, or the modern tragedies that comes up from the search bar in DeviantArt. I'm really curious about your taste--how important is the skill of the painting compared to the content?

For example, here is something from a popular portrait pack:

Shit image:
OIVpgUA.jpg

And here is another in the same portrait pack:

Not shit:
CUX6jK3.jpg

One of those is in my pack---do you think both should be? The first one is very representative of what people share from collections, and I think it's unforgivably bad.

Here's another from that first pack:

TCJUkAY.png

This shit is real. And it's really shit. And it's really fucking stupid, and it needs to stop. People can argue about taste all day but the fact of the matter is, most of the tumblrs and big portrait packs are total wastes of time by immature morons that need to be fucking yelled at.

And here's another from your tumblr:

5Y0KhJh.jpg

Do you really think these are acceptable? That this is a good use of other people's attention?

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Yeah I see others with different tastes too, like all the god-awful portrait packs on reddit, or the modern tragedies that comes up from the search bar in DeviantArt. I'm really curious about your taste--how important is the skill of the painting compared to the content?
[...]
Do you really think these are acceptable? That this is a good use of other people's attention?
I simply scroll down past pictures I dislike (edit: in this case all the pictures you quoted, though I'd still rate the shield guy higher than "I need a blood transfusion quick!" guy from your previous post, I guess). My attention isn't as precious as yours, it seems. :D

Yeah for me to get even 100 "high quality" pics it takes 1.5 hours if I'm lucky, so a collection or website with 3 terrible pics for every 1 pic that might possibly be good enough is just offensive to me. And it's still inexcusable because people just shouldn't be sharing the bad pics in the first place. They really do need to be slapped.

Edit: And you know, there's so much terribad at DeviantArt that scrolling past the garbage is hopeless. And at other sites, almost every single portrait pack for games is revolting. There are very few places for people to turn to if they don't want their time wasted by these people. Why it's universally accepted as ok to share 1000 hideous images is completely beyond me and a sign that things are very wrong.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Yeah for me to get even 100 "high quality" pics it takes 1.5 hours if I'm lucky, so a collection or website with 3 terrible pics for every 1 pic that might possibly be good enough is just offensive to me. And it's still inexcusable because people just shouldn't be sharing the bad pics in the first place. They really do need to be slapped.

Edit: And you know, there's so much terribad at DeviantArt that scrolling past the garbage is hopeless. And at other sites, almost every single portrait pack for games is revolting. There are very few places for people to turn to if they don't want their time wasted by these people. Why it's universally accepted as ok to share 1000 hideous images is completely beyond me and a sign that things are very wrong.
I don't use devianart. I guess I am more tolerant towards the quality of free art on the net, because when I started playing RPGs (which was more than 10 years ago...), I had a very shitty internet connection and could only dream about getting 100 high quality pics. :lol: (a lot of the old fantasy art I remember was bad quality scans, but that didn't matter so much in a 640x480 resolution)

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
And you know, there's so much terribad at DeviantArt that scrolling past the garbage is hopeless. And at other sites, almost every single portrait pack for games is revolting. There are very few places for people to turn to if they don't want their time wasted by these people. Why it's universally accepted as ok to share 1000 hideous images is completely beyond me and a sign that things are very wrong.
Holy shit you're anal about this. I like it! As a fellow aesthete, I, too, find it impossible to run subsequent playthroughs in RPGs unless I find juicy portraits for the party. Really appreciate what you've done with the thread; I only wish I'd known about it a couple of months ago when I was doing my 2nd and 3rd runs of PoE. I've run into some of the pics posted here, but many more I'm seeing for the first time, and will definitely be using for my annual runs of the IWDs, BGs, and PoE. My hat's off to you, good sir! +M

On a tangentially related note, I think the devs at Obsidian would have an aneurism from all this unclad boobage and chainmail bikinis, especially after having gone through so much trouble to sanitize the female form. :bounce:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I really wish Jaceface were still around. He seems to have departed, which is good for his sanity no doubt, but I could do with some more commissioned art.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I really wish Jaceface were still around. He seems to have departed, which is good for his sanity no doubt, but I could do with some more commissioned art.
I thought I found his real name the other day while I was rifling around in some old art threads.

Perkel

Arcane

Good. He had amazing talent. His portraits got into PoE officially and i think he had found a way to monetize his talent.

Perkel

Arcane

Good. He had amazing talent. His portraits got into PoE officially and i think he had found a way to monetize his talent.

on his profile:
Illustrations for Planet Spire, WartimeGames LLC (2015)

tren_finalpreview.jpg

vawen_final.jpg

map_final_weathered_corrected.jpg

go go go !

Perkel

Arcane
If i will ever do an RPG in my life i know who i will need to get for my environmental art :D Provided he will want to work for peasants like me :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom