Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Power to the people - brought to you by Molyneux

MetalCraze

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Heck, I remember the good old times when nerds didn't want to be cool by mashing buttons but by being able to beat a ridiculously hard turn-based battle and shwoing their hand-drawn maps to their friends, in times when there was no auto-map feature.

I finally forced myself to finish BG1. And I killed Sarevok ^_^. The last battle with him was ridiculously hard and in the end only my character and Dynaheir survived.
But it was a great feeling when after a whole hour of re-trying to kill him I finally managed to.
Something I really miss in "modern" games where after the completion it goes like:"I managed to beat HL2" - "Ok."

Gosling

Liturgist
skyway said:
I finally forced myself to finish BG1. And I killed Sarevok ^_^. The last battle with him was ridiculously hard and in the end only my character and Dynaheir survived.
But it was a great feeling when after a whole hour of re-trying to kill him I finally managed to.
Something I really miss in "modern" games where after the completion it goes like:"I managed to beat HL2" - "Ok."

The battle with Sarevok is the easiest battle in the whole game.
But both BGs had memorable battles I agree.

TheLostOne

Savant
Haven't played in years, but I still remember how hard fighting mature dragons was. Your casters were effectively useless except as buffers/healers because of their MR, so you had to rely on your frontliners, and no matter how low their AC was, a lucky hit or two would end you.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gosling said:

Someone has not bought his expansion. ^.^

Lost one, you can solo dragons easily with a wizard and no abuse, just keep spell mantles up and use the Lower Resistence spell, then as you see fit. A Necromancer could Malison and Finger of Death, or you use evocations until they die. I really had a lot of fun in BG combat.

Ladonna

Arcane

Are you serious? Maybe I picked the wrong character class....

It wasn't the hardest battle I agree, but I wouldn't call it easy. Then again, most RPG's have harder battles than the final foozle battle.

[/code]

Gosling

Liturgist
Ladonna said:

Are you serious? Maybe I picked the wrong character class....

It wasn't the hardest battle I agree, but I wouldn't call it easy. Then again, most RPG's have harder battles than the final foozle battle.[/code]

It's easy for any class, just make sure to have a good supply of rods of summoning and fireballs. Equip ranged weapons sit back and relax. It's almost an exploit though.

Aec'Letec battle on the other hand still makes me shudder.

MetalCraze

Arcane

Easiest? That's an overstatement of course, but this is rpg codex.
Strangely but I've found most of other battles in BG1 to be easier (guess that's depending on a party, by the time I got to Sarevok mine had 2 mages, 1 fighter/thief, 1 thief and 1 cleric).
And battle with Irenicus in BG2 also was easier for me than the battle with Sarevok (battle with Melisant (or whatever was her name) was even easier).

Gosling

Liturgist
skyway said:

Easiest? That's an overstatement of course, but this is rpg codex.
Strangely but I've found most of other battles in BG1 to be easier (guess that's depending on a party, by the time I got to Sarevok mine had 2 mages, 1 fighter/thief, 1 thief and 1 cleric).
And battle with Irenicus in BG2 also was easier for me than the battle with Sarevok (battle with Melisant (or whatever was her name) was even easier).

Don't know what Molineaux has to do with the third page of this tread, but next time try to install David Gaider's mods for ToB. Makes the last battle A LOT harder.

(As for BG1 - a combination of ranged weapons and endless supply of summoned animals (via rods) is almost a cheat)

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Sarevok is assrapingly impossible. Basically he hits you on anything other than a 1 and even the dwarven fighter (can't remember his name) only lasts about three seconds in melee with him, even if he is fully buffed and his AC is a -2. The only way that I have ever beaten him is by hasting the entire party and shooting him with arrows while he chases somebody in a circle. Of course, everyone has to drink fire resistance potions because one of his henchmen has a bow that shoots fireball arrows, and the entire room except for the entry is covered in web traps that your enemies are completely immune to. Yeah, that's fair.

Chefe

Erudite
barzam said:
Chefe said:
barzam said:
I personally can't stand those fighting games where you got to learn combos so this might be a good game for me to burn some hours with.

You idiot. The point of fighting games is to learn button combos. Without that challenge, you're left with shit like Dead or Alive.

That's like saying "I hate those first person shooting games where you have to use guns." Without that, you're left with shit like Oblivion.

Well, of course I understand that's the point of those games. But all I said was that I didn't like them. Call me an idiot if you want, I don't really care.

Who gives a fuck about Fable 2 anyway? I'll probably torrent it as I do with most games, play it for a couple of days, and quit half-through. I guess most of you will do the same.

You said "can't stand those fighting games where you got to learn combos" which implies that you like fighting games where you don't have to learn button combos, hence fighting games with no challenge.

Fable 2 will be the greatest bestest most epicest game ever.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
doctor_kaz said:
Sarevok is assrapingly impossible. Basically he hits you on anything other than a 1 and even the dwarven fighter (can't remember his name) only lasts about three seconds in melee with him, even if he is fully buffed and his AC is a -2. The only way that I have ever beaten him is by hasting the entire party and shooting him with arrows while he chases somebody in a circle. Of course, everyone has to drink fire resistance potions because one of his henchmen has a bow that shoots fireball arrows, and the entire room except for the entry is covered in web traps that your enemies are completely immune to. Yeah, that's fair.

To be fair, BG allows you to be as cheap as the enemies- you could spam summons until Sarevok is surrounded by 50000000 brown bears, for example.

Hory

Erudite
barzam said:
I personally can't stand those fighting games where you got to learn combos so this might be a good game for me to burn some hours with.
pls dumbfuck now thx

Oarfish

Prophet
I just spammed summoned gnolls at him, same as i did with Drizzt. Oh for a new RPG that doesn't put stupid caps on summoning magic or that properly models illusionists.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Hmm, I don't remember needing any exploits, it was a tough battle, but with haste on my party members, a little dodging while I dealt with the minions and lots of arrows I took him down.

Kraszu

Prophet
doctor_kaz said:
and the entire room except for the entry is covered in web traps that your enemies are completely immune to. Yeah, that's fair.

I got killed by them first time and I just cast magic whit my mage and suecide him on traps, later was rather easy, Saverok just like mentioned you summon lots of crup and it is holding him, same whit Drizzt.

Texas Red

Whiner
Damn, I wish I could fight Sarevok but I just dont have the patience to go through those lame goblin caves at level 1/2 and fed-ex quests.

It's easy for any class, just make sure to have a good supply of rods of summoning and fireballs.

The Wands of Monster Summoning pretty much do end any battle if used right, but I recall Sarevok's entire party being immune to fire, when I played my Mage, my Fighter, and my Fighter/Thief. Arrows of Piercing work better anyway.

Dispelling arrows and lots of them, plus plenty of dispel magic spells for when your archer(s) get death gazed. I love those things, they're so versatile. Most people never consider shooting them at friendlies ever, but it's their best use in some cases.

Gosling

Liturgist
Edward_R_Murrow said:
It's easy for any class, just make sure to have a good supply of rods of summoning and fireballs.

The Wands of Monster Summoning pretty much do end any battle if used right, but I recall Sarevok's entire party being immune to fire, when I played my Mage, my Fighter, and my Fighter/Thief. Arrows of Piercing work better anyway.

His party is not immune but has an insane resistance. However if you shoot fireballs at them while they are offscreen they will take minimal damage but won't attack you (only Tazok will rush at you but it's easy to deal with him alone). It can take you 3 fully charged wands of fireballs to kill them but eventually they will die and Sarevok will be left standing alone.
As I mentioned earlier it's an exploit and is therefore lame, but if you're stuck with a weak party it might be an effective way to finish the game.

Edward_R_Murrow said:

Dispelling arrows and lots of them, plus plenty of dispel magic spells for when your archer(s) get death gazed. I love those things, they're so versatile. Most people never consider shooting them at friendlies ever, but it's their best use in some cases.

On my first playthroughs I didn't realize that his death gaze could be dispelled - I'm prety sure I tried to dispel it a couple of times to no avail or used potions of resist magic but they didn't work, don't know why. That battle is not hard in itself but having to evade his death gaze and kill him as quick as possible was a pain in the ass.

psycojester

Arbiter
kobold, xvart, goblin. Whats the fucking difference? Its 2 foot tall and you're hacking at it with a sword twice as big as it is, yeah big tough hero aren't you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom