Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Power to the people - brought to you by Molyneux

NiM82

Prophet
Heh, I'm reminded of them shitty 80's Spectrum sports games, where you just had to tap the spacebar as fast as you could to run faster, jump higher and so on.

What the hell happened to him? I can't believe this is the same guy that gave us Syndicate, Theme Park, Populous and a few other classics. Did he get locked in a cupboard and replaced by a doppelgänger when he moved to Lionhead or something?

If anything console gamers will be wanting new more fun interface methods (like the Wii), not more mindless button mashing.

Human Shield

Augur
My take is that pushing combo buttons will change your animations but nothing else, so you look cool while being as effective as an automated actuator pushing one button. Which anyone thinking this is a good game design has failed basic logic.

barzam

Novice
Although the idea seems retarded and all, I liked one thing of it. Positioning the player will give different results when you mash your button. I don't know how this will work out, but you've gotta admit that it could be sort of fun. I personally can't stand those fighting games where you got to learn combos so this might be a good game for me to burn some hours with.

PM is always fun to listen to, but why all the fuss here about this game? It's not like anyone's calling it an RPG, right? Oh they are..

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Barzam look at Warriors, Def Jam and a few Fighting games and you will know how it will work.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Grandpa Gamer said:
Ion Flux said:
What old Petey is talking about is the illusion of coolness.
Of course it's illusion. But games are all about make believe anyway, so one more level of fake won't matter to those who buy into it. :)

You're right of course, but there are levels of illusion. I know I'm not actually a badass mercenary when I'm playing JA2, but I feel pretty cool when my tactics are good enough to defeat overwhelming gameworld circumstances.

NiM82 said:
If anything console gamers will be wanting new more fun interface methods (like the Wii), not more mindless button mashing.

I think you're right about this. Nintendo has the right idea with their interface, focusing on innovation and making it fun. What Peter M. is preaching is a formula for boredom.

Chefe

Erudite
barzam said:
I personally can't stand those fighting games where you got to learn combos so this might be a good game for me to burn some hours with.

You idiot. The point of fighting games is to learn button combos. Without that challenge, you're left with shit like Dead or Alive.

That's like saying "I hate those first person shooting games where you have to use guns." Without that, you're left with shit like Oblivion.

spacemoose

Erudite
NiM82 said:
Heh, I'm reminded of them shitty 80's Spectrum sports games, where you just had to tap the spacebar as fast as you could to run faster, jump higher and so on.

heh, I think that's exactly what he's going for, except instead of jumping higher you will do fancier combos the faster you mash that button

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
LOLyneuxmadea.jpg

aweigh

Arcane
why do people equate the wii with innovation? power glove came out in the late 80's, AFAIK.

Haraldur

Augur
If I wanted just a play/pause button I would just watch Lord of the Rings...

Again.

The_Pope

Scholar
I can make a better game with flash and 5 minutes. You press spacebar, and it says "YOU ARE KEWL!". Here's the depth - you can press it twice, then it says it twice, making you twice as cool as your dumb friend who only pressed it once.

Cassidy

Arcane
Joe Krow said:
The more this guy talks the more I get the impression that “nexgen” and “special needs” are synonymous.

Similar to what the Interplay slogan's say, this explains everything:

BY NEXGENS FOR NEXGENS

PS:

Wikipedia about Alzheimer's disease said:
Severe — As the disease progresses from the middle to the late stage, patients will not be able to perform even simple tasks independently and will require constant supervision. They become incontinent of bladder and then incontinent of bowel. They will eventually lose the ability to walk and eat without assistance. Language becomes severely disorganized, and then is lost altogether. They may eventually lose the ability to swallow food and fluid, and this can ultimately lead to death.

barzam

Novice
Chefe said:
barzam said:
I personally can't stand those fighting games where you got to learn combos so this might be a good game for me to burn some hours with.

You idiot. The point of fighting games is to learn button combos. Without that challenge, you're left with shit like Dead or Alive.

That's like saying "I hate those first person shooting games where you have to use guns." Without that, you're left with shit like Oblivion.

Well, of course I understand that's the point of those games. But all I said was that I didn't like them. Call me an idiot if you want, I don't really care.

Who gives a fuck about Fable 2 anyway? I'll probably torrent it as I do with most games, play it for a couple of days, and quit half-through. I guess most of you will do the same.

MisterStone

Arcane
Hey, at least this time around he's not promising you that "This will be the most epic game evar, you start out as a kid and develop your character through all stages of life all the while dozens of other adventurers are doing the same and if you become very powerful and mighty yuo will change the history of the incredible artificial world that reacts to every single deed you do and the population will either worship you as a hero or hate you as a notorious villain and people will copy your hairstyle and write cool stories about you and other NPC adventurers will also be doing the same thing through AI at the same time and... (bla bla bla)."

All he promised this time is that morons that like to push buttons randomly on a controller will think his game is cool. And you know what? He's probably telling the truth this time. So I guess this is an improvement- he's keeping his claims modest from the get-go. Too modest. No wonder he lied about the last "RPG" he tried to make... if he had talked like this from the beginning, he would have been laughed at. Since then, however, the very definition of RPG has morphed into something stupider than anyone had ever imagined before.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
barzam said:
Chefe said:
barzam said:

Well, of course I understand that's the point of those games. But all I said was that I didn't like them. Call me an idiot if you want, I don't really care.

Who gives a fuck about Fable 2 anyway? I'll probably torrent it as I do with most games, play it for a couple of days, and quit half-through. I guess most of you will do the same.

My bandwidth is worth more than that.
Personally it isn't the fact that the game is being made that I find disheartening, or even that it sells well, but that it's hailed as massively creative instead of regarded as the kind of easy on the eye, devoid of challenge crap that makes up the vast majority of all forms of entertainment. Yes it's snobbish, no I don't care.

Kraszu

Prophet
You don't necessary had to have combos to make fight interesting and to require some skill, mount & blade has good combat system that is easy to learn but mastering it is not that easy. Easy to learn hard to master is fight that crpg whit action fight should aim at.

Texas Red

Whiner
MisterStone said:
Hey, at least this time around he's not promising you that "This will be the most epic game evar, you start out as a kid and develop your character through all stages of life all the while dozens of other adventurers are doing the same and if you become very powerful and mighty yuo will change the history of the incredible artificial world that reacts to every single deed you do and the population will either worship you as a hero or hate you as a notorious villain and people will copy your hairstyle and write cool stories about you and other NPC adventurers will also be doing the same thing through AI at the same time and... (bla bla bla)."

Wrong! A while ago I read an interview-dialog with Molyneux where he claimed that Fable 2 WILL be the 3rd Coming of Jesus(2nd was Oblivion). Since it was more of a dialog the interviewer said it this was stated about Fable 1, Molyneux responded that he was aware of this and the dissapointment, but Fable 2 is still going to revolutionize every aspect of human life.

I wish I could find that interview again. In it he also complained about big companies taking over little ones and how everybody is selling out. Of course it was before Microsoft.

Oarfish

Prophet
Mastering mount and blade is a piece of piss.

• Buy horse
  • Buy long pointy stick
  • Ride round and round in circles stabbing people in the face

It only gets challenging if you limit yourself to infantry, or throw yourself against ludicrous odds.

Kraszu

Prophet
Oarfish said:
Mastering mount and blade is a piece of piss.

• Buy horse
  • Buy long pointy stick
  • Ride round and round in circles stabbing people in the face

So that is the problem whit combat system or whit that you fight alweys in big areas whit almost no obstacles. What about they warriors on horse they give no trouble? mostly played on arena. What about they archers.

Another example of skill based and easy to learn combat would be fps, just becouse most fps today are ridiculously easy in sp does not mean that it can't require skill, and you have to memorize combos to fight.

Oarfish

Prophet
So that is the problem whit combat system or whit that you fight alweys in big areas whit almost no obstacles. What about they warriors on horse they give no trouble? mostly played on arena. What about they archers.

Combat system is good really - horsemen should pwn disorganised infantry. The unbalance comes from dodgy tactical AI. What the game needs is infantry who stick in formation and the ability to plant polearms. Massed archers can be quite dangerous early on if you don't remember to use your shield.

Kraszu

Prophet
Oarfish said:

Combat system is good really - horsemen should pwn disorganised infantry. The unbalance comes from dodgy tactical AI. What the game needs is infantry who stick in formation and the ability to plant polearms. Massed archers can be quite dangerous early on if you don't remember to use your shield.

Archers could aim at your horse if you have shield in position also.

What I don't like mount & blade combat also is that you can attack to often, you should need some time to restore balance it would be less chaotic in close range then.

Oarfish

Prophet
Yeah, currently they just shoot for your body or head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom