Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Proceed to argue about the "best" "cyberpunk" "games"

Choose 2 from these 10

• Total voters

JDR13

Arcane
Kind of a shit poll to be honest. At least a couple of those games aren't really cyberpunk, and you've got DX: HR on there but not DX or DX: MD.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
obviously
XrLIZNC.gif

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Dex, for all your cyberpunk needs (or so I heard).

Sounds familiar. Is it an RPG?

Here's a topic about it that someone recently bumped.

Not cyberpunk but i always liked how System Shock 1 depicted cyberspace when you jacked into it as a kind of literal space with thousands of floaty colored data blocks you had to navigate through as if in a spaceship.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
System Shock 2 is a great game, but i'm always puzzled by its inclusion in cyberpunk titles... why do you think it is cyberpunk? I always saw it as pure sci-fi as it lacks pretty much any element i'd associate with cyberpunk (no near future, no "low life", no people living at the margins of society... not even a depiction of society really, it is just a space station). Sure, there is a big evil corporation and a hacker and (a lot of green :-P), but those do not make the game cyberpunk IMO.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
grimace
HR being in the poll instead of DX1 greatly diminishes this poll potential.

The augmentation conflict is total nonsense, though

The best thing about it is like how at least half of the population (or close to it) have augs and then around 25 years afterwards (during DX1), only members of high society (plus their bodyguards), the army elite and the few criminals with enough connections have augmentations. :lol:

Egosphere

Arcane
I don't really find it a far-fetched idea that some people would alter their bodies for greater financial or social gain. It wouldn't have to be some massive percentage to have a real impact. Also whether you agree it's realistic or not, I find it a compelling setting for a game of that nature.

Should have gone with gene editing/crispr as the big tech breakthrough

DraQ

Arcane
In the absence of DX1 I had to vote for nu-DX, as the title actually gunning for CP.

A lot of titles listed, even excellent ones, don't even qualify as CP:
  • Anachronox is an all-out wacky space opera - if it's CP, then Star Wars is halfway there as well. Protagonist being a longcoat private dick living in a wretched urban hive (initially) does not make something cyberpunk.
  • SS2 - the setting is very definitely CP, but the game is survival horror on an interstellar spaceship - not really cyberpunky.
As for DX1, even if it was present on the list I would have had some mixed feelings while ticking that box (which I would) - 5' in the future is a moving target and DX1 feels more like a documentary in some places.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom