Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Proving Calis right (and responding to DU)...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ohh! I get it now, it was supposed to be funny.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Tell us Spacemoose, how do you feel about all of this? Do you feel guilt? Are you depressed? Do you feel innocent? Do you feel nothing? Or do you not care?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You guys do realise this is the kind of spammy "LULZ" stuff people are complaining about, don't you?

spacemoose

Erudite
Jedi_Learner said:
Tell us Spacemoose, how do you feel about all of this? Do you feel guilt? Are you depressed? Do you feel innocent? Do you feel nothing? Or do you not care?

"us"? don't go framing this as if its me against the forum. I've been trying to stay out of the drama today, since its turning mean (serious business), but since you asked:

if I had foreseen that my posting of those images would have caused a shitstorm of this magnitude, I would not have done it. what's transpired has damaged the codex, and you know I love this place

on the other hand, I don't think I should have been threatened with a ban at all for my comments, as they were in line with codex tradition. what really prompted me posting the NSFW pictures was VD's reply of "second warning, the third one will be a ban" in response to my "u cannot b sirius". since I hadn't posted anything banworthy so far (in my view). I had two choices - expect a ban every time I post some benign thing that VD decides is out of line, or I could force the issue and refresh everyone's memory of what is banworthy and what is not. you know which one I went with

so in the end, I do not feel guilty, as my intent was not to cause VD any harm, just to demonstrate that moderation (both in terms of banning people and retardoing threads) was getting out of hand, and to force the issue. which I suppose happened

as a side note, I did very much enjoy the drama right up until VD got kicked. funnest time on the codex EVAR. mamma's gang temporary coup was fucking beautiful. my hat is off to them - such things are what internet legends are made of

now, on the topic of lulz: random humor, such as posting macros that have nothing to do with the discussion, gets old quick. and continuously spamming random crap in a thread is not funny - it is the equivalent of defecating on the dinner table. (note that this is different from derailment - a proud codex tradition) and even though many have been quick to accuse me of being some horrible 4chan reject spammer, this is not true if you look at my post history. whether you find my remarks funny or not, they always relate to the thread at hand. in the rare case that I feel the thread is worthless, I usually say it straight out, with something like: "YEP IMMA GONNA SHIT IN YOUR SHIT THREAD :SHITS:" so do not lump me together with spammers like KC used to be (he's pretty much stopped spamming since becoming a mod, but today it seems he's back to his old ways :mystery:)

and I am a bit depressed, but it is for personal reasons. :emo:

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Well I guess that concludes this awful affair. DarkUnderlord, why don't you make yourself useful for a change, and lock this thread?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Blaming Spacemoose for what happened is as silly as blaming me for Naked Lunch's revolution. Spacemoose and I were well on the way of sorting things out and I have nothing against him. :salute:

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I wasn't blaming him Vault Dweller, I just wanted to know what he thought about recent events. I hope you don't retreat to posting once or twice a week.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Jedi_Learner said:
Well I guess that concludes this awful affair. DarkUnderlord, why don't you make yourself useful for a change, and lock this thread?
This is the Codex, we don't lock threads. We argue shit out to page 25 until nobody cares anymore.

EDIT: Damn you Shagnak. You beat me to it.

Although, if you combine this 9 pager with the 19 pages in the other thread, I think we've hit a new Codex record.

PAGE 28 MOTHERFUCKERS!

SlavemasterT

Arcane
For some reason, this conversation is putting me in mind of the first time I was ever Goatse'd: it was by Vault Dweller, no less. He had posted what was purportedly a link to a torrent of an early leaked build of Oblivion. Now, I had a dial-up modem at the time, so it wasn't as if I was even seriously considering attempting to download a cutting-edge game - I just wasn't familiar with how HTML tags worked and was amused because I knew that even though it looked like a real link, it had to be fake. So, out of curiosity I clicked on it, and then thanked God that I DID have that dial-up connection, because I wasn't sure what the fuck it was that was slowly loading up on my screen, but I knew it was something goddamned unnatural and perverse. After that, I learned about checking the bar at the bottom of the brower before clicking on links, and had grown a little wiser at the cost of a chunk of my innocence.

That's the Vault Dweller that I remember, and that I'd like to have back.

Cassidy

Arcane
About 2 years ago...

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6733

Vault Dweller said:
Someone needs to tubgirl them.

icon_salut.gif

AnalogKid

Scholar
MountainWest said:
As a matter of fact, without the permission to call a dumbfuck a dumbfuck - and worse - it wouldn't be the Codex I have come to know and love (in my admittedly short time here). The harshness must stay, in my opinion.

But that isn't really the issue. The issue it seems are the lulz. And here's where I side with VD (though I think he's on the same page as me on the harshness as well). The majority of the lulz aren't the slightest witty or funny. They're legion of lazy crap...I see new faces every other day coming in throwing their feeces. It's worrying....What the fuck has happened in these one and half year, this short period of time, that's made the new recruits not fear posting crap?

I think it's the unrestricted unwitty unfunny lulz...This needs to be stopped, if you don't want the whole ballpark over run by monkeys...Problem is, there's to many monkeys.
I'm sure it's not surprising I agree with you. But I think there's something else to be said. I don't necessarily think the boring crap lulz need to be restricted, that's where I mostly disagree with VD.

They need to be punished. Publicly.

The "I was afraid of making a fool of myself" harshness needs to be rekindled. I applaud the idea of a lynch mob, except I'm afraid there are just too many monkeys already (witness: the "honor" of the dumbfuck tag). When I first started lurking, pretty much the entire Codex WAS a lynch mob. Or at least the infamous "bunch of angry cunts". There were always lulzers, but they had to have the skill and will to survive. Pre-pubescent wannabes didn't use the Codex as their training ground for lulz. Nowadays the Codex tagline should be "we're a bunch of vapid lulzers, with a few angry cunts and one or two actual game discussions to provide the backdrop".

Doesn't really have the same ring to it, does it?

It's funny to me that the post DU linked about "the Codex is doomed" was a perfect example of an emo wannabe being beat down energetically (thus proving that it wasn't true then, even though it might be now). That's what used to happen anytime anyone was stupid, even among the regulars who would go from viciously attacking each other to sucking each others' dicks and back in half a thread.

Every post should contribute. Don't have anything to say on the topic? STFU. Going to troll? Make it good. Gonna crack a joke? It better be funny, and hopefully a potential flame-war starter (which means attacking other forum members, not targets in abstentia). The aggression (or harshness) was key. It was omni-present, there was no "safe harbor". It was 90% focused on what someone wrote, not on the person themselves. That's why the dumbfuck tag was so interesting, it signaled a very real difference between a poster who wrote some stupid shit, and a poster who was himself the embodiment of pathetic dumbfuckery. It meant "FAIL". Now it means "Look at me! I'm a monkey just like most of the posters here! Wooo Hooo!"

I've had many posts that I replied to, wrote, previewed, and then decided to not post because they just weren't funny enough. Posts should contribute. There are many ways to contribute, but we don't need any feces-laden filler that serves only to attract other monkeys.

spacemoose

Erudite
AnalogKid said:
Every post should contribute. Don't have anything to say on the topic? STFU. Going to troll? Make it good. Gonna crack a joke? It better be funny, and hopefully a potential flame-war starter (which means attacking other forum members, not targets in abstentia). The aggression (or harshness) was key. It was omni-present, there was no "safe harbor". It was 90% focused on what someone wrote, not on the person themselves. That's why the dumbfuck tag was so interesting, it signaled a very real difference between a poster who wrote some stupid shit, and a poster who was himself the embodiment of pathetic dumbfuckery. It meant "FAIL". Now it means "Look at me! I'm a monkey just like most of the posters here! Wooo Hooo!"

<s>FUCKING LIBERALS!! ONE DAY IMMA JUST START SHOOTIN</s> it must have been the bible-thumping christian fundamentalist neocon corporations. umm... and capitalists. and bush. mmm hmmm.

Cassidy

Arcane
AnalogKid said:
I'm sure it's not surprising I agree with you. But I think there's something else to be said. I don't necessarily think the boring crap lulz need to be restricted, that's where I mostly disagree with VD.

They need to be punished. Publicly.

The "I was afraid of making a fool of myself" harshness needs to be rekindled. I applaud the idea of a lynch mob, except I'm afraid there are just too many monkeys already (witness: the "honor" of the dumbfuck tag). When I first started lurking, pretty much the entire Codex WAS a lynch mob. Or at least the infamous "bunch of angry cunts". There were always lulzers, but they had to have the skill and will to survive. Pre-pubescent wannabes didn't use the Codex as their training ground for lulz. Nowadays the Codex tagline should be "we're a bunch of vapid lulzers, with a few angry cunts and one or two actual game discussions to provide the backdrop".

Doesn't really have the same ring to it, does it?

It's funny to me that the post DU linked about "the Codex is doomed" was a perfect example of an emo wannabe being beat down energetically (thus proving that it wasn't true then, even though it might be now). That's what used to happen anytime anyone was stupid, even among the regulars who would go from viciously attacking each other to sucking each others' dicks and back in half a thread.

Every post should contribute. Don't have anything to say on the topic? STFU. Going to troll? Make it good. Gonna crack a joke? It better be funny, and hopefully a potential flame-war starter (which means attacking other forum members, not targets in abstentia).

And what about extending I N T E R N E T D R A M A unnecessarily to bring back the same points over and over in Epic threads that will later be kept in posterity mostly for the LULZ? It does contribute, amirite?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Make me an admin, and I'd put eveyrone in their place and this would be settled. I promise that. L0LZ

P.S. Was that not serious enough or too serious?

This whole thing is lame yet funny at the same time.

I N T E R N E T D R A M A

Lurkar

Scholar
Oh, and the "only 8? Weak" comment wasn't that funny.

The commentary of "Why didn't he become a scientist and work with genetics?" followed by "He can't even shoot himself in the head, and you're bringing up science?" though, I laughed at that.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Cassidy said:
And what about extending I N T E R N E T D R A M A unnecessarily to bring back the same points over and over in Epic threads that will later be kept in posterity mostly for the LULZ? It does contribute, amirite?
OOO! Yeaaaaaaay! Can we play "don't bitch about the bitching -- but you're bitching about the bitching about the bitching"? I loooooooove that game. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom