Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Why did you ignore this part?

Anything else would require custom development and is unlikely.

What is the matter with you?

Some fucking asshole takes over someone else's account and fucks with multiple threads. WHAT DO?

Choice A: Custom write a bunch of code, test it, implement it, deal with the inevitable nuclear holy fire fallout from the literal autists around here who cannot bear even a single change and HOPE that it actually works?

or

Choice B: Flip a switch and flip the middle finger at that asshole

What do you think we're going to do, Lady Rearmirror?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Refusing to enact basic digital security hygiene TO TRIGGER DA LIBS xDDDD
Every time my account gets hacked a blue haired dyke gets TRIGGGURED xDDDDDD
sadly most people don't value doing opssec, or digital hygiene... or anything similar until some weirdo with a chip on their shoulder tries to fuck with them

doing 2fa is like 5 seconds of inconvenience at the very most

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
2FA on a discussion forum is just overkill
Is it? It's already solved the problem, and we could argue (if we were heartless assholes) that it already has solved who knows how many other problems by driving off a large contingent of our more problematic users due to their uncontrollable rage at the temerity that an obscure nerdy computer roleplaying games-oriented website would turn on a feature to protect itself from blatant malicious activity.
Wasting my time because some people cried about having their account hacked, boo hoo

why the fuck is it mandatory? literally just make it so people who choose not to use it dont get to cry to you if it happens. thats better than both the things you proposed

fucking retard

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Especially weird when users who have literally made payments to the website suddenly feel scared of connecting their phone to it. Nigga, your name, personal number, bank account, etc, is connected to it via that $5 you wasted on Trump icons.
Try reading the thread title. And this thread, where it's mentioned about two dozen times that you don't need a phone and that we don't get your phone number even if you do use it for 2FA.
Try reading the thread yourself, because people clearly don't think so. The point being, these people think they'd be surrendering their info if they enable 2FA, and yet they made a bank payment to the website, and that didn't bother them.
Facts don't matter, within their own fantasy framework they are being dumb.

Skorpion

Educated
whydoibother makes a valid point, though. If you donated to Codex, we already "know who you are". Now, all of a sudden, you're worried about providing potentially more info?
This is why you will never get a dollar. Not just what you point out but that attitude about it.
I enjoy this place like a local bar but no way Im leaving my wallet on the counter while I use the bathroom, yall are untrustworthy as fuck but a good hang :)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
make it so people who choose not to use it dont get to cry to you when it happens
At this point in time, anyone "who chooses not to use it" (2FA) is vulnerable. In other words, if we currently turned 2FA off, other accounts might become compromised. If that happened, more threads might become corrupted due to malicious activity. So we can't currently discriminate who has to use authentication and who doesn't. Everyone has to.

What you're proposing is to come up with a different, custom, solution. That means (probably) having to perform some custom coding. Who's going to do this? You? Are you demanding Taluntain does it? DU? Twiglard? Why should they? 2FA seems to work just fine.

Now, are any of those individuals going to come up with an alternate solution anyway, just because they're being nice about it and actually care (somewhat) about the userbase around here? Maybe.

But I can tell you this much: it won't be done in order to accommodate the likes of you.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
crispy you are absolutely fucking deranged and insufferable, no one likes you but because there are so many sycophantic cowards and NPCs you think you are beloved. you're not. the average user with a modicum of intelligence absolutely LOATHES you.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
make it so people who choose not to use it dont get to cry to you when it happens
At this point in time, anyone "who chooses not to use it" (2FA) is vulnerable. In other words, if we currently turned 2FA off, other accounts might become compromised. If that happened, more threads might become corrupted due to malicious activity. So we can't currently discriminate who has to use authentication and who doesn't. Everyone has to.

What you're proposing is to come up with a different, custom, solution. That means (probably) having to perform some custom coding. Who's going to do this? You? Are you demanding Taluntain does it? DU? Twiglard? Why should they? 2FA seems to work just fine.

Now, are any of those individuals going to come up with an alternate solution anyway, just because they're being nice about it and actually care (somewhat) about the userbase around here? Maybe.

But I can tell you this much: it won't be done in order to accommodate the likes of you.
It wasn't my decision to open a politics forum for something supposed to be about RPGs, and it definitely wasn't my decision to spam ukrop shit to vatniks on said forum when everyone knows the reputation Russians have when it comes to *cyber security*.

If I decide not to enable 2fa and get fucked, then make it so the admins don't have to fix it, since I ignored the warning. I recall hearing that there is a system in place where deletion of posts still technically keeps them there in the backend so it doesn't fuck up page counts for links and stuff. Of course it won't be you doing anything though because you're a useless sack of shit, end yourself.

but post deletion could be time-limited or disabled altogether, as discussed in this thread previously.
Wow, would you look at that. Simple solution for what happened, no need to force 2FA on everyone if you include what I said above.

Keep carrying water for the people who actually do stuff on here, because you're certainly not one of them, doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
At this point in time, anyone "who chooses not to use it" (2FA) is vulnerable. In other words, if we currently turned 2FA off, other accounts might become compromised.

vulnerable to whom? hackers? or malicious staff members?

Caim

Arcane
whydoibother makes a valid point, though. If you donated to Codex, we already "know who you are". Now, all of a sudden, you're worried about providing potentially more info?
At least use that power to mail the more odorous members of the Codex pipe bombs.

The problem is that this solution removes a feature of the forum (which means it will lead to butthurt next time someone spergs out), while 2FA doesn't. For me 2FA consisted of opening the email window and copypasting a number here. Maybe add a tutorial for the boomer squad, fr fr fr

Sounds like the same logic behind every single government campaign to further restrict and remove individual rights. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anyone any good. It just makes everything else worse every time even if it does somehow reduce the chance of having the problem that lead to the policy again.
What you're proposing is to come up with a different, custom, solution. That means (probably) having to perform some custom coding. Who's going to do this? You? Are you demanding Talmudntain does it? DU? Twiglard? Why should they? 2FA seems to work just fine.

But I can tell you this much: if won't be done in order to accommodate the likes of you.
The solution? Ignore it. He shouldn't have used computer12345 or whatever common password whoever lost his thread used.

My password? It's behind the spoiler

The problem is that this solution removes a feature of the forum (which means it will lead to butthurt next time someone spergs out)
Perhaps just limiting the number of deleted posts per day would solve the issue if it were possible. Nobody should need to delete more than one or two posts a day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom