Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Couldn't the administration/technical staff just check each user's password if it's easily compromised (there exist lists of top common passwords the internet, or something like it - you can calculate hash from them and compare to the one stored in the user database)
The attacker is likely using leaked (email, password) or (username, password) pairs rather than going by the 1000 most common passwords or anything like that.

You can verify your own passwords using a password manager or Google's password manager for leaked or repeated passwords. But if everyone did that, there'd be nothing to talk about.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I spent a week honestly convinced that the forum was in maintenance and the message about 2FA is the usual Dark Underlord trolling meant to induce users to fiddle in their profile settings looking for a 2FA option that doesn't exist.

Very smart, DU, I thought, but you won't catch me with this bait.

What tipped me off was that I kept getting new notifications, which means that other people are accessing the forum. Only then I discovered there actually is a 2FA option and the administration wasn't joking. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can verify your own passwords using a password manager or Google's password manager for leaked or repeated passwords. But if everyone did that, there'd be nothing to talk about.

It would also help if people used different passwords per site. I thought Codexers, being generally concerned about their privacy, would pay more attention to password hygiene but apparently not.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It would also help if people used different passwords per site. I thought Codexers, being generally concerned about their privacy, would pay more attention to password hygiene but apparently not.
Without a password manager, using unique per-site passwords is too difficult. It took quite a few site database leaks in a short time for me to bite the bullet and start using Bitwarden. Before that I had 3-4 passwords, used depending on the importance of given account. Remembering 20 or more passwords that aren't just variants of a single one with a few characters thrown at the end exceeds the capabilities of my brain.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Without a password manager, using unique per-site passwords is too difficult. It took quite a few site database leaks in a short time for me to bite the bullet and start using Bitwarden. Before that I had 3-4 passwords, used depending on the importance of given account. Remembering 20 or more passwords that aren't just variants of a single one with a few characters thrown at the end exceeds the capabilities of my brain.

Yep, it's why I'm generally a proponent of password managers.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This was a long time coming, but I'm surprised that apparently even DU didn't use 2FA before this.

Edit: oh, DarkPatriot, not DU.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
:happytrollboy:

Two days of succesful authorisation in a row, I will do things exactly the same for some time and if things go smooth during that time, I'll slowly begin to make some changes to see if the malfunction was caused by some known factor.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I use a unique password for every site I use. I have a password text file so of course if my own PC gets hacked everything gets compromised. :M

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I use a unique password for every site I use. I have a password text file so of course if my own PC gets hacked everything gets compromised. :M
This, except I have a little phyiscal notebook for my passwords. I use a unique pw for everything, which also includes a crapful of work related things as well.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Encrypt the text file itself with a password.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
and then realize you can just use keepass. we did it boyz

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
There's no such addon
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/flood-permissions.6800/
Provides user group permissions for the following post rate limiting options:
Delete - General rate limiting - delay between [deleting] posts in seconds

I don't understand how any of this shit works in the first place so apologies if I'm being a nuisance rather than helpful (j/k I've never been helpful in my life) but this kinda sounds like such addon
Congrats, looks like you found one. But even with deletion instances time limited, someone with a script could still play the long game and delete a lot of posts over a longer period and be even harder to notice. So it wouldn't solve the problem, it'd just extend it over a longer period. My choice would be either limit post deletion to something like 2 hours, or disable it altogether. Any legit need for post deletion could be asked of the mods by using the report post function. Probably half of the deleted posts here are basically people who instead of editing their post, just delete it and make a new one with the same contents.

Yeah, just make it as inconvenient for the users as possible so you can remain lazy. I mean, if you really cared about edge cases you would have thought about a solution when you moved the forum software, can't have that though, would be effort.

Long-story short: You just want this shit, because you think it's easy, solves your issue and it's irrelevant if it's shit for the users, who cares and all.
Daym, at least it's not user generated drama.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Too much effort for my tastes. In my nearly-30 years on the internet, I've never been hacked. There's always a possibility it could happen, but it seems like a low one. I know not to click on suspicious links or emails or fall for fear-scams.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Too much effort for my tastes. In my nearly-30 years on the internet, I've never been hacked. There's always a possibility it could happen, but it seems like a low one. I know not to click on suspicious links or emails or fall for fear-scams.
If some shit-head really, really wants too he will most likely find a hole in your defense anyways. As long as you are somewhat internet literate you are relatively safe, full safety is an illusion anyways.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Which browsers in 2023 don't have an integrated pass manager / login saving that you all need to store them separately? Firefox has even had a function to generate unique strong passwords for individual logins for years now, which takes all the legwork out of it.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron

In theory yes, i should have a different password for everything i use, ideally some 12+ letter strong with symbols and caps and everything.

In practice? Maybe i’m just a retard but i struggle memorizing more then a handful of passwords and every time there was some bs forcing me to come up with new ones i end up forgetting it, necessiting me to have to write it down somewhere.
This is especially true for passwords i barely use.

This all ends up creating a far bigger security concern:the risk of misplacing where i store my password hoard, a far more likely scenario for me then getting hacked. Forcing me to come up with an even worst solution which is what i ended up doing with the codex codes: storing them on my email along with a helpful “codex codes” headline because otherwise i will forget down the line which codes access what.

Does this sound secure? Storing all my eggs in one basket like this where if anyone figured out my email they will get access to most of my passwords used for everything? This is why i loathe 2fa so much, it does not help secure my accounts at all, it just busts my balls for 0 gain.

Ooh but just use a password manager! Ok and what if something happens to my device? I’ve had my computer die on me and my hard drive getting wiped, losing every program and file on it. So no i do not trust relying on an external program managing my passwords because if something happens to that program i will be even more fucked then it someone figures out my email password.

It’s great you are able to juggle multiple individual passwords for everything you use, but if i remember the studies on this topic, the overwhelming majority of people are going to be like me unfortunately.

Make 2fa optional , if someone goes around deleting my posts i don’t think it would be that big a loss and i’ve never been one to care about post counts. I‘ll just shrug and make a new account at worst.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom