Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The other thing we're starting to lose sight of here is the impetus for the "hack" in the first place: the Ukraine thread. It's safe to assume that the actions taken were the result of the perpetrator being so upset with the content that (the above) users contributed that this person decided to go to extreme measures to... belittle those people? To make some sort of point? Intimidation, I guess?

So, logic dictates, since this kind of attack on Codex hasn't otherwise happened in a long time, that if the Ukraine thread were no longer such a lightning rod for such behavior, it wouldn't happen again.

Therefore, come on, Ukraine, let's wrap this thing up so we can go ahead and Retardo the thread!
:troll:

Still waiting on the details, do we have a write up on what happened?

Modron

Arcane
Not limited like that, limited the same as post edits can be limited, i.e. how far back you can go when editing posts. E.g. a week, a month, 3 months, etc. Anything else would require custom development and is unlikely.
I don't know in these days of cancel culture, the ability to edit your posts should be sacred. Already seen 3-4 codexers lose employment over what they've said when what they said was far tamer than anything Brother None said and he kept his job kek. We've seen people cancelled for stuff they tweeted when they were 12, et cetera.

We should have the ability to alter post content as far back as needed since you guys aren't really able to mass delete stuff since xenforo poorly adapts to massive losses of posts. Unless of course you guys are going to give users the ability to request JCD level scramblings of posting history then I suppose limiting deletion/editing windows to a couple of months would be okay.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Encrypt the text file itself with a password.
Too much effort for my tastes. In my nearly-30 years on the internet, I've never been hacked. There's always a possibility it could happen, but it seems like a low one. I know not to click on suspicious links or emails or fall for fear-scams.
That was the next thing I was going to say. Apparently the Codex is now geared towards the kind of people who do NOT know not to click on suspicious links or emails.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which browsers in 2023 don't have an integrated pass manager / login saving that you all need to store them separately? Firefox has even had a function to generate unique strong passwords for individual logins for years now, which takes all the legwork out of it.

As a person who once worked tech support, I have a developed loathing of the save password feature in browsers.

That was the cause of 95% of the cases of users who were locking themselves out of accounts, or needing password resets done because they could no longer remember their passwords.

Actual third party password managers seemed to cause fewer issues. I'm not sure if it was because they were less common, if the people who used them were more technologically savvy, or both.
"once worked tech support" yet still gets hacked by an angry vatnik. Well at least we know why you don't work in tech support anymore.
Hey, I worked in a tech support too! Coincidence?
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
We should have the ability to alter post content as far back as needed since you guys aren't really able to mass delete stuff
XF's way of dealing with deletion requests is to delete and anonymize the user account associated with the posts, not the posts themselves. The posts are then left orphaned and unattributable, but still there. The majority of forums aren't really keen on the idea of ruining the flow and content of hundreds of threads because user X decided that 20k of their posts should be deleted. Obviously account deletion is not a 100% solution, but is enough under normal circumstances.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I continue to maintain that login by username should be disabled. Login only with your email address, and keep that address as private as your password. Problem = solved.

Semiurge

Cipher
Instead of troubling people with this 2FA shit in a gaming forum, maybe you could start a bit smaller and simply upgrade your password rules from 1994 times when 4 lower-case letters alone was considered good enough? Could even go a step further and force users to change their pw in every half a decade or whatnot. Or just disable the fucking delete button when a post is over 24 hours old.

Many sites make it mandatory to add numbers and miscellaneous symbols in the password, but that would probably require an add-on for XF.

unless they're literally like "password" or "12345".
darkpatriot, The Brazilian Slaughter, Konjad

?????
Nah my passwords are usually pretty good, I don't think a single human being could have ever guessed mine. A brute-force attack might have done it over time, but brute force is old hat and not worrying. I think a site somewhere just got pwned.

There are no passwords that are "pretty good", there's only shit and strong passwords.

Can confirm that fizzelopeguss has had his posts deleted as well. Infinitron DarkUnderlord Twiglard
Didn't he already turn on 2fa on Saturday? How come he's getting his posts deleted just now?

InB4 it turns out that it was a staff account that got hacked, not uncommon. Perhaps your current suspect was a deliberate sacrifice, or even a patsy.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
InB4 it turns out that it was a staff account that got hacked, not uncommon. Perhaps your current suspect was a deliberate sacrifice, or even a patsy.

Nah, happened prior apparently. Crudux hasn't been changing passwords so I guess people don't notice unless they check their post history or someone notices their reduction in post count.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom