Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
2FA should be optional.

I use Bitwarden to generate secure, unique passwords for all of my accounts.

I’m pretty sure that 2FA is way overkill for a vidya game forum. Especially for those of us who stay out of the political threads.
The problem is that the vulnerability left by this group of Codexers does not merely damage them but results in forum-wide slowdowns and even the inability to access particular threads, if only temporarily. Although this particular solution is not the best.

I continue to maintain that login by username should be disabled. Login only with your email address, and keep that address as private as your password. Problem = solved.
If people are relying on the same username, email address, and password on the Codex as on other sites that have had their user information exposed, then switching from the username to email (or even requiring both) for login wouldn't help. :M

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
If people are relying on the same username, email address, and password on the Codex as on other sites that have had their user information exposed, then switching from the username to email (or even requiring both) for login wouldn't help. :M
Three different pieces of information aligning perfectly is much less likely than two.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i can get why someone would be indignant about more strict internet hygiene/op-sec being thrust upon them, but being fussy about more security that's for your privacy is probably the dumbest hill to die on

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sodafish

Arcane
I already had 2FA enabled so didn't notice a thing.

Why all the colossal butthurt? 2FA / MFA is a good thing. I use it wherever possible. Granted, enforcing it is possibly OTT in this case, but I mean get a grip. Install Authy on phone > setup account > spend 10 seconds once a month to enter a 6-digit code.

Hardly the day of judgement, chaps.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
InB4 it turns out that it was a staff account that got hacked, not uncommon. Perhaps your current suspect was a deliberate sacrifice, or even a patsy.

Nah, happened prior apparently. Crudux hasn't been changing passwords so I guess people don't notice unless they check their post history or someone notices their reduction in post count.

You sure it's him? I don't think I had any interaction with him in that thread, or anywhere else for that matter. No humble shit ratings, no nothing.

:kingcomrade:

Could have been a copy cat I guess, especially if Crudux's actions gave someone else the idea. Though I don't think he interacted with DP and others that significantly either, just mostly quietly seethed.

From what the admins said, it sounds like it happened in a similar timeframe to his other account breaches though.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
InB4 it turns out that it was a staff account that got hacked, not uncommon. Perhaps your current suspect was a deliberate sacrifice, or even a patsy.

Nah, happened prior apparently. Crudux hasn't been changing passwords so I guess people don't notice unless they check their post history or someone notices their reduction in post count.

You sure it's him? I don't think I had any interaction with him in that thread, or anywhere else for that matter. No humble shit ratings, no nothing.

Could have been a copy cat I guess, especially if Crudux's actions gave someone else the idea. Though I don't think he interacted with DP and others that significantly either, just mostly quietly seethed.

From what the admins said, it sounds like it happened in a similar timeframe to his other account breaches though.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a few all chatting together to cause some shenanigans. Serious butts have been blasted and scalps taken in that thread. And there's a bit of a persecution complex going on.

I barely even post in it but there's plenty of retard ratings given out.

It's a bit of a laff so far, so long as it stays to that, and no seriously queer shit starts happening. Cheers for pointing my post count out.

:bro:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why all the collosal butthurt? 2FA / MFA is a good thing. I use it wherever possible. Granted, enforcing it is possibly OTT in this case, but I mean get a grip. Install Authy on phone > setup account > spend 10 seconds once a month to enter a 6-digit code.

Personally, I'm mildly opposed to mandatory 2FA for normal users.

But I wonder how some people on this forum would feel if I personally did not have 2FA enabled. Because let me tell you, without 2FA, somebody would have gotten into my account and fucked this place up years ago, guaranteed. The Internet has become a much nastier place since the days of Mama's Gang. It'd be utter devastation.

Hobknobling

Learned

Why all the collosal butthurt? 2FA / MFA is a good thing. I use it wherever possible. Granted, enforcing it is possibly OTT in this case, but I mean get a grip. Install Authy on phone > setup account > spend 10 seconds once a month to enter a 6-digit code.

Because companies use 2FA for datamining. The email 2FA on this webzone is fine in my books, but I will never voluntarily use my phone for any sort of 2FA.

Semiurge

Cipher

He put me on ignore some time ago but lifted the ignore eventually. Very mysterious as the lift can't just happen by accident, but I too have made a few posts in that thread.

what is worse 2FA or the vaxx
This email shit doesn't count, email and SMS are completely insecure and aren't real 2FA. More like 0.5FA.

How do email OTPs differ from app-based 2FA, are they encrypted with some weaker method? SMS being weak I understand as they are completely unencrypted.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Because companies use 2FA for datamining. The email 2FA on this webzone is fine in my books, but I will never voluntarily use my phone for any sort of 2FA.
Then use a desktop app, you probably do your codexing in front of the PC anyway.

Tho lol at the "companies using 2FA for datamining". Meanwhile YewTube has 14 trackers.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
BUT I HAVE TO USE A SMARTPHONE

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DO ANYTHING TODAY WITHOUT ONE

Actually you can do just about anything without a smartphone. For example, you can pay your monthly bills by writing a paper che----

ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?!# NO ONE WRITES FUCKING CHECKS ANYOMTOMREW#¸c

Sodafish

Arcane

How can the TOTP tokens used by Authy and similar phone apps be used for data mining? You're not entering any information when the specific app account is created, and no email/text/push notification is ever sent to your phone.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
BUT I HAVE TO USE A SMARTPHONE

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DO ANYTHING TODAY WITHOUT ONE

Actually you can do just about anything without a smartphone. For example, you can pay your monthly bills by writing a paper che----

ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?!# NO ONE WRITES FUCKING CHECKS ANYOMTOMREW#¸c
You don't even have a smartphone? My granny has a smartphone, and she's almost as old as you.

Peachcurl

Arcane
How do email OTPs differ from app-based 2FA, are they encrypted with some weaker method? SMS being weak I understand as they are completely unencrypted.
Regular e-mail isn't encrypted in any way, same as SMS texts are not.
Nitpick: Regular emails usually are encrypted during transport, but not during storage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom