Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

hajro

Arbiter
When are they doing a performance patch, i used to be able to run this game maxed at 144+ now i gotta play on low textures cause memory leaks go over my 16gb of ram.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
imagine releasing a game with 5 maps and then almost never adding more

oh wait thats every multiplayer game now trololololo
You can blame art school majors with big egos that think the look of a level is the only thing that matters in a game. In modern game development a lot of level design duties fall to pink-haired nose-ringed level artists (these are different things) and actual level designers (people that focus on gameplay and variety rather than "artistic merit") are becoming more and more rare. So when the well of creativity runs dry with these artists they decide 5 maps is enough, and even if some budding level designer makes a map it won't get anywhere near the game until an artist has spent 4 months meticulously adding gravel and wood chippings to rape your framerate.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

You can blame art school majors with big egos that think the look of a level is the only thing that matters in a game. In modern game development a lot of level design duties fall to pink-haired nose-ringed level artists (these are different things) and actual level designers (people that focus on gameplay and variety rather than "artistic merit") are becoming more and more rare. So when the well of creativity runs dry with these artists they decide 5 maps is enough, and even if some budding level designer makes a map it won't get anywhere near the game until an artist has spent 4 months meticulously adding gravel and wood chippings to rape your framerate.
all that effort and yet older games are still more visually appealing and memorable, on top of being well designed

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

You are so deep in your ideology that you can't tell how on the face retarded your statement is.

Say it is the "pink haired blah blah" memes fault. Who hired them and why do they not allocate money for someone else? Is the project director also pink haired?

Artists decide 5 maps are enough? Have you EVER had a job outside of mowing your uncles lawn? Artists don't make these decisions. They WANT to make more because that means they have more job stability.

Why am I even responding to this. Your brain is dripping in that ideology shit. There is a hard limit to how many societal problems come from people who dye their hair whatever the fuck my dude.

Want to hear the actual reason? They spent as little money as possible and outsourced this shit to C-tier team. They never gave that much fuck about this project. No need to invoke some dumb conspiracy shit.

Since this game is not making them any money, why in the fuck would they hire a better or even a single map designer? This is not how capitalism works you dumb fuck.

They moved on, and so should you.

Curratum

Since you guys are already in here, let me do you a favor:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-champions-doom-edition

It's just as dead but it's free, but it has bots, more and more fun classes / heroes and you can play with me if you're in Europe, and if you have more friends who like this sort of thing.

onPZ0GT.png

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
me make cuck shitpost
Are you actually so fucking retarded that you think that the art pipeline for new maps in modern AAA games isn't extremely cucked and slowed down by the extreme autism of any given "Lead Artist" or level decorator. Back in the day when you could make maps out of squares and cubes this was not the case. The fact of the matter is that Level Designer as a position in the majority of game development studios has gone from a gameplay design position to a Level Artist position and most "level designers" in AAA studios are actually just 3D artists 1st, level artists 2nd and level designers dead last. Levels in modern games are made from an artistic standpoint first and foremost, gameplay design of a level comes dead last and the only reason why QC has any maps at all that aren't all dogshit is because a lot of them are ports of older games' maps. The biggest issue of all is that artist autism demands that almost every single map in AAA multiplayer games have to look different, have a different artistic direction and absolutely no assets can be re-used aside from the most basic materials/textures.

If your theory about "it's all capitalism bro STOP HATING ON MY PINK HAIRED FRIENDS!!! haha etc" held any water at all then Overwatch and Counter-Strike Global Offensive would have twice or maybe three times as many official maps as they actually have, instead of getting like 1 new map per year at best despite being two of the most successful first person shooters on the market today. It does not take a year to design an initially gameplay viable multiplayer map. The key with older games was there was not this autistic EVERY MAP MUST BE DIFFERENT art pipeline barrier and level designers were free to re-use assets from one level to the next and most importantly free to EXPERIMENT with what they had, and not have to request new assets for every little thing they try out, this resulted in more and more maps being put out and the lucky few that ended up being gameplay viable becoming popular. Quantity will always be better than high art fidelity "quality" when it comes to multiplayer games, with a high quantity you are guaranteed to end up with good maps somewhere, and it only takes players playing them in whatever state they are in to find out which is worth the trouble. De_Dust2 was not made in a vaccuum where it had to be the only map in the game using the art assets it has, in-fact it has a widely unpopular and poorly designed predecessor in the form of De_Dust1. There are potentially hundreds of maps in new games that could have been made with existing art assets that just aren't, especially in games without modding tools. It's likely De_Dust2 just would not even exist in the recognizable and iconic form it is today if the developers of Counter-Strike were saddled with an art design lead that thinks like the average modern multiplayer AAA art lead.

Absinthe

Arcane
Looking over this stupid shitflinging I'm inclined to say you both make valid points and you both should chill the fuck out. Odds are they do have shitty level designers working on it and making too few levels because they cut corners, and that today's level designers are more artists than gameplay designers.

ranked racism

Novice
just think.
it took the BrainError and the retards @ id Software four+ years to implement basic online shooter features such as crosshair hit scale&color and raw mouse input. Quake is dead

abija

Prophet
QC and CS/OW are VERY different cases. QC is a cheap botched job like SB has said, end of story. Sure artists might be bad but they are so far on the blame pole is not even worth discussing.

Also MP shooters don't really need that many maps, just good ones. 4-5 good maps for each mode are more than enough to get the ball rolling. Number wise QC had plenty for duel and small dm/tdm.

Venser

Erudite
Most of the recent good maps in Quake Live and Champions are made by Ferdinand "cityy" List who was a student of architecture at the time he was designing maps for QL. He created Silence, Cure, Awoken and many other maps I can't recall right now. I remember in one of the recent interviews Tim Willits (I think it was on "In the Keep podcast"), Tim was laughing while saying he can't believe how little money id Software paid to the mappers and got away with it. Instead of doing everything to keep talents like cityy, they drove them away. Now there's only Syncerror lfeft again, just like in the old times of dying QL. He is competent mapper but don't expect he would come up with timeless classic.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
QC and CS/OW are VERY different cases. QC is a cheap botched job like SB has said, end of story. Sure artists might be bad but they are so far on the blame pole is not even worth discussing.

Also MP shooters don't really need that many maps, just good ones. 4-5 good maps for each mode are more than enough to get the ball rolling. Number wise QC had plenty for duel and small dm/tdm.
5 maps is fucking boring. if im going to play for hundreds of hours, i want at least 50. it's fine to have popular maps, but i want other stuff in between. else it's just dust2/crossfire/deck16/2fort 24/7. BOARING!!!

abija

Prophet
The map is part of the gameplay, you can't learn properly a miriad of maps. You start with a small number, then add and replace some.

And for solid games, art is not the bottleneck for sure. Most time is spent playtesting it. (solid games, not QC)

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
The map is part of the gameplay, you can't learn properly a miriad of maps. You start with a small number, then add and replace some.

And for solid games, art is not the bottleneck for sure. Most time is spent playtesting it. (solid games, not QC)
games shouldn't be made for profags who need to ‘learn’ and only ever play five maps. quake 3 and unreal tournament had a bunch and were far better for it. let people choose which five maps they like best.

the map is part of the gameplay, and i want way more fucking gameplay. herp derp.

abija

Prophet
It's actually for the casual fags, so it doesn't take them 2 years to learn basic map routes.

hajro

Arbiter
Population fucking matters, low pop games only have the 2k+ hour junkies playing them nowadays. If u try the game u get rekt and then quit so the game cant grow meanwhile some of these junkies will grow bored one day and leave so the game is declining slowly and slowly.

Star Citizen

Learned
Man, this thing is less and less fun every time I decide to come back to it. On top of all the issues this game had LG is now nerfed to the point where it feels like you have to have that shit glued on someone for a solid 10 seconds to get the frag from their full stack and damage over time abilities still total bullshit despite being tweaked. Also it seems to run a lot worse now than ever before along with some heavy rubber banding at the start of matches. It still scratches that itch for before and after active QL hours, but damn...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom