Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Doesn't have music out of the box, either. Only GOG dosbox version has, afair.

schru

Arcane
I solemnly swear I won't replay Quake until GOG gets the EE. Getting the original soundtrack to play with the 3D accelerated version is too much trouble.
While it is interesting to see the new version, having finally played it recently, I wouldn't recommend it over the original versions or even the more faithful source ports.

The new visual effects can be nice, but the graphics feel off because Night Dive couldn't port the original static lighting and had to redo it. Together with the way things like ambient and dynamic lighting have been implemented, the visuals just feel darker and muddier somehow. Certain places just lack the stronger highlights which they used to have.

Gibbing also feels different and less satisfying, in part due to the way the gibs receive light and in part because of the different processing of sound. The problem with the latter seems to be that the sounds were resampled and perhaps also because some form of surround effect was added. The result is that the game just sounds weaker.

As for your reason for wanting to play the EE, the music isn't implemented correctly either. Night Dive accepted the common rumour that the original Quake CD had pre-emphasis at face value and used tracks with de-emphasis applied to them, which results in a muffled sound. This confusion seems to come from the fact that a certain specific release came with a pre-emphasis flag, but apparently most other discs, including the earliest ones from the main issuing, didn't have it. In addition, Trent Reznor recently remastered the full sound track and he made it sound even more ‘crisp’ than the original release sounds without de-emphasis applied.

Finally, this version also has a pretty annoying menu.

It's fairly easy to make WinQuake, GLQuake, or the source ports work with music tracks. Use _inmm for the former and source ports without an implemented playback feature for digital tracks. GLQuake needs to be patched with a beta patch that isn't included in the digital releases.

3D accelerated version
found the problem

The problem with the DOSBox version is the poor framerate with high resolutions, and since the CPU cycles are already maxed out there's not much you can do about it.
You should only play it at 320x200 anyway, as the other resolutions make the HUD small and awkward-looking. It can look well enough with sharper scaling modes and maybe a C.R.T. shader. It's also worth noting that the original DOS version is darker than the Windows versions. If you'd still prefer a higher resolution, use WinQuake or the Mark IV source port, which retains the software renderer.

Doesn't have music out of the box, either. Only GOG dosbox version has, afair.
Indeed, even the GOG release doesn't have music in WinQuake or GLQuake.

M+K is the standard :smug:
But with vertical mouse-look only when you hold down the middle-mouse button.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Real :obviously:M E N:obviously: play Quake on the period appropriate hardware, employing only keyboard.

Yes. You don't need mouse with this, it's just Doom with looking up/down and jumping. Real men also play Descent 1&2 with keyboard only.

You should only play it at 320x200 anyway, as the other resolutions make the HUD small and awkward-looking.

Better the HUD than having the rest look like a mess at 1440p.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
‘Doom and Quake were made for keyboard only’
‘System Shock was composed for Soundblaster’
‘Quake 2 sucks and I like dragons’
And Unreal is meant to be played in software mode, I guess?

soulburner

Cipher
Mouse and keyboard from the start
Not so sure about that!

RUSiXph.png

manifest

Educated
Anyone who would like to prove the relative merit of keyboard versus mouse control is welcome to join me in the arena.

Semiurge

Cipher
Mouse and keyboard from the start

Little sissy boys needing extra help much like they need little sissy wheels on their little bikes, whereas the real :obviously:M E N:obviously: in the other room play the game Manfully.

For multiplay it may be needed to have an edge in the form of a mouse, for little sissy boys that is. Real M E N frag with a keyboard and their other hand tied behind their backs.

schru

Arcane
Two more problems with the ‘enhanced’ version:

– making water transparent makes a lot of the water-covered spaces look trivial and it takes away from the menacing feeling of the dirty surface that might hide some threats; it reveals submerged enemies, items, and secrets;

– the music track is restarted each time a saved state is loaded; the music plays continuously in the original version as long as the map isn't changed.

Semiurge

Cipher
When playing offline the game still attempts to send data to Beth servers, even stuff such as:

kexSocialTelemetryBNet::LogEvent: Sent ui_transition event

There's rows and rows of those lines in a log file in the install directory. It could mean the settings you change in menus.

What triggered the devs:
IMLarEK.png

• "Press Y to quit like a big loser in life, press N to stay proud and successful"
  • "Man, I oughta smack you for trying to quit! Press Y to get smacked out."
  • "Um, Asmodeus dislikes his children trying to quit. Press Y to return to your tinkertoys."
  • "If you press Y to quit, I will summon Satan all over your hard drive!"
  • "Milord, methinks that thou art a lowly quitter. Is this true?"
  • "Do I need to bust your face open for trying to quit?"
  • "If you quit now, I'll throw a blanket-party for you next time!"
  • "Are you gonna quit this game just like everything else?"
  • "Quit and you'll get a soap-socking one of these nights."

Okay I made the last one up.

A zoomer soyjack starts crying, commits suicide that same night Quake Enhanced ripped away his last shred of self-esteem. Lawsuits incoming.

trent reznor's music is fantastic but like i said, aubrey's alternative interpretation is great if you like dark ambient

This is one of the highlights of Doom 64, the other one for me is "The Rotted Foul" that plays in the level "Breakdown" which reminds me of the score of The Holy Mountain.

Last edited:

toughasnails

In other news, this monster was just released after being in development for quite a while:
https://www.slipseer.com/index.php?resources/quake-mjölnir.243/
Quake: Mjölnir is a free, open source expansion of id Software's classic 1996 first person shooter Quake.

It is inspired by one of the earliest concepts of Quake, that players would wield Thor's hammer Mjölnir and explore a medieval world of magic and monsters.

The Mjölnir team is glad to announce the release of Quake: Mjölnir 1.0 on Quake's 27th birthday of June 22, 2023 (well close enough. Upload was started yesterday).
index.php

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom