Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Quake II enhanced re-release by Nightdive Studios

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I'm a yuge vanilla Q1 fag. To me, ep1-3 atmosphere (ep4 and final confrontation are definitely a noticeable dip in quality) is absolutely amazing and unparalleled in any of the following official or unofficial content. Not that a lot of the unofficial community maps aren't gr8, mind you.
ep4 is cool

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.nexusmods.com/quake2/mods/15

====================
Quake 2 Unmaster Mod
====================

This mod gives you the ability to turn on/off some of the more significant gameplay tweaks of the Nightdive Studios remaster of Quake 2, to your taste.

It also allows you to choose a tweaked version of the berserker jump (by setting un_berserker_jump to 2), which adds a crouch/hunker down just before it jumps, and reduces the splash damage.

====================
Source code
====================

The source code for this mod is available at https://github.com/nickgovier/Q2unmaster

It is derived from the Nightdive game source release at: https://github.com/id-Software/quake2-rerelease-dll

Please see the Nightdive game source release README.md for compilation instructions and dependencies.

It is licensed under the GNU General Public License v2.0. Please see LICENSE.txt for further info.

====================
Installation
====================

Unzip the contents into %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake II\
It should create an "unmaster" folder in there, alongside the existing "baseq2"

Launch the game with the command line parameter:
+set game unmaster

Or in Steam, click the Cog on the Quake 2 page, go to Properties, and enter:
+set game unmaster
in the Launch Options.

====================
Save games
====================

It is recommended that you start a new game and create new saves for this mod. However, some users have reported that they have been able to copy their saves from baseq2\save into the unmaster\save folder and continue their saved games using the mod. However, given that the underlying code is changing, it is not guaranteed that this will work flawlessly. As long as you retain a copy of your saves in baseq2\save, you can always continue those saved games without the mod.

====================
New cvars
====================

Each change can be individually enabled or disabled with a console variable. All of the Unmaster console variables are prefixed with "un_". Bring up the console, type "un_" and hit tab (rather than enter) to see a list of them all.

The mod comes with an autoexec.cfg that you can edit in notepad to set your preferred options.

Hint: Setting a cvar to 0 enables original Quake 2 behaviour. Setting it to 1 retains the remaster behaviour.

====================
Cvar list
====================

HUD
==========

un_damage_indicator0 (default): No HUD damage direction indicators, like in Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, damage direction appears around the crosshair
You can also turn off Hit Markers in Options->Gameplay to avoid the red X that appears when you cause damage

Weapons
========

un_railgun_nerf0 (default): Railgun damage is set to original Quake 2 levels
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. Railgun damage is reduced in single player

un_machinegun_smooth0 (default): The machinegun kicks up, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. no kick

un_blaster_buff0 (default): Blaster damage is reduced in single player, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. stronger single player blaster shots

un_hyperblaster_trails0 (default): Hyperblaster bolts do not have trails, like in original Quake 2, and Remastered.
1 : Hyperblaster bolts have blaster trails, like in the Sep 4, 1997 beta of Quake 2.

g_quick_weapon_switch0 : Weapon switching time is set to original Quake 2 levels
1 (default): Remastered behaviour, weapons switch faster
* Note that this cvar is built into the game and doesn't require the unmaster mod *

Items
========

un_barrel_delay0 (default): Barrels explode immediately, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. barrels explode on a timer unless they take a lot of damage

un_compass0 (default): You do not have a compass
1 : You have a compass
If un_compass is set to zero, you can now type "give compass" to get it. "give all" will also give you the compass.

un_powershield_nerf0 (default): Powershield/screen drains at the same rate for all weapons, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. energy weapons drain the powershield/screen twice as fast
You can now type "give powershield" to get it. You might want to "give ammo" too if you don't have any cells.

AI
========

un_berserker_jump0 (default): Berserkers never jump, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. the Berserker can jump
2 : New behaviour, see below
New berserker jump behaviour:
If you set un_berserker_jump to 2, it utilises a new jumping behaviour for the berserker. It will still act like the Remastered berserker, but with the following changes:
- You will see the berserker crouch/hunker down just before he launches his jumping attack, giving you an indication that it is coming.
- When he lands, the radius over which his slam will cause damage/kick is reduced, so you have a chance to dodge while he's in the air.

un_flyer_smother0 (default): Flyers shoot from afar, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. flyers relentlessly advance until they smother the player in melee attacks

un_monster_footsteps0 (default): Monsters walk silently, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. monsters make footstep sounds

un_monster_die_noclip0 (default): Monsters remain solid during their death animations, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, you can walk through dying monsters

un_monster_sidestep0 (default): Monsters will not strafe to avoid grenades, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. monsters easily avoid grenades

un_monster_duck0 (default): Monsters will not duck projectiles, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. monsters can duck frequently

un_monster_blindfire0 (default): Monsters stop shooting when losing sight, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. monsters will fire at the corner you just ran around

un_monster_hyperaware0 (default): Monsters notice the player as they did in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. monsters can see you when you're behind them and tell each other that you're there

un_monster_walkjump0 (default): Monsters stay on the platforms/floors they spawn on, like in original Quake 2
1 : Remastered behaviour, i.e. some monsters can jump from floor to floor to chase the player
really hated the HUD damage direction indicators, and the railgun nerf (multiplayer damage in singleplayer) - berserker telegraphing the jump is a very nice tweak
un_damage_indicator 0
un_railgun_nerf 0
un_hyperblaster_trails 1
un_berserker_jump 2

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Nightdive enhances nothing, btw.
Everything they touch they make look (read: play) worse for first-time players, because they're incompetent as fuck.
Play on original hardware or emulate. Avoid Nightdive at all cost. They're the Beamdog of FPSs.

Ash

Arcane
I'm a yuge vanilla Q1 fag. To me, ep1-3 atmosphere (ep4 and final confrontation are definitely a noticeable dip in quality) is absolutely amazing and unparalleled in any of the following official or unofficial content. Not that a lot of the unofficial community maps aren't gr8, mind you.

After now having played around 500+ custom quake maps and originally being a skeptic as id are level design gods, I have to concede - the community surpassed the original level design. There are a lot of really fucking good maps out there, it's just a matter of finding the right ones. Also it's a matter of letting go of the concept of episodes and long-term arsenal management, as unfortunate as that is, as most of the best levels are standalone.

Everything they touch they make look (read: play) worse for first-time players, because they're incompetent as fuck.
Play on original hardware or emulate. Avoid Nightdive at all cost. They're the Beamdog of FPSs.
Depends on the game. In most cases I agree, they impose upon decades of fan efforts, add decline handholding, or even break things. Quake, Blood, System Shock, Doom 64 and others all already had extensive, free fan-made efforts. e.g Blood had multiple source ports, System Shock had System Shock Portable (which they forcibly took down) which featured many of the same things the Enhanced Edition does...but I do make an exception for some. Turok was inaccessible to mod and so they gave it new life. Quake 2 had dumb as shit AI which nobody bothered to fix because while the game is decent it wasn't really worth the effort I guess, and they did some other valuable things too like port over Q2 64. Strife I guess it's the same situation - nobody really gave a shit to make it a better game over the years so it is nice Nightdive took the initiative.

Let's say that half their efforts are valuable, the other half just greedy cashgrabs that are inferior to fan efforts or add decline. But even their worst ventures are still more respectable than a lot of the utterly awful remasters out there. I really wish if anything they would stop adding casualization features though. It undermines the original design vision and validates pussification of gameplay.

Last edited:

janior

Arcane
Patron
agreed, zero reasons to 'redo'those old ID games, excellent sourceports existed many years prior to the rape of renchancing them by some clueless hacks

toughasnails

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2320/view/3748740708262999111
Quake II - Update 1 is available now!
This is the first major update to the enhanced Quake II re-release.

Update 1 includes multiple quality of life improvements, some balance changes, and several notable bug fixes. Thanks to everyone who provided valuable feedback at launch!

BALANCE CHANGES

General Gameplay

• Increased Railgun damage from 100 to 125
  • Monsters will no longer dodge shots coming from the side or behind
  • The slime and lava traps in The Slimy Place and The Frag Pipe can no longer be avoided
  • Turrets no longer do extra damage when blind firing
  • Killing a Brain while its chest is open will now always count as a kill
  • Monsters will no longer open nearby doors immediately after spawning
  • Fixbots will abort healing when staggering from pain

• Berserker:
  • The Berserker’s attack can be dodged by jumping when the slam occurs
  • Added a visual tell to indicate when the Berserker’s jump is being charged up
  • Added an additional 100ms delay before the Berserker jumps after it is fully charged
  • Reduced slam attack damage

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Still didn't fix players gibbing each other during map change in coop, huh?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I should've waited for the the patch to increase railgun damage before playing through everything. :negative:
shit me too
w4Z8sD3.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2320/view/3748740708262999111
Quake II - Update 1 is available now!
This is the first major update to the enhanced Quake II re-release.

Update 1 includes multiple quality of life improvements, some balance changes, and several notable bug fixes. Thanks to everyone who provided valuable feedback at launch!

BALANCE CHANGES

General Gameplay

• Increased Railgun damage from 100 to 125
  • Monsters will no longer dodge shots coming from the side or behind
  • The slime and lava traps in The Slimy Place and The Frag Pipe can no longer be avoided
  • Turrets no longer do extra damage when blind firing
  • Killing a Brain while its chest is open will now always count as a kill
  • Monsters will no longer open nearby doors immediately after spawning
  • Fixbots will abort healing when staggering from pain

• Berserker:
  • The Berserker’s attack can be dodged by jumping when the slam occurs
  • Added a visual tell to indicate when the Berserker’s jump is being charged up
  • Added an additional 100ms delay before the Berserker jumps after it is fully charged
  • Reduced slam attack damage

Good update honestly

Strife I guess it's the same situation - nobody really gave a shit to make it a better game over the years so it is nice Nightdive took the initiative.

What the fuck are you smoking? Strife through GZDoom or Vavoom is a significantly better experience than Strife: VE for a multitude of reasons. If you care more about "Authentic" Strife then Chocolate Strife will be a better experience.

And it was basically another case of them taking community effort (in this case, Chocolate Strife and Vavoom code) and """enhancing""" it by making it worse.

Let's say that half their efforts are valuable, the other half just greedy cashgrabs that are inferior to fan efforts or add decline. But even their worst ventures are still more respectable than a lot of the utterly awful remasters out there. I really wish if anything they would stop adding casualization features though. It undermines the original design vision and validates pussification of gameplay.

System Shock: EE is quite literally broken in it's current state because of KEX issues. Q1 Remastered has weird/broken movement because of KEX issues. They are a lazy company that shunts everything through their proprietary engine for no reason and then sells community work.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
So there's all these single player campaign- related achievements that can be viewed from the main menu, but they don't unlock. I noticed that they're the same as in Steam with the exact same icons, but I'm playing the GOG version without Galaxy, offline. Nightmare skill, using regular saves. I don't give a rat's ass about them, but I'd like to know if they're glitched.

Zoo

Novice
So there's all these single player campaign- related achievements that can be viewed from the main menu, but they don't unlock. I noticed that they're the same as in Steam with the exact same icons, but I'm playing the GOG version without Galaxy, offline. Nightmare skill, using regular saves. I don't give a rat's ass about them, but I'd like to know if they're glitched.
If you want Galaxy achievements, you need to play it with Galaxy.

Semiurge

Cipher

Why would Quake 2 Enhanced have any launcher achievements in its main menu, most of all GOG achievements? All studios spit on GOG.

No, those are built in.

Zoo

Novice

Why would Quake 2 Enhanced have any launcher achievements in its main menu, most of all GOG achievements? All studios spit on GOG.

No, those are built in.
All GOG achievements are Galaxy achievements. It is the way it works. Built-in achievements have technically nothing to do with GOG/Steam achievements. If you play a DRM-free Steam game without the client, you don't get Steam achievements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom