Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Quest for Glory Retrospective at Hardcore Gaming 101

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Corey Cole; Quest for Glory; Sierra Entertainment

Hardcore Gaming 101 has put up a detailed multi-page retrospective article on The Quest for Glory series:

The Quest for Glory series, designed by the husband and wife team of Lori and Corey Cole and initially published in 1990, is a bit of an oddball amongst Sierra's adventure titles. Although similar in appearance, they're less like point-and-click adventures and more like RPGs that happen to be dressed in adventure game clothing.

The main concept of Quest for Glory is evident through the subtitle of the first game: So You Want to be a Hero? In each of the five games you play a character whose job is to travel the world of Gloriana, saving the inhabitants from evil. Each of the five games takes place in a different part of the world: the first takes place in the Germanic land of Spielburg, with a bit of a traditional medieval flavor; the second is in the Middle Eastern land of Shapeir, with an Arabic flair; the third takes place in the Africa-like land of Tarna; the fourth in the Transylvania-esque land of Mordavia; and the fifth and final is in Silmaria, heavily resembling Ancient Greece. It's clear that the Coles had a vague overarching plan for the series from the get-go, which strengthens the ties between installments. It's amazing that they were actually able to finish their plans, given how many other gaming series get cut short.

There were originally four games planned - So You Want to Be a Hero, Trial by Fire, Shadows of Darkness, and Dragon Fire. However, after the second game, the Coles deviated from their initial plan to create another title, Wages of War. The series then continued as planned, and ended with the release of Dragon Fire in 1998. Each game was to represent one of the four cardinal directions, one of the four elements, and one of the four seasons, although this was somewhat thrown off with Wages of War. Each also has a unique setting, complete with interesting characters to meet, good and bad. Many real life folk tales and myths are also woven into the story. The main plots rarely go beyond the usual "find and conquer an evil demon", but what makes them so interesting are the unique plights of the townspeople, and how you save them.​

The article analyzes all the titles in the series, from I to V, and also includes an interview with Corey Cole, the co-designer of the games:

Quest for Glory is very atypical of most computer RPGs of the time, in that it was heavily focused on narrative. What were some of your inspirations that carried you away from something like Ultima?

We were influenced more by paper-and-pencil roleplaying than by computer games. The first computer RPG's (such as Temple of Apshai) came with booklets containing the game text. As you entered each room, the game gave you a key number. The booklet gave you a complete description of the room when you looked up the key. That was their way of trying to create a live RPG experience on a computer, and of course was very primitive.

We had a lot more memory to play with, so were able to incorporate the text into the actual game. I think we arrived at exactly the right time in the industry to make the Quest for Glory games. Computers and the SCI game engine had enough power to let us tell stories, but the cost of graphics was still low enough to let us tell them instead of spending the entire game budget on 3D art.

We played a few of the Ultima, Wizardry, The Bard's Tale, and similar games prior to starting Quest for Glory. While we enjoyed them (especially Wizardry), we felt they were missing the narration that was an essential part of "live" roleplaying. Our goal with Quest for Glory was to make the player feel that they were playing a character in a good live RPG.​

I also remind you that the Quest for Glory pack is now available on GOG.com for only $9.99.

Last edited by a moderator:

likaq

Arcane
Do you have any future plans for Quest for Glory, or other similar types of role playing games or stories?

Activision, Sierra's parent company, owns all rights to Quest for Glory and appears to have no interest in developing more games in the series

Fuck you kotick.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
We were discussing this release over at the C4 forums and Eric said he worked on QFGV:

There were 21 programmers on the project in addition to myself. Most of them worked on game code. Many of them were not on the project for the entire duration (and the entire duration was October 1996 - November 1998).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/quest-for-glory-v-dragon-fire/credits

I visited the Cole's website and apparently they are working on an adventure game, so there could be another Kickstarter on the way.

http://www.farstudio.net/

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My favorites in order are Quest for Glory I, followed by 4, 2, 3, and then 5. I liked 3's setting but found the game forgettable. QFG5 was the weakest in the series plot-wise, but was still a decent game. The soundtrack was for five was also outstanding and I have "The Dance of Mystery and Intrigue" saved to my music library.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know, 4 is full of bugs. So much so I could never finish it. It'd always crash when retrieving one of these five/six things you have to collect- specifically the one in the swamp. There were many other crashes too.

3 is my favorite because it was my first, so I owe it. It also had great atmosphere. I adored the descriptions of the food in the inn. It's also full of bugs, some of which the work-around is "reload until it doesn't crash" or "randomize the RNG-seed, then try again". I would literally always crash throwing the spear at the ring. Plus, furries.

2 is amazing. 2 made me really love that 16 color graphics palette. What the game did with its technical limitations was just stunning to me. Plus, furries.

1 was a lot of fun too, but it felt as if many ideas weren't quite fleshed out yet. (This is the VGA remake; I never had the original).

5... I played the demo of that game and it doesn't feel like QfG at all. It doesn't even feel like a game at all; it's so soulless.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i understood that qfg4 was buggy as hell, but man, it was worth the money at that time. I really enjoyed it. Seeing my hero helping the really really poor townsfolk (They were VERY miserable) as the Paladin felt damn good. The setting was fantastic. To hell with QFG3 african atmosphere, it doesn't have any good gameplay that I could recall and the puzzle solving was terrible, with minimal exploration to boot.

QFG4 had dark atmosphere, wonderful portraits, and a slew of other nice folk tales they included. That dark cave at the start with the swamp creeps me out. Meeting Rusalka for the first time, I realized my mother is right behind me, cleaning my room. I quickly switched off the monitor and waited till she left. Ahahaha.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It depends what kind of experience you want. I think the "small town surrounded by forest full of quests" model of QFG1 and QFG4 provided a great non-linear experience. It was very immersive - you were basically trapped in this small area and you got to know it really well.
QFG2 and QFG3 were wonderful also but their disjointed, half-cinematic approach left something to be desired. QFG3 in particular just felt EMPTY. There were simply not enough interesting things to do. QFG2 was also pretty empty but at least you could sleep in the inn and wait until something interesting happened in town.

Re bugs: Get a patch for QFG4 or buy it from GoG.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's just the bonus of being the first. It's like being a kid but seeing Indiana Jones 3 first. Makes you prefer it for eternity due to nostalgia goggles. 4 was definitely cool in its own way, with its strange mix of Lovecraft and humor.

You know, I'll just grab them all on GOG and finish 4 finally. It's about time.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Yeah QFG4 was one of the buggiest releases back then but I loved the setting and the characters:love:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=357

Alrighty - here's a warning from me - don't read this if you don't like 'reality' and harsh words... then again - if you've downloaded the game AND LIKED IT - this won't even phase you...

-------

The game is a piece of excretory substance... It took and bastardized the Quest for Glory name, made the Hero a perverted psychopath, ripped off Sierra for all they're worth by stealing backgrounds from both QFG1 and KQ5 - and probably others...

I don't hold this game in high regard at all... The makers should be shot *looks for PL* It's an insult to all the fans of QFG. This game can't even be considered a 'fangame' - since the people who made it evidently aren't fans of the game, or else they wouldn't have butchered the game like they did! I'm ashamed that I even downloaded it myself

:hero:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I just bought this on GOG. I've never played these. Any tips on character creation? And the glorious glorious MT-32 music <3 <3 <3

RK47

Patron
Which? First? Just pick a class and do what the class would do. Most of the attributes can be increased if you keep using certain skills.
Thief is the most indirect solver of problems. And has Thieves Guild quest line to snag some good gold pieces at night.
Mages involves usage of spells and acquiring new ones to proceed.
Fighters charge head on, hoping to score a kill before getting killed. (Banal Shit Boring)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yes sorry. I meant the first (The EGA version). Thief sounds kind of interesting. And so the skills go up as you use them? K.

RK47

Patron
Lots of repetition.
Also type 'pick nose'

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Don't forget that there is a free VGA remake for QFG2 by AGD interactive if you want next-gen VGA graphics instead of the oldschool EGA graphics and some other updates,you can import and export characters normally like the normal game(at least that's what they say,I did't have any 20 year old saves to try it when I played the remake)
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Yeah those look nice, but I don't believe they use/have the GLORIOUS High End MT-32 music and special effect sounds of a MT-32. AND FFS! GOG defaults to the pop-a-mole next gen VGA remake when playing QFG1. I'll just copy the EGA version in DFend and play it there. Now I don't remember how these old interfaces work.... I feel like a little kid again. Back with my old Amiga 500 <3

Erebus

Arcane
Although similar in appearance, they're less like point-and-click adventures and more like RPGs that happen to be dressed in adventure game clothing.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. While the games are highly hybrid, I'd say they're at least 50% adventure games (more if you're playing a thief or a wizard).

The only QfG game I played back when it was released is the third one. Later, I played the fourth one a bit. And just a few days ago, I finished playing the remake of QfG 2 as a fighter (I'd given it a try last year, but the bellows bug had made me ragequit). I also checked a LP of QfG 1 and 5 to see what they're like.

The games are fun and entertaining... most of the time. Training to improve your stats tends to be horribly repetitive and will make you long for traditional grinding (the reason I'll never play QfG 3 as a fighter again is that I can't stand the idea of going through the hellish boredom of training in the simbani village one more time).

The writing is nice and the humor tends to be pretty funny.

I found combat in QfG 3 and 4 rather clunky. It wasn't so bad in the QfG 2 remake, though the attackattackattack strategy was often the most efficient one.

I liked the settings of QfG 2 and 3. I didn't care much for the transylvanesque setting of QfG 4, but that may be a matter of personal taste.

From what I've seen of QfG 5, its developers really did everything they could to make it feel like a conclusion to the whole series. They included many (too many ?) NPCs from previous games and also four possible romances. I'm not sure that was a really good idea, but I can't tell, since I haven't actually played it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
You really don't need to grind that much in these games. Maybe only in the first one, where you do start out very weak and need to beef yourself up to stand a chance at surviving fights against tougher enemies like brigands, etc.

BTW there are some designated grinding/training zones in each game, so you don't necessarily need to go out looking for monsters to kill. In QFG1 it's the "Goblin HQ" (you'll know it when you find it).

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Quest for Glory is the best. :love:

And it's entirely possible to beat the first two games without fighting if you are a wizard or thief, so grinding is not strictly necessary. It's easy enough to do though, and doesn't take terribly long.

I just bought this on GOG. I've never played these. Any tips on character creation? And the glorious glorious MT-32 music <3 <3 <3
Every character gets unique things to do in each game (though the thief is a little sparse in III), unique solutions to puzzles, etc. It's worth giving the game a try with each class.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, scummvm sci is at a early stage.

You'll be taking one for the team if you report bugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom