Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Quest For Glory

Erebus

Arcane
The first part of the game can feel rather empty (a bit less so for the wizard, who gets a specific quest). The second part is more dynamic, but I'm not quite sure what triggers it. It's probably necessary to at least complete the quest you're given by Sekhmet.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
heh this fucking pop-a-mole next gen non text parser interface! I fucking pissed off the king due to not understanding to click on myself with the speak icon.

That was amusing however. And there sure is a fuckton of dialogue. And jebus that shit they serve as food in the inn. D:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Did they use a different composer for III? This music is pretty..... un-inspiring so far.
:x

It's Rudy Helm you unwashed peasant.

It's my second favorite QFG track (after 4) in terms of best pieces, and #1 on average thanks to 4 having both the best and the shittiest tracks.

everything is not so inspiring about third part
WARNING. SCEPTIC AI AWAKENED. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

apparent disconnected setting - like, you were taken away from Rakeesh & co h in the end of the third part, and the events of the fourth one took somewhere about a month, yet when you meet him in fifth, almost immediately after the end of the fourth, he's all old & greymane & has a grown-up kid... WTF???)
The only disconnect is in the neurons in your brain :rpgcodex: Shakra is mentioned (by name even I think) back in QFG3, where they tell you he's in Silmaria studying magic and hoping to open up his own shop, as he's taken after his mother's magical talents. And once you get to Silmaria you, shockingly, find... Shakra! who's a mage! WITH HIS OWN MAGIC SHOP!!!!!1111
Fucking players who can't read shit :rpgcodex:

Also, Rakeesh is NOT young. It's kinda hinted at in 2, when you consider he was already king and then abdicated BEFORE he even became a paladin, then had been leading the paladin's life for some time before you meet him. And it's stated outright in 3 when you meet the young and old guards at the gate - the young one, who's old enough to serve, wasn't even born when Rakeesh abdicated.

and that's not surprising, considering that original authors were not even planning to do it the way it was done.
Bullshit, the Coles have flipflopped on what the original plan for the entire series was several times. And it was obvious since like 2 that one of the games would eventually take place in Silmaria, as it's referenced in 2 and 3 several times.

I won't say that there are no bright spots in it, but, gameplay-wise, it's the narrowest one out of them all (meaning that all classes are confined to their options and no multi-classing rewards are available)
Good. "Multiclassing" in QFG3 is little more than exploiting anyway. And besides you can still do several things not as intended, and it makes perfect sense

there's way too little side-content (especially for thief
Bullshit. This lie has been spread for years now (funnily enough NOT back when the games were still being released) and it's obvious it originated from a butthurt thief player who never touched any of the other classes. EVERY game after the first shafted at least one class with almost zero side content or class-specific content. EVERY.ONE. QFG2 had the one-minute-long EOF event for fighters and the two-minute-long WIT for the mage, but of course tons of side stuff for the thief so that's alright, we can pretend it's full of side content for everyone! QFG5 had the ring of truth stuff for the paladin and NOTHING for the mage, but of course tons of side stuff for the thief so that's alright, we can pretend it's full of side content for everyone! And everybody's darling QFG4 actually shafts both mages AND thieves with pitiful shit for the thief and one of the absolutely stupidest triggers forced down the mage's throat (the whole fairies deal), yet of course all those complaining about 3's lack of thief choices don't mind that in 4. QFG3's actually the only one that only shafts ONE class instead of two, yet of course everyone picks on it. Fucking double standards.

and there are some really, really stupid moments, like having casual sex with that stupid werejaguar chick - I mean, WTF, I'm a freaking paladin who even abstained from looking at some pixellated boobies through the magical glasses (and mind you, those boobies were white, well, sand-white), yet here I easily engage in promiscuity with some black whore? How the fuck am I going explain this to Erana (later, obviously)?
Well done spoiling shit for the guy playing for the first time. Also, casual sex? they kiss. Promiscuity? you've never even met Erana then. Did you have to explain your first school kiss to your wife? did she accuse you of cheating on her because you kissed someone ten years before you'd even met her? and why the fuck are you bringing Biowarian arguments into a QFG thread? GTFO :rpgcodex:

Sorry, I get a little bit defensive when certain specific arguments get brought up against QFG3. No hard feelings I hope.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
QFG4 does not shaft thieves.
You can break into the jail (for the gypsy stuff), get into the secret guild, get into the old man's house (actually it was possible to do stuff there that wouldn't pulverize your honor, so it was fun for multi chars too), get the fake blackbird for qfg5, some other things in the the castle i forget.

Mages only have that one boring duel event thou. And the new spells you can get from the nosferatu meth.... baba-yaga - though that isn't even mage exclusive, but magic user

Well done spoiling shit for the guy playing for the first time. Also, casual sex? they kiss. Promiscuity? you've never even met Erana then. Did you have to explain your first school kiss to your wife?
Racist moron aside, you can actually do the deed, if you've 'romanced' her correctly. Getting horizontal is fairly unambiguous.
Still get dumped in the end for the black stallion lol.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think they kinda indulge too much into the dialogues without the interactive content for 3.
I suppose it's fine if you like that kind of thing, I certainly did not mind it and kept socializing just to spice the game a bit.
But the interactive segments are certainly lacking a bit. How many thievery can you commit in Q3 again? Can't recall/

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Dialogs are the best part of 3. They sometimes even change according to the day/night/game stage.
For thief specific content, you see the reaction of everyone to the thief sign as usual, can get a secret skill, use the alternate solutions of the class (the drum or bypassing the guard demons, or getting into tarna at night). Definitely shafted (there is nothing to steal in tarna or in the simbadi village).
You'd think the climbing hook might be useful for something class specific, but i think it is only used as alternate solutions using thief skills.

However, try things like throwing rocks to make noises (iirc), using daggers outside of combat.

I tend to prefer training in Erana's Place or the Earth of the world to optimize (resting 10 minutes there refills your stamina)

It's funny, but i think the best class specific event on QFG3 is the competition (griding the exercises aside). The magical duel is too short /and has one or 2 solutions only

Communication is actually used during the conversation with the king (though it is funnier if you fail at it). It is very easy to grind if you know how.

I was always annoyed in QFG3 that my magic-user multiclass chars didn't get the Juggling Balls (even though it is hellish to train), and into 4 too.
Even the staff spell...
Notice somekind of freudiaan implications of the names? Oh Lori.

One thing that intrigued me about 3 was the oracle dialogs... is there a table of them all and the conditions needed to get them?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
QFG4 does not shaft thieves.
Aside from the guild, all the others are completely pointless, and for the blackbird it's sitting where every other class could see it (and technically fighter/paladin should even be able to get it), so it's not exactly what I'd call a meaningful class-specific side quest (and if it is then all the thief stuff you listed for QFG3 also counts as not shafting the thief and therefore case closed)

Racist moron aside, you can actually do the deed, if you've 'romanced' her correctly. Getting horizontal is fairly unambiguous.
Wait what? pretty sure I'd done it properly, and it just fades to black after the kiss.

Definitely shafted (there is nothing to steal in tarna or in the simbadi village).
Not as side stuff, but then none of the other classes get side stuff either, so I don't see what the complain is about. That the thief doesn't get stuff above and beyond what all the other classes get? ENTITLEMENT!
:smug:

You'd think the climbing hook might be useful for something class specific
It is actually, since thief is the only class that can steal the drum.

It's funny, but i think the best class specific event on QFG3 is the competition (griding the exercises aside). The magical duel is too short /and has one or 2 solutions only
Well the mage also gets to actually make the staff, which is quite fun. The duel might be short, but it is by far the best magic duel in any game I've played. Generally QFG is very good at making non-combat magic fun and useful, better than any other CRPG series except Daggerfall/Morrowind. Running a pure mage through the series is TONS of fun, I did it a few months ago, and you get to pull off some really creative shit if you pay attention and remember how magic works, sometimes from game to game!

Notice somekind of freudiaan implications of the names? Oh SCO.
Fixed, as the actual name is Juggling Lights. Freudian slip if I've ever seen one ;)

One thing that intrigued me about 3 was the oracle dialogs... is there a table of them all and the conditions needed to get them?
I could never figure out how they worked, though which symbols you should pick depends on your class. Which answers you should pick I have no idea. Some of them are pretty cool though, and I love this whole segment for being really atmospheric, and for having some very well done foreshadowing while at the same time making a twist on the traditional prophecy shtick (though you'd only get this MUCH later in the game)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Hmmm. Seen a video now, I must have inserted the laying down motion on my memories.
Well, there is a time-skip anyway - i think the implication is clear.

Dexter

Arcane
Playing through these too now since I've seen them mentioned and recommended so often that I can't bear overlooking them anymore. :D
Finished playing the first part, taking the graphics whore VGA Remake route and will likely continue with the Unofficial VGA Remake of the second.

I liked it rather well overall, but I don't know if I particularly like the RPG stat elements Mixed in with the Adventure gameplay, since at least for the Fighter it basically forced me to fight-grind a lot and the combat system seems somewhat awkward with hits barely registering at the start and then hit-locking most enemies near the end so they can't really hit you back anymore.

I also caught myself looking into a guide for a few things, this is definitely the kind of game that I would have likely drawn up a map for back in the day and obsessed over finding most stuff, but I can't seem to come up with the same sort of patience anymore. Still liked the Open world design a lot, especially in combination with the beautiful art.

22lJy9D.png
kU3uut8.png
vELIyvV.png
A7tKTNs.png
85moixD.png
nayKyWX.png
XZReTwt.png
FHQmhqG.png
rvCXpGW.png
qxIVxAT.png
2ButXNo.png
Vl1Oh14.png
GYfEoP1.png
3bVJUIv.png
uncCZRR.png
tcXad0v.png
fgWrxxZ.png
QlwkhY1.png
LL0fwa3.png
4xJHy2n.png
4psrApS.png
FXVVJCB.png
Asu9UPQ.png
03JskgP.png
WGYaTh6.png
zAETMrY.png
ymVultf.png
8M7Dn6I.png
80dftb0.png
qO2BnL3.png
W1Pbymw.png
hWd0g3q.png
jyNmNDV.png
kchR8LG.png
sHbZ2m6.png
MxoAIWa.png
qZ2Oj0Y.png
2p51nIC.png
YccThz7.png
gKGRLVg.png
qqezw23.png
unrKCgw.png
Ju0Pjro.png
S6oKNnT.png
byiIxfA.png
abPMwMR.png
MOev4jf.png
eel70gk.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing through these too now since I've seen them mentioned and recommended so often that I can't bear overlooking them anymore. :D
Finished playing the first part, taking the graphics whore VGA Remake route and will likely continue with the Unofficial VGA Remake of the second.

I liked it rather well overall, but I don't know if I particularly like the RPG stat elements Mixed in with the Adventure gameplay, since at least for the Fighter it basically forced me to fight-grind a lot and the combat system seems somewhat awkward with hits barely registering at the start and then hit-locking most enemies near the end so they can't really hit you back anymore.

22lJy9D.png
kU3uut8.png
vELIyvV.png
A7tKTNs.png
85moixD.png
nayKyWX.png
XZReTwt.png
FHQmhqG.png
rvCXpGW.png
qxIVxAT.png
2ButXNo.png
Vl1Oh14.png
GYfEoP1.png
3bVJUIv.png
uncCZRR.png
tcXad0v.png
fgWrxxZ.png
QlwkhY1.png
LL0fwa3.png
4xJHy2n.png
4psrApS.png
FXVVJCB.png
Asu9UPQ.png
03JskgP.png
WGYaTh6.png
zAETMrY.png
ymVultf.png
8M7Dn6I.png
80dftb0.png
qO2BnL3.png
W1Pbymw.png
hWd0g3q.png
jyNmNDV.png
kchR8LG.png
sHbZ2m6.png
MxoAIWa.png
qZ2Oj0Y.png
2p51nIC.png
YccThz7.png
gKGRLVg.png
qqezw23.png
unrKCgw.png
Ju0Pjro.png
S6oKNnT.png
byiIxfA.png
abPMwMR.png
MOev4jf.png
eel70gk.png

Don't worry, QFG1 is the only game in the series that really requires you to grind to survive.

Tigranes

Arcane
Necropower, activate!

ScummVM'ing the GOG Quest for Glory pack, fresh off my KQ6 run. Things are excruciatingly slow, however - there is a large padlock on the in-game speed setting that I can't seem to adjust. I tried using DOSBOX instead and upping PC cycles, etc., but it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference. I am not going to put up with taking 10 seconds to sit down and watch the cat lady come out. Tips?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
AFAIK the lock should only appear when a cutscene animation is playing. If you play the original versions of QFG 1 and 2 you can just use ctrl-+ to boost the game speed.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Temptation to replay QfG is so stronk! Must... resist...

*6 hours later* Gotta max out all the stats before exporting the char, DERP. Beware, QfG2! Munchkin is coming!

QfG was more than a quest/rpg for me. It was a game where you KNOW it's not the end. You just always knew there will be a sequel and you WILL be given an opportunity to import your save. It was a never-ending adventure. The games were pretty short, sure, but new parts were released every year or two. Until the dreadful 5th that is.

Quest for Infamy looks promising. Then again, it just tickles the soft nostalgia spot. I kinda waited for QfG revival, but I'll just watch that project from a distance for now. And let the classics entertain me.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Thieves can become paladins at the end of QFG2 (you can even break and enter some houses iirc, you just have to game the system and fool karma - giving coins to beggar). Becoming a paladin in QFG3 is a bit more amusing though, since it fills a bit of the game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Beware, QfG2! Munchkin is coming!

I assume you don't want to get the paladin class then?
What's a paladin? (c)
Well, SCO already answered that one for me. QfG 2 has its tiny little exploits.

By the way, who is this guy? White shirt, leather jerkin, green pants, red cloak, blonde hair. He is protagonist in QfG series, Ultima series and I'm pretty sure I saw him in bunch of other games. Is it some sort of default-typical-adventurer-guy? I mean, what's the origin?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

What's a paladin? (c)

By the way, who is this guy? White shirt, leather jerkin, green pants, red cloak, blonde hair. He is protagonist in QfG series, Ultima series and I'm pretty sure I saw him in bunch of other games. Is it some sort of default-typical-adventurer-guy? I mean, what's the origin?

The Quest for Glory protagonist does have one identifiable trait that I can think of. In the first game, he's called the "Hero from the East". Since Spielburg is supposed to be Germany, that might mean he's Polish. :)

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

What's a paladin? (c)

The Quest for Glory protagonist does have one identifiable trait that I can think of. In the first game, he's called the "Hero from the East". Since Spielburg is supposed to be Germany, that might mean he's Polish. :)

He's apparently from a town called Willowsby, which might be based on the real town of Weiden (Willow) in Eastern Germany, close to the border to the Czech Republic. The local cuisine includes knockwurst and sauerkraut.

Source

Gozma

Arcane
He's also a graduate of the adventurer's correspondence school. I guess this is kind of a dead Americana pop culture joke now, but it's a way of saying that he's a combination sucker/dreamer/low-end autodidact.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
How do you even remember all these details? Am I the only one with amnesia here?

1. So, question about munchkin playthrough. The "zap" spell. Will I EVER need it for non-combat purposes? If not, is there any other reason to convert to mage class during char imports? I remember someone from QfG1 (Erasmus most likely) saying smth like "if you wanna be a wizard, you need 9 spells, such as blah-blah, ZAP, blah-blah".

2. I'm currently playing vga version of QfG2, since I finished the ega back in the day and never seen vga before. Kinda curious. But it has, err, differences. Or maybe it's just me. So, mages and thieves cannot into swords? I'm pretty sure they could use swords in ega, correct me if I'm wrong. Some dialogue options can be reached only in parser, but it's ok with me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
1. IIRC, Erasmus is saying that you can only gain a maximum of 9 spells in QFG1. Either that or you must have learned 9 spells in total to qualify for the Wizard trials in QFG2. And no, I don't remember ever using Zap outside of combat...or outside of QFG1 for that matter.

2. Yes, there are differences. The EGA version was very liberal when it came to what classes could do, and I remember noticing some restrictions imposed in the VGA version. There are also some additions, but I think they all qualify as Easter Eggs and are not really essential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom