Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Quest For Glory

Norfleet

I've never tried switching from thief or wizard to paladin in QfG2 and I'm a bit curious as to how it would work. Does the hero gain the ability to wield a sword ?
The hero has the ability to wield a sword, regardless of class. The only reason he doesn't wield a sword is simply because he doesn't have one. A thief or wizard starts with a dagger in QFG1 and simply never gains a sword. Since your inventory is carried over from QFG1, if you entered as a thief or wizard, you don't have a sword because you never had the opportunity to acquire one.

What happens when he faces class-dependent events ?
In QFG2? Nothing. There are no class-dependent events. Any character with the requisite abilities can do anything. If you happen to have the ability and equipment that allows you to solve something as a certain class, then you can. Otherwise, you use one of the many possible other solutions. It isn't until 3 that they start locking you into paths by explicit class, rather than ability.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What happens when he faces class-dependent events ?
In QFG2? Nothing. There are no class-dependent events. Any character with the requisite abilities can do anything. If you happen to have the ability and equipment that allows you to solve something as a certain class, then you can. Otherwise, you use one of the many possible other solutions. It isn't until 3 that they start locking you into paths by explicit class, rather than ability.

So anybody with Magic skill can become a Wizard? Also, what ability allows you to join EOF?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
So anybody with Magic skill can become a Wizard? Also, what ability allows you to join EOF?

He's not entirely true on this one - yeah, anyone with magic skill can become a wizard and, if your thieving skills are up to task, you can do all the robberies available, but that special event for EOF joining just never happens if you're not a fighter. Endgame also varies a bit depending on your starting class, but it still is passable through the use of off-class skills, you can even combine them a bit. Oh, and in the remake you can't play magical maze (or whatever it's called, I kinda forgot) unless you started as a wizard.

I've never tried switching from thief or wizard to paladin in QfG2 and I'm a bit curious as to how it would work. Does the hero gain the ability to wield a sword ? What happens when he faces class-dependent events ?

Sorry to disappoint you, but the paladin's previous profession makes no difference, meaning that he gets the shield, he starts using it in combination with the sword and he gets paladin-specific events instead of the wizard & thief specific ones, so no flashy spalls & faerie staffs for you - enjoy kissing the rusalka & stuff

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's unfair :(

But i think that the thief sign is preserved somehow. At least, i have the idea it is. In 4? Maybe not 3.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I think it's tied to having Picklock and/or Sneak, or at least that was the impression I was left with from my last playthrough.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
QFG3 and QFG2 had a hidden skill that was only "revealed" in the next game.

To wit:
qfg 2 had communication (would be cool if this was actually hidden in qfg1) and honor
qfg 3 had acrobatics learnable on in-game by the thief (or someone with the thief sign if it's possible to multiclass around it)

Question is this: did qfg4 had a learnable hidden skill ingame; ie: not from the chargen or char import? (or not hidden, but just learnable).

Looking at qfg5 a obvious candidate is pickpocketing. I think in a previous thread someone mentioned that it was possible to learn climbing from the manuals at the guild if you hadn't picked it up for some reason yet.

I don't know myself because i haven't played these in years and fantasy and fact are getting muddled.

Norfleet

So anybody with Magic skill can become a Wizard?
Yup. You'll also need the appropriate Wizard spells, though, which only a wizard, or an import, would have, or you won't be able to succeed.

He's not entirely true on this one - yeah, anyone with magic skill can become a wizard and, if your thieving skills are up to task, you can do all the robberies available, but that special event for EOF joining just never happens if you're not a fighter.
Don't think I've ever seen that event, fighter or otherwise, but the game does tend to be pretty hectic, so perhaps I missed it. You sure it's based solely on being a fighter, and not merely having asked about the right stuff and the possession and use of a sword?

Endgame also varies a bit depending on your starting class, but it still is passable through the use of off-class skills, you can even combine them a bit.
Are you certain it's based on your class, and not the specific path or skills you have? I rechecked a walkthrough of it, and the "Thief" ending seems much more familiar to me, even though I don't recall playing as an official thief, but always have thief skills.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the paladin's previous profession makes no difference, meaning that he gets the shield, he starts using it in combination with the sword and he gets paladin-specific events instead of the wizard & thief specific ones
None of those events you describe are part of QFG2, though. The class-specific lockins don't really start until 3, where your entry class actually shuts out options. Overall, though, the series definitely gets more class-centric as it goes on: In 1, your class didn't matter at all, not in the slightest, except insofar as it determined your abilities and equipment, in 2, it seems mostly the same way, but by 3, it is definitely starting to block you in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't think I've ever seen that event, fighter or otherwise, but the game does tend to be pretty hectic, so perhaps I missed it. You sure it's based solely on being a fighter, and not merely having asked about the right stuff and the possession and use of a sword?

Hectic? At that point it's actually pretty boring. You have nothing to do but sleep in the inn and wait for events.

I think in a previous thread someone mentioned that it was possible to learn climbing from the manuals at the guild if you hadn't picked it up for some reason yet.

That was me. I'm pretty sure only the Fighter could learn it, not the Mage

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Infuriating lack of details about this multiclass clusterfuck.

For instance, getting the sword as a non-fighter in QFG1 - i'm pretty sure it was possible but i just tried in both and the seller doesn't sell them. Or at least doesn't sell them at the beginning of the game. Tried dropping daggers too.
Could be it's only on qfg2
In qfg1 ega, the fighter with magic can cast in combat by dropping the shield (remake is inferior here).

btw Jaesun, there is something freaky about the money that is transfered between games. I think it might be 'standardized', unlike the pills and stuff. I tend to put all my money into pills/food before the endgame.

I really wish they'd kept the pure skill based approach but kept the only the 'ways to acquire' new skills ingame not on chargen. They could still use skill tests to check if a char obeys the 'wizard' archetype or whatever. Really just because some events are exclusive to a archetype and a char can have multiple ones, just random it or let the player choose (like FO).

Games were probably nightmarish to test.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ugh. This retarded city maze in QFGII is going to make me ragequit. Though its just a matter of time before I figure it out.

I did finish a fighter and thief in QFGI. The thief was fun, in that you could avoid combat (at higher sneak levels). The mage is kind of bleh so early on. As in you are so poor and can barely handle a fight. Granted near the end I'm sure you will end up a total bad ass.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
ugh. This retarded city maze in QFGII is going to make me ragequit. Though its just a matter of time before I figure it out.

It's not a maze if they give you a map :obviously:

I couldn't buy the map as when you start you have no money (dinars). I started running around trying to find the %$#@#$% Money Changer so I could buy one.

:lol: And this is why I hate the game so much.

It's an idiot filter, right at the beginning of the game :smug:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wasn't it a copy protection of sort?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

It's not a maze if they give you a map :obviously:

I couldn't buy the map as when you start you have no money (dinars). I started running around trying to find the %$#@#$% Money Changer so I could buy one.

Ah yes. You did ask for directions, right?

Yes, I know the street name they are on, but that really isn't helping much. Oh well. I'll come back to this after finishing my mage. Just found a spell in a certain resting place <3 That purchase of Open was sure worth the 30 silver.

EDIT: :oops: Maybe I should RTFM some day....

Erebus

Arcane
ugh. This retarded city maze in QFGII is going to make me ragequit.

Yeah, even the simplified version in the remake is a pain in the ass because it takes forever to get anywhere. The map really saves a lot of time.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
While the in-game map is certainly helpful due to fast-travel, non-retards were supposed to follow the map provided in the game's manual to reach the moneychanger before they died of dehydration.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Can I assume the Zap Spell in QFGI lasts until combat ends? As in you need to basically cast it before combat each time.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Question about the Fighter (in QFGI). Since the default Fighter has no climb skill, can you solve the "seed" quest with only his default skills that are given? Also without climb, I assume you also cannot meet the Hermit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom