Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage on.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Rage sounds like it's going to be good clean fun. I hope they get the shooting mechanics right and it's not too dumbed down.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
1. Is there a cover mechanic in this game?
2. Is there health regen?
3. Does it have linear progression through levels or is it a STALKEResque questsandbox?

MetalCraze

Arcane
shihonage said:
Levels, as in, you can go in different directions, explore vast open spaces and claustrophobic installations alike.

Wow nobody has done it before in GTA3, GTA VC, GTA SA, GTA4, True Crime, Red Faction 2, Prototype, Hulk, Just Cause, Just Cause 2, The Elder Scrolls, Failout 3/NV, Stalker COP.

Truly id innovates by bringing us Failout 3 without numbers but quest compass will make sure that your brain won't hurt when "exploring"

It is a shooter at the core, not "Diablo FPS" like Borderlands.

That's why it has a health regen, retarded minigames and auto-aim.

Lol you defend this piece of shit while bashing Borderlands. Hypocrisy to da max

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Trash said:
Meh. When you call everything a piece of shit the impact of said phrase tends to diminish. Time for a new one?

Exactly. All I do is chuckle at skyway's "game is/will be shit" posts these days. They mean absolutely nothing.

OT: That trailer was amazing, one of the best I've seen in a while. Love the aesthetics, hope they're maintained in the actual game. If nothing else, id usually get the core mechanics of a shooter right (i.e. the gun-play itself), which is all I really look for in an FPS. Just hope the 'innovashun' doesn't get in the way of that.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Still going to buy this game, despite health regen and vehicle autoaim. Someone will mod that out for me.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Menckenstein said:
Still going to buy this game, despite health regen and vehicle autoaim. Someone will mod that out for me.
Modders will fix it :M

Auto-aiming and health regen sounds like massive fail for ID. Game is doomed.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
AlaCarcuss said:
Trash said:
Meh. When you call everything a piece of shit the impact of said phrase tends to diminish. Time for a new one?

Exactly. All I do is chuckle at skyway's "game is/will be shit" posts these days. They mean absolutely nothing
Skyway calls everything shit, which means he'll be correct about 90% of the time.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
MetalCraze said:
That's why it has a health regen, retarded minigames and auto-aim.

Lol you defend this piece of shit while bashing Borderlands. Hypocrisy to da max

Erm. It has less autoaim on consoles than other FPS, and it doesn't have any on PC. It does have health regen and minigames. As to the retardation factor of their implementation, we'll see.

Roderick

Savant
i'm not sure but i think i read something about that the health regen can be disabled or something like that.probably not, but can anyone confirm?

i really hope it can be played without health regen

baronjohn

Cipher
Roderick said:
i'm not sure but i think i read something about that the health regen can be disabled or something like that.probably not, but can anyone confirm?

Health regen enforces a totally different gameplay design. You can't just turn it off without breaking the game.

Roderick

Savant
baronjohn said:
Roderick said:

Health regen enforces a totally different gameplay design. You can't just turn it off without breaking the game.

yeah i get that. that's why i doubt that is possible in this game. unless people mod it to play without health regen. that would be nice

MapMan

Arcane
Watch the keynote. He says how frustrating it is when they have to lower poly of all their models, downsample textures and cover everything by post processing. You turn off post processing and suddenly everythings sharp and colorful. Well no shit, but we have to play games that look almost black and white, shades of fucking grey. When carmack speaks you can clearly see he hasnt changed THAT much but he has to do what he has to do.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Trash said:
skyway's opinion is only informational when he says he likes something, much like vd's only is when he goes full skyway on an rpg.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I watched Carmack's keynote from start to finish. I hate to admit it, but indeed he sounds like the Carmack of old.

Most of that audience was just waiting for him to say something human-relatable, which happened about twice in the 90-minute speech.

With all the flaws of the Rage's engine, I have to wonder whether the "advantages" will visibly outweigh them.

Maybe the whole idea of the engine is about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, for the purpose of HAVING IT DONE, i.e. Carmack's autistic obsession with algorithms, that is both his blessing and curse.

Man, I can see it already - PS3 reviews will be complaining about disc loading times, and XBOX360 reviews will complain about 22gig installation.

With good cause.

Does the end result really justify the means? Will it look THAT DIFFERENT from a traditionally textured environment?

Nonetheless, I still hope the gameplay renders these issues mostly irrelevant.

xemous

Arcane
LOL death mini game and health recharge

what the fuck id, i hope theres an option to turn off the auto resurrect option, jesus.

Roderick said:
baronjohn said:
Roderick said:

yeah i get that. that's why i doubt that is possible in this game. unless people mod it to play without health regen. that would be nice

Maybe a mod to make enemies drop health kits randomly? I dunno.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
MapMan said:
http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,115094,10131972,Rage__godzina_grania_i_jestem_pewien__ze_bedzie_hit.html?bo=1

Of all the things guess what they bash? The graphics. Shitty, blurry textures, no anti aliasing... Outrageous! :smug:

Interesting points are raised in that article. You complete a mission and get confronted by several enemies with superior weapons. You kill all of them and your reward is a lesser weapon than what they carried. And you cannot take weapons off corpses. As the writer says, "what nonsense".

Also, headshots don't instakill.

And this version of Rage is all washed out compared to another version he played at E3 earlier.

Overall he believes it will be a good, or at least, satisfying game. And he really likes how the weapons feel.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Some fag on Something Awful said:
I'm around 2 hours and 15 mins into the game, and so far I am impressed, very impressed. I have always been a huge fan of Carmack though, to me the guy is a genius.

Anyway, to answer your questions, the combat has been in the middle so far. Not slow, but not frantic either. They seem to be throwing a good mix of guys that stay at range and pick at you and guys that are melee/shotgun that absolutely close in on you and try to facerape you. The guys that close in are pretty quick and good at it, most of them do NOT just run in a straight line waiting to get ripped down. They zig zag left and right and depending on who you are fighting, they vault off walls and use pipes above them to swing forward, etc. It's pretty insane.

The environments are stunning. There is a noticeable texture pop in, but I don't think there is ANY way to avoid it with how ambitious Rage is. Even with the pop in, the game looks gorgeous for being on a console. Of course it will not compete with high end PC's at all, but that's to be expected. Carmack is an engine designing genius and the game looks to me, like the best looking game the 360 has ever seen. So far it's been running at a steady framerate with no noticeable slowdowns. The world is stunning and great to just sit there and look around.

As far as the interface, it's clean and functional. You have your standard minimap in the upper right, gun/gun selection in the bottom right (right bumper), ammo selection on the bottom left(right bumper), defibulator charge in the bottom left next to ammo. Hitting the back button will bring up the standard interfaces you have seen before for inventory, quests/journal, engineering and arsenal/armory which outlines what guns you have, what ammo you have for those guns and what armor you have. Overall it's all very easy to work with and works very well. It feels pretty RPGish actually in that sense.

It is a save anywhere system, which I am thankful for. The game actually does not auto-save very often that I have seen. It will save when you transition from outdoor to indoors and the reverse. but that's all I've seen so far. If there is one piece of advice I can give, it is to SAVE OFTEN, because if you die and your last save is the auto-save when you entered some bandit hideout 30 mins ago, then you are screwed. The load times seem fine to me, I installed Disc 1 to my HDD and it takes about 10 seconds to load an area I am going to and the same to load the Wasteland when I leave. You don't do a ton of that though, so far at least it's been pretty minimal.

Some of the cool things I've noticed so far is that for one, some guys wear helmets. A headshot will pop the helmet off violently and knock them down. The way the game handles guys getting shot and dying is pretty damn cool. Many of the melee guys that charge you, if you kill them while they are still coming at you, will hold their chest and stagger with continuing forward momentum for at least a few feet more, dropping their weapon in the process. They will then fall forward dead after staggering. It may seem like such a small thing, but it's an awesome touch and a nice change from the standard "shoot them and they just fall down" formula. Other guys you will shoot a few times and they then make some comment about being all fucked up, they start to crawl away or for cover while shooting at you from the ground, that's another very cool touch.

I can already see the card game getting me horribly addicted. I haven't even played it yet, but I have been collecting cards. I am already feeling that MtG like pull to get all the cards, assemble and awesome deck and whoop up on unsuspecting wasteland peoples.

While the game may not look very unique or new from the commercials and videos, it really does feel new. They seemed to really go out of their way to not just spit out some clone of what modern shooters are. So far it feels like a cross between Fallout and Quake but with vast improvements over either of those. Even though they are avoiding the RPG tag, and I do agree it is absolutely not an RPG, there are elements that very much feel like an RPG. Going through the beginning 2 settlements and talking to people, gathering schematics and parts so that you can build shit using engineering, the fact that you even have an inventory screen and a quest log. While none of these are "new", in this combination they feel really fresh.

The game feels immense. I don't know what the length of the game is, but it truly feels massive. It's 2 DVDs for the campaign with a 3rd DVD for multiplayer. I do know from interviews that there is a TON of side shit that you can do or just ignore. I believe I read that there is something like 26 different race circuits you can join to do vehicle racing, yet only 2 are required for the story. Which reminds me, so far I have only gotten to drive an ATV, but the driving feels smooth and responsive. It is a LOT of fun to just tear ass across the wasteland on my ATV with an afterburner on it. There's jumps and shit to mess with all around.

Since I am only in the beginning, it has been very linear so far. Story driven with a few side quests that I could have ignored. From what I understand, it will open up a bit later on, but it is not a fully open world game. There is always guidance and the main story with the side stuff supporting it. Whether it will feel incredibly linear or not, I don't know yet. It's too early to tell. I do know that I am definitely enjoying the shit out of it so far though.

I'm going to go back to playing, I can post more impressions later or tomorrow. If you guys have any other questions, ask away, I am happy to help anyone who is deciding whether or not to pick the game up.

Sounds pretty dandy, tho from what little gameplay I've seen the areas seem very linear and constricted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom