Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage on.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9089063
Okay said:
Console Parity -- PC owners will get the best looking version of Rage, but not by much. The 360 and PS3 versions run just as well and look almost as good. If you ran the two versions side by side, only slightly muddier textures and a bit of aliasing would give away the consoles. The game was even designed with consoles in mind. PC QA testers on the game use a control pad simply because that's how it was meant to be played.

:thumbsup:

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Excidium said:
Okay said:
Console Parity -- PC owners will get the best looking version of Rage, but not by much. The 360 and PS3 versions run just as well and look almost as good. If you ran the two versions side by side, only slightly muddier textures and a bit of aliasing would give away the consoles. The game was even designed with consoles in mind. PC QA testers on the game use a control pad simply because that's how it was meant to be played.

:what:

That's considered a good thing now?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
They seemed to really go out of their way to not just spit out some clone of what modern shooters are. So far it feels like a cross between Fallout and Quake

Thank you Bethesda.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OH no and i have already pre-order OH NOES!.

Oh wait no i did not that was Dark Soul. PHEW!.

Deleted member 7219

I pre-ordered back when they were selling the game cheap if you bought the Doom/Quake pack too. Well, I wanted to play those games again so I thought why not. Problem is pre-loading on Steam seems to be messed up right now, I pre-loaded about 25% of it last night then paused it, now I can't get it to resume.

Shannow

Waster of Time
M4BE1R0 said:
Excidium said:
Okay said:

:what:

That's considered a good thing now?
Being open about it is a good thing. Means people with taste don't have bother with it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They seemed to really go out of their way to not just spit out some clone of what modern shooters are. So far it feels like a cross between Fallout and Quake

When you read stuff like this you know the game is 100% consolized shit that is no different from other consolized shit.

Yes I can see poor id risking their lives as they heroically try not to make a console shooter for consoles - trying their best, a task so hard, but they fight till the end, going out of their way during countless sleepless nights fighting health regens and gamepads trying to make it into Rage.

What the fuck. If you don't want to make a console shiter you don't "go out of your way", you just don't make a console shiter.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
MetalCraze said:
What the fuck. If you don't want to make a console shiter you don't "go out of your way", you just don't make a console shiter.

But then you don't get console monies. :(

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well on the other hand you can make a console shiter for X360 and PS3 but make your PR department constantly shit on consoles and say how cool PCs are - that way PCattle will gladly bring you monies as well.

Works for DICE, will work for id.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Turisas said:
Some fag on Something Awful said:
I'm around 2 hours and 15 mins into the game, and so far I am impressed, very impressed. I have always been a huge fan of Carmack though, to me the guy is a genius.

Anyway, to answer your questions, the combat has been in the middle so far. Not slow, but not frantic either. They seem to be throwing a good mix of guys that stay at range and pick at you and guys that are melee/shotgun that absolutely close in on you and try to facerape you. The guys that close in are pretty quick and good at it, most of them do NOT just run in a straight line waiting to get ripped down. They zig zag left and right and depending on who you are fighting, they vault off walls and use pipes above them to swing forward, etc. It's pretty insane.

The environments are stunning. There is a noticeable texture pop in, but I don't think there is ANY way to avoid it with how ambitious Rage is. Even with the pop in, the game looks gorgeous for being on a console. Of course it will not compete with high end PC's at all, but that's to be expected. Carmack is an engine designing genius and the game looks to me, like the best looking game the 360 has ever seen. So far it's been running at a steady framerate with no noticeable slowdowns. The world is stunning and great to just sit there and look around.

As far as the interface, it's clean and functional. You have your standard minimap in the upper right, gun/gun selection in the bottom right (right bumper), ammo selection on the bottom left(right bumper), defibulator charge in the bottom left next to ammo. Hitting the back button will bring up the standard interfaces you have seen before for inventory, quests/journal, engineering and arsenal/armory which outlines what guns you have, what ammo you have for those guns and what armor you have. Overall it's all very easy to work with and works very well. It feels pretty RPGish actually in that sense.

It is a save anywhere system, which I am thankful for. The game actually does not auto-save very often that I have seen. It will save when you transition from outdoor to indoors and the reverse. but that's all I've seen so far. If there is one piece of advice I can give, it is to SAVE OFTEN, because if you die and your last save is the auto-save when you entered some bandit hideout 30 mins ago, then you are screwed. The load times seem fine to me, I installed Disc 1 to my HDD and it takes about 10 seconds to load an area I am going to and the same to load the Wasteland when I leave. You don't do a ton of that though, so far at least it's been pretty minimal.

Some of the cool things I've noticed so far is that for one, some guys wear helmets. A headshot will pop the helmet off violently and knock them down. The way the game handles guys getting shot and dying is pretty damn cool. Many of the melee guys that charge you, if you kill them while they are still coming at you, will hold their chest and stagger with continuing forward momentum for at least a few feet more, dropping their weapon in the process. They will then fall forward dead after staggering. It may seem like such a small thing, but it's an awesome touch and a nice change from the standard "shoot them and they just fall down" formula. Other guys you will shoot a few times and they then make some comment about being all fucked up, they start to crawl away or for cover while shooting at you from the ground, that's another very cool touch.

I can already see the card game getting me horribly addicted. I haven't even played it yet, but I have been collecting cards. I am already feeling that MtG like pull to get all the cards, assemble and awesome deck and whoop up on unsuspecting wasteland peoples.

While the game may not look very unique or new from the commercials and videos, it really does feel new. They seemed to really go out of their way to not just spit out some clone of what modern shooters are. So far it feels like a cross between Fallout and Quake but with vast improvements over either of those. Even though they are avoiding the RPG tag, and I do agree it is absolutely not an RPG, there are elements that very much feel like an RPG. Going through the beginning 2 settlements and talking to people, gathering schematics and parts so that you can build shit using engineering, the fact that you even have an inventory screen and a quest log. While none of these are "new", in this combination they feel really fresh.

The game feels immense. I don't know what the length of the game is, but it truly feels massive. It's 2 DVDs for the campaign with a 3rd DVD for multiplayer. I do know from interviews that there is a TON of side shit that you can do or just ignore. I believe I read that there is something like 26 different race circuits you can join to do vehicle racing, yet only 2 are required for the story. Which reminds me, so far I have only gotten to drive an ATV, but the driving feels smooth and responsive. It is a LOT of fun to just tear ass across the wasteland on my ATV with an afterburner on it. There's jumps and shit to mess with all around.

Since I am only in the beginning, it has been very linear so far. Story driven with a few side quests that I could have ignored. From what I understand, it will open up a bit later on, but it is not a fully open world game. There is always guidance and the main story with the side stuff supporting it. Whether it will feel incredibly linear or not, I don't know yet. It's too early to tell. I do know that I am definitely enjoying the shit out of it so far though.

I'm going to go back to playing, I can post more impressions later or tomorrow. If you guys have any other questions, ask away, I am happy to help anyone who is deciding whether or not to pick the game up.

Sounds pretty dandy, tho from what little gameplay I've seen the areas seem very linear and constricted.

An FPS that is being described as 'immense'? That's novel.

Some of the cool things I've noticed so far is that for one, some guys wear helmets. A headshot will pop the helmet off violently and knock them down.
This thing was in RtCW and ET. It was fun to knock them off with Stan.
So does this gaem has health regen?

baronjohn

Cipher
I don't think Microshit would let you publish a console game without health regen.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You wanted to say EA + Bethesda?

Of course it has health regen. It's a console shiter. I would be greatly surprised if a console shiter didn't have it - that would mean it's one step closer to becoming a shooter.

MCA
I lament the fact that the game looked 10x better before Bethesda bought ID but the game still looks good to me. I especially like the 80s post-apoc/sci-fi vibes that's different from the :grimdark: :grittymature: :tryingTooHard: post-apoc games craze of the late. And it's a huge game design leap for ID.

Speaking of which, you can buy the so called "Anarchy Edition" of the game for the regular price at TheHut.com and both are on offer for $40 atm (as opposed to $60).

http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/p ... 87474.html

http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/p ... 07528.html

It's retarded that they had to make an "Anarchy Edition" for just 4 fucking in-game items but if you're gonna get the game, you might as well get that one since it's the same price.

Plus, the Anarchy Edition has the better box art.

Ads are over.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only two racing missions are necessary for the main storyline? Why are ANY necessary? Why is there even racing in an FPS? Derp.

Multi-headed Cow

villain of the story said:
I lament the fact that the game looked 10x better before Bethesda bought ID but the game still looks good to me. I especially like the 80s post-apoc/sci-fi vibes that's different from the :grimdark: :grittymature: :tryingTooHard: post-apoc games craze of the late. And it's a huge game design leap for ID.

Speaking of which, you can buy the so called "Anarchy Edition" of the game for the regular price at TheHut.com and both are on offer for $40 atm (as opposed to $60).

http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/p ... 87474.html

http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/p ... 07528.html

It's retarded that they had to make an "Anarchy Edition" for just 4 fucking in-game items but if you're gonna get the game, you might as well get that one since it's the same price.

Plus, the Anarchy Edition has the better box art.

Ads are over.
$39 and seemingly ships to Freedomland for free, eh... And activates on Steam, eh...

:M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I sent my buddy that link, he's checking it out. I can't believe they have free international shipping, though. Is that confirmed?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I especially like the 80s post-apoc/sci-fi vibes that's different from the :grimdark: :grittymature: :tryingTooHard: post-apoc games craze of the late.

:lol:

Yes brown-grey gamma and flashy body armor without any logical functions are very 80s and totally not like every other "sci fi" shit coming out every year now

MetalCraze said:
You wanted to say EA + Bethesda?

Of course it has health regen. It's a console shiter. I would be greatly surprised if a console shiter didn't have it - that would mean it's one step closer to becoming a shooter.

Resistance 3 sticks to med-packs, but otherwise I can't think of many.

Deleted member 7219

Excidium said:
That youtube comment. :lol:

Looks worth a pirate, I'm a sucker for PA settings of any sort.

It is attitudes like that which killed PC gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom