Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

thesecret1

Arcane
You at the very least get the 5 turns that Kou is missing, don't you?
That's actually shortly before the route actually starts. You get offered a purple event that, if your take it, will start Isoroku route

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oh and on a related note, has anyone tried the Darkness Hero Rance mod? Is it any good?
I gave it a very quick try at some point, but I'm not really a fan of the free for all mode of sengoku. It looked pretty cool otherwise.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have beaten every one of the routes and even tried some of the free style play that removes the plot and allows you to play one of the other clans. I never did try the Kichikuou mod, though...

I like Kenshin more than Isoroku, but I enjoyed the challenge and the ending of the Isoroku route more than the Kenshin one. The Ran route is also decent, but not my favorite. Let's hand it to Alicesoft, though. Most companies would have made the routes into monetized DLCs, but Alicesoft did the old school thing and included the additions into the core game.
:love:

I love this game so much that I purchased the boxed edition from MangaGamer. I'm on the fence about whether to buy the boxed version of Rance Quest Magnum, though.

Here's a random question... what other characters do you wish had their own routes in Sengoku Rance? I could have used more Senhime.

thesecret1

Arcane
Here's a random question... what other characters do you wish had their own routes in Sengoku Rance? I could have used more Senhime.
Suzume. She's such a fun character, I laugh practically every time there's any kind of scene with her. Hands down my fav character from Sengoku.

Suzume is great but she's not really main character material IMO.

Senhime does seem like another obvious route. Yuzumi too.

Most of the rest of the good girls are part of a pair or triplet so wouldn't really work for their own route.

Maybe a route for Magic related to invading JAPAN and taking it over for a foreign power? Would be a bit out of character though.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Oh and on a related note, has anyone tried the Darkness Hero Rance mod? Is it any good?
It adds a bunch of stuff to FFA mode to make it a lot more interesting than standard but it does feel like without an event progression, the Sengoku style loses a lot.

Also what's the actual "canon" timeline of Sengoku? I know it's supposed to be the True route, but since Rance made references to Isoroku's kid in Magnum, it's obviously not that simple.
Alicesoft always mixes and matches whatever the hell they like so as long as an event doesn't blatantly contradict the True Route (Nobunaga is still very dead), the only way to know what is "canon" is if a plot element shows up in later games.

(The most obscure "canon" factoid is that Inukai is recruited using the secret method rather than dying - not in any future games, mind you, just a short story posted on Alicesoft blog at some point where Suzume pays him a visit.)

Jason Liang

Arcane
Probably
1494343346120.png

Since she doesn't return in any of the later games.

Fixed that one for you.

Didn't know we were allowed to add new characters in this thought experiment. I agree though. A route where Rance just got tired of being the ruler and let Lia take over would make sense, and all the other factions would attack you for it.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Fixed that one for you.

Didn't know we were allowed to add new characters in this thought experiment. I agree though. A route where Rance just got tired of being the ruler and let Lia take over would make sense, and all the other factions would attack you for it.
Would be easy to implement too. 4th reinforcement from Leazas is Rick, then if you call for Magic, Lia herself arrives the next SotE (leaving Maris to run Leazas).
She also only shows up in noncanon routes, so is she even a canonically existing character?
She's mentioned, so yes.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fixed that one for you.

Yeah, I cheated :M. I couldn't really think of anything else to add. Maybe a Natori/Fuuka route where you end up taming Orochi and using it to lay waste to your enemies?
She's mentioned, so yes.
You may be right.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have downloaded it and I am currently playing it. It's decent in so far as Rance FFA is, so it's not a bad mod. There are some interesting features like creating "custom characters" and a lot of Alicesoft characters.

In the end though it's just the free for all mode of rance with different Pictures, so if you just like the game play, do not mind imbalanced units then you can have some fun with it.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Rance X collab with what looks like a gacha game, Orphans Order ~

Kind of interesting that non-Eroge properties are ok with a Rance collab.
I kind of wish they had the balls to go with Medusa instead of Warg or Satella.

Hm. I suppose if this is supposed to be post Rance X adventures, then Satella/ Warg/ Hornet is reasonable.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Rance X collab with what looks like a gacha game, Orphans Order ~

Kind of interesting that non-Eroge properties are ok with a Rance collab.
I kind of wish they had the balls to go with Medusa instead of Warg or Satella.

They're probably only ok with it because they went for fairly reasonable characters and not total psychos.
(yes, I close my eyes during some of the Medusa scenes in Rance X)

Also Satella is the worst, and alicesoft are kinda bad for milking rance with all these cameos instead of making 04.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I learned something new about Kazemaru today!

I wonder how much cool stuff in sengoku I'm missing because the english version doesn't show kanjis and because I don't know anything about the sengoku era.
alicesoft are kinda bad for milking rance with all these cameos instead of making 04
Stop being a crybaby and play the old game like an adult
I started going through 04 but it's just so tedious to move around, fight or even just access the inventory. The art style has grown on me, even if I still vastly prefer the later style.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I watched his Kojika video and learned that I've never seen the "forehead girls" event (probably because I always dismiss Ai before recruiting Kojika) :negative:

Longes

Augur
Another Halloween coming up and no Rance release in sight.

怠惰外人
And Steiner blew his deadlines for X, because he's got a job at a real company and doesn't need to freelance for MangaGamer anymore. He was supposed to finish translation in August, but his last estimate is "maybe December"

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Another Halloween coming up and no Rance release in sight.

怠惰外人
And Steiner blew his deadlines for X, because he's got a job at a real company and doesn't need to freelance for MangaGamer anymore. He was supposed to finish translation in August, but his last estimate is "maybe December"
Iirc he always said he was aiming for end of 2022? But that it was not a promise.

IX is apparently in "post beta scripting" which sounds like mangagamer for "we don't feel like releasing it this year".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom