Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
That Platinum Game is fucking hardcore you pick up trash from the floor and put it in the bin. Damn son.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
it was a good game but it was absolutely ugly as sin. Link to the Past for the Gameboy advance was truly the best Zelda and I enjoyed it far more than Ocarina of Time

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Demon X Machina has a demo for a limited time in the Nintendo eshop as well. I highly recommend anyone who is into mecha or Armored Core games to try it out. I did it and it was really good.

Machocruz

Arcane
LA remake looks like it was made out of some cheap children's playset. Nintendo, Retro games excluded, have no eye for 3D graphics.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
The Gameboy original version looked garbage tbh, I think you are confusing it with A Link to the Past which looked amazing

it was a good game but it was absolutely ugly as sin. Link to the Past for the Gameboy advance was truly the best Zelda and I enjoyed it far more than Ocarina of Time
You have absolutely terrible taste in games. Quite possibly worse than my taste in FPS', if the Codex is to be believed.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I apologise for nothing, A Link to the Past was honestly just that amazing IMO

...also the Nintendo 64 was legitimately designed for people with 3 hands and I just didn't have as much fun running around and doing stuff in Ocarina. Still a great game.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I apologise for nothing, A Link to the Past was honestly just that amazing IMO
Yeah, A Link to the Past was amazing. Not the GBA port. That was irritating cash-grab horseshit.
...also the Nintendo 64 was legitimately designed for people with 3 hands...
I refuse to believe you aren't leaving out stale bait. There is no way this isn't a ruse cruise.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
idk why people bitch and whine about ports when A Link to the Past SNES was literally released before I was born, how the hell am I supposed to play it on a console that wasn't even on sale when I was alive

Ridiculous gatekeeping

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
idk why people bitch and whine about ports when A Link to the Past SNES was literally released before I was born, how the hell am I supposed to play it on a console that wasn't even on sale when I was alive

Ridiculous gatekeeping
It's called emulation. You're welcome.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
The snes version of A Link to the Past is better, now Minish Cap for gba is gold, both gameplay and graphics.
I think I'd actually give real money to know the unfiltered story behind Minish Cap's development. I get a strong feeling something went horribly wrong during it. The game is good enough, but you get the same vibe with it that you get with Wind Waker; lots of unfulfilled potential with a hint of "...Weren't you going somewhere else with this?".

deuxhero

Arcane
Interestingly the GBA port of Link to the Past is such a direct port the massive bug that resulted from holding left and right when going up stairs is still in it. I think it's actually be possible to trigger it on official hardware in this version too since the Game Boy player can go one way on analog stick and another on dpad.

Viata

Arcane
The snes version of A Link to the Past is better, now Minish Cap for gba is gold, both gameplay and graphics.
I think I'd actually give real money to know the unfiltered story behind Minish Cap's development. I get a strong feeling something went horribly wrong during it. The game is good enough, but you get the same vibe with it that you get with Wind Waker; lots of unfulfilled potential with a hint of "...Weren't you going somewhere else with this?".
I think it's more because of Capcom doing it. Oracle of Seasons/Age was the only Zelda games they did(which are 2 of the best Zelda games) and this was their first "big" Zelda game, if it was shorter you probably wouldn't think that. I think Zelda games should be short, anyway.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I think it's more because of Capcom doing it.
See, I thought the Oracle games were better than Nintendo's own efforts in that area (Link's Awakening), so I'm not so sure the answer is as simple "Nintendo didn't make it.". It's just something about the disconnect between the Oracles and their gameplay and Minish Cap and its gameplay (the two games 'feel' a lot more different than you'd assume they would be, with both being worked on by Capcom-Flagship). Then there's the differences between the EURO and NA/JAP versions, which are drastic enough to lead those crazy cats at TCRF to speculate the European version may be based on an entirely earlier build of the game (go look up some of what was changed/fixed between releases, it was just enough to raise my eyebrow and make me think "Surely you would have caught that in QA...?"). A lot of the graphics assets actually seem split off of, rather than derived from, Wind Waker work, as if Capcom had some sort of trouble in that department. Take a good hard look next time you play; especially the characters seem like modified mid-dev Windwaker NPCs, rendered to pixel art and touched up before the Flagship team proper gave them each a twist so it wouldn't be too noticeable. Then there's all the delightful leftover bits that Cutting Room Floor found- less than Wind Waker, yeah, but when you adjust for Minish's smaller scope the ratios become much closer (the reason I keep referencing Wind Waker is that we pretty much know for a fact that it had troubled development, so much so that they nearly missed their deadline and had to cut something like 3 dungeons and a ton of side-quests).

I dunno, man...It's just a feeling. But it's amplified when I go to look up details about its dev cycle and find fuck-all compared to the other Zeldas. Actually, I think even the Oracle series before it has more known dev lore. I get that Jap Studios are notoriously tight-lipped but, uh....Really makes ya think, and all that jazz.

Viata

Arcane
Well, I never played Minish Cap after I finished Wind Waker, so I may do that. As for differences in between releases, I didn't know about that. Thanks.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hey, Experience Inc.'s horror adventure Death Mark is coming to PC too:

ss_fddd27d543456607124855d0d85f4e6185a825be.600x338.jpg
ss_8bd517184f9cca50a6d2f4b13ce7ccf457e39bbd.600x338.jpg

ex0rqf4.jpg

... for the new dungeon crawlers also coming to PC?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom