Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not Final Fantasy Not Versus XIII

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
QUESTER OSAKA released in early access with a small sale for adopters. It's in Japanese currently, but an English patch is scheduled for later. It should be in EA for about two months according to the dev team.

911 Jumper

Educated
Miyazaki says there’s a ‘high possibility’ he delegates directing for future Souls games
Elden Ring and Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki has said that there’s “a high possibility,” that he would delegate the role of director on future Souls games.

Speaking to IGN, Miyazaki said there “is a high possibility that we would delegate the responsibility of director to those other Souls-ish games going forward.”

He continued “I think it’s very likely that we’ll see new directors going forward. And I think if we do that, I’d like to step away from that supervisory role and give them full direction and full control over those projects.

“I think really this is the best way and the easiest way for them to flourish within that environment and with those new projects.”

So far, the only original Souls project that Miyazaki hasn’t directed is Dark Souls 2. While Dark Souls 2 was met with mixed reaction from players, Miyazaki looks back on it fondly.

“In regards to Dark Souls 2, I actually personally think this was a really great project for us, and I think without it, we wouldn’t have had a lot of the connections and a lot of the ideas that went forward and carried the rest of the series.”

Dark Souls 2 implemented semi-open world sections that would form the basis for much of the level design in FromSoftware‘s seminal Elden Ring.

“We were able to have that different impetus and have those different ideas and make those different connections that we otherwise might not have had,” he concluded.
Source: VGC

911 Jumper

Educated
Final Fantasy music legend Nobuo Uematsu doesn’t think he’ll ever compose a whole game again
Asked if he ever felt that one day nostalgia could take over and convince him to write an entire soundtrack for a game again as opposed to just a main theme, Uematsu replied that he didn’t see it happening.

“As far as Final Fantasy is concerned, I’m still involved by writing the main themes for the games,” he explained. “But I don’t think I’ll compose music for a whole game again.
“You would have to give it full throttle for two or three years. And I don’t think I have the physical and mental strength to do it anymore.

“I think I’d rather use the time I have left to work on other projects that I love. Such as compositions like Merregnon or my band Uematsu Nobuo conTIKI .”
Uematsu’s last full game soundtrack was Fantasian, the Apple Arcade exclusive RPG written and produced by his long-time creative partner and Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi.

In an interview in 2021 to promote the game, Sakaguchi said he felt that Fantasian could be Uematsu’s last soundtrack.

“Before we approached him to work on Fantasian, he was going through some health issues, and there were concerns if he was going to be able to compose everything or if was it even possible for him to work on this,” Sakaguchi said at the time.

The composer ultimately pulled through to compose Fantasian’s entire 60-piece orchestrated soundtrack, the director said, adding that it may prove to be an important milestone.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reynatis Announced for PlayStation and Switch; July 2024 Release (in Japan)
During the Japanese broadcast of the Nintendo Direct Partners Showcase, developer Furyu announced a brand-new action RPG, titled Reynatis. The game will be releasing on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC via Steam on July 25th, 2024. As of the time of writing, it is unknown whether the game will come west.

Reynatis takes place in modern-day Tokyo, Shibuya. There, magicians, who are feared by the people because of their great power, are active. Marin Kirizumi, a young boy, goes to Shibuya in search of freedom. Sari Nishijima, a magician in charge of the police, patrols Shibuya, believing in justice. When these two protagonists from different backgrounds meet, the story begins to unfold. Reynatis allows players to switch between two modes: Supression and Release. Suppresion Mode allows you to hide your identity while exploring the overworld. If you are spotted however, the M.E.A. will immediately rush to their aid.

There will be two editions to the game according to the official website. The Liberators’ Edition and the Standard Edition, with the former including a DLC pack containing an EXP boost item, and collaboration items with Caligula and Monark, two other titles from Furyu. Furthermore, alternative costumes will also be included. Physical copies of the game will also include a soundtrack CD as a pre-order bonus.

The official website also reveals the staff behind the game. The scenario is written by Kazushige Nojima and the soundtrack is composed by Yoko Shimomura. Character design is handled by Yasutaka Kaburaki, with the key art by Yusuke Naora. The pre-rendered movies will be handled by StudioGOONEYS Inc. Takumi Isobe is the director and Natsume Atari Co. is the developer.
Trailer

Source:
noisypixel.net

Interesting that's there's no confirmation of a Western release.

NISA picked this up. Release is slated for fall 2024. PC/PlayStation/Switch.

911 Jumper

Educated
Reynatis Announced for PlayStation and Switch; July 2024 Release (in Japan)
During the Japanese broadcast of the Nintendo Direct Partners Showcase, developer Furyu announced a brand-new action RPG, titled Reynatis. The game will be releasing on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC via Steam on July 25th, 2024. As of the time of writing, it is unknown whether the game will come west.

Reynatis takes place in modern-day Tokyo, Shibuya. There, magicians, who are feared by the people because of their great power, are active. Marin Kirizumi, a young boy, goes to Shibuya in search of freedom. Sari Nishijima, a magician in charge of the police, patrols Shibuya, believing in justice. When these two protagonists from different backgrounds meet, the story begins to unfold. Reynatis allows players to switch between two modes: Supression and Release. Suppresion Mode allows you to hide your identity while exploring the overworld. If you are spotted however, the M.E.A. will immediately rush to their aid.

There will be two editions to the game according to the official website. The Liberators’ Edition and the Standard Edition, with the former including a DLC pack containing an EXP boost item, and collaboration items with Caligula and Monark, two other titles from Furyu. Furthermore, alternative costumes will also be included. Physical copies of the game will also include a soundtrack CD as a pre-order bonus.

The official website also reveals the staff behind the game. The scenario is written by Kazushige Nojima and the soundtrack is composed by Yoko Shimomura. Character design is handled by Yasutaka Kaburaki, with the key art by Yusuke Naora. The pre-rendered movies will be handled by StudioGOONEYS Inc. Takumi Isobe is the director and Natsume Atari Co. is the developer.
Trailer

Source:
noisypixel.net

Interesting that's there's no confirmation of a Western release.

NISA picked this up. Release is slated for fall 2024. PC/PlayStation/Switch.

Good to hear. Trailer made me think of Astral Chain.

911 Jumper

Educated
Square Enix Wants To Know How Fans Want To See A Chrono Trigger Remake
Square Enix would like to know what sort of a remake of its 1985 role-playing game, Chrono Trigger, fans wish to see.

Speaking during the My Perfect Console podcast with host Simon Parkin, Chrono Trigger director Yoshinori Kitase asked the host and fans what the best way would be for the development team to approach a Chrono Trigger remake for the gaming audiences of today.
Kitase described three different routes for a potential Chrono Trigger remake: a port, a graphical remaster or a remake of the scope of Final Fantasy VII Remake. Parkin shared his view on the matter, stating that he appreciated what Nintendo did with its remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening. Kitase responded by thanking Parkin for his great input.

A Chrono Trigger remake along the lines of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening certainly sounds compelling, especially for fans who would rather not see the game’s core storytelling and gameplay tampered with. On the other hand, a re-imagining in the vein of Final Fantasy VII Remake could also have some very enticing prospects. The shift from a turn-based combat system to a party-based real-time combat similar to that of Final Fantasy VII Remake could resonate well with a wider audience.

Kitase currently has his hands full with the Final Fantasy VII Remake trilogy, but once work on it has been completed, perhaps the development team will work on a Chrono Trigger or even a Final Fantasy VI remake.

The original Chrono Trigger was originally released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Players assume control of the protagonist and his companions within a two-dimensional world comprising forests, cities, and dungeons. Exploration takes place on an overworld map, offering a scaled-down overhead view of the landscape. Detailed areas such as forests and cities are presented as smaller, realistic maps, allowing players to interact with NPCs for items, services, puzzles, challenges, or encounters with enemies. Chrono Trigger diverged from traditional Japanese RPGs by featuring visible enemies on field maps and initiating battles directly on the map rather than transitioning to a separate battle screen.
Source: Game Infinitus

Shinji

Savant
Recent interview with Nobuo Uematsu

On modern video game music
Uematsu goes on to muse as to why recent game music has become less interesting in his opinion. He suggests that the problem might be that directors and producers are “satisfied with movie soundtrack-like music in games,” adding, “I think people need to have more freedom when creating (game music).” Uematsu thinks that if games keep using Hollywood movie-style scores, then the genre of “game music cannot develop further.” On the other hand, he comments that “game music will become more interesting if composers consider ‘what is something only I can do?’ and use their own knowledge and experience to be truly creative.”

On To Zanarkand:
“To Zanarkand” was actually not meant to be the theme for FFX. There was a flute player from France who originally asked me to write a song for them to play during a recital. When I wrote the piece, I thought perhaps this sounded a bit too sad for a recital. So I set it aside for the time being. Sometime after, when I was making the score for FFX, I was falling behind all the while the Producers were hounding me. So since that flute piece was unused, I just kinda meekly handed it to them. They listened to it and said “Yes! This is brilliant!”

Sources:
https://nichegamer.com/nobuo-uematsu-to-zanarkand-wasnt-meant-to-be-the-theme-of-final-fantasy-x/
https://automaton-media.com/en/news...r-nobuo-uematsu-recent-game-music-boring-why/

Video interview (in japanese, incomplete -- full version behind paywall in their website)

911 Jumper

Educated
Not just soundtracks that have become uninteresting and forgettable, video game sound effects have gone the same way. With the exception of Nintendo games, it's hard to think of modern video games that have memorable sound effects. What's the PlayStation or Xbox sound effect equivalent of Mario going down a pipe or Link obtaining a Heart Container?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not just soundtracks that have become uninteresting and forgettable, video game sound effects have gone the same way. With the exception of Nintendo games, it's hard to think of modern video games that have memorable sound effects. What's the PlayStation or Xbox sound effect equivalent of Mario going down a pipe or Link obtaining a Heart Container?

Final Fantasy battle victory is pretty iconic and mostly associated with Playstation these days, Nintendo previously. Still, it's a pass me down from a long running franchise so probably more proving your point than not.

911 Jumper

Educated

Final Fantasy battle victory is pretty iconic and mostly associated with Playstation these days, Nintendo previously. Still, it's a pass me down from a long running franchise so probably more proving your point than not.
Oh yeah, just thought of the FF victory fanfare. I think FF's distinctive menu navigation sound effects have gone, though – not sure haven't played FF beyond the FF13 trilogy.

(Btw, still no access to reactions/buttons so can't upvote your post.)

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Uematsu goes on to muse as to why recent game music has become less interesting in his opinion. He suggests that the problem might be that directors and producers are “satisfied with movie soundtrack-like music in games,” adding, “I think people need to have more freedom when creating (game music).” Uematsu thinks that if games keep using Hollywood movie-style scores, then the genre of “game music cannot develop further.” On the other hand, he comments that “game music will become more interesting if composers consider ‘what is something only I can do?’ and use their own knowledge and experience to be truly creative.”
Feels like this applies more to western games than JP releases. Even sublimely questionable games like Blue Reflection: Second Light can end up having really good soundtracks that are also very different from anything you can find in a western release.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Feels like this applies more to western games than JP releases. Even sublimely questionable games like Blue Reflection: Second Light can end up having really good soundtracks that are also very different from anything you can find in a western release.
it's gust. they generally tend to have good soundtracks. still not as good as their music from ps2-3 era tho. ar tonelico music - :love:

Gerrard

Arcane
Inomata Mutsumi, illustrator and character designer of many of the Tales games, passed away on March 10

Shinji

Savant
Inomata Mutsumi, illustrator and character designer of many of the Tales games, passed away on March 10

Even Michael Jackson appreciated her work, apparently

tumblr_mn3ucaITaN1re5609o1_1280.jpg

911 Jumper

Educated
Japanese Charts: Unicorn Overlord Maintains Its Lead Over Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
The latest Japanese charts are in courtesy of Famitsu (thanks, Gematsu) and it's another victory for Atlus' Unicorn Overlord, which comes in at number one again after selling a further 16,012 copies. Not bad considering how difficult it's been to picked up a physical edition recently.

It's another resounding success for the Switch as a whole, actually, with the only representation for the PS5 being Final Fantasy VII Rebirth at number two. Elsewhere, we've got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at number three, Super Mario Bros. Wonder at number four, and Splatoon 3 even pokes its head in at number ten.
The only newcomer this week is Macross: Shooting Insight at number seven, selling a respectable 6,961.

Here's your look at this week's top ten in full:

[NSW] Unicorn Overlord (ATLUS, 03/08/24) – 16,012 (56,003)
[PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Square Enix, 02/29/24) – 11,497 (298,635)
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 9,031 (5,748,900)
[NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Nintendo, 10/20/23) – 8,257 (1,787,466)
[NSW] Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Nintendo, 02/16/24) – 7,680 (124,441)
[NSW] Fitness Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku: Isshoni Exercise (Imagineer, 03/07/24) – 7,011 (21,139)
[NSW] MACROSS Shooting Insight (Bushiroad Games, 03/14/24) – 6,961 (New)
[NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu World: Chikyuu wa Kibou de Mawatteru! (Konami, 11/16/23) – 5,947 (1,011,957)
[NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 5,872 (3,470,376)
[NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 5,626 (4,251,794)
Source: Nintendo Life

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Honestly, just like with The Alliance Alive this HD remaster doesn't really bring anything new to the table beyond porting said games from 3DS. If you can in any way play it there just do it.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I found Alliance Alive quite mediocre and uninspired to be honest, dropped after ~3 hours. Is this one better?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I say avoid this one. I played through this LoL) on 3DS, and it's really not worrh anyone's time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom