Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Falksi

Arcane
Falksi said:
incredibly slow-paced affairs
?

they fucking dragged
?

Shining Force games
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Personally, I've given up on SF2 during first mission, when I relized it uses the "seqence-based" system (you can't choose which fag acts when), instead of the "turn-based" system (both sides have their turns, during which they can give orders to all their units).

The only games with this system that I can stomach are Tactics Ogre games (TO - LUCT, FFT & TO-KOL) & Devil Survivor. But it's IMO inferior to the turn-based system (Fire Emblem, Front Mission, etc.).

IMO Shining Force games are inferior to Fire Emblem games in terms of graphics, interface & complexity (I can be wrong here, since I haven't played them).

But if this shit doesn't drag, then I don't know what does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YnxuDwMUlw&t=2m10s

That's not the speed of the standard game, nowhere near, that's a poorly emulated version running far slower.

SF games certainly aren't as complex as the FE ones, they're just more fun IMO. But like you say, different strokes.

To me SF2 is an absolute masterpiece of a light-hearted, strategy JRPG. It's simple but brilliant, and that's what I want from console games. If I'm after complexity I play PC ones. The two FE games which I played sit in this awkward middle ground which doesn't satisfy me on either front. I liked a lot of aspects about each of them, but felt they needed evolving more to be truly satisfying (which is why I asked the question about the latter games)

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Xenoblade 2... nothing new to report. The combat is fun and reactive, the exploration is just as great as ever, as is the soundtrack. Lots of tough enemies and you can get ambushed at any moment out in the wild. It's technically very impressive too, it's obvious it was made by a first party dev that knew the limits of the hardware, so they do their best to hide the necessary compromises. Emulates really well nowadays.

But man, the story, characters and tone are just so off. Riding heavily on the tropes, you never know what to expect from a cutscene. Most of the time they make an attempt at light hearted comedy but it just doesn't work. None of these characters feel remotely believable. The cringey dialogue is made more tolerable by JP voice acting which actually comes with a cool feature the dub lacks - a battle announcer. Those nopon fucks don't immediately make me want to gas them since I can't understand their retard mascot speech.

I don't know, the rest of it is just so fun that I hope I can keep going, because I do like that sense of adventure these games provide. And I do have Torna which is generally highly rated, so I could give that a go.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I put 400hs in Xenoblade 2 to 100% the game, gameplay is amazing once you understand the combat system that the game never explains really well and there's even hidden mechanics, i suggest to watch some jewtube video about it. Story wise the game tries to revive the perfect works series
with the conduit which is basically the zohar, it's even named zohar in the game files
and also doing an amazing homage to works like Mirai Shounen Conan which is as early shonen as it gets, seems like you went in with the wrong expectations.

I enjoyed my two playthoughs of it and every retarded journo seething about the character designs, one of the best JRPG of the past decade.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I finished Shin Megami Tensei V recently and it's might be my biggest ''disappointment'' in terms of games in recent memories. Not because the game itself is horrible but it's so close to be amazing and instead is just a good game. In terms of Gameplay is really good with a few flaws, like the lack of any real dungeons and how awful the balance is towards the end. Also the Last dungeons is mess of balance, perfomance and design. The Last boss is boring af , with a awful design and easy af.

Biggest problem is the story that's painfuly mediocre and have some of the worst characters of any JRPG i played. In the end is good game and really meh entry in SMT. It does nothing new in the SMT franchise outside of being a Xenoblade wannabe and does that fairly well. But compared to the rest of SMT is okay. A low 8 or high 7 out of 10 game. Expected much more after all these years but it seems like SMT's dev team is just don't have any idea of what to do in terms story and characters anymore.

Shin Megami Tensei V feels so ... forgetable.. Great gameplay but the rest is just forgetable. I felt nothing after beating. But at least the OST still a banger.

7fa1fa27879161802ebcab185bf6ebca80f0ea28.gifv

In more positive note, i started playing Tales of Berseria and so far, it's pretty great. I had zero contact with Tales of and always thought out as the most generic JRPG franchise together with Trails of/Cold Steel franchise.

But Berseria might be my biggest surprise this year. The story so far is well paced, has a insanely good hook and really enjoyable characters. Velvet is just Guts from Berserk with Boobs and that's fucking great. Never expected to enjoying so much so far. Only 15h hours in , just go the second big city. I might even get Arise after playing this because i really enjoyed the idea of Skits. Its kinda like Banter in CRPGs. Really enjoying and i already feeling like i'm going to this miss this game once i fnished.

tales-berseria-01.jpg

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
I had zero contact with Tales of and always thought out as the most generic JRPG franchise together with Trails of/Cold Steel franchise.
Just in case the topic comes up: Berseria is technically a prequel to Zestiria (including returning characters since some can live millenias). It's one of the few direct sequels/prequels in the series, and if you liked Berseria you might get tempted to check out Zestiria at some point if only to have a full narrative, but it's exactly the kind of generic jRPG bullshit you could generate with an AI.

Berseria is a bit of an anomaly in that department.

TBF: There's quite a few people here that enjoyed Zestiria, so maybe he will too. That said, while I actually think Zestiria's Opening/Prologue is actually pretty fun its worst offender is that while Tales games can be generic, they're usually very *fun* generic, decently executed and supported by the skits system.

Zestiria lacks that after its opening, the whole narrative just ends up a mess and badly executed without a charming enough cast to support it. It's not as bad as Xillia could get, but alas. Berseria and Arise were huge improvements on that front, closing up again to the early titles.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I had zero contact with Tales of and always thought out as the most generic JRPG franchise together with Trails of/Cold Steel franchise.
Just in case the topic comes up: Berseria is technically a prequel to Zestiria (including returning characters since some can live millenias). It's one of the few direct sequels/prequels in the series, and if you liked Berseria you might get tempted to check out Zestiria at some point if only to have a full narrative, but it's exactly the kind of generic jRPG bullshit you could generate with an AI.

Berseria is a bit of an anomaly in that department.

I kinda iffy about trying Zestiria because i heard most people saying that's really bad and honestly, if i really want to see the end of Berseria in Zestiria, i might just watch in the youtube..

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Finished Tokyo Xanadu eX+. It was a pretty rad game from start to finish. Good wholesome fun. Great stuff. Took me quite a while to beat, 194 hours. I did take things extremely slowly though.
Gameplay's solid, though nothing too complex. Tubular action combat, decent dungeons and some cool boss encounters. It's none too hard, unfortunately. Played it on the maximum difficulty available on the first playthrough, Nightmare, and it wasn't that much of a challenge. Sure, bosses can hit you for boatloads of damage and take you down quickly at the beginning, but most of their attacks are pretty easy to avoid. You can cook in this game and certain dishes give you special attack points, allowing you to perform some pretty devastating moves. It kind of ruins the game's difficulty since ingredients are real cheap and making money is super easy. There's an item cooldown on the higher difficulties but that doesn't really stop you from abusing food that much. Your performance at the end of a dungeon gets ranked and if you S rank it, one of the protagonist's attributes will increase, so I found myself going at sonic speeds in most dungeons to get the fast completion bonus for extra points. The game comes with some costume/item/consumable DLCs, but they aren't forced on you. They appear in a special DLC tab in your inventory and you can redeem whatever you want, whenever you want.
The game's cast is quite charming and enjoyable. If you talk to characters throughout the game constantly, you'll find that they have quite a bit to say and grow as characters throughout the story. The character events are nothing too bizarre or outlandish or far out, they're pretty down to earth most of the time. I have an issue though with how stiff and lifeless the models can be at times during events. It legit feels as if Live2D events in other games are livelier and more dynamic. Also have a grievance with the fact that you can't experience all character events during the first playthrough. You're only allowed to do a set number of events each chapter. Sure, you can increase that number by one or two, but it's still not enough to cover everything. Only way to get everything done is to play NG+ and select the option that removes the limit. What a shame.
Graphics are alright for a PSP game re-released on PS4 and PC. There are some cool monster and boss designs and some good looking dungeons to traverse. That's pretty much it, there's not much to say about the graphics. They do their job.
The soundtrack's quite neat. Some good music in this game, however I do wish that the true ending had an actual song rather than a normal track, but ah well.
Story's fun enough. High school kids saving their town, Japan and the whole world from all sorts of monsters and paranormal threats. What more do you want? It's charming, silly, a tad out there and it does its job well enough. Ends up leading to some pretty bitchin' scenarios.
So, yea, good game, had a lot of fun with it. Might start NG+ later on.

Oh, also I want to point out the fact that this game does something special with its mandatory swimsuit DLC. The swimsuits for the girls come in two variants: with shoes & without shoes. This is extremely important and I wish more games would do this.

Zenithsan

Educated
In more positive note, i started playing Tales of Berseria and so far, it's pretty great. I had zero contact with Tales of and always thought out as the most generic JRPG franchise together with Trails of/Cold Steel franchise.

I loved Berseria...til a couple of hours after the point you got. The banter is always great, but there is really not much besides that. I tried almost all Tales games and to avoid you some pain, not even one goes beyond the "Let's beat the bad guy and chat about funny things in the meantime!" (Okay the first half of Abyss IS pretty great, and right now I'm playing Tales of Innocence and the dialogue and development of the main gang is very well done, probably the best of all games so far)

Puukko

Arcane
I put 400hs in Xenoblade 2 to 100% the game, gameplay is amazing once you understand the combat system that the game never explains really well and there's even hidden mechanics, i suggest to watch some jewtube video about it. Story wise the game tries to revive the perfect works series
with the conduit which is basically the zohar, it's even named zohar in the game files
and also doing an amazing homage to works like Mirai Shounen Conan which is as early shonen as it gets, seems like you went in with the wrong expectations.

I enjoyed my two playthoughs of it and every retarded journo seething about the character designs, one of the best JRPG of the past decade.

Alright, a couple questions. Just got Vandham in my team which allowed me to bench the furry fuck.

How exactly do AI partners use their alternate blades? Or do they simply use their main blade and you have to manually change them?

I just got a 5 star unique (Electra) from a 2 star source which allowed me to put Rex on tank duty. How lucky did I get, roughly? 1% chance? 20%? This is literally my first exposure to gacha but I get the impression I got pretty damn lucky.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
How exactly do AI partners use their alternate blades? Or do they simply use their main blade and you have to manually change them?
Very simple, when you start to build a combo the AI going , generaly , change their blade to one that can continue build the elemental combo then allow you to press ZL or ZR to active their Special

For example, you start with a Water Special level 1 , Nia going to change to a Water to continue the combo by pressing ZL if she has enough meter to active a Special level 2 skill and then Vandham going to change his blade to a Fire blade , again if he has enough meter to use a Special level 3 and continue the combo , by you pressing ZR and then if you have enough meter you can finish with a Special level 4.

But AI can also start combos. So you can make Nia stat a combo by pressing ZL (eletric Special level 1) , then you continue the combo by using a another skill ( eletric Special level 2), then Vandham continues with ZR (water Special level 3) and then somebody has to finish the combo ( w/ eletric Special level 4). So it's manual but sometimes the AI can delay to change and fuck you over.

All these Elemental combos build elemental orbs above the enemy that later you can active a Chain attack to break those orbs and deal insane damage.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
The banter is always great, but there is really not much besides that.
Hm..Honestly the banter is my main reason to continue but i kinda want to see what's going to happen with Rokurou's clan or what's the deal in general with Magilou. Also
i heard the ending is bittersweet af and honestly , that got my interested too. I love a good bittersweet ending.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played Giten since August, game grinded to a halt because it started crashing endlessly. It seems to push every emulator to its limits. I'll need to play the windows version to finish it.

I only collected worst gurl's arms, prolly not even halfway through. Also it seems you can actually fukk her before she gets gobbled up by demons, lel

M1Ll1cL.png

ZUptdyp.png

n4XwmCw.png

snwJR82.png

vgK3hlx.png

Puukko

Arcane
I haven't played Giten since August, game grinded to a halt because it started crashing endlessly. It seems to push every emulator to its limits. I'll need to play the windows version to finish it.

I only collected worst gurl's arms, prolly not even halfway through. Also it seems you can actually fukk her before she gets gobbled up by demons, lel

M1Ll1cL.png

ZUptdyp.png

n4XwmCw.png

snwJR82.png

vgK3hlx.png

Do you know if the overlay translation tools work with whatever emulator you're using?

Puukko

Arcane
There's actually a translation project for the Windows version in the works.

The PC-98 version interested me more, but if it has crashing issues, then that's unfortunate.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Was craving an RPG with a bit of difficulty and sense of progression and ended up giving the original dragon quest a go. A patched version of the SNES JP release.

Not nearly as obtuse as I expected, did need to hit a guide once but that was it. Everything in the world felt really deliberately designed and was a blast to play through. Wandering through the villages trying to put the clues together was actually very fun.

Love how the last dungeon was designed to fuck people who hadn't got the right equipment over. Pity there's not more quality JRPGs of this length.

jrpglover

Novice
Hi guys!

Just recently found this wonderful forum. I would like to share what I played in 2021:

I'm the type of person who prefers gameplay to storylines. Also, everything written below is my personal opinion and I do not pretend to be objective.

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (3 / 10) - Abandoned after 64 hours. A terrible game with wasted potential. The game lacks different mechanics, which makes it feel very empty, monotonous and extremely boring. An empty game world without activities, monotonous combat that gets bored quickly, etc. I couldn't find anything positive in the game. Unfortunately, as I wrote above, the game had great potential.

RESONANCE OF FATE™/END OF ETERNITY (9 / 10) - A very solid JRPG like most other JRPGs from Tri-Ace (one of my favorite developers). A unique combat system, especially for me, who hated classic turn-based combat all my life. The game has enough interesting mechanics, and combat does not let you get bored even by the end of the game (it took me about 60 hours to complete the game with an optional dungeon). The only thing that upset me was that there are very few cutscenes in the game. The plot is average. All the beauty of the game is in its combat system. It's hard to explain in words, you need to try it yourself. At first, it seems hard, but after a couple of guides read, watched videos, it becomes clear and easy. Also, the game has a pretty high difficulty, but for me personally this is a big plus.

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition (4 / 10) - As I wrote above, I hate the classic turn-based combat. And in general, no offense to the fans, but I consider the Dragon Quest series one of the worst. Dragon Quest 10 years ago, or Dragon Quest now - nothing has changed in it. Terribly outdated mechanics in a beautiful new wrapper. The only plus of the game is the graphics, everything else is very boring and monotonous. A large but empty game world with no activities. Lack of any interesting mechanics. The plot is weak, as in all other titles in this series. I stopped playing this somewhere in the final chapters, after 50 hours.

Tales of Arise (4 / 10) & Tales of Berseria (3 / 10) & Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (2 / 10) & Tales of Symphonia (1 / 10) - Arise was completed in 46 hours. Berseria is abandoned after 24 hours. Vesperia abandoned 18 hours later. Symphonia was abandoned almost immediately. This series reminds me very much of the same Dragon Quest. Everything old and outdated in a beautiful new wrapper. They save a lot on the series (in Arise, for the first time there was an attempt to make something similar to an AAA game, but apparently the entire budget was spent on graphics, everything else in the game is just awful). Lack of interesting mechanics, empty locations, reskins of the same mobs, terrible dungeons in the best traditions of the Persona series. The game simply has nothing to hook me with. I would like to note that Berseria had a nice attempt at plot, but the horrific gameplay and cringe characters quickly overwhelm it. To be honest, all my life I've considered the Tales of series to be a parody of a realy good Star Ocean series. Tales of is simply Star Ocean at the minimum. Better to spend the same time and replay Star Ocean.

STAR OCEAN™ - THE LAST HOPE (6 / 10) - A terrible plot and characters, an empty game world, the absence of interesting mechanics, but an excellent combat game. It was completed in 50 hours. The combat system is the only thing that kept me from getting bored and quitting the game, because everything else in it is terrible. You will either love this game or hate it.

Persona 4 Golden (5 / 10) - In all these 10+ years, this is probably my fifth attempt to beat this game. Nice plot, very interesting "Social Link" mechanic that reveals the characters. The part with the normal school life is great, but the dungeons are just awful. In general, the series has very big problems with dungeons (except that Persona 5 has some well-developed dungeons). Dungeons are the reason why I abandoned this game for the fifth time, this time I was enough for 38 hours. The combat system in this series is pretty mediocre, you just find the enemy's weakness and hit it, that's all, nothing particularly interesting, except that buffs and debuffs are used on bosses.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (8 / 10) - One of my favorite series. The series is mainly about gameplay. The game never lets you get bored, an excellent and fast combat system, the games in the series as a whole are very fast-paced, dynamic. Jump, roll, run and slash - briefly about the series. The developers added new mechanics, a bunch of new characters and a mediocre storyline. The gameplay is as always on top.

FINAL FANTASY XIII (3 / 10) - Abandoned after 28 hours. The combat system seemed good, but it’s not good enough for me to close eyes to everything else. Very linear, terrible characters (the only exception is Lightning), poor leveling system, etc.

WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY (3 / 10) - Abandoned after 27 hours. Boring combat system, but interesting Pokémon-style mechanics. In general, I did not like the game, if it were not for the mechanic of collecting monsters, I would not even start it.

Valkyria Chronicles (5 / 10) - The first time was beat it on the release on Playstation 3. This time I abandoned it after 17 hours. The game, unfortunately, is outdated, it really lacks the turbo mode. I just didn't have the patience to wait for all these enemy characters to change their position for an hour, etc. A good game for its time, but now, unfortunately, it is already outdated.

ONINAKI (3 / 10) - Abandoned after 11 hours. In short - an interesting plot, but terrible gameplay.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (7 / 10) - Abandoned after 10 hours, but I will definitely replay it soon. The plot is terrible, I skip all the dialogues and cutscenes, but the game has just great gameplay. There are very few games about imitation MMOs, and there are very few good ones among them. The game imitates MMO very well, other players (NPC) or group of players walk in the locations, they can help you during the battle, or you can help them, plus an interesting leveling system, a bunch of skills, equipment, etc.

Fuga: Melodies of Steel (2 / 10) - Abandoned after 10 hours. The combat system seems interesting only for the first couple of battles, the plot is average, that's all.

FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD (2 / 10) - Abandoned after 7 hours. Outdated, plus for portables. Not a bad combat system, that's all.

Grand Kingdom (3 / 10) - Abandoned after 10 hours. Interesting combat system and that's it. The game seems to be made for mobile phones, and plus the online servers are disabled.

Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky (5 / 10) - Abandoned after 20 hours. Valkyrie Profile 2 at minimum. It gets boring quickly, plus it is very varied. Average plot, weak characters, good combat system.

Shin Megami Tensei V (7 / 10) - Completed in 40-50 hours. Weak plot, great gameplay. Finally, they gave up on the terrible monotonous and boring dungeons. Now we have open locations with good exploration. The combat system is interesting, the locations are all well developed. There are a couple of dungeons in the game and they are all terrible, but fortunately they are very short. A big step forward for the series.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (10 / 10) - Completed in 70 hours. Everything in the game is amazing. A huge and beautiful game world that is perfectly filled. The game sorely lacks a bestiary. Different boims, several races, interesting cities, nasty monsters, more than 400 sidequests that are easy to take and complete (mostly they are all MMO-style). The game is very similar to my favorite Final Fantasy XII, which makes it even more attractive.

jrpglover

Novice
Oh, I forgot about a couple of other games ...

Bravely Default II (8 / 10) - Completed in 30-40 hours. Weak plot, but great gameplay. A lot of classes, skills, an interesting combat system, the ability to mix skills of different classes, a large number of different equipment with bonus stats, a lot of QoL, etc.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (10 / 10) - Completed in 20-25 hours. Hidden gem. One of the best atmosphere games. Great plot, amazing gameplay, the game is one big continuous innovation. The combat system is definitely on the list of the best in the genre.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (7 / 10) - Abandoned after 30 hours, I think this is somewhere in the final. I just lost interest in the game. Great plot, great combat. Also partly hidden gem.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Do you know if the overlay translation tools work with whatever emulator you're using?
The thing I'm using currently works with everything including Youtube videos. It grabs a screenshot of a given area, sends it to Google for OCR and then re-sends the resulting OCRed text to either Google or DeepL, your choice. Or you can have Translation Aggregator running, too, it'll grab the text from clipboard. It's the best of all worlds. The only thing that's bad is when the game resolution is 320x200 or less, the OCR doesn't work well with large pixels.

Puukko

Arcane
The thing I'm using currently works with everything including Youtube videos. It grabs a screenshot of a given area, sends it to Google for OCR and then re-sends the resulting OCRed text to either Google or DeepL, your choice. Or you can have Translation Aggregator running, too, it'll grab the text from clipboard. It's the best of all worlds. The only thing that's bad is when the game resolution is 320x200 or less, the OCR doesn't work well with large pixels.
I set up ZTranslate for Retroarch recently and tried out some PSX Wizardry. It was amusing in how many ways "party" can be mistranslated as it picks up the english text along with the JP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom