Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Hit the infamous World Tree Leaf bug in the translated rom I was using for Dragon Quest 2. Came very close to calling it and moving onto something else, thing is this isn't just any random JRPG, this is Dragon Quest 2.

Managed to make it through by loading up my save in an unpatched Japanese rom and getting through the problematic event that way. Very exciting meta quests involved occasionally when playing these fan patches.

After the perfect minimalist design of the first one this one is a tiny bit overwhelming. I didn't really miss having a map before, now I've crumbled and allowed myself to "cheat" by using one I found on google. Navigating that ocean without one would be a fools errand.

Otherwise it's very interesting to see the evolution to multi-character/multi-enemy combat. Definitely more standard fare here where the first one's limitations produced a more unique piece of gaming history. Still very fun though, if you have a map...

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Things were looking up. I had found an in game world map and was trucking along nicely.

Then, I got stuck on a random tile. Fine I said, I used the "Outside" spell to leave the dungeon. Then I found myself dressed as the Dragon Quest 1 hero in the ultimate armour walking across the endless sea alone. The game commenting on the solitude of the first game's hero perhaps.

Either this is art I don't quite understand, or an invitation to give this one a pass and move onto the third instalment. I have a feeling the first game got most of the bug fixing love on the patch I am using. Sad to leave the heroes lost in space and time but they knew the risks when they set out!

For Dragon Quest 3, the agony of choice:

• Game Boy Color - Squashed graphics, shortened names. Tried it out a bit, actually plays really well and has a nice translation.
  • Switch (port of iOS) - Goofy unpleasant translation from what I've seen so far. Graphics like a plate of sick, somehow much uglier than GBC version and lacking any animations for enemies. Everyone involved with this should be shot.
  • Super Famicom (with fan translation) - Looks and sounds fantastic, multiple accounts online of people being able to complete it without game breaking bugs.

cover2.jpg

Last edited:

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Finished the Trials of Mana remake. It was alright, pretty cool. Nice wholesome fun. Very short unfortunately, 33 hours to beat and I took things slowly.
Gameplay's good, but on the first playthrough when the difficulty only goes up to Hard, it's just too easy. The only challenging fight for me was the secret boss and that was partly due to how braindead and useless companions are. Seriously, your companions in this game can be so worthless at times. Didn't matter how I set up their tactics, they still had moments where they'd run away from a stunned boss and just look at it, doing absolutely nothing. Anyway, you can easily break the game and make every single fight into a trivial three second encounter with the right passive abilities. Even if you don't use the more overpowered passives, you can still end fights in seconds with Angela, the caster, and her screen clearing spells. Oh, by the way, Angela is voiced by Rumi Okubo who also voices Red Riding Hood in the Mary Skelter games! That's great! Unfortunately I also have an issue with this but I'll come back to it later. The game has quite a few boss fights and they're good enough, but some fights end up being absolute clusterfucks where it's hard to tell what's going on due to so many spell effects on the screen and AoE indicators blending in with the environment.
The cast is ok, not much to say here other than Charlotte being the liveliest and most enjoyable character in the game. Events are a bit stiff, unfortunately. Characters will play a few animations here and there, but the way they start them is pretty robotic at times.
This is an Unreal Engine 4 game, so the graphics are pretty much what you'd expect them to be. Quite a lot of pop in unless you mess around with the ini files, mediocre AA unless you run it at 4k and so on. The visuals do their job, but I'd rather they used a different engine.
The game has a soundtrack. For the most part it's alright, but there were a few tracks that I felt would drive me insane if I listened to them for too long. The elf village track made me mute the game after spending more than a few minutes there.
Didn't really care much for the story or bothered paying attention to it at all after a while. Not much to say there. You're the chosen one, now go get the Mana Sword and save the Mana Tree and Goddess.
So, yea, expected a lot more from this game, but ah well, it was a fun 33 hour ride, beating on cute rabbit monsters and ogling at Angela.

Right, so about my issue with Angela being voiced by Rumi Okubo... I want Angela to sit on my face. Here's why:

weqoPn6.png

ZLLVLhO.png
But the problem is that when she talks I immediately think of Red Riding Hood and I don't want Red Riding Hood to sit on my face. It's been bothering me the entire game.

Puukko

Arcane
The challenge quests in Xenoblade 2 are true to their name. This is an exercise in gitting gud, but also with hefty doses of frustration. They're just wave encounters on a timer so far, but the difficulty goes from mild to dick punching immediately. I just spent some 5 hours on it and managed to beat one "2.5/5 star difficulty" challenge after some 15 attempts while another that's advertised as being easier still eludes me. It's like a raid encounter in an MMO - learn the steps, figure out a best approach, slowly get further until you regress because of bad RNG. Rinse and repeat.

Most of the difficulty comes from the time limit - it's not enough that you're surviving, you need to dish out that damage because ass rape will arrive on clock. This particular mission has 4 waves and the final one arrives just 1:30 in and by that point you'd better have killed the vast majority of enemies and have a full party gauge ready because those three bugs will carve you a new one. I got my first two orb streak ever (two extensions for the big damage QTE minigame) and that still wasn't enough.

What it mostly comes down to is RNG. Whether your breaks land, whether your ally follows up on that break on time. Sometimes your healer switches to DPS at the worst time. Threat is also a serious consideration, because it's easy to lose aggro after a QTE combo and not have the tools to immediately heal or regain aggro with afterwards. I'm reminded of my modded FFVIII playthrough where Squall starting at low ATB basically meant that the boss fight was over before it even started. At least it's easy to restart the challenges if you get a bad start, such as break missing 7 times in a row.

But hey, at least I'm racking in that trust and affinity.

jrpglover

Novice
Finished the Trials of Mana remake. It was alright, pretty cool. Nice wholesome fun. Very short unfortunately, 33 hours to beat and I took things slowly.
Gameplay's good, but on the first playthrough when the difficulty only goes up to Hard, it's just too easy. The only challenging fight for me was the secret boss and that was partly due to how braindead and useless companions are. Seriously, your companions in this game can be so worthless at times. Didn't matter how I set up their tactics, they still had moments where they'd run away from a stunned boss and just look at it, doing absolutely nothing. Anyway, you can easily break the game and make every single fight into a trivial three second encounter with the right passive abilities. Even if you don't use the more overpowered passives, you can still end fights in seconds with Angela, the caster, and her screen clearing spells. Oh, by the way, Angela is voiced by Rumi Okubo who also voices Red Riding Hood in the Mary Skelter games! That's great! Unfortunately I also have an issue with this but I'll come back to it later. The game has quite a few boss fights and they're good enough, but some fights end up being absolute clusterfucks where it's hard to tell what's going on due to so many spell effects on the screen and AoE indicators blending in with the environment.
The cast is ok, not much to say here other than Charlotte being the liveliest and most enjoyable character in the game. Events are a bit stiff, unfortunately. Characters will play a few animations here and there, but the way they start them is pretty robotic at times.
This is an Unreal Engine 4 game, so the graphics are pretty much what you'd expect them to be. Quite a lot of pop in unless you mess around with the ini files, mediocre AA unless you run it at 4k and so on. The visuals do their job, but I'd rather they used a different engine.
The game has a soundtrack. For the most part it's alright, but there were a few tracks that I felt would drive me insane if I listened to them for too long. The elf village track made me mute the game after spending more than a few minutes there.
Didn't really care much for the story or bothered paying attention to it at all after a while. Not much to say there. You're the chosen one, now go get the Mana Sword and save the Mana Tree and Goddess.
So, yea, expected a lot more from this game, but ah well, it was a fun 33 hour ride, beating on cute rabbit monsters and ogling at Angela.

Right, so about my issue with Angela being voiced by Rumi Okubo... I want Angela to sit on my face. Here's why:

But the problem is that when she talks I immediately think of Red Riding Hood and I don't want Red Riding Hood to sit on my face. It's been bothering me the entire game.

I tried to play it on release, but I gave it up after about 10-15 hours. As for me, subjectively, the game is terrible in everything except graphics. The biggest problem with the game is the very boring and old-school combat system that gets boring early in the game. I tried to forgive everything to the game, simply because this is an ancient game with just new graphics, but I could not get pleasure from it, no matter how I forced myself. Great remake if we talk about graphics, terrible game if we talk about everything else.

jrpglover

Novice
Well, I finally finished Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi, it took 45 hours to complete.

This is the second DRPG game I've played. The first was Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, which I played 10-15 years ago. I still remember how interesting and fascinating it seemed then. I have long wanted to try playing something from this genre, for this reason I have been buying different games of this genre for several years, which are still waiting for their time in my huge backlog. For example, my backlog contains games from this genre such as Mary Skelter (series), Labyrinth of Refrain: Conven of Dusk, Saviors of Sapphire Wings / Stranger of Sword City Revisited, Zanki Zero: Last Begining, Demon Gaze II, Mind Zero and Ray Gigant.
Why did I choose Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi? The answer is simple, I liked it stylistically. The game is extremely interesting, plus a ton of different QoL, such as resetting all skills at any time, or changing class with resetting stats in the hub, etc. The gameplay does not make you bored, plus the dungeons are short (although, perhaps this is the norm for the genre) and take an hour to complete, they are all different, which makes them even more interesting. The plot of the game is interesting, it is also interesting to observe some of the characters, but in general, the game almost does not reveal the entire plot and characters.
Now about what I didn't like about the game. Again, perhaps this is the norm for the genre, but I'm more attracted to 3D models than just "portraits". The same Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, a game from 20 years ago, even now looks and feels more pleasant due to 3D models. Plus, the design of some of the monsters somehow doesn't quite fit into the setting. In some locations you meet such monsters that you get the impression that they were made for a completely different game in a different setting. In general, I did not like the design of most of the monsters for the reason written earlier. Of course, I understand that the studio makes niche products and their budget is very limited, but I would like to see from them at least one game in this genre with full 3D graphics and design of monsters that would fit the setting of the game. I liked the mechanics with flowers, especially with monflowers.
The game, by the way, is pretty easy. The only problem I had with the final boss, but the reason for this was that I ran almost the entire game with the equipment farmed at the very beginning. 99% of battles (except for the final boss) are fought on auto battle. Also "switch boost" is a pretty funny thing.

I would give the game 7/10. A good and interesting game that does not have enough budget, plus the plot has not yet been fully revealed.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I have a soft spot for SMT Strange Jouney so i enjoyed the setting of Yomi a lot, not many games managed to give that feeling of stranger in a strange land. From the games you mentioned the only ones that i remember having 3d enemies or portraits are the mary skelter games, zanki zero and ray gigant, the last one is more of a visual novel IMO, just looked it up and is on VNDB so not only for me. If you have a vita play Dungeon Travelers 2, if you know moon runes start with the first one, amazing dungeon crawler with a lot of fan service but mechanically amazing, can't recommend it enough to people.

jrpglover

Novice
I have a soft spot for SMT Strange Jouney so i enjoyed the setting of Yomi a lot, not many games managed to give that feeling of stranger in a strange land. From the games you mentioned the only ones that i remember having 3d enemies or portraits are the mary skelter games, zanki zero and ray gigant, the last one is more of a visual novel IMO, just looked it up and is on VNDB so not only for me. If you have a vita play Dungeon Travelers 2, if you know moon runes start with the first one, amazing dungeon crawler with a lot of fan service but mechanically amazing, can't recommend it enough to people.
Thank you very much for your recommendation, but I'll probably rest a little before going through the new DRPG. From tomorrow I will start playing Final Fantasy XV.

Unfortunately I don't have a PlayStation Vita, but I often see people refer to Dungeon Travelers 2 as one of the best DRPG game, despite the large amount of fan service in it.

I really liked the DRPG genre in general, but unfortunately, due to its unpopularity (niche), all games created in this genre are low-budget. I really hope that someday some of the big developers will create an AAA game in this genre, as I think this genre is undeservedly niche.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Is there any other JRPG besides Persona 3 FES where you can tell party members to scramble and explore the floor on their own and fight enemies? I specify FES because P3P scrapped the mechanic completely.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Finished the Secret of Mana remake. Was alright, I guess. It wasn't that good or amazing, but it also wasn't as terrible as some would make it seem. Pretty short, took me 23 hours to finish and that's with grinding weapon and spell levels.
Nothing too special about the gameplay. It does its job. Read some steam reviews about the hitboxes being quite a mess, but I didn't really have an issue with them. What I did have some issues with were some of the enemies encountered later on. There's quite a few monsters that just aren't fun at all to fight and I found myself just running past some of them. There are quite a few boss fights, but none of them are really spectacular or outstanding and the game repeats some fights a few times. The final boss is a joke, unfortunately. Zero challenge and really boring. I was alt-tabbing during the fight to check some other things out while the boss was doing its moves before coming into attack range.
The game's cast is enjoyable enough. Popoi's an absolute bundle of joy and a lot of fun, Primm is entertaining too and King Truffle, the mushroom man, is quite a lively and amusing fellow. Events that happen before the party goes to sleep are cute and entertaining enough but I wish characters were a bit more animated during them.
Graphics are decent enough. They're bright, sweet and just work. Not much else to say about them.
The game's original soundtrack is rad. The remaster soundtrack? Not that great. Good thing you can switch between them in the options menu.
Just like with Trials of Mana, the story isn't anything interesting or engaging. You're the wielder of the Mana Sword and the bad guys are up to no good, now go stop them.
Thought this remake would be utter rubbish, but it wasn't that bad.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Well, I finally finished Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi, it took 45 hours to complete.

This is the second DRPG game I've played. The first was Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, which I played 10-15 years ago. I still remember how interesting and fascinating it seemed then. I have long wanted to try playing something from this genre, for this reason I have been buying different games of this genre for several years, which are still waiting for their time in my huge backlog. For example, my backlog contains games from this genre such as Mary Skelter (series), Labyrinth of Refrain: Conven of Dusk, Saviors of Sapphire Wings / Stranger of Sword City Revisited, Zanki Zero: Last Begining, Demon Gaze II, Mind Zero and Ray Gigant.
Why did I choose Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi? The answer is simple, I liked it stylistically. The game is extremely interesting, plus a ton of different QoL, such as resetting all skills at any time, or changing class with resetting stats in the hub, etc. The gameplay does not make you bored, plus the dungeons are short (although, perhaps this is the norm for the genre) and take an hour to complete, they are all different, which makes them even more interesting. The plot of the game is interesting, it is also interesting to observe some of the characters, but in general, the game almost does not reveal the entire plot and characters.
Now about what I didn't like about the game. Again, perhaps this is the norm for the genre, but I'm more attracted to 3D models than just "portraits". The same Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, a game from 20 years ago, even now looks and feels more pleasant due to 3D models. Plus, the design of some of the monsters somehow doesn't quite fit into the setting. In some locations you meet such monsters that you get the impression that they were made for a completely different game in a different setting. In general, I did not like the design of most of the monsters for the reason written earlier. Of course, I understand that the studio makes niche products and their budget is very limited, but I would like to see from them at least one game in this genre with full 3D graphics and design of monsters that would fit the setting of the game. I liked the mechanics with flowers, especially with monflowers.
The game, by the way, is pretty easy. The only problem I had with the final boss, but the reason for this was that I ran almost the entire game with the equipment farmed at the very beginning. 99% of battles (except for the final boss) are fought on auto battle. Also "switch boost" is a pretty funny thing.

I would give the game 7/10. A good and interesting game that does not have enough budget, plus the plot has not yet been fully revealed.

Play Elminage: Gothic.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished Strange Journey Redux. It's a fun FPP crawler with a great setting and characters, fast paced gameplay and a bitching OST. One of the top SMTs for me. The Redux content felt a bit meh More bosses to fight and demons to fuse is always nice, but it's obvious that the devs were trying hard to squeeze as much game time per Womb of Grief floor as possible, which lead to them all having this over-hyphenated time wasting design to them. You're constantly looping back to the starting point and then schlepping all the way back to where you were before and try stepping on a different tile/opening a different one-way-door to see if this one gets you closer to your destination or if it just loops you back to the starting point again. I feel like the base game was long enough with good pacing. They tried too hard to make the new content last long instead of curating it to be unique and fun.

One thing that also divided people were the new sub-app commander abilities, but I quite liked them. They gave the main character some extra flavor that helped underline that you're a soldier who is acting more as a sergeant of a fireteam giving your demons support rather than being the strongest guy in your team. The strongest Commander ability is the one to give your party ailment immunity for 3 turns. The other ones while nice never felt like they won me any fights that I wasn't going to win anyway. Everything that's new in the Redux version can be ignored if you want, save for the new character portraits.

I went with the Chaos route and shot for the new Redux ending. One thing I didn't like was that I had to fight Mem Aleph. This new Chaos route made the alignment route feel less unique to me, but I guess it's nice to have an option to fight against Mem with a Chaos aligned party as well. The ending itself I suppose was nice. Also a point of contention for others, but for me it was satisfying. Earth gets reverted back to a more primal Conan the Barbarian-esque world where demons and humans co-exist, which is fine by me. The one and only thing I really didn't like about SJ, which was a criticism I had for it back in its original DS release, was how they handled fusion inheritances and Demon Sources being a pain in the ass to collect, especially copies of used ones. Nothing else to complain. I think I like Demon co-op way more than Press Turn as well.

Overall I don't think there's a right or wrong answer for which version is better: the original or Redux. I still have my original physical copy of SJ and I'm probably just as likely to take it out for a replay in the future as I am likely I'll revisit Redux.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Good review, people jumped too fast on the hate bandwagon of SJ Redux but it's clear 90% of them never played it and even less played the original. SJ Redux gave me my wife Demeter so i like it.
29uU6tn.jpeg

NotYukiko wasn't as intrusive as people made it out to be and the voice acting was good, Meme Aleph was more tolerable this time around thanks to the protag commander skills, the Womb was a good dungeon too. My best guess is that people want to pretend to be LE EDGY OLDFAG complaining about the lack of Kaneko like it would bring down the whole package.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Good review, people jumped too fast on the hate bandwagon of SJ Redux but it's clear 90% of them never played it and even less played the original. SJ Redux gave me my wife Demeter so i like it.
29uU6tn.jpeg

NotYukiko wasn't as intrusive as people made it out to be and the voice acting was good, Meme Aleph was more tolerable this time around thanks to the protag commander skills, the Womb was a good dungeon too. My best guess is that people want to pretend to be LE EDGY OLDFAG complaining about the lack of Kaneko like it would bring down the whole package.
:avatard:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
29uU6tn.jpeg

BEGONE HARLOT
latest

Edit: I like Alex tho. Her story was pretty decent in New neutral.

jrpglover

Novice
So i tried a few games, unfortunately I didn't like any of them...

Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition (4 / 10) - I know about the sad history of the development of this game. Unfortunately, the final product was not very good. To begin with, I didn't like the setting of the game, but that's subjective. I like seeing the FF series more in a medieval setting. I didn't like the car trip part. I didn't like the combat system, and especially the way they ended up doing the magic. I had the feeling that they were trying to make a WRPG, not a JRPG. Before starting to play, I watched the movie Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV, so I had no problems understanding the plot, but at the same time, the plot seemed to me average, although in some places it was interesting. It's a pity, of course, so many years of development and such a budget, but in the end we have this ...

Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory (0 / 10) - Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria is one of my all-time favorite games. The only reason I decided to play Fallen Legion is the similar combat system. Unfortunately, the game is a failure in all places. Horrible visuals, horrible combat system, horrible storyline, anyway, but maybe this is the norm for indie games (I hate indie games). I would like to return my time that I spent on this game.

Lost Dimension (5 / 10) - Quite a good game for itself, though I didn't like the setting, but overall it is a pleasure. The portability is of course immediately striking. The plot is interesting, the gameplay is also good. As a result, we have an average game that you can enjoy.

Rogue Galaxy (6 / 10) - This is my second attempt to love this game after so many years ... The plot is not bad, the game has a lot of mechanics, nice graphics, many playable characters, looks like the Japanese version of Star Wars. The main drawback of the game is perhaps the combat system. After you get your first AoE skill, you will simply run from point A to point B, using this AoE skill and drinking MP potions between fights. Random encounters occur every 3-5 seconds. After a few hours of this kind of gameplay, you just get tired and want to quit this game as soon as possible. This time I reached the planet Alistia and abandoned it.

Puukko

Arcane
Not entirely sure I'd classify this as an RPG, it's more of a strategy/puzzle thing, but I grabbed Deception 4 on a whim to see how well it would emulate (the answer being more or less perfectly, to my eye) and I'm definitely enjoying it. I imagine most people here will have seen at least some gameplay of this series but likely haven't tried it.

The idea is to use traps in an arena to kill enemies with elaborate combos. They all have weaknesses and strengths to certain types of traps as well as fun little backstories to give them personality.

Clearing the stage is usually simple, but you get extra challenges that unlock new traps/better versions of existing ones so you definitely wanna do those. Kill two enemies with one combo, combine these traps in one combo, so on. There are also map specific traps that get really creative, like a brass bull, chandelier, stone chariot that rides around, church organs that fall down etc.

Oh yeah and you can break the heavily clad women down to their skimpy underwear, just before using a toilet to launch them inside the brass bull to be boiled alive. You know, the usual.

Base-Profile-Screenshot-2021-12-24-00-40-23-58.png

jrpglover

Novice
Disgaea 5 Complete (7/10) - I finally finished the story mode. It took me about 30 hours.

I have known about the series for a long time, but I have never tried to play it, so this was my first Disgaea. The game has a simple plot with different cliches, such as the power of friendship, the main villain who wants to destroy the world, etc. But because of the simple but good humor, the plot does not get bored as you progress through the game. Despite the visual, the plot seems to be very dark and tragic in places, but mostly humor and the victory of the power of friendship prevail. The game has a simple, yet interesting combat system with different mechanics that will keep you from getting bored. The game has a huge number of different mechanics that are not needed in the story mode, but are necessary in postgame. Objectively the game is very good and probably deserves 8-9 points out of 10, but subjectively I don't like how chaotic it is, sandbox lovers will love it. Postgame in the game can be described in two words: "grind for the sake of grind". The story mode is not difficult, it is quick and easy to pass. I grinded only for 30-60 minutes in episode 15, in 2-1 with "unopened soda trick", gained 8 levels for 1 use of unopened soda (this method, although effective, but rather boring because of the monotony, so I stopped at 400 character level). In short, the game will appeal to those who like sandboxes, who like to break the game and who like to grind. Postgame can take over 100 hours, but it will take a lot of grinding. The game really lacks the auto-battle mode.

Now I'm thinking of playing The World Ends with You: Final Remix, I even specially bought a stylus for it (judging by the reviews, the controls in it are terrible and it's better not to play without a stylus at all, otherwise it's very likely to abandon it in the first hours). Didn't play the original because I didn't have a Nintendo DS. I hope the game is really as good as people write about it.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Finished the Legend of Mana HD Remaster. It was great, head and shoulders above the Secret of Mana and Trial of Mana remakes. So charming, lovely, wholesome and fun. Quite short unfortunately, only 45 hours to beat, but this is the kind of game you want to replay a few times to experience all its content.
The gameplay's pretty good, however it's just too damn easy on the first playthrough. There's NG+ with higher difficulties, but come on, it would've been so nice to be able to change difficulty the first time you play the game. I didn't even try to trivialize the game and still ended up doing so.
You start off with a few basic abilities such as Jump, Defend, Crouch etc and you unlock new abilities by combining available ones. For example you can use Crouch and Jump for a number of battles and eventually you'll unlock High Jump and so on. You can also add an attack to most abilities and for example do a backflip attack or a jump attack and that kind of stuff. Abilities are nice and neat, but they pale in comparison to Special Techniques. These Special Techniques aren't always guaranteed to hit as some of them have a rather low range and a pretty long charge time, but if they do connect then they can one shot bosses at times. Every weapon type has its own special techniques, somewhere around 15 to 18 or so per weapon and you unlock them by, you guessed it, combining Abilities and using them in combat. If you want to unlock every Special Technique for every weapon then you're in for quite a lot of fighting. You also have magic abilities, but I didn't really use them that much, though the way magic works is pretty neat. You play various musical instruments to attract the attention of elementals and receive magical coins from them. You then use those magical coins to create new and more powerful musical instruments with random magic abilities.
Boss fights are quite numerous and some of them are quite a spectacle. Sadly, quite a few fights get reused and since the game is so easy the first time you play it, you'll only have a hard time with a handful of them at most. It's really quite ridiculous how quickly you can wipe out some of the more grandiose bosses. Seriously, some bosses that are at the end of lengthy quest chains can be brought low with just ONE special technique.
There's also some surprisingly complex crafting in this game. Throughout your travels you'll come across all sorts of materials that you can use to craft weapons and armor and then augment and strengthen them. You can increase the elemental levels of equipment, add new abilities and effects to it, but you have to be careful while upgrading because some components might lower the item's attributes and so on. I haven't done that much blacksmithing, just doubled the damage on a weapon from a secret encounter, but from what I've read, you can raise your weapon damage to 999 or more. My only issue with it is that the animation for upgrading equipment is a tad lengthy and you can't skip it, so if you do decide to go nuclear with upgrades, you'll likely end up spending quite a few hours just looking at the same animation over and over. You can also create your own golems to aid you in combat. Didn't really spend that much time with it, I just made one golem that acted as a healing item dispenser. It's some pretty complex stuff if you decide to create the perfect golem, but I didn't really see the point on the first playthrough since it's so easy.
There's some light farming elements to this game in the form of the orchard behind your house. You give the magic tree seeds and it'll grow you all sorts of cute fruits and vegetables shaped like animals and objects. You can use the produce from the orchard in crafting or use it to capture pets and then feed them at your monster corral. All the produce has its own stats and personality attributes, so you can come up with a special diet to turn your favorite pets into aggressive bulldozers of death or whatever else you desire. There's also some mini-game where you can send your pets to acquire items, but I didn't bother with it at all. One attempt at playing it was enough for me to drop it for good. Didn't care for it one bit.
Now the game's map is pretty great. You choose where to start your adventure and then you obtain various artifacts from quests and exploration. Those artifacts are used to create new locations and pretty much everyone's journey throughout the game will be different as you get quite a few of them early on. Each zone also has its own mana levels that increase with new adjacent additions to the map. Those mana levels influence monster levels, NPC and pet spawns, quest availability and so on. You're really encouraged to explore a lot as all sorts of new quests, encounters and NPCs to interact with appear with each new zone that gets unlocked.
Anyway, the game's cast is absolutely amazing. It's all so lovely, superb and fun. The character designs are perfect. Simply perfect. Just about every NPC in this game is a bundle of laughs and joy. Had only one issue with the character design, but I'll get to that later.
Graphics are solid. Beautiful backgrounds and tubular sprites. Read that quite a few people had issues with the sprites not being touched up at all, but I didn't find that to be an issue. They're well done, crisp and clear and don't really clash with the backgrounds, what more do you want?
The soundtrack is just so beautiful. It's leagues above Secret and Trials. I didn't have any issues with it like the other games. No tracks made me feel as if I'd go insane after listening to them for more than a few minutes and I didn't feel the need to switch back to the original soundtrack.
Alright, the story... I love it and it just works... provided you're autistic or follow a guide. There are quite a few lengthy character arcs that all have grand finales and you can do them all in whatever order you want. There are also quite a good deal of normal quests that are a lot of fun. Also the tone and just overall feel of some of these quests is quite surreal, and that's a good thing, obviously. So why do you have to be autistic or follow a guide? Well it's due to the map system and how easy it is to miss or lock yourself out of quests. If you want to get as many quests done as you can without following a guide then get ready to revisit each and every single map after every single quest. That's what I did between every quest and I still missed a good deal of them, though thankfully none of the character arcs. I understand that this can easily turn some people off, being locked out of a lot content for not revisiting areas constantly and many might just say nuts to it and use a guide, but I think it's great. It honestly feels like an adventure. You don't know what people, what monsters, what riches, what wonders await you out there. Haven't had this feeling of wanderlust while playing a game in quite a while.
So, yea, now this is a fucking game. An exquisite ride. A REAL adventure. Definitely going to play this again on NG+ on the higher difficulties to, hopefully, experience all the content I missed the first time.

Right, now I mentioned an issue with the character design and it's about the hero. At first I thought he was a flat musclegirl due to the hair and the attire. Seriously, see for yourself, I can't be the only one who thought this, right?

XI93gTk.jpg

I mean now that I know the truth, it's obvious, but the first time I saw this I unironically believed that it was a muscled up lass with an attitude.

Oh and one last thing, Sierra the beast girl? Just realized while playing this that she's the character from those Sindoll kemono doujins. That's pretty cool, especially that one doujin where she fucks her brother after discovering his secret stash of brother & sister incest porn books.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Kalin's Prison is a good game

When viewed from the surface it seems like a simple gang bang game.
I don't mind that. But the actual gameplay has some depth and variation of actual 'builds'.

Try the Demo, it actually gives almost half of the entire game content to try out.

Chimera

Augur
A good friend sent me a copy of Dragon Quest XI S for Christmas via Steam and, having reached the desert after dabbling with the game for a few days, my thoughts are profoundly conflicted...

On the one hand: I find the presentation aesthetically appealing, charming in a similar sense to the Ni no Kuni titles, the symphonic arrangments are pleasant and the combat has a distinctly nostalgic element that neatly compensates for the grind.

On the other: for a contemporary game that was ported by one of the most prolific and successful developers in the world, to say nothing of being a "definitive" edition, there are copious features that detract from the quality-of-life experience.

1) Why isn't there a dedicated EXIT button anywhere in the main or in-game menu? I am forced to Alt+F4 every time and, judging by the pop-up, this was the intended course of action.

2) Why does accepting or turning in a quest demand such long musical flourishes that result in a ten-second delay? It is so grating to have my time deliberately wasted, there's no sense of accompanying elation and I find myself consistently mashing the keys hoping it will just skip ahead and allow me to resume playing. Yes, I beat the quest, I know: I am the one who did it after all. Just get on with it!

3) Why can't I save at whim? Or, should this "speak to a priest" DQ trope need to remain, why is the process so needlessly convoluted? Speak to the priest, click through frivolous chatter, click Confession, confirm you actually intended to do so, confirm slot, click through additional needless dialogue, wait for save to complete, confirm you wish to continue playing, click through MORE dialogue and be returned to the priest's menu, exit menu. Why?! What was wrong with "click F5" for a quicksave or "open main menu, click save, confirm." A process that typically demands anywhere from less-than-one to three seconds takes thirty or more in DQ11.

4) Why is every key prompt for a controller? That sort of laziness is abhorrent.

5) Why do none of my choices matter? This is beyond Bioware-levels of false diverging paths, I have literally been railroaded within the initial few hours into accepting requests and having a character I dislike join my group. Were it satirical I'd laugh, as repeatedly hitting "No" and having this cliche "sassy older woman in a child's body" respond endlessly with a dismissive remark about the wind would be hilarious. As is, it's sincerely annoying. If "yes" means "yes" and "no" means "try again, pick yes" don't offer the choice.

6) Crafting based entirely on RNG. I cannot accurately predict the result of striking a sector in this, for lack of a better term, minigame. Nor do I see the point of grinding mobs in hopes of acquiring the materials they appear to drop with 1-in-1000 odds for the sake of a middling increase in my attack or defense value. Who designed this and thought it was a brilliant idea to restrict your ability to forge items with any degree of precision?

7) Why the stark transition from day to night? The first time control over the camera and my character alike was ripped away so my view could swivel skyward I thought I'd failed something critical, that my party had perished and I was about to see a "game over" screen. Why else would you abruptly be deprived of any volition? But, no, it's just a bizarre design decision to transition instantly between night and day.

On the whole, I am enjoying the gameplay courtesy of the whimsical art and rather tongue-in-cheek monsters, but mechanically it leaves much to be desired.

Puukko

Arcane
I played OG XI for some number of hours and had an alright time, but the combat I found to be way too simple. The level of challenge on hard(?) was very good, but there just wasn't much there.

Have you checked if there are any mods to remedy those issues? Back when I played the game, I installed just one, which was to... alter Jade's costume. No exaggeration, half of the mods at the time were costume swaps for her in differing stages of undress. Alas, I didn't get far enough in to actually meet her. :negative:

I checked and the most popular mod is a character restoration mod. Apparently the "definitive" version has lower quality assets? Knowing Squeenix, that doesn't surprise me at all.

dacencora

The S stands for Switch, as in, the enhanced port for the Switch that had down-graded models/polys because the Switch isn't powerful enough for the XI that released for consoles and PCs. However, it came with a bunch of QOL improvements and the ability to play it in 16-bit mode, so it's kind of a strange thing. It probably is the definitive version of the game, except not visually. When they released the S version for PC, they retained the lower-poly stuff from the Switch. Good to know there's mods that restore it. I wonder if there are mods to restore the higher-poly foliage and grass and stuff.

Chimera

Augur
I hadn't considered that any mods might exist to remedy those issues, merely as JRPG modding scenes are typically quite lackluster.

Turns out, they managed to go 1-for-7 on my complaints: there's a mod to swap the controller prompts to those for a keyboard.

That much aside, I picked up a mod to restore high-quality models for the party and major NPCs, several portions of the level geometry, augment or replace the vegetation and alter the lighting to be more saturated. Also went with upscaled 4K textures for the art, new dynamic lighting and 4K/60fps cutscenes.

I was similarly unaware this version had been so neutered. Apparently this port was derived from the Nintendo Switch version with no consideration for the eminently greater flexibility and resources of a PC.

...also grabbed two costume mods for Jade. Have yet to meet her, but that bunny costume is too appealing to pass over. :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom