Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Falksi

Arcane
That does explain a lot Carpincho Pampeano

I mean I knew it happened, but I didn't think it was that rife. I've lost count of the amount of people who have incorrectly claimed that Chrono Trigger invented combo attacks, just coz they read it somewhere :lol:

Carpincho Pampeano

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I mean I knew it happened, but I didn't think it was that rife. I've lost count of the amount of people who have incorrectly claimed that Chrono Trigger invented combo attacks, just coz they read it somewhere :lol:
I could add more to that, i see it when i hang with the kids at uni. Playing video games is just another part of social life and for many of them an obligation, have you seen in the last few years the push for retarded easy mode justifies as "accessbility options"? Is something that you see on most of Soyny games, is for them, they don't want to be left out of social circles so they want to be over with whatever is hot at the momment as soon as possible and start whatever everyone will be talking about next week. You know those people that binge shows on Netflix and start another right after? Apply it to video games.

Machocruz

Arcane
It isn't about SNES vs. Genesis specifically. To me, PS1 was the 'ultimate' JRPG console, I never completed so many as I did on that console. Maybe it was a phase. For others it's PS2. Switch is gaining ground in a lot of people's minds. Consider hardware capabilities; there were RPGs that SNES just couldn't do, like King's Field, Dragon's Dogma, or Vagrant Story. How can you be the ultimate JRPG console and you can't even have Vagrant Story in your catalog??

Don't get me started on the lack of historical perspective so many people have, especially those that are strictly console players.

Some people believe Japan invented RPGs in toto lol. GG Mr. Gygax, you're just a hack fraud.

Remember how "revolutionary" Oblivion was, in reviews? Even though it didn't do anything Daggerfall and Morrowind didn't and less than they did.

Bioshock invented audio logs.

Legend of Zelda was the first open world game.

There's the infamous "games were turn-based because of technical limitations" meme that millenials and zoomers heard from a journo or some disingenuous game dev., as if real-time action wasn't around even longer with even more limitations present.

PC games only get credit to the extent that normies have heard of them. "Is this like Diablo?" is the most common comment you'll see for an isometric game of any kind. I read someone refer to JA2 as "Diablo with guns."

Fuck this gay Earth.

Carpincho Pampeano

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've been playing the new fire emblem musou game since it leaked, game has a lot of strategy and i would argue it's harder than harder that three houses. If a games me me think "Oh i wish i could continue playing but i gotta go do x" it means the game is good, usually one or two games made me feel like that every year, this is the first one this year.

Top Bottom