Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

n0wh3r3

Educated
Dragon Quest VI is a joy to play on mobile.

n0wh3r3

Educated
I don't know if I should go further with The Alliance Alive. I am a little more than 10 h in (right before the Bastille) and the difficulty doesn't improve. I like everything besides that there is practically no challenge. It is almost a visual novel. Any suggestions?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if I should go further with The Alliance Alive. I am a little more than 10 h in (right before the Bastille) and the difficulty doesn't improve. I like everything besides that there is practically no challenge. It is almost a visual novel. Any suggestions?
If difficulty is an issue, play Romancing SaGa 3, SaGa Frontier, or Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I started playing Persona 5 (original) again. I don't think I ever finished it back when it first came out. Typically I hate anime shit but there's something cool about this game. It oozes style from top to bottom, like literally every few seconds it's doing something that's visually impressive and the music is great. It helps that the turn based combat is a bit more interesting than in other jRPGs. I dig it.

The dialogue is pretty hit or miss though. Sometimes it's laugh out loud hilarious and other times it reeks of cringe anime style schmaltz.

n0wh3r3

Educated
If difficulty is an issue, play Romancing SaGa 3, SaGa Frontier, or Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song.
I have played Minstrel Song and Romancing Saga 3 is in my library with SaGa Frontier. Now I am also on Emerald Beyond and SaGa Frontier 2. I'd just like to know what to do with The Alliance Alive.
Anyway difficulty is not the first thing I think about when choosing a game, but this one is laughably easy.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I started playing Persona 5 (original) again. I don't think I ever finished it back when it first came out. Typically I hate anime shit but there's something cool about this game. It oozes style from top to bottom, like literally every few seconds it's doing something that's visually impressive and the music is great. It helps that the turn based combat is a bit more interesting than in other jRPGs. I dig it.

The dialogue is pretty hit or miss though. Sometimes it's laugh out loud hilarious and other times it reeks of cringe anime style schmaltz.
Check out Shin Megami Tensei V Vengeance when you get a chance. Take the combat and customization of Persona 5 and multiply it by 2-3. It's fantastic. Ball-bustingly difficult on Hard mode sometimes too. Much more focus on gameplay rather than tons of dialogue.

If you end up liking V Vengeance, I'd highly encourage you to check out SMT III Nocturne afterwards.

Last edited:

n0wh3r3

Educated
Started Mary Skelter 2. Just built HQ. Liking it very much until this moment. The story is very intriguing. Anyone else played it?

Suicidal

Arcane
Started Mary Skelter 2. Just built HQ. Liking it very much until this moment. The story is very intriguing. Anyone else played it?
I played MS 1 and thought it was kinda shit so never bothered with 2. Is it any better?

deuxhero

Arcane
deuxhero thanks for the info, then I guess I'll wait till I have the first ultimate persona of whatever arcana, register it, make the weapon, check it out then buy the persona again
Cu Chulainn only needs level 40, and it's very good for when you get it (260 attack when normal spears won't have 200, plus has evade wind ).

While unique+black frost are by far the best, the fusion weapons are comparatively powerful to what you normally get, especially if you know the breakpoints (the weapon's stats are based on which level range the Persona falls into, with no variance within that range. Level ranges start at 17, 26, 32, 39, 47, 55, 60, 65, and 70). Also since you're playing P3P, Atavaka, Kartikeya, Alilat, and Skadi get unique weapon fusions as well.

https://gamefaqs.com/boards/937269-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/42468519

n0wh3r3

Educated
I played MS 1 and thought it was kinda shit so never bothered with 2. Is it any better?
Mary Skelter 2 is actually Mary Skelter Nightmares + Mary Skelter 2. In my opinion is one of the most unique drpg that I ever played (not played a lot) with many interesting systems. Also the story is captivating. Why did you hate it?

Check out Shin Megami Tensei V Vengeance when you get a chance. Take the combat and customization of Persona 5 and multiply it by 2-3. It's fantastic. Ball-bustingly difficult on Hard mode sometimes too. Much more focus on gameplay rather than tons of dialogue.

If you end up liking V Vengeance, I'd highly encourage you to check out SMT III Nocturne afterwards.

Honestly, I'm finding the 'social' aspect of SMTV Vengeance more enjoyable than most of the Persona games, on top of all that.

The incidental conversations you have with your demons in the Pocket Plane grotto where you get to speak with them are more enjoyable than talking to high school kids in the Persona games. Maybe it'll lose its charm in subsequent playthroughs, but each and every demon seems to have a lot of dialogue, and differing dialogue depending on which region you're speaking to them. I'm only in the second world, and there've already been demons I've held off on fusing almost out of guilt- either due to how charming they are in conversations or because they've just been helpful in key moments. I kept Pellaidh on my team well beyond his expiration date due to this.

I have a tendency to cheat myself money in all of the SMT and persona games so I can keep my player level low, while being able to strengthen my demons with unbridled fusions without care of the compendium costs and leverage their builds instead. It'll be interesting to take the starter demons to the later stages of the game and see if they have unique dialogue there.

JoacoN

Literate
deuxhero thanks for the info, then I guess I'll wait till I have the first ultimate persona of whatever arcana, register it, make the weapon, check it out then buy the persona again
Cu Chulainn only needs level 40, and it's very good for when you get it (260 attack when normal spears won't have 200, plus has evade wind ).

While unique+black frost are by far the best, the fusion weapons are comparatively powerful to what you normally get, especially if you know the breakpoints (the weapon's stats are based on which level range the Persona falls into, with no variance within that range. Level ranges start at 17, 26, 32, 39, 47, 55, 60, 65, and 70). Also since you're playing P3P, Atavaka, Kartikeya, Alilat, and Skadi get unique weapon fusions as well.

https://gamefaqs.com/boards/937269-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/42468519
Thanks a lot for the info man, most of the links bout this stuff I found are either really old by other newbies or just recommending some wiki, so this cleared up a lot of stuff

Suicidal

Arcane
Mary Skelter 2 is actually Mary Skelter Nightmares + Mary Skelter 2. In my opinion is one of the most unique drpg that I ever played (not played a lot) with many interesting systems. Also the story is captivating. Why did you hate it?
Wouldn't say I hated it but I didn't find it fun. It's been a long time, but I remember not liking the combat (too few enemy types, no interesting boss encounters, the way roaming monsters work is nonsensical (they get their turns in real time), too easy to just stack debuffs and reduce the damage of whatever you are fighting to one), the character building options weren't that interesting and the game was just too easy in general. I remember liking a few ideas they had (traversal powers, managing your characters' insanity bars) but overall it was boring.

Last edited:

n0wh3r3

Educated
Wouldn't say I hated it but I didn't find it fun. It's been a long time, but I remember not liking the combat (too few enemy types, no interesting boss encounters, the way roaming monsters work is nonsensical (they get their turns in real time), too easy to just stack debuffs and reduce the damage of whatever you are fighting to one), the character building options weren't that interesting and the game was just too easy in general. I remember liking a few ideas they had (traversal powers, managing your characters' insanity bars) but overall it was boring.
Wow this a lot! While I can agree - from my initial impressions - on some points, would you mind tell me which other DRPGs you have played so I can get what your comparison standard is? I am not that experienced with the genre.

Suicidal

Arcane
Wow this a lot! While I can agree - from my initial impressions - on some points, would you mind tell me which other DRPGs you have played so I can get what your comparison standard is? I am not that experienced with the genre.
If we're talking Japanese blobbers, an easy comparison, and one that MS seems to take a lot of inspiration from, is Etrian Odyssey. I think EO is better than MS in almost every way. Better combat, more challenging enemies, more interesting dungeon designs, even if EO does lack MS's traversal skills, more interesting party building, more difficult overall.

n0wh3r3

Educated
If we're talking Japanese blobbers, an easy comparison, and one that MS seems to take a lot of inspiration from, is Etrian Odyssey. I think EO is better than MS in almost every way. Better combat, more challenging enemies, more interesting dungeon designs, even if EO does lack MS's traversal skills, more interesting party building, more difficult overall.
Just bought Mary Skelter 2 and Finale, Etrian Odysssey HD Collection, Saviors of Sapphire Wings & Stranger of Sword City Revisited. My choice fell on Mary Skelter 2 as it looked like a good starting point. Being more story focused I could see myself wanting more instead of dropping it before even playing it at its full potential. What do you think about my choice and purchases?

Suicidal

Arcane
Just bought Mary Skelter 2 and Finale, Etrian Odysssey HD Collection, Saviors of Sapphire Wings & Stranger of Sword City Revisited. My choice fell on Mary Skelter 2 as it looked like a good starting point. Being more story focused I could see myself wanting more instead of dropping it before even playing it at its full potential. What do you think about my choice and purchases?
Well if you're new to the genre maybe MS would actually be a better starting point since it's easier and not too autistic. EO games are good but they are very samey, so I don't recommend binging them all one after another. You'll get sick of them. I play a different EO game every 1-2 years and by then they feel fresh enough to not get boring. Stranger of Sword City is ok. Haven't played Sapphire Wings.

n0wh3r3

Educated
Well if you're new to the genre maybe MS would actually be a better starting point since it's easier and not too autistic. EO games are good but they are very samey, so I don't recommend binging them all one after another. You'll get sick of them. I play a different EO game every 1-2 years and by then they feel fresh enough to not get boring. Stranger of Sword City is ok. Haven't played Sapphire Wings.
But does MS get better? I just beat the water dungeon and there is practically no challenge... I do not know if it is me or what, but I tend to get bored easily of games. This would be the third in a row I would drop without completing it. At this point I am starting to wonder if I am able to choose games at all or if they are still for me. Maybe not. What do you think?

MS has been such a chore to play, because after the prologue the challenge vanished. I can just spam attack and destroy any normal foes. While the 3 stage boss battle took me less than 5 minutes... :negative:

Suicidal

Arcane
But does MS get better? I just beat the water dungeon and there is practically no challenge... I do not know if it is me or what, but I tend to get bored easily of games. This would be the third in a row I would drop without completing it. At this point I am starting to wonder if I am able to choose games at all or if they are still for me. Maybe not. What do you think?

MS has been such a chore to play, because after the prologue the challenge vanished. I can just spam attack and destroy any normal foes. While the 3 stage boss battle took me less than 5 minutes... :negative:
Well I did say it was boring, now you see why :lol:

n0wh3r3

Educated

:smug:

I'll go as farther as I can, anyway. Let's see if it improves. DRPG are not for me, maybe? Or Etrian Odyssey is an entire different beast?

n0wh3r3

Educated
Anyone played Mato Aomalies? It doesn't seem to be so bad as it has been reviewed. Is somebody missing something or is Mato Anomalies just a bad game?

Suicidal

Arcane

I'll go as farther as I can, anyway. Let's see if it improves. DRPG are not for me, maybe? Or Etrian Odyssey is an entire different beast?
Well as I said EO is better in nearly everything. Since you said you've already bought the collection might as well give it a shot. Out of the ones I've played so far, I liked 3 the most.

n0wh3r3

Educated

Well as I said EO is better in nearly everything. Since you said you've already bought the collection might as well give it a shot. Out of the ones I've played so far, I liked 3 the most.
When and if I'll get tired of Mary Skelter (my initial plan was to play through the entire trilogy, that's right, I also bought Mary Skelter Finale) I'll jump on Etrian Odyssey as my next DRPG. But not as my next game. Better to take a break from the genre to not get burnt out. What are you playing these days?

Suicidal

Arcane

When and if I'll get tired of Mary Skelter (my initial plan was to play through the entire trilogy, that's right, I also bought Mary Skelter Finale) I'll jump on Etrian Odyssey as my next DRPG. But not as my next game. Better to take a break from the genre to not get burnt out. What are you playing these days?
Mostly Gothic and Elden Ring DLC atm. I'm also finishing Etrian Odyssey 3 myself. I already beat the game, but I want to kill the optional superboss but he's not very well balanced and requires a certain type of party to kill so I had to make some new characters.

n0wh3r3

Educated
When I think that I have interrupted my The Last Remnant playthrough to play The Alliance Alive I wanna kill myself.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom