Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Puukko

Arcane
I'll be grabbing SMTVV soon enough, but between that and having cleared the Elden Ring expansion, I'm dabbling in some Caligula Effect 2. This is one of those niche JRPGs with a small but autistic dedicated fanbase. It's Hatsune Miku's Wonderland where everybody is carrying a dozen people's worth of baggage.

I never played the first game, and as I understand Overdose made some unsavoury changes, so there's like the one game I could see myself trying out Vita emulation for down the line.

The game so far is heavily carried by its style and especially soundtrack. On a technical level it's sub par at best, with very stiff and repetitive animations, models that are a bit off, and janky cutscenes. I don't know if this even qualifies as AA, more like A+. It's the sort of stuff you just overlook for the actual meat of the game.

The combat has potential but comes with some annoyances I can only hope get sorted later. It's ATB with semi-free movement and area-based attacks. You can delay your attacks to counter enemies and get a bigger party wide hit counter. You can even see the outcome of an attack beforehand. Thing is, the ATB gauge when doing so moves slooow and in real time meaning that when you test if delaying an attack by 5 seconds has the best outcome, nope, make that 6 seconds, repeat, you have to wait every time before it shows the outcome. Furthermore, for comboing you'd want to fine tune each party member in tandem, but once you've locked in one character, you can't change it anymore, so you may change to another character and realize a small tweak on the other would have been perfect, but now you've just got to wing it. I'm very early in the game so it could be these things get addressed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Technical note, I couldn't get most changes in ini files to work with this game, so I just grabbed the UE4 unlocker and used the console to tweak the resolution scale since even at 4K with maximum AA the jaggies were pretty bad. It's prone to turning the game into an unplayble stuttery mess depending on the phase of the moon if I try anything else, but attempting to improve games until they break is exactly up my alley. Also, grab the translated lyrics in battle mod from Nexus, it's a bit hard to read depending on the scenario but definitely worth it.

n0wh3r3

Educated
I'll be grabbing SMTVV soon enough, but between that and having cleared the Elden Ring expansion, I'm dabbling in some Caligula Effect 2. This is one of those niche JRPGs with a small but autistic dedicated fanbase. It's Hatsune Miku's Wonderland where everybody is carrying a dozen people's worth of baggage.

I never played the first game, and as I understand Overdose made some unsavoury changes, so there's like the one game I could see myself trying out Vita emulation for down the line.

The game so far is heavily carried by its style and especially soundtrack. On a technical level it's sub par at best, with very stiff and repetitive animations, models that are a bit off, and janky cutscenes. I don't know if this even qualifies as AA, more like A+. It's the sort of stuff you just overlook for the actual meat of the game.

The combat has potential but comes with some annoyances I can only hope get sorted later. It's ATB with semi-free movement and area-based attacks. You can delay your attacks to counter enemies and get a bigger party wide hit counter. You can even see the outcome of an attack beforehand. Thing is, the ATB gauge when doing so moves slooow and in real time meaning that when you test if delaying an attack by 5 seconds has the best outcome, nope, make that 6 seconds, repeat, you have to wait every time before it shows the outcome. Furthermore, for comboing you'd want to fine tune each party member in tandem, but once you've locked in one character, you can't change it anymore, so you may change to another character and realize a small tweak on the other would have been perfect, but now you've just got to wing it. I'm very early in the game so it could be these things get addressed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Technical note, I couldn't get most changes in ini files to work with this game, so I just grabbed the UE4 unlocker and used the console to tweak the resolution scale since even at 4K with maximum AA the jaggies were pretty bad. It's prone to turning the game into an unplayble stuttery mess depending on the phase of the moon if I try anything else, but attempting to improve games until they break is exactly up my alley. Also, grab the translated lyrics in battle mod from Nexus, it's a bit hard to read depending on the scenario but definitely worth it.

So should I devote my time to this? I have it on my shelf and actually tried to play it the other day but I couldn't even get past the introduction (uninteresting IMHO). Does it get better?

Puukko

Arcane

So should I devote my time to this? I have it on my shelf and actually tried to play it the other day but I couldn't even get past the introduction (uninteresting IMHO). Does it get better?

Way too early for me to say, but the premise of the game becomes apparent pretty quickly, and if that is uninteresting to you...

n0wh3r3

Educated
Paused all my playthroughs to play through Dragon Quest XI S and, oh boy... I think I am falling in love with this game lol :hug:

alexthegreat

Literate
I am going through FF6 pixel remake and hoooo boy is it a breath of fresh air. they do not make games like this anymore. The music is amazing and at times sent chills down my spine. All the characters are likable and memorable, and Kefka as a villain is one of the best the series has to offer. I will write a more detailed review for fun once my playthrough is over.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing through Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, and I am enjoying it moire than Awakening, and Fates. This is despite Fates having stronger level layouts. Such is my dislike for the writing in the two games (F and A), that I automatically prefer Echoes. Not that it is free from poor writing...

I'm in act three, and have the ability to swap parties. The game doesn't offer much of a challenge. I had to restart once or twice, mostly because I underestimated the damage output from an enemy, or overestimated the survivability of a unit.

In general, I like the format of the game, even though the older games in the series are still the best. After this one is done, I have both Three Houses and Engage waiting. I know that I will just mash through dialogs on those games, and just focus on battles.

Puukko

Arcane
Playing through Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, and I am enjoying it moire than Awakening, and Fates. This is despite Fates having stronger level layouts. Such is my dislike for the writing in the two games (F and A), that I automatically prefer Echoes. Not that it is free from poor writing...

I'm in act three, and have the ability to swap parties. The game doesn't offer much of a challenge. I had to restart once or twice, mostly because I underestimated the damage output from an enemy, or overestimated the survivability of a unit.

In general, I like the format of the game, even though the older games in the series are still the best. After this one is done, I have both Three Houses and Engage waiting. I know that I will just mash through dialogs on those games, and just focus on battles.
What difficulty are you on? I found Echoes to offer adequate challenge on Hard-Classic, and balancing the two teams added more variety to the usual planning. Some maps took multiple attempts and plenty of RNG finaggling. It's my current FE eternity project though, I believe I was up to chapter 4.

Three Houses isn't so braindead as to not warrant your attention with its story, just that it's undercooked. Engage though... Protect your precious braincells.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doing Hard-Classic. So far, there have been a couple of hairy fights. I had to redo one in the crypt (I think). It was a side quest. I had to class up some dudes, and still redid the fight three or four times. There was one fight in this chapter, where I also overestimated the power of my units. I sent the Pegasus knight sisters to deal with archers, and I would have made it, if not for some unlucky enemy crits.

musouking

Educated
Patron
I'm in act three

delthea1.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I started Undernauts some time ago, and now I feel like a complete moron, because I do not remember what you need to break walls, lol. Pretty chill difficulty, nothing at all like other DRPGs. Currently, trying to wake up the sleeping warden.

Edit: ffs, I forgot the use of flowers

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
It is similar to other strategy games like Tactics Ogre and Dominion. Before each fight you can customize what will the units actions be, as well as priority of target, conditions of activation, etc. You actually have a lot of control over the units actions and there are numerous unit types with unique skills. In fact compared to other games of the same genre like Fire Emblem, squads have more actions at their disposal and offer more options.

The end result really isnt that different of giving orders one by one, and it helps to make combat fast despite having so many units at the same time. If you haven't played much, I'll suggest to give it a bit more time before passing judgement.

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

I agree with everything you said. Caligula 2 combat is a middle ground between the autism of the original Caligula PS Vita release and the dead brained Overdose combat. Katana idol is just too broken, she never left the party for me.

I still listen to the OST of both games from time to time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
With the whole Dragon Quest III body type drama, I thought that I should go back and finish Dragon Quest XI. Fought the serpent close to the Arborian border, and man, that was a fight and a half. I was not expecting that. I had to use all tricks up my sleeve. Without buffs/debuffs, you would be serpent food.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Why is nobody talking about SMTVV? Do you need a copy? Really? Do I have to buy more!?

Eldrin

Novice
Chrono Trigger - still holds up even after all these years. Only game that takes around 10h to complete, but feels like 30h of content - in a very positive way.

Golden Sun - the intro/prologue until you get out of the first village is such a fcking slog...

Puukko

Arcane
I've written about this game before as I played it in chunks over a long time, but I finally finished Scarlet Nexus.

The game goes from good to great in the last third, and much of that is owed to the combat system finally clicking together. Once you gain access to the full party and their associated later bond upgrades, it becomes a lot of fun dealing with all the layers in the combat. The most undercooked aspect I'd say is brain field, as it is a big cooldown... that just massively simplifies combat for about half a minute. Most of the associated upgrades are boring too, boosting EXP gain and such.

The final dungeon pulls no punches, and the final boss is a real treat. Not a wet fart like I've come to expect.

Some story thoughts:

Karen's motivations were undercooked. I don't mean the prospect of going to such lengths for one's love, but we are introduced to Alice late and barely learn anything about her or their relationship. It's not even stated that there is a relationship beyond Karen having a crush on his childhood friend, yet he's willing to make schemes across time for 2000 years and doom the entire world for her. Feels like the meat of that story is missing.

One can certainly do worse than grabbing this on sale to sate a thirst for good animu action.

Elttharion

Learned
I've written about this game before as I played it in chunks over a long time, but I finally finished Scarlet Nexus.

The game goes from good to great in the last third, and much of that is owed to the combat system finally clicking together. Once you gain access to the full party and their associated later bond upgrades, it becomes a lot of fun dealing with all the layers in the combat. The most undercooked aspect I'd say is brain field, as it is a big cooldown... that just massively simplifies combat for about half a minute. Most of the associated upgrades are boring too, boosting EXP gain and such.

The final dungeon pulls no punches, and the final boss is a real treat. Not a wet fart like I've come to expect.

Some story thoughts:

Karen's motivations were undercooked. I don't mean the prospect of going to such lengths for one's love, but we are introduced to Alice late and barely learn anything about her or their relationship. It's not even stated that there is a relationship beyond Karen having a crush on his childhood friend, yet he's willing to make schemes across time for 2000 years and doom the entire world for her. Feels like the meat of that story is missing.

One can certainly do worse than grabbing this on sale to sate a thirst for good animu action.
Kind of a silly thing but I liked how the hideout would be filled with the gifts you gave to your party members.

I remember some of the items and mats for a few of the gifts being a pain in the ass to farm tho.

Also there are a bunch of cool outfits but no swimsuits is a major decline.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
tales of the abyss sucks
the only thing I like is the asshole protag
so railroaded, why even give me the option of exploring if you don't want me to go anywhere
does it get better?
If you're calling him the asshole protag then you aren't that far into the story yet. Does it get better gameplay wise? No. The best part is the character development of the protag imo.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
tales of the abyss sucks
the only thing I like is the asshole protag
so railroaded, why even give me the option of exploring if you don't want me to go anywhere
does it get better?
If you're calling him the asshole protag then you aren't that far into the story yet. Does it get better gameplay wise? No. The best part is the character development of the protag imo.
I said that but I don't think he's an asshole, the first thing I did was type into google "why is tales of the abyss so bad" and it's people complaining the protag has a character instead of being a dweeb
I'll suffer it some more then, I can't help it
He's definitely an asshole at first. I think he was made to be unlikable? It's the setup for his development.

Elttharion

Learned
Thats some very nice enemy design, I almost feel bad beating them

dMtNrtj.jpg

Dungeon Travelers: To Heart 2 in Another World

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom