Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Played through Digimon Survive, now doing the second run for the true route.
It's basically a visual novel with TRPG combat slapped onto it. Visual novel portion is pretty mediocre, more or less a Persona plot except that they are stranded in another world. Some cast members can die, but they are written to be so unsympathetic that you don't really end up caring unless you are enough of a completionist to want to see the true route. I think they could've done a better job writing them to be poorly functional group members without making them insufferable, as you have to go your way to interact with the least likeable characters. As a sidenote, the game has an interesting VN mechanic where you occasionally get a set amount of actions in a scene so you got to choose who you talk to and the scenario changes a little after using some of the actions. So you might have like 5 actions, persons A, B, C and D are initially available, but after talking to two they move out and different people or conversations happen. It's a neat way to break away the linearity and I'd like to see it used in more games.
As for the TRPG portion, it feels like it needed more iteration. The map pool is small and the designs are very basic. Elevation is basically the only environmental interaction, no chokepoints, no environmental hazards and no interactable objects beyond treasure chests. Striking from higher ground gives extra crit chance, but for some reason most attacks can't target if the elevation difference is more than 2, so it feels like a nonfactor. If you don't use attack or item action in a turn you guard from frontal attacks. This effectively makes attacking units that are closing in without attacking invulnerable until you get to flanking range. But once you can hit from side or back, pretty much anything evaporates that doesn't happen to have double resists from element and affinity. Triangle Strategy got the map design and flanking mechanics done so well that this feels substandard. Also equipment slots are limited to one per digimon, which is utterly retarded. The digimon only get autoattack + one monster specific ability and in most situations either a high range high damage ability item or a flat stat booster is better than any other item. There are a lot of utility item options (heal, (de)buff, ailment skills etc.) and elemental resist items, but they are basically never worth using over the alternatives. It's a real shame because if they had tweaked the elevation on the maps, given like 3 inventory slots per character and changed the flanking so that it's more about surrounding than just not hitting from the front, the combat could be pretty good.
It does have a shitton of recruitable digimon, which is neat if you are fan of the franchise. They did a decent job making them feel unique, everyone has a passive and monster specific skill. Not all of the passives or skills are mechanically unique, but they feel distinct enough. However, the battle sprites are pretty low effort and remind me of something I'd see on a mobile game. Wish there was a mechanical reason to use lower evolves further into the game, generic mons stay in their form so they don't have to be digivolved within combat, but it's kinda sad that much of the roster becomes obsolete lategame. All in all I wouldn't recommend it unless you like Digimon enough to go through an average VN.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Played through Digimon Survive, now doing the second run for the true route.
It's basically a visual novel with TRPG combat slapped onto it. Visual novel portion is pretty mediocre, more or less a Persona plot except that they are stranded in another world. Some cast members can die, but they are written to be so unsympathetic that you don't really end up caring unless you are enough of a completionist to want to see the true route. I think they could've done a better job writing them to be poorly functional group members without making them insufferable, as you have to go your way to interact with the least likeable characters.
Everyone can die except Takuma and Minoru (Yes, the kid too). There's 4 routes total.

The two you mean die in every route except true route. You probably got the standard good ending which has only them dying. Having them unsympathetic is also kind of the point here. Takuma ignoring and not getting through to them is the whole point of why they die. If they were just poorly functional group members they'd have at least somewhat grasp in the group and reality and not lose it the way they do. It's the whole point of the Tamer/Digimon dynamic and they're meant to showcase it. It's a physical and mental connection.

Edit: Morality is kind of the shittiest route to be fair.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Tactics Ogre Reborn class system is the drizzling shits. They can shove these marks up their ass. No random battles but hey this one forest has NOTHING BUT THE SAME RANDOM BATTLES. YAY. Still a great game but I am burning out due to this nonsense.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Tactics Ogre Reborn class system is the drizzling shits. They can shove these marks up their ass. No random battles but hey this one forest has NOTHING BUT THE SAME RANDOM BATTLES. YAY. Still a great game but I am burning out due to this nonsense.
This is one of those games where I said fuck it and used cheat engine to skip the parts I don't like. Mostly just giving myself all the classmarks off the bat so I could just play as the lord class from the start. Still got burned out and quit near the end like I did with the psp version. The game is just too long to the point where it overstays it's welcome.

somerandomdude

Learned
I...cannot do that. I am halfway through I think.
I set the speed hack multiplier to x3-x5 on cheat engine on top of having the game's speed boost option enabled. Some battles took as long as 20-30 minutes, you could cut those down to 5-10 with speed hacks. You spend more time watching units move into place, and watching their animations than anything else.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That I cannot argue with. If there were more battle types it would be fine but grinding through trash units to capture ONE GOLEM or FAIRY is killing me.

somerandomdude

Learned
That I cannot argue with. If there were more battle types it would be fine but grinding through trash units to capture ONE GOLEM or FAIRY is killing me.
There's a cheat engine table that has a 100% chance to recruit option. It even works on monster types you can't normally recruit.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Disgaea 5: More like dis-gaya
Best in the series imo. At least it's not the horrific nightmare that was Disgaea 6...
Mechanically it seems to be fun. But everything else is megagay.
I havent played it far yet, but is it true that once i unlock the cheat shop i can make it much more difficult?

I've never really enjoyed the story of a Disgaea game (I guess 1 and 2 were okay if cheesy as fuck animu shit). I don't mind the whacky characters and enemy design, kinda like that about it. But yeah, it's gay and weird artistically and thematically lol

The cheat shop will let you change how much xp/gold/mana you get (decrease one and get more points to increase the others). It also lets you change the difficulty of enemies. You can go from the base 1 star all the way to 10 stars of difficulty. And I think it's exponential, not just 10x growth in enemy stats--but it is just increasing enemy stats. I'd say the most fun in terms of strategy is getting all the way through an item's Item World. Tons of variety of levels and little things to get to improve the item as you go.

Really the game is about navigating the item world and finding good spots to grind until you have insane items and insanely leveled characters and dish out insane damage. The campaign has some difficulty spikes, particularly if you don't grind. Some are more like puzzles, which can be a fun change of pace.

Personally, I really enjoy the Item World and stat management aspects of all 5 games more than the campaign. Unlocking secret shit after you beat the campaign is fun too. I've yet to beat the actual final boss of any game... I just don't think I have the requisite autism lol

One more thing, keep in mind that you can turn off all animations. This is particularly useful in terms of mitigating the typical JRPG, overlong spell animations and for avoiding the animu homosexuality. Good for grinding and good for staying straight.

Derringer

Prophet
Best in the series imo. At least it's not the horrific nightmare that was Disgaea 6...
I havent played it far yet, but is it true that once i unlock the cheat shop i can make it much more difficult?
It's alright from what I played of it, it's just the same game updated in HD with a worse scenario like every other Disgaea sequel.

ChaDargo

Arcane
It's alright from what I played of it, it's just the same game updated in HD with a worse scenario like every other Disgaea sequel.

Disgaea 6 is basically automated in terms of grinding and leveling up. And the ridiculous numbers are exaggerated to levels that make no fucking sense.

You're probably talking about the campaign. If someone plays Disgaea games for the campaign, that's cool, and I'm sure 6 isn't too bad for that kinda player... But the genius of Disgaea is the management systems. 6 gutted those to try to appeal to a broader audience.

Brimruk

Educated
What are your (aka anyone reading this) thoughts on which Disgaea to play first (or as the only one)? I’m thinking of getting into the series on Switch so I’m curious.

From what I’ve read previously it sounds like the series has gotten more complex, in terms of the gameplay systems, but has maybe lost some of the charm with subsequent installments?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
There's a cheat engine table that has a 100% chance to recruit option. It even works on monster types you can't normally recruit.
That is way too much cheat for me. If I am enjoying the game too much I feel like something is wrong.

Brimruk

Educated
Started playing the SMT III remake on Switch, reached the Specter boss early on (when you first go into the Amala Network).

First time through I didn't buff/debuff and he absolutely demolished me; I was doing pitiful damage and struggling to stay alive (had a full party wipe about 10-15 rounds in).

Second time through I debuffed the fuck out of him and it was over in about 5 rounds. I realize that's the name of the game for the SMT series (make sure you use buffs/debuffs) but goddamn that was a satisfying feeling!

I know I continue shitting up this thread but goddamn if this isn’t a satisfying game!

Reached Matador, was absolutely wrecked the first time through. Thought I had to grind to even have a chance, ended up just switching my party around so that I had an agility buffer, two force-nulls and a dedicated healer. Beat him with MC 15, Bicorn 15, Sudama 13 and High Pixie 12. He ended up wasting both turns on Mazan and when he did hit anyone it was one character and Pixie easily healed them back up

I’m sure I’ll have to grind later on but for now it’s very fulfilling just taking a step back and doing some fusions instead

Lincolnberry

Educated
Started playing the SMT III remake on Switch, reached the Specter boss early on (when you first go into the Amala Network).

First time through I didn't buff/debuff and he absolutely demolished me; I was doing pitiful damage and struggling to stay alive (had a full party wipe about 10-15 rounds in).

Second time through I debuffed the fuck out of him and it was over in about 5 rounds. I realize that's the name of the game for the SMT series (make sure you use buffs/debuffs) but goddamn that was a satisfying feeling!

I know I continue shitting up this thread but goddamn if this isn’t a satisfying game!

Reached Matador, was absolutely wrecked the first time through. Thought I had to grind to even have a chance, ended up just switching my party around so that I had an agility buffer, two force-nulls and a dedicated healer. Beat him with MC 15, Bicorn 15, Sudama 13 and High Pixie 12. He ended up wasting both turns on Mazan and when he did hit anyone it was one character and Pixie easily healed them back up

I’m sure I’ll have to grind later on but for now it’s very fulfilling just taking a step back and doing some fusions instead

SMT 3 definitely felt more puzzle-like in the boss fights than the more recent entries to me. Almost like the scripting of the boss moves was pretty set in stone and could therefore be manipulated. Still a very tough game (at least on hard) though.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Disgaea 6 is basically automated in terms of grinding and leveling up. And the ridiculous numbers are exaggerated to levels that make no fucking sense.

You're probably talking about the campaign. If someone plays Disgaea games for the campaign, that's cool, and I'm sure 6 isn't too bad for that kinda player... But the genius of Disgaea is the management systems. 6 gutted those to try to appeal to a broader audience.
I play Disgaea for the campaign as much as anything else and I thought 6 was shit. Everything about it was bad. I literally can't think of a single good thing to say about it. 7 looks even worse. 2 was the best game in the series as far as story and characters goes.

Brimruk

Educated

SMT 3 definitely felt more puzzle-like in the boss fights than the more recent entries to me. Almost like the scripting of the boss moves was pretty set in stone and could therefore be manipulated. Still a very tough game (at least on hard) though.

I’ve got V in the backlog as well so it’ll be interesting to compare and contrast the two

EDIT: I’m a newbie to the series so I’m definitely playing on Normal for now hah. I am glad to hear the bosses are more puzzle-like because I’m not the biggest fan of just having to grind up bigger numbers so being able to solve things, again at least for now, through fusions is very welcome

Last edited:

ChaDargo

Arcane
What are your (aka anyone reading this) thoughts on which Disgaea to play first (or as the only one)? I’m thinking of getting into the series on Switch so I’m curious.

From what I’ve read previously it sounds like the series has gotten more complex, in terms of the gameplay systems, but has maybe lost some of the charm with subsequent installments?

1/2 for story, 4/5 for everything else. 5 doesn't add that many systems. It's more about it being streamlined and having QoL features.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I just got done with Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 and 2 including their postgames on Expert Classic.

As a break from the Etrian Odyssey marathon, I decided to play through Astlibra Revision.
And I have to say, despite my initial "judge it by the cover" thoughts, this was one of the best games I've played.

I thought the gameplay would be clunky but it's probably some of the smoothest action RPG platformer, up there with Dust: An Elysian Tail.
I thought the artstyle would be jarring, but it works and has a certain charm to them.
I thought the story would be bad but I was personally surprised with the twists and was genuinely touched at times.
I thought the game balancing would be wack when I chose the hardest difficulty (Impossible), but it felt fairly decent to play through.
Some of the music choice is outright great/fitting too.

My only complaint is that you get a tad too powerful by the end of both content segments (base game and postscript) regardless of the difficulty chosen; but I guess it makes sense lore-wise.

20230101140142_1.jpg

ChaDargo

Arcane
About to start SMT: Nocturne. Any tips/advice for a newb to the series? Well, I played Persona 3 FES a long time ago and the high school shit made me want to die, but the combat was great (even if the dungeons were bland as fuck). Am I looking at the same sort of systems?

Lincolnberry

Educated
You probably know this but SMT isn't like Persona (3-5). Way less story focus, way more fighting/gameplay.

Nocturne feels pretty close to an old school dungeon crawler, but in 3D. You're supposed to be ground down. If you're new, I'd probably not recommend the highest difficulty out of the gate. Even on Normal, I imagine you'll get occasionally cleaned out.

Save often. Bosses are usually more like puzzles than brute strength. Use and prioritize your buffs/debuffs. I'd also recommend ignoring the Menorah stuff on the first playthru if you're doing it blind but others will probably disagree.

Puukko

Arcane
About to start SMT: Nocturne. Any tips/advice for a newb to the series? Well, I played Persona 3 FES a long time ago and the high school shit made me want to die, but the combat was great (even if the dungeons were bland as fuck). Am I looking at the same sort of systems?
Use buffs. Build demon lineages, all the bonus XP from sacrificial fusions carries over repeatedly.

Hard disagree on ignoring Maniax content. It has some of the better boss fights and the true final boss, and the kalpas are pretty fun. I've never even considered going for anything other than true demon ending.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom