Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Rate your Final Fantasy

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Final Fantasy XIII-2 Demo. Only played the demo, but I can't stand serah. Plus, they removed some of the abilities like Haste and some other stuff. Game was too streamlined and easy.
You should really give it a serious try. I don't know how far the demo goes, but it takes a while for the really start, with capturing pokemons and messing with the timelines.
Problem is, I have read the impressions of some people that i trust when it comes to the Final Fantasy series and they seem to have the same compalints about the full game that I have about the demo. I might give it a go sometime. I have way too many games backlogged to gamble on a game I might or might not like. The Ps3 isn't going anywhere, so I will most probably try it at some point. Although, to be honest, the gameplay of LR: FFXIII has me more intrigued.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll just rate the ones I've played:

God Tier:
Final Fantasy Tactics

Mid Tier:
Four Heroes of Light
Final Fantasy III (DS)

Been meaning to play them, but I'm more of a Dragon Quest kind of guy. Avoiding II, VIII, XI, XIII and XIV like the plague though. The game I'm having the most trouble decided on what to play on for IV. Original, PSP remake or DS remake. Mulling towards DS but a lot may disagree with me there.

Renegen

Arcane
meh, why not

God Tier
FF 6

Top Tier
FF 12
FF 4
FF 5

Mid Tier
FF 10
FF Tactics
FF Tactics 2
FF 8
FF 10-2

Low Tier
FF 9
FF 3

Rating all the ones I played. I think FF7 is the best of the PSX era but I haven't played it. (The DS remake of FF4 is just as good as the original)

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
God Tier
none

Top Tier
Final Fantasy 2 (famicom)
Final Fantasy Tactics

Mid Tier
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6

Low Tier
Final Fantasy 1

Shit Tier
Everything else.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Good:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy X/X-2 International
Final Fantasy XII

Bad:

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy XIII series
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles

I can't think of any others that fall in to either of these 2 categories, so consider the rest average.

Also, it's really weird how all of the offshoot games like Vagrant Story and Chrono Trigger were really solid games.

Top Tier (defined as "I can't really think of a way to markedly improve upon this game"):
FF VI
FF Tactics

Great Tier (defined as "Very good, but still with issues"):
FF XII (IZJS)

Alright Tier (defined as "Decently Enjoyable at times, but nothing amazing"):
FF IV
FF X
FF X-2

Bleh Tier (i.e. crap)
FF VII

You-gotta-be-kidding-me Tier:
FF VIII

Everything else not played.

Bear in mind that it's probably been at least a decade since I've played any of these other than FF Tactics and FF XII.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've included the ones I've played or read/watched LPs of:
Top Tier
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX

Mid Tier
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XII

Low Tier
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2

Shit Tier
Final Fantasy XIII

Sub-Shit Tier
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - This one demanded the creation of a new tier, because it really is that bad. It makes XIII look like a fucking masterpiece. Read this LP if you want to be amazed.

+1

BurritoGoblin

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Codex 2014
God Tier
FFIX

Top Tier
FFVII
FF Tactics
FFVI

Mid Tier

FFVIII
FFX
FFXII
FFXIV

Shit Tier

FFXIII/XIII-2

FFVII, VIII, and IX made a big impact on me when I was a kid. I'm not ready to put any of them in a low tier.

aleph

Arcane
God Tier
FFV

Top Tier
FFIX

Mid Tier

FFIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFX

Low Tier

FFVII

Shit Tier

4 Heroes of Light

Haven't played the rest

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
- Top Tier -
* VI
* VII
* Tactics

- Mid Tier -
* IV
* V
* IX

- Bottom Tier -
* VIII
* X
* X-2
* XII

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What I'm getting from this thread is that I need to force myself to play through FFIX.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
FF9 is a p. good Final Fantasy. Zidane is fairly non-retarded for an FF protagonist, I liked the ability system, it has a ton of optional content and hidden shit, and it looks pretty good. My problems with it were that I didn't like the last fifth or so of the story, Freya (probably my favourite of the party members) gets pushed to the background after the second disc, and starting a battle takes fucking forever.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
FF9 is a good game, but I'm exceptionally picky about jRPGs since I have played many.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, optional content and stuff is what I remember liking about FF9. It also had some pretty good atmosphere, from what I can recall.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
lel final fantasiesssss

Top tier:
final fantasy 3 (6?) - SNES
final fantasy 7 - PS1
final fantasy 9 - PS1
bravely default - 3DS

Shit tier:
the rest

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
FF12 had solid monster designs, and a really entertaining combat system. I haven't played it in years, but I remember having fun with it.

A user named cat

FF9 is a p. good Final Fantasy. Zidane is fairly non-retarded for an FF protagonist, I liked the ability system, it has a ton of optional content and hidden shit, and it looks pretty good. My problems with it were that I didn't like the last fifth or so of the story, Freya (probably my favourite of the party members) gets pushed to the background after the second disc, and starting a battle takes fucking forever.
Not if you play it through Mednafen and bind a controller button to fast forward. Can also be used to rush through unskippable cutscenes and even loading screens. Gotta love emulators.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah, no FF I've played deserves a God Tier ranking.

Top Tier
FFV
FFVI

Mid Tier
FFVII
FFIX

Low Tier
FF1
FFX
FFVIII

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom