Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Realm of the Mad God - free browser MMORPGish roguelike(like)

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I've been playing this stuff a little. It's a very fast shooting game, online and free. I find pseudopixel graphics usually annoying but they work kinda well in such a fast game. Haven't played much, not sure how much content there is.

Don't know how fast I'll get tired of this, but maybe it's worth checking out if you're looking for a fast timekiller.

http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

Post your opinions.

Realm_of_the_Mad_God211.jpg

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
How do I edit thread titles? It's a stretch to call this a Diablo-clone.

Norfleet

I've heard from friends people I know who were there that the glory days of this game are long past and everything that used to be good in it has gone to shit. A quick search of Le Goog reveals this to be true. Decline is inevitable. The entropy of a closed system always increases. Like with most MMOs, you tend to want to be in early, before they break everything, or not at all. The sell-by date for this has long passed.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
This was quite fun until I unlocked all available character classes and played them to the end.. after that you kinda don't feel much point of putting any more effort into it and probably you've done and seen it all by then. Still, it's a real fun orky experience (Stupid things in large numbers). Basically when a group of 100 or so people is on the move they operate like a fish swarm, no one leads but everyone will go the same way. And it's IMPOSSIBLE to try and put yourself in the lead.
It's still free I guess? 'Course it is. Not sure how it's making any cash though, character death is permanent so no way I'm spending anything on those :)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I tried it a few months back, but it was absolutely not high-latency friendly. Didn't bother with it again after that.

Bulba

Learned
It's quite fun... reminds me of crimsonland a bit. definately nothing to do with diablo

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Yeah, no Diablo, fortunately. I found the description as massive multiplayer bullet-hell shooter pretty accurate actually. Even your fighter will shoot projectiles from the sword, rather than actually, y'know, hit stuff with it, but the range is a lot shorter than archery or magic based classes. Each class has also one unique ability, like a mass heal for the cleric or fiery explosions with the wizard..

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I had a bit of fun with it but the endgame is silly (Need ultra rare drops to do much of anything without popping like a zit) and only so much fun can be gleaned from a game like this before you want something different. It's also not terribly easy on the eyes, which is generally something I look for in a shmup, bullet hell or not.

Good game, just not the time most people would dedicate a ton of time too. More like an online arcade game (which it basically is, just that the quarters are optional.)

Norfleet

All I heard was that everything good about this game had been bled dry before I ever heard of it. By the time I was aware this thing even existed, the entropic decline cycle had taken this game above the point where I would want to touch it.

Destroid

Arcane
Is there some theory about F2P games becoming worse over time as the owners attempt to extract more money?

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Think positive, you'll live longer and more healthily :D
When you hit old age, chance is high to acquire a clinical depression on top of your dementia anyway, so why start now? :P

I personally found .. well.. the game's visuals are nothing much to look at but it's still a somewhat unique if not retro loking style, not bare some cutesiness either. It's easy to play and easy to use and you just shouldn't get too attached to a character :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom