Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Realms of Arkania: Shovelware Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand, how and why are they implementing so many things that should have been in the base game in the past week? Were they so down to the wire that they couldn't have squeezed this in, you know, during the past year or two it's been in development?

It's just weird. I was really looking forward to this, but it's just embarrassing. I feel more like playing the original now than this thing.

Some guys on RPGWatch have theorized that this was some kind of last minute source code fuckup - ie, the features are basically done but somehow it didn't come together. But who knows

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I'm inclined to believe them when they say they come from the browser scene and are used to patching a game into shape in the weeks after release. This project had very little risk of killing the studio -- ftp browser games are basically a license to print money -- so they probably didn't pay enough attention to peculiarities of the non-MMO release scene.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't they hint at some kind of data loss? That being why this game is in such a wonderful, wonderful state.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
They're very deliberately not identifying any culprits, though they are constantly apologizing. Keep in mind that the staff member most active on the forums is also the company's CEO and the game's sole graphics designer, so he'd probably have a hard time playing the blame game even if he wanted to.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Give them 4 weeks to patch the whole thing - then take a critical look at game again - if they can keep the current patch speed the game will be at least playable.
If the gameplay is still bullshit in September, then they will have missed a great chance to recruit new Realms of Arkania fans.

to Bobbles citation:

The 2 men team says: Sorry, we know what we have done, we try to fix the bugs/missing things as soon as as possible, it would be good to get some approval for the fast fixing, the shitstorm on Steam, Amazon and in the forums is hard to handle for them.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Looks like the graphics guy is pulling an all-nighter:

Hi there!

Patch 1.06 will be released tomorrow. This is, what we've already finished for 1.06:

Character: Armor Display Bug of 1.05 fixed
Fights: Improved Arena Assignment
Dungeons:Light position improved
Fights: Prevent Spell overcasting (exception: Ignifaxius)
Fights: Fix Spellcost
Character: Parry updated
Travel: Fixed faulty Events freezing journey
Travel: Fixed encounter positions
Fights: Fix Initiative Display and Order
Thorwal: Replaced NPCs
House Scenes: Modified, replaced NPCs
Fights: Deactivated ActionCam
Fights: Activated Spell Chain and Menacle
Fights: Activated Spell Be My Friend
Fights: Activated Spell Evil Eye
Fights: Activated Spell Great Confusion
Fights: Activated Spell Horriphobus
Fights: Activated Spell Astral Theft
Fights: Activated Spell Somnigravis
Fights: Activated Spell Mad Dance
Fights: Activated Spell Clarum Purum
Fights: Activated Spell Falcon’s Vision
Fights: Activated Spell Plumbumbarum
Fights: Activated Spell Bane of Fire
Fights: Activated Spell Paralyse
Fights: Flee Battle activated
Fights: Greatly increased visual battle feedback
Fights: Character Movement improved
Villages: NPCs replaced in... Ala, Angbodirtal, Aryn. Auplog. Bodon, Breida, Brendhil, Clanegh, Daspota, Efferdun, Einsiedlersee, Fähre Angbodirtal, Felsteyn, Fähre Tjoila, Groenvelden, Guddasunden, Hjallander Hof, Hjalsingor, Kord, Kravik, Liskor, Ljasdahl, Manrin, Merske, Nordvest, Oberorken, Orkanger, Orvil, Ottarje, Overthorn

Patch 1.06 - release August 3rd, 2013 (11am GMT+2)
We decided to release tomorrow, because we want to finish the NPC-replacements and fix the Armory

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Give them 4 weeks to patch the whole thing - then take a critical look at game again - if they can keep the current patch speed the game will be at least playable.
If the gameplay is still bullshit in September, then they will have missed a great chance to recruit new Realms of Arkania fans.

to Bobbles citation:

The 2 men team says: Sorry, we know what we have done, we try to fix the bugs/missing things as soon as as possible, it would be good to get some approval for the fast fixing, the shitstorm on Steam, Amazon and in the forums is hard to handle for them.

If they can't take the shitstorm they deserve then they shouldn't release unfinished and unplayable piece of shit; if you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen. Paradox' Hearts of Iron 3 release was utter disaster because it was unplayable, and guess what? They took the heat, kept on fixing it and learned from their mistakes and their games ever since have been in -much- better condition in release.

Gord

Arcane
Given that a lot of quite substantial things seemingly simply had to be activated, it makes one wonder what happened with their code.
I'm somewhat curious how the new models will look. From what I read on other forums, one of their problems was that they are missing a dedicated modeller, so they had to buy most models from stock or something like that. So either they have found better ones, or hired some external guy for it.

At least they show some dedication to setting it straight.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The CEO/graphics guy is redoing the models himself right now. I wouldn't expect too much from that, but the animations will probably be better (simply because there's so much room for improvement).

Stabwound

Arcane
What an odd situation. I feel slightly bad for these guys, in contrast to Trent Oster's fuckery with Baldur's Gate where I couldn't possibly feel any more schadenfreude than I do now about that whole debacle. I've never seen anything unfold quite like this before, other than maybe Dungeon Lords, where the game was released half-finished and got 1-2 patches to fix things like character creation before they folded.

I wonder how they managed to wrangle such a contract in the first place with apparently a team of 2-3 people and a lot of contracted work. I would have thought whoever owns the rights to RoA would have taken it more seriously.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I wonder how they managed to wrangle such a contract in the first place with apparently a team of 2-3 people and a lot of contracted work. I would have thought whoever owns the rights to RoA would have taken it more seriously.

The rights to the RoA series lie with Jochen Hamma, the sole remaining owner of Attic Entertainment, who made a bunch of money on the stock market in the early 90s. After working on RoA with Henkel, he financed and developed a couple of projects at Spellbound Entertainment until they went bust last year. Now he's out of the industry/unemployed.

His post-RoA portfolio:

• Arcania: Gothic 4 (2010)
  • Helldorado (2007)
  • Ancient Wars: Sparta (2006)
  • Desperados 2: Coopers Revenge (2006)
  • Perry Rhodan: Operation Eastside (1998)

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Patch released. Final patch notes:

Patch 1.06 - August 3rd, 2013 (11am GMT+2)

Character: Armor Display Bug of 1.05 fixed
Fights: Improved Arena Assignment
Dungeons:Light position improved
Fights: Prevent Spell overcasting (exception: Ignifaxius)
Fights: Fix Spellcost
Character: Parry updated
Travel: Fixed faulty Events freezing journey
Travel: Fixed encounter positions
Fights: Fix Initiative Display and Order
Thorwal: Replaced NPCs
House Scenes: Modified, replaced NPCs
Fights: Deactivated ActionCam
Fights: Activated Spell Chain and Menacle
Fights: Activated Spell Be My Friend
Fights: Activated Spell Evil Eye
Fights: Activated Spell Great Confusion
Fights: Activated Spell Horriphobus
Fights: Activated Spell Astral Theft
Fights: Activated Spell Somnigravis
Fights: Activated Spell Mad Dance
Fights: Activated Spell Clarum Purum
Fights: Activated Spell Falcon’s Vision
Fights: Activated Spell Plumbumbarum
Fights: Activated Spell Bane of Fire
Fights: Activated Spell Paralyse
Fights: Flee Battle activated
Fights: Parry reactivated
Fights: Greatly increased visual battle feedback
Fights: Character Movement improved
Villages: NPCs replaced in all towns... Ala, Angbodirtal, Aryn. Auplog. Bodon, Breida, Brendhil, Clanegh, Daspota, Efferdun, Einsiedlersee, Fähre Angbodirtal, Felsteyn, Fähre Tjoila, Groenvelden, Guddasunden, Hjallander Hof, Hjalsingor, Kord, Kravik, Liskor, Ljasdahl, Manrin, Merske, Nordvest, Oberorken, Orkanger, Orvil, Ottarje, Overthorn, Peilinen, Phexcaer, Prem, Rovamund, Rovik, Rukian, Runinshaven, Rybon, Serske, Skelelle, Skjal, Thorwal, Thoss, Tjanset, Tjoila, Treban, Tyldon, Vaermhagen, Vidsand, Vilnheim
Locations: Tavern new
Locations: Tempel new
Blacksmith: New Anvil-Sound
Game Start: Welcome message (will also trigger in existing Games in every Temple of Thorwal)
Mainquest: Swafnild Egilsdotter harbour trigger fixed
Character: ST-Bonus Damage Accumulation fixed
Character: Fixed prssing “C” showing Quest- AND Inventory Screen
User Interface: Made ShowInventory and ShowQuestbook Buttons toggle their respective windows
Thorwal: Armory 30D Credit activated
Character: Payment Bug fixed
Market: Fixed Text Bug
System: Black Screen after intro fixed

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Plan for the next three days:

Schedule for Patch 1.07 - August 4th, 2013 (8pm GMT+2)

Texts: We’ll continue to remove placeholders based on community reports
Magic: Activate Horriphobus effect + NPC Fleeing
Character: Fix hang for All negative attributes mined
Character: Recalculate Armor mali on Levelup
Trade: Fix free Healers
Tavern: Fix wrong dialogs Branches
Items: Fix item equipment restrictions
Fight: Fix Gorah
Events: Check random Travel events further
Dungeon: Fix empty chests in spidercave
Dungeon: Fix pirate cave door Collider
Camp: Fix Save Game Time forward
Dungeon: Fix Orc Cave entrance
Towns: Add NPC in front of Ugdalf

Preliminary Schedule for Patch 1.08 - August 5th, 2013 (8pm GMT+2)

Fight: Activate break weapons
Fight: Fix Throwing weapons usage
Item: Fix ST-Belt
Fight: Add more Sounds
Towns: Rework Market Booths to refelct purpose
Fight: Add new Models
Fight: Fix Opponent Portraits

Preliminary Schedule for Patch 1.09 - August 6th, 2013 (8pm GMT+2)

Quest: Fix Ugdalf Triggers
Character: Make Character Images and Names Changeable after Creation
Items: Make Torch and Tinderbox operational
Camp: Use Skills

We want to integrate community Feedback into this patch, so the Plan is prelminary

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Plan for the next three days:
Schedule for Patch 1.07 - August 4th, 2013 (8pm GMT+2)

Preliminary Schedule for Patch 1.08 - August 5th, 2013 (8pm GMT+2)

Preliminary Schedule for Patch 1.09 - August 6th, 2013 (8pm GMT+2)

They have no idea where their placeholders are? That's just insane.

Stabwound

Arcane
I wish I could get a copy of the very first release before patches, because it would have been hilarious to play through and do a little LP. It's virtually impossible to get that version now, though.

Stabwound

Arcane
I don't see how that would even work, because the game is going to be absolutely panned in reviews before they fix it enough to call it a playable game. The damage has been done and now they're trying to band-aid everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom