Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend a turn based, isometric/overhead, full party RPG for me

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/a-list-of-rpgs-a-codex-collaboration.146323/

Search for all those tagged party-based+Isometric play every single one, and maybe you won't have shit taste anymore
Go fuck yourself, asshole
Watch the language around your superior, little boy.

I pointed you to a resource with ~950 games you can search by turn-based on front page+last 2/3 pages of the thread, with more info and links to Codex threads.

Go educate yourself and move on from only knowing about BG3 and Disco Elysium.
Asks for recommendation.
"Play all 950 of these games, which I haven't even played myself."
That's retarded.

raeven

Educated
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/a-list-of-rpgs-a-codex-collaboration.146323/

Search for all those tagged party-based+Isometric play every single one, and maybe you won't have shit taste anymore
Go fuck yourself, asshole
Watch the language around your superior, little boy.

I pointed you to a resource with ~950 games you can search by turn-based on front page+last 2/3 pages of the thread, with more info and links to Codex threads.

Go educate yourself and move on from only knowing about BG3 and Disco Elysium.
Asks for recommendation.
"Play all 950 of these games, which I haven't even played myself."
That's retarded.
It's definitely a suggestion that runs counter to the entire concept of a recommendation, certainly.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Don't pay any attention to Botoxskijump. The guy is just a nasty negative nancy and hates almost everyone here.

Have you tried the GF2 - I demo yet?

raeven

Educated
Don't pay any attention to Botoxskijump. The guy is just a nasty negative nancy and hates almost everyone here.

Have you tried the GF2 - I demo yet?
In the two hours since you suggested it? No :)

Curious why you recommended the 2nd one over the first one though.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
You're not my superior, you're just another person who likes this genre of games, and I've no problem telling you to go fuck yourself when you decide go around calling yourself anyone's "superior". In fact, I'll do it again - get off your high horse, and go fuck yourself. Ah, that felt nice actually.
It's not a bad thing to submit to your superior, your life will be less stressful that way.

P.S. would love to hear any recommendations within the criteria I gave, if you're wiling to share them :)
Dungeon of Naheulbeuk

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

Because I think it (the remaster) addresses some of the concerns/specifications you've brought up ITT. The game is genuinely good-looking now, although it certainly doesn't look "AAA" or anything. It's been, afaict, polished to a fine shine compared to the original(s).

I realize it still may not tickle your fancy, but, as pointed out, it's a free demo, and you might just find it to be as addicting as I do.

P.S. It's also only available as a free demo on Steam until tomorrow (Feb. 12th), I believe.

Yosharian

Arcane
Have you considered some tactics-style games? Kingsvein which just released is very good IMO, and Triangle Strategy is also pretty good if you like those sort of games.
- Pathfinder: wrath of the righteous - seems like it's more polished than Kingmaker, plus it was designed from the get-go with a turn based mode. Maybe that doesn't matter, idk. It's more recent and reviews seem to say it's a big improvement over the original in terms of polish and such.
I would highly recommend Kingmaker over Wrath, at least initially. Wrath has... issues, and the complexity of building characters is much higher than Kingmaker.

I have a Kingmaker modlist that makes it a much more enjoyable game in my opinion.
What do you mean by 'issues'?

I looked through your modlist. The only ones that seemed relevant to an initial playthrough were the autobuff and loot checklist mods from what I could tell, though neither seemed all that necessary.
Ugh, how long have you got? Wrath is just a real mixed bag. There are some things that it does better than Kingmaker, but mostly the advantage it has is having bigger and better build options, which isn't necessarily the most important thing to a player that's new to PF. Like, you'll be overwhelmed enough as it is with the base offerings in KM, most likely. Anyway I'm not going to go into too much detail on this but Wrath isn't a strict upgrade compared to what KM offers, it's very bloated and a mixed experience.

As for the modlist, I think I explained next to each mod pretty clearly why it's needed.

1. Most veteran players wouldn't even consider playing the game past the 20h mark without the autobuff mod anymore, it's basically mandatory.
  2. CMI is brilliant for allowing you to use early/midgame weapons and armor well into the endgame, and has a gold cost attached to these upgrades so it's reasonably balanced (just don't use any of its other features).
  3. Scale XP is great for helping you reach level 20 with some actual game left to play.
  4. Better Vendors is a fantastic replacement for the retarded Artisan system, and allows access to some really nice QOL items such as the Swamp Dweller's Boots.
  5. Loot Checklist is great for avoiding pixel-hunting.
  6. Bag of Tricks is mandatory, this is an Owlcat game - also helps with the retarded Kingdom Management if you choose to play with that turned on, and allows for fine-tuning balance.
  7. Difficulty Scales With Level fixes the game's retarded difficulty curve so that it's not insanely hard early game and a fucking pushover lategame (although the latter issue still needs 2.0x HP from BoT to fix).
  8. Finally Respecialization allows you to use companions while still having complete control over their builds, again basically mandatory - why are you playing a Pathfinder game otherwise.

roshan

Arcane
So I am trying Avernum Escape from the Pit but I am really missing having some music. Is there a music mod or suggested playlist for this game? Perhaps someone created something on Spotify?

That's a constant in Spiderweb games. Just fire up your usual "tabletop rpg background music" playlist on youtube or something.

DemonKing

Arcane
- Solasta: Crown of the magister - looks like it could be fun. Don't know that much about it.
I prefer the combat in this game to BG3, but pretty much everything else is worse (other than the fact it is blessedly free from gay romance options). The janky character models and dialog do have a certain charm to them I guess.

Jazz_

Arcane
Idk what it is, but I find it really hard to get into spiderweb software's games. There's just something about them that doesn't 'click' for me, and I can't seem to put my finger on why.

Same. It's probably because they look like mobile shovelware.

agris

Arcane
Patron
[...] There's also Archaelund, which is in early access still. I bought it, tried it out, and somehow found myself playing for 5 hours straight and forgetting I was sitting there that long. So easy to get lost in. Great simple TB combat and some gorgeous dungeon/world design. Shows real promise. Combines first person dungeon crawling with isometric turn based combat. Easily my favorite RPG so far this year. [...]
raeven , did you catch this? Archaelund is a fantastic (early access) make-your-own-party isometric TB combat cRPG with old school sensibilities. the only catch vs your stated preference is that exploration happens as a gridless blobber. only combat is isometric.

saw your post about 30 years of cRPGs etc, and I think you'd appreciate this one. the rpg mechanics are the dev's own ruleset, they make sense, are fairly complex, and presented in an extremely intuitive manner during party creation. it honestly feels like a game designed in the late 90s by someone with 16 gb of VRAM.

the performance is dog shit, but it's worth the slog

Last edited:

raeven

Educated
[...] There's also Archaelund, which is in early access still. I bought it, tried it out, and somehow found myself playing for 5 hours straight and forgetting I was sitting there that long. So easy to get lost in. Great simple TB combat and some gorgeous dungeon/world design. Shows real promise. Combines first person dungeon crawling with isometric turn based combat. Easily my favorite RPG so far this year. [...]
raeven , did you catch this? Archaelund is a fantastic (early access) make-your-own-party isometric TB combat cRPG with old school sensibilities. the only catch vs your stated preference is that exploration happens as a gridless blobber. only combat is isometric.

saw your post about 30 years of cRPGs etc, and I think you'd appreciate this one. the rpg mechanics are the dev's own ruleset, they make sense, are fairly complex, and presented in an extremely intuitive manner during party creation. it honestly feels like a game designed in the late 90s by someone with 16 gb of VRAM.

the performance is dog shit, but it's worth the slog

Hmm. Not the biggest fan of the first person perspective, but the game looks fun. I may pick it up once it releases. Thanks for the tip!

Reality

Learned
My top recommendations

Blackguards 1
(Great personality on the campaigns, the non d&d system freed me from wasting time maxing . Some of best companions in any limited scope rpg. Endgame combat a little too long though )
Gloomhaven digital
(yes it's a boardgame but it's combat is better than many rpgs. I prefer controlling 3 characters solo but 4 is an option)

Secondary recommendations

Temple of Elemental Evil
(easy zones and hard zones connected together at random, midgame your fighters turn into attack of opportunity blenders that kills faster than in a RtWP game )
King Arthur: Knights Tale
(all classes contribute well at first but lategame the vanguards take over too much)
Expeditions : Viking
(More RPG than Conquistador, especially better staying thematic)

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because I think it (the remaster) addresses some of the concerns/specifications you've brought up ITT. The game is genuinely good-looking now, although it certainly doesn't look "AAA" or anything. It's been, afaict, polished to a fine shine compared to the original(s).

I realize it still may not tickle your fancy, but, as pointed out, it's a free demo, and you might just find it to be as addicting as I do.

P.S. It's also only available as a free demo on Steam until tomorrow (Feb. 12th), I believe.

I don't know what Crispy is trying to say. If you're going to play the Geneforge series, start with the remaster of the first game, Geneforge 1 - Mutagen. The remaster of the second game isn't out yet.

roshan

Arcane
I started Avernum Escape from the Pit and the graphics are actually quite decent.

Jinn

Arcane
So I am trying Avernum Escape from the Pit but I am really missing having some music. Is there a music mod or suggested playlist for this game?
Search for dungeonsynth full albums on youtube. Enjoy!

But yeah, music sure would be nice to have in Vogel games.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I don't know what Crispy is trying to say. If you're going to play the Geneforge series, start with the remaster of the first game, Geneforge 1 - Mutagen. The remaster of the second game isn't out yet.
My entire point was for him to (at the time) take advantage of the FREE demo that Vogel was offering on Steam. That way, if op still decided that the GF (Spiderweb) games just weren't for him, then no loss.

jackofshadows

Magister
Not isometric but Wizardry 8. Amazing game in many ways (and specifically in party banter - think Jagged Alliance 2).

Also echo Expedition: Viking. A great game with some flaws but still underrated for sure.

There're Wasteland 2-3 games, which are rather mediocre to good at best imo but if you wanna take a break from fantasy then it's an ok pick.

Dungeon Rats - very good dungeon crawl experience all around.

Spike

Educated
Realms of Arkania HD
Always meant to ask you. You would recommend HD over the originals, correct? CRPG Book says to play Blade of Destiny in HD but to return to the original for the sequel. I kind of just want to do all HD.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Realms of Arkania HD
Always meant to ask you. You would recommend HD over the originals, correct? CRPG Book says to play Blade of Destiny in HD but to return to the original for the sequel. I kind of just want to do all HD.
He didn't play it.
download.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom