Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Recommend me your favourite mods or games and watch me complain

Gregz

Arcane
Best mods I've ever seen in 40 years of gaming, in order:

1. Median XL 1.F9 for Diablo II
  2. Counter-Strike for Half-Life
  3. Prophesy of Pendor for Mount & Blade: Warband
  4. ZAngband is a fork of Angband
  5. 1.13 mod for Jagged Alliance 2
  6. OpenXcom OS clone of X-COM: UFO Defense

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I barely play mods so just games for me:

1. Fell Seal: Arbiters Mark
2. Crosscode
3. Anachronox
4. Shadowrun Dragonfall

All games I liked a lot, not my top all time but I wanted to put a few lesser talked about games there

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Aigh, you know what, scratch that.

Play all STALKER games - original trilogy (no Complete mod, just fan patches), maybe Lost Alpha too.

Then play Misery 2 for Call of Pripyat, it has a lot of hardcore nonsense'n'bullshit, primadonna modders did an attempt to go for "more realism" route, and we all know that's just asking for trouble.
Anyway - reading comment sections for this mod, pretty much anywhere, is a great source of entertainment so don't be worse and deliver some.

Then play Murderhobo Simulator aka Stalker Anomaly for comparison.

Other mods....
Diablo The Hell 1 and 2 for you-know-what
Ashes2063 for Doom

Don't know how you like RPGs but Temple of Elemental Evil with Circle of Eight 8.1.0 NC version to play post endgame new content was pure :prosper:

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
What can you say shitty about Sven Coop?
I think the HD models look like shit and downgrading to original HL1 models makes it feel a lot better. To an extent. Everything is still damage-spongy and boring to fight, so all of the entertainment comes from seeing too many people together in one map. Most of the maps are just random forgettable stuff that often isn't any fun even with 32 players, though.

Falksi

Arcane
What a disappointing thread.
What a disappointing post.

tree-fence3.jpg

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Here you go, first review:

ARCANE DIMENSIONS

Shit mod. Boring, tedious, pathetic. Really. It's completely overrated. There's nothing cool or interesting about the level design, they're just overly large and long maps with too many enemies. It's not super hard, even on nightmare (which is what I was playing on). Not only are all the extra enemies redundant, even the originals are completely trivialized. There aren't any particularly interesting encounters, it's just endless rooms of whatever they felt like throwing in. The environment is not built around them, it is in fact just a long string of nondescript rooms with flat layouts. Of course, even the original Quake has lots of flat rooms, so? But even there the encounters are far more clever and challenging than the shit in this mod. Here, the only complexity in the level design is from the way the rooms fit together overall, but the actual playing field at any given moment is pretty much just banalshitboring crap. It's more like they're just really big (and still mediocre) deathmatch levels with enemies in them rather than actually compelling singleplayer stuff. Even with that apparent complexity, the maps aren't actually complicated to navigate as you can get through them with your brain turned off most of the time. Basically, it's quantity over quality: the game, and nothing but boredom.

The ‘arcane dimensions’ featured are all quite dull, too. There's none of that weird Quake atmosphere, it's just bland skyboxes and OMG FOG SO SPOOPY LMAO. Also, projectile shotguns, wat. That's the stupidest thing I've seen in a game. but, liek, hitscan bad lolololo. Running around killing every enemy in the same boring way over and over is so fun, it doesn't even matter what they are, just shoot them with shotgun lol. Turn your brain off lol.

I didn't finish it. I got stuck with a bad quicksave with a shambler and the only thing I could do was cheat or restart the entire extremely long and mindnumbingly repetitive level, so fuck that. (‘OMG U FAG Y U PLEY ON NITEMARE THEN IF U SUX AT GAEM UR NOT QUACK PRO LIKE ME TRYHARDR NEXT TIME LMAOE!!’ says the autist.)

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alpha Centauri. Do a University run and come back and complain.

Wunderbar

Arcane
AD is a mappack where each map was made by a different mapper. Reviewing it as a whole is pointless since it's uneven, and a quality of each map differs greatly.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
AD is a mappack where each map was made by a different mapper. Reviewing it as a whole is pointless since it's uneven, and a quality of each map differs greatly.
Every map I played was as boring as the last and not significantly different. Perhaps I just happened to miss the best ones, but that's kind of beside the point. No one ever recommended AD as anything other than the bestest mod evur that you should play the entirety of becauz so gud amirite. But yes, it did remind me of some Half-Life 2 compilations I tried playing that were painfully dull. This was only slightly more entertaining than that. If multiple mappers were involved, doesn't that mean that Quake modding in general is probably just banal trite? At the very least, if this is the best they have to offer, then they don't really have anything to begin with. Well, I feel like, in general, I've always had more fun playing older maps or mods (regardless of what game they are for), so I suppose it's just decline. People can masturbate over how they made The Biggest Maps Ever, but it always ends up being a formulaic waste of time. I guess mappers feel like they need to make their maps as dense as possible since they aren't made to be part of a larger game, but I think the pacing suffers a lot. The original Quake did much better with much less. Of course, I never cared much for individual maps, anyway, so I don't give shit what those modders are doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom