Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendable Civ4 Mods?

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PS: Oh and if animals are annyoing you, there is a starting option to disable spawning inside borders.
That's great, thanks for the advice.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm trying to play Caveman2Cosmos and its seriously pissing me off. First the fucking animals keep spawning everywhere. I have to not only have a wall of units at my borders but also need sentries inside my borders to hunt the fuckers.

There's a custom setting to disable animals from even crossing into players' borders. Kinda like how the Great Wall wonder disallows barbarians to cross your borders. It's very useful.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, if you don't enjoy going through a million techs and having a thousand buildings and units with minor differences to build, all of which may have some obscure use like reducing disease or crime rate, C2C is not the game for you.

It's a massive kitchen sink mod for people who enjoy that kind of fuckhueg variety.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Also, if you don't enjoy going through a million techs and having a thousand buildings and units with minor differences to build, all of which may have some obscure use like reducing disease or crime rate, C2C is not the game for you.

It's a massive kitchen sink mod for people who enjoy that kind of fuckhueg variety.
Yeah... I tried to continue playing but couldn't even finish 10 turns.

eXalted

Arcane
Started playing Pie's Ancient Europe again. I really like the simulation aspect of it like units joinng your army when losing, elephants damage your army when defeated, conquering a city spawns a wagon with treasure which you must deliver to your capital, Roman soldiers have ranks, etc.

oscar

Arcane
Slavery is very very powerful with a lot of set-ups. The slave uprisings are good sources of XP for your units too (helped by the somewhat suicidal rebel/barbarian AI compared to other civs). Occasionally capturing enemy units and enslaving them is a nice bonus too if you're a war-mongerer (even if you can't take an enemy civ's cities wars can often be worth it just for the plundering and enslaving opportunities).

Sure you have to keep a few slave-hunting forces in reserve (skirmishers are great for it) but it's a small trade-off for all those extra hammers slavery tends to give you. And having a large standing military even if it's parked in the hills will still help in keeping the AI wary of fighting you.

If you have a mine-heavy economy I imagine it'd be viable well into the medieval and even renaissance eras.

eXalted

Arcane
Sounds interesting, any more detail? Is it still being updated?
Yes, it is. Although it looks like it should be played more like Crusader Kings instead, it seems - not for victory, but for the emergent plot, because there is some random stuff that can happen. For example, if a unit was promoted to hero and then dies, there is a chance of big riots in the empire and half your cities to leave your empire as a result. But I haven't played it too much, so I can't say if this is e exactly the case. Don't have a single completed game yet.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Bumrushing the AI in waves, followed by phases of consolidation has always been a top strategy in 4X games, as the AI is rarely able to form an alliance.

The only thing you have to be careful with slavery/serfdom is to not enter the medieval age too early, because there will 6 power rebel spawns instead of 3.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I still haven't finished a game of C2C, despite starting numerous times.
Same, I get about as far as the modern era and then the crashes begin. Such a shame because they definitely had a cool idea, but its executed in such a way that makes me wonder how anyone developing it even thought the performance was acceptable. And the AI is borderline non-existent it is a pushover, if you get one city early on getting enough neolithic wonders you end up so far ahead tech wise that most of the world will be neolithic mud huts and you'll be in the modern era dropping nukes on every caveman.

All I wanted was a damn Civ mod that let me go to space at the end, was that so difficult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom