Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Good or shit?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's funny how games like Deus Ex or System Shock are known as games that don't fit into a clear mould and don't necessarily do any one thing particularly well, they don't have the deepest rpg systems, nor are they great first person shooters, etc., but end up being more than the sum of their parts due to their underlying systems and design. GTA/RDR games also don't fit into a clear mould and don't manage to do any one thing particularly well, but they also don't add up to be more than the sum of their parts, they are just boring shit, and yet people absolutely love them and can't get enough. Just a little thought I had. I think someone made a post before about how GTA games are close to Ultima.

BruceVC

Magister
While Im having a few days break from RPG I am playing some sp RDR2 but this time I decided to mod the game and I should have done this ages ago. Once you finish the main quest you can continue indefinitely as John Marston and even though its fun the game world is empty

But with mods you can add contract killings, dozens of new bounty hunter jobs and other activities that keep the sp experience enthralling

And there are these zombie apocalypse mods that add undead towns and undead to the Western theme....great fun and highly recommenced :cool:

jackofshadows

Magister
Somewhere in between. I'd say RDR2 is also an embodiment of wasted potential. With this level of production values if only they'd make the actual game design right...

Why the fuck the story chain has exactly zero interactivity and what's even more baffling why is it barely connected with the free-roam "part"? The camp, the honor, the gear, nothing matters. All for the people who intend to play story mode only. Well, maybe you should've made an actual story mode then or something?

I got the doesn't matter part from that YT guy because dropped the game somewhere around 40% or a bit more even though I suspected as much.

It's very cool to fuck around as with cowboy/bandit simulator for awhile but it's even ironic that there's almost zero incentive to do so from the game point. So bizarre.

Voice acting - Morgan and Dutch firstly is top-notch indeed but they'd really be better off shooting a TV show with this kind of approach.

Someone brought up KCD as an "opposite" game - I don't get it, same insanely huge disconnect between free-roam activities and the main branch if you ask me (still liked KCD a lot more personally).

On top of all in the same context of wasted potential this is also a product of its time i.e. woke. A woke western game - sounds like a bad joke and yet here we are.

Beautiful but ultimately pointless and boring game.

BruceVC

Magister
I nearly had a crisis with my RDR2 modded sp game

I have a mod that allows me to sell any weapons to unique vendors and I accidently sold my hunting knife. And do you know by design you cannot Skin any animal without your hunting knife and you cant buy another hunting knife at any vendor and to make things worse I couldnt find a way to spawn a hunting knife using any trainer mod

Which meant I could no longer get animal fat which is a unique ingredient required in certain ammunition and throwable weapons

So I accepted I could no longer participate in an important RP part of the game which is living off the land

But then I killed some greedy Bounty Hunters tracking me and guess what ....one of them dropped a hunting knife !!! Crisis solved :bounce:

snoek

Erudite
I played through most of the SP content which was very enjoyable. Some parts of the main story were slow however.
Most of the 'immersive' mechanics were stupid and kind of pointless, like the base camp collection stuff .. I never tried the late game farm stuff.
I liked investigating the world however, there's plenty of surprises. I also liked the world changing in some places over the time of the story.
There's also a ton of interesting side missions and a long epilogue but once you've completed those you're just left with boring side activities.

The map certainly is big enough to cram in way more single player content but rockstar only cares about selling shark cards online so it'll never happen.

After GTA V i sorta gave up on rockstar. It seemed like the main message of gta 5 was "Everything is just way over the top and stupid" as a criticism of society, when the game itself was the embodiment of over the top and stupid. It had elements of wokeness, but more importantly, seemed to hate everything about itself.

I loved GTA 3, vice city, san andreas. 4 was OK but a disappointment in many ways, I think the attempt at a more grounded story dragged the whole thing down, and changing the driving to be much less fun was an odd choice...

To add on to what people are saying about the 'open' nature of the GTA games, way back in vice city there was a mission to assassinate some guy or group of guys. The intended way to do it was to chase him down in a car through several scripted traffic situations and end up in a shootout or what have you. Instead I managed to race out to his car as he got into it and shot him in the head through the back window. Mission Passed.

Even in san andreas they took away some of that freedom. Windows and gas tanks became bulletproof, cars immune to damage, until you chased them into the proper area. It was a gradual decline, and it's hard to say where it became too much, but it sounds like RDR2 sits at the bottom of that decline, what with the missions on rails.

BruceVC

Magister
I played through most of the SP content which was very enjoyable. Some parts of the main story were slow however.
Most of the 'immersive' mechanics were stupid and kind of pointless, like the base camp collection stuff .. I never tried the late game farm stuff.
I liked investigating the world however, there's plenty of surprises. I also liked the world changing in some places over the time of the story.
There's also a ton of interesting side missions and a long epilogue but once you've completed those you're just left with boring side activities.

The map certainly is big enough to cram in way more single player content but rockstar only cares about selling shark cards online so it'll never happen.
https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/1095?tab=description

Here is the main Zombie mod I would suggest and their are others you can add

But just to describe the experience and how it makes the entire RDR2 sp game absolutely much more exciting. Its like the famous movie Dawn of Dead and other similar movies

The zombies wander the game world in small groups and sometimes alone. You will draw aggro from them if you go too close and especially if you kill one then they start chasing you but they easy to get away from on a horse. They also attack some NPCs and in certain cases NPCS will kill them which makes things chaotic and fun especially in the towns like Blackwater where the police will protect the town

But you still go about your normal missions that I have enhanced using mods like Contract killings and additional bounty hunter options

I wouldnt recommend this zombie mod for the normal sp game with Arthur because its disruptive and dangerous but its definitely worth it when you play as John Marston when you complete the main story

Sentinel

Arcane
Hello all,

I have been getting mixed messages about this game. Hordes of people online reckon it is the 'best game evar' but I have seen a number of quality posters talk about it being more restrictive than the GTA formula. Also talk of a lot of PC bugs, though that was a while ago, so these might be ironed out?

For reference, I enjoyed GTA VC, GTA SA and GTA V.

So is it worth a purchase? Or is it another "Oblibion is the best game evar"?
It's one of the best games of the generation along with Nioh 2, The Last Guardian and Nier Automata. Definitely has the best protagonist and story. I really enjoyed the slow open world stuff and hunting as well but people here hate slow paced games when a big developer does it.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Yeah, there is unfortunately a bit of woke cancer in the game but it also has stuff like this:

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have been getting mixed messages about this game. Hordes of people online reckon it is the 'best game evar' but I have seen a number of quality posters talk about it being more restrictive than the GTA formula. Also talk of a lot of PC bugs, though that was a while ago, so these might be ironed out?

It's one of the best games of the generation along with Nioh 2, The Last Guardian and Nier Automata. Definitely has the best protagonist and story. I really enjoyed the slow open world stuff and hunting as well but people here hate slow paced games when a big developer does it.
Your best games of the generation list is suspect...

Nier Automata was complete and utter shit. Everything about it was terrible. Why was that game so hyped? Just because it "subverted expectations"? I mean, yeah, it did do that, I expected an ok game and let me tell you, that was very subverted....

Hello all,

Nier Automata was complete and utter shit. Everything about it was terrible. Why was that game so hyped? Just because it "subverted expectations"? I mean, yeah, it did do that, I expected an ok game and let me tell you, that was very subverted....
big booty android waifu

Sentinel

Arcane
Hello all,

Even the soundtrack?

SumDrunkGuy

Arcane
Shitposter
I hated it. Controlling your character felt slow like molasses and every action you perform takes way too fucking long. EVERYTHING.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom