Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Paul_cz

Arcane
"Mission failed! You walked a bit too fast."

very immersive.
Nobody is gonna argue that mission design of the main missions shouldn't have been more open. But the game consists of more than that, and it is not exactly impossible to simply play the way it is designed and therefore not run into these issues all that often. There is more to immersion than that.

But yes, I agree its too strict mission parameters are the biggest (and only significant) flaw of RDR2.
is it playable now?

Perfectly. At least on my PC. No crashes, no bugs, stable 60fps.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
First 2 hours are railroaded because they act as a tutorial. After you will arrive at the camp, the game becomes open and free-roam.

It becomes open world, but all the missions are linear as hell, and bogged down with super slow and "immersive" moments. The game excels more at "make your own fun" stuff like robbing people or whatever.

But yes, I agree its too strict mission parameters are the biggest (and only significant) flaw of RDR2.

They are definitely not the only significant flaw in this overrated game (boring storylines with equally dull characters and completely broken arcs and pacing come to mind, as does a relatively boring combat system made way too easy and pointless by bullet sponge health and things like dead-eye). But even if you ignore those, saying this is the only flaw misses a bigger point, and is equivalent to saying "Tasting like shit is the only flaw with shit as a major food group".

It's not that the strict mission parameters, as you say, somehow make the overall game worse. It's that they literally go against the entire fundamental point of open world games. RDR2 is a schitzo game, trying at the same time to be an open world game with all these systems (animals, hunting, robberies, etc) and to also be an extremely linear Call of Duty type game when it comes to its actual missions. Imagine playing Call of Duty set in GTA, and you will understand why this just doesn't work.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Imagine playing Call of Duty set in GTA, and you will understand why this just doesn't work.
GTA has suffered from this too, though. More often than not, the more elaborate missions are linear obstacle courses where you hit one checkpoint after another. It's been a glaring flaw in the series since the GTA3 days, although probably not quite as bad as RDR2 from what I'm reading.

Paul_cz

Arcane
RDR2 is a schitzo game, trying at the same time to be an open world game with all these systems (animals, hunting, robberies, etc) and to also be an extremely linear Call of Duty type game when it comes to its actual missions.
Thank you, captain obvious, for repeating the obvious;

Imagine playing Call of Duty set in GTA, and you will understand why this just doesn't work.

Doesn't work for you. Works perfectly fine for many others, me included.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
finished tutorial chapter 1. Now im hunting game around camp in chapter 2.

This console UI is annoying. Im not sure I can call it UI even, finding anything is a chore. Got no idea how to craft and do most of the things, im supposed to adjust my outfit(its too hot) but I got no idea how, there appears to be no proper inventory?
Look around the camp, there is a trunk somewhere near your bed. That's your wardrobe. People used to keep their clothes in trunks.

BTW, regarding the above discussion... people like to say they want realism, but they don't really want realism. You want realism in a western game - stop shaving and bathing for days, and install one of those sex toys in front of your PC so that while you are riding in the game you are riding in real life. Let your butt actuallty get sore from the saddle.

Also, do you want realistic aiming and shooting too? Good luck, if someone implements controls where your wrist is controlled separately from your elbow and shoulder you wouldn't hit anything.

RDR2 is just what it aims to be - a perfect "western feelz" game, and if you ditch the main story - a murderhobo simulator of unsurpassed detail and visual quality.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Look around the camp, there is a trunk somewhere near your bed. That's your wardrobe. People used to keep their clothes in trunks.
thats a good start.
how do I deal with plants? My satchel is full, I cant seem to donate nor craft in camp?
Behind Van Der Linde's tent, there is an open ledger and a wooden box. That's where you go to donate. Generally, you have to keep your eyes peeled in this game, and don't be afraid to go by intuition.

Food, skins and animal parts should go to the fat guy with the top hat, the cook, whatever his name was. If you go to his stall, he will automatically show up there.

AwesomeButton

Patron
For crafting, I don't remember if you could craft in the gang's camp. You can upgrade weapons in gun shops, and you can brew and cook in your own camp you set in the wilderness. Go near the fire after you set up the camp and the option will be there.

This console UI is annoying. Im not sure I can call it UI even, finding anything is a chore.

The UI perfectly fits the game. In good games, there is logic to UI, you get the pattern down and can do everything instinctually after a while. In RDR2, the UI requires you to follow on-screen prompts which change from situation to situation, press E now to do this, but then, press F to do this next time, and so on. You can think of it as a training session for the rest of the game, Rockstar training you to follow the prompts. Good doggy.

RDR2 is just what it aims to be - a perfect "western feelz" game, and if you ditch the main story - a murderhobo simulator of unsurpassed detail and visual quality.

Not at all. RDR2 does not scratch any of the "Western" itches in any successful way except for pretty graphics. It is nothing like the great Western movies or novels. Imagine the best John Wayne movies, or Clint Eastwood movies, or the ones that predated those, how is RDR2 in ANY way like them, except being set in relatively close setting?

First off, the time is wrong. Great westerns for the most part took place during the age of the Western, roughly 1850s to 1880s. RDR2 takes place at the turn of the century, when the West has already been conquered, and stuff like large cities, trolleys, Pinkertons, etc kill the Western atmosphere.

Second, Westerns have been about interesting individuals overcoming or succumbing to the obstacles of nature, villainy, etc. RDR2 is about some Stockhold Syndrome beta follower, who is in an abusive relationship that eventually leads to his death.

Third, and most importantly, Westerns are about the spirit of unquenchable freedom, settings out into massive open spaces where you are your own master. RDR2 is exactly the opposite of this, a Call of Duty-like linear cinematic corridor game, where physical corridors are replaced with mission-failed screens should you deviate a step from the exact prescribed sequence.

So past some superficial similarities, there is nothing about RDR2 that is Western in the way that term is usually meant. I would argue New Vegas has a much more western spirit than this pile.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think it's a bad UI on mouse and keyboard specifically, it's just a bad UI in general. Multiple key or button presses to do simple actions are both bad. Automatically changing what guns you have equipped is bad on both platforms. Retarded use of menus to do basic in-combat actions is stupid on both platforms.

Sentinel

Arcane
Cant call a horse since you are too far away. Got to walk back on foot
I don't recall ever being left stranded after a mission without my horse. I think the only time this happened was if I chose to chase some guy (or was it running away from the cops?) in that lenny drinking mission.
But, you do realize that you can use any horse or vehicle, right? You're not bound to your horse. You can also fast travel from any travel station on the map.

AwesomeButton

Patron
this game can be quite a chore... Go hunting? need to ride for a bit, kill single deer, then thats all you can carry so its time to get back.
Yes, "the journey, not the destination" is like the motto of the whole design. You have to take your time and larp your character. If you are hurrying to tick the next box, RDR2 will only ennerve you.

Paul_cz

Arcane
dunno... kcd was fun. This somehow aint. I'd blame UI and number of clicks required, not immersion. Also had exit save
Funnily enough for me both were fun. More so than 99.9% of other games.
Then again I play on TV with controller and didn't have a problem with the UI or controls, in either game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom