Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Mazisky Erudite

Mazisky
    First 2 hours are railroaded because they act as a tutorial. After you will arrive at the camp, the game becomes open and free-roam.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    What did you expect? This is a popamole game.

Also, since when does Epic do refunds?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    You never played Kingdom Come Deliverance?

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I'd like to play this someday if a good difficulty mod comes out. I want to play a cowboy game like this, but it seems like I wouldn't like it much in its current state.

^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    This is a first-class storyfag/immersionfag game. Gameplayfags should go play DMC5 or Nintendo or something and stop bitching about RDR2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Is that on PC?

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    It is by far the most railroaded game in the history of open world games. It's amazing to what degree the Rockstar designers are clueless about how open world games work, or arrogant to where they feel like they can not just disregard what makes open world games work but actively break it (as in whenever you use emergent open world elements to get something done, they punish you for this with mission over screens, because you deviated 2 steps from their cinematic prescribed pathway). Truly one of the worst games I've ever played.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Maybe they realized that Open World games are shit?

^ Top  
  9. Mark.L.Joy Savant

Mark.L.Joy
    This is game where you get buttfugged by hobo, only the most prestigious immersion fags can take it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    "Mission failed! You walked a bit too fast."

very immersive.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    is it playable now?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    Nobody is gonna argue that mission design of the main missions shouldn't have been more open. But the game consists of more than that, and it is not exactly impossible to simply play the way it is designed and therefore not run into these issues all that often. There is more to immersion than that.

But yes, I agree its too strict mission parameters are the biggest (and only significant) flaw of RDR2.
    Perfectly. At least on my PC. No crashes, no bugs, stable 60fps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Citizen Arcane

Citizen
    Yes! Dolphin and CEMU are working great, and there's also a switch emulator in development

^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So where do I find an ISO of this Nintendo game?

^ Top  
  15. Citizen Arcane

Citizen
    Arrgh!! What sorta question is that, ya landlubber!? Of course we law abiding sailors only emulate games we legally aquired!

Show Spoiler
    ƃɹo˙ɹǝʞɔɐɹʇnɹ

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    It becomes open world, but all the missions are linear as hell, and bogged down with super slow and "immersive" moments. The game excels more at "make your own fun" stuff like robbing people or whatever.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    They are definitely not the only significant flaw in this overrated game (boring storylines with equally dull characters and completely broken arcs and pacing come to mind, as does a relatively boring combat system made way too easy and pointless by bullet sponge health and things like dead-eye). But even if you ignore those, saying this is the only flaw misses a bigger point, and is equivalent to saying "Tasting like shit is the only flaw with shit as a major food group".

It's not that the strict mission parameters, as you say, somehow make the overall game worse. It's that they literally go against the entire fundamental point of open world games. RDR2 is a schitzo game, trying at the same time to be an open world game with all these systems (animals, hunting, robberies, etc) and to also be an extremely linear Call of Duty type game when it comes to its actual missions. Imagine playing Call of Duty set in GTA, and you will understand why this just doesn't work.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    m8 why are you pointing this out as a flaw when you're the same autist that proved you didn't understand or pay attention to any of the characters?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    GTA has suffered from this too, though. More often than not, the more elaborate missions are linear obstacle courses where you hit one checkpoint after another. It's been a glaring flaw in the series since the GTA3 days, although probably not quite as bad as RDR2 from what I'm reading.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    Thank you, captain obvious, for repeating the obvious;

Doesn't work for you. Works perfectly fine for many others, me included.

^ Top  
  21. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    So do reality television, Fifty Shades of Grey, and Oblivion.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    finished tutorial chapter 1. Now im hunting game around camp in chapter 2.

This console UI is annoying. Im not sure I can call it UI even, finding anything is a chore. Got no idea how to craft and do most of the things, im supposed to adjust my outfit(its too hot) but I got no idea how, there appears to be no proper inventory?

^ Top  
  23. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Look around the camp, there is a trunk somewhere near your bed. That's your wardrobe. People used to keep their clothes in trunks.

BTW, regarding the above discussion... people like to say they want realism, but they don't really want realism. You want realism in a western game - stop shaving and bathing for days, and install one of those sex toys in front of your PC so that while you are riding in the game you are riding in real life. Let your butt actuallty get sore from the saddle.

Also, do you want realistic aiming and shooting too? Good luck, if someone implements controls where your wrist is controlled separately from your elbow and shoulder you wouldn't hit anything.

RDR2 is just what it aims to be - a perfect "western feelz" game, and if you ditch the main story - a murderhobo simulator of unsurpassed detail and visual quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    thats a good start.
    how do I deal with plants? My satchel is full, I cant seem to donate nor craft in camp?

^ Top  
  25. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Behind Van Der Linde's tent, there is an open ledger and a wooden box. That's where you go to donate. Generally, you have to keep your eyes peeled in this game, and don't be afraid to go by intuition.

Food, skins and animal parts should go to the fat guy with the top hat, the cook, whatever his name was. If you go to his stall, he will automatically show up there.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.