Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I sorta wish that he goes full fan-service and doesn't make it "too smart for its own good".
I have enough edgy games in my library.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh no. Much worser things can happen.
Yeah like trying to "attract a new audience" full of millennial/zoomer human refuse.

Guybrush will now be "re-imagined" as Personbrush Threepwood, nonbinary swashbuckling person of color, dropping sassy one-liners before single-handedly slaying entire armies of white men despite having no training. All puzzles will be tested by 3 year-olds. If they can't solve it in 4 minutes, it gets cut from the game. Nothing will interfere with the CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE of our latest point and click adventure.

LeChuck will still be the bad guy but will have orange hair and encourage personal responsibility.

Divinity: Original Sin
well, Curse of Monkey Island will actually still be canon...

How tho? COMI starts off right after 2 ends. If you want to set another game right after 2 ends, they can't both be canon.

I don't know, but COMI doesn't start immediatelly. It's starts with guybrush lost at sea for days. We don't know how he ended up there...

I can't remember if the end explains the events between mi2 - mi3, I mean, how guybrush escaped the circus... I guess Ron will fit in this window.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also, for the "Curse of Monkey Island is teh bezt"-crowd - there's a large chunk of the game missing right at the end, like a cutscene that bridges the end of (IIRC) Chapter 5 with Guybrush suddenly finding himself in a rollercoaster. The cutscene was removed due to the disc space running out.

And yes, there's plenty of space to squeeze in a game between MI2 and MI3.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Yeah like trying to "attract a new audience" full of millennial/zoomer human refuse.

With art like this he is already trying to attract a new audience. Let's hope at least that the gameplay doesn't disappoint and it's not woke.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope the art won't suck and that Guybrush's outfit is closer to MI2 than any of the other games, his look in MI2 was the best.

7553.jpg

Drop Duck

Learned
The Curse of Monkey Island was the best game in the series and this looks like a flash game. Wouldn't mind a new Monkey Island game but where is the hype coming from? The old name attached to the project? If he still had it why wouldn't he have been pumping out adventure game hit after hit until now? Thimbleweed Park didn't even reach Wadjet Eye quality. Gilbert was also not the only one behind the first two games, how many others will be making a return? Any background artists? Curb your enthusiasm. If this turns out better than Ghost Pirates Of Voojo Island then it might be an okay throwback but catching lighting in a bottle doesn't happen after the third time. What really made Monkey Island great was not only the people involved but LucasArts itself.

Disagree. TP blew anything Wadget out of the water, in many ways.
You would have to be a particularly nasty anti-semite to think that Thumbleweed Park can even compare to The Shivah.
(actually, some of those backgrounds seem like touched up renders, similar to Syberia)
Barely touched up at all. A much better example would be The Whispered World or Chains of Satinav.

EKeZgX9.jpg

byUd3Do.jpg

Star Citizen

Learned
Not a fan of the art design as seen in that trailer. It has that sorta generic sterile modern cartoon feel to it, also is that the OG VA for Murray? Seems sorta low energy. Still amped to play it tho.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Speaking as someone who never played the first two Monkey Island games as a child, and only played the second two*, I feel nothing for this. I'll wait to care until I see something more than a teaser. Doesn't really help that out of all the modern artstyles, they picked one of the worst.
*ironically enough, this is sort of the same situation I'm in whenever someone talks about Dr. Brain, albeit the 4th one and one the the Knowledge Adventure ones.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I don't like the art style either but it has a vector-like potential that should allow more animations for a lower budget, and hence a lenghtier game.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do people really dislike Monkey Island 3? I thought it was the funniest in the entire series.

Wouldn't go as far as the funniest, but I felt it was a strong game overall.

Probably would have been better though with Gilbert's presence at the writing table.

Drop Duck

Learned
Also, for the "Curse of Monkey Island is teh bezt"-crowd - there's a large chunk of the game missing right at the end, like a cutscene that bridges the end of (IIRC) Chapter 5 with Guybrush suddenly finding himself in a rollercoaster. The cutscene was removed due to the disc space running out.
I agree that the worst thing you could say about CMI is that there should have been more of it. Meanwhile the ending to MI2 still makes me angry.

This new game has a website up and running and the background art there is what we can expect of the new game visually.

https://returntomonkeyisland.com/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I agree that the worst thing you could say about CMI is that there should have been more of it.

*sigh* What I meant is that calling Curse the best MI-game when it has missing chunks in it is Self-Delusion at its finest, but whatever floats your raft.

This new game has a website up and running and the background art there is what we can expect of the new game visually.

https://returntomonkeyisland.com/

Thanks for this. Not making a final call here, but this looks passable to me, at least.

WallaceChambers

Learned
CMI is dope, some people consider it the best. For me, it's a fantastic game but sticks too close to the Secret of Monkey Island formula and is less special as a result. It almost feels like a remake sometimes compared to LeChuck's revenge. It's my second favorite in the series, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom