Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reverse engineering FO2

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For some reason, reimplementations and reverse engineers don't get the attention of the mods that they deserve. Baldur's Gate didn't get squat from getting a reimplementation of its engine, GemRB. Not even some decent non-integer zoom.

Case in point: this thread is dead, nobody cares.

Another interesting point is that in some undetermined future, AI will be advanced enough to reverse engineer any binary. Probably in our lifetime. This will make games easier to mod right from the get go.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
i'm brofisting bester, hoily fuck
i think that nothing good came out GemRB for simple reason: iirc bg1/2 modding community was mostly dead after ~~2010, modding scene was most active up to ~~2007-2008
irrc GemRB started in 2005 and even in 2011 still not a single infinity engine game was fully playable.
Infinity Engine was originally RTS engine and maybe I am wrong, but if GemRB provides "faithful implementation of original engine" - it also provides problems which occur if someone decides to do a global and serious mod.
Ofc, with time and effort some problems might be solved, but it seems truly autistic dedicated modders prefer to work with ToEE engine (which modifed version of Arcanum engine). I guess people finally realized that maybe BG franchise wasn't THAT good and they were just blind or naive iin their days of youth.

index.php

Arcane
Fallout 2 Community Edition January 2023 (version 1.2)

Welcome to the January 2023 release of Fallout 2 Community Edition. There are many updates in this version, here are some key highlights:
  • Improved rendering - Significant boost to performance on large resolutions (and battery life on mobile devices). See #165 for tech notes.
  • iOS support - Yes, Fallout 2 can be finally run on iOS (albeit not hassle free, see readme for installation instructions). The controls are far from being perfect, but at least it runs smoothly both on iPhone and iPad (#167).
  • Worldmap Improvements - A couple of enhancements that makes worldmap more visually appealing.
  • Combat and AI - Some fixes to expected combat stuff and improvements to AI.

Sfall​

Despite the integration of Sfall being a top priority, there is not much progress here.
@sonilyan implemented support for wide interface bar (#188). Together with side panels (fa058f2) you can enjoy familiar Sfall look in CE. One thing to note is that appropriate art should be unpacked and stored in your data directory. I'm sure many of you don't understand what that means, just hold your breath for next release.
Notable improvements:
  • Stretchable splash screen (8a4ce6c)
  • Game mode tracking (dc90beb)
  • Custom message lists support (fe9ba91)
  • Dialog options numbering (897ff2b)
  • Some scripting functions (tracked in #200)

Worldmap Improvements​

One of the coolest update and my personal favorite for this release - fade in/out animation when using worldmap (cc1562b).
Notable improvements:
  • Added shadow to city labels (248d6df)
  • Fixed car disappearing after using town map (e02dcdf)
  • Fixed special encounter blinking icon (95cc863)
  • Fixed worldmap position calculation (3ec827d)
  • Fixed some visual artifacts (9976728, b5701fb)

Combat and AI​

@drjfaust fixed several combat bugs with #204 which were unnoticed since Reference Edition. With ad38607 wandering NPCs will no longer ignore player and will join the fight on sight.
There is an improvement to "Whomever is attacking me" party member behaviour (3425926). The party members will no longer switch targets randomly (especially in big fights). Instead they will try to keep fire on their initial target as long as this target keeps attacking dude.
In addition to this, there are changes to how AI is using drugs (0e11569). It includes Sfall fixes and improvements and adds some randomization to the picking process. Instead of using first available drug (according to internal order of items in inventory), we group drugs into buckets (primary desires and everything else) and randomly pick from one of the buckets.

Mods​

Some improvements and fixes have been made to run Nevada and Sonora. These mods (at least their original versions) do not require Sfall, but have unexpected scripting style, which resulted in several crashes. Please open up an issue if you've completed either Nevada or Sonora.
There is a separate list for tracking progress towards Olympus support (#200). Most of unimplemented functions are used in unnecessary global scripts like party controls, so it's likely playable.
Some examples of errors discovered and fixed:
  • Fixed testing pointers for nulls (ad9b858)
  • Fixed ini section parsing (a70912d)
  • Fixed color setters (01f264e)
  • Fixed selecting scripted windows (9c6daa4)
  • Fixed setting scripted button handlers (8ee0f47)
  • Fixed storing pointers in global variables (6c03e4e)

Android​

@sonilyan identified one of the memory alignment issues (#187). This kind of bugs usually lead to crashes, but totally compiler/environment/processor dependent. This explains why the game crashed on some Android devices.
Eventually more undefined behaviours were found, the last one was fixed with 2714dc1. Thanks to @APAmk2 for promptly confirming this issue is finally resolved.
#206 added support for on-screen keyboard.

Other​

There are over a hundred of other fixes and improvements which can be found here. Thanks everyone for your contributions to Fallout 2 Community Edition.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
People who are happy about iOS or Android are obviously old dad players who can barely spare half an hour on this, so they're not worth it - wasted effort, shit update.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Alexander Batalov took it up on himself in trying to reverse engineer FO2.
For more info:
https://medium.com/@alex.batalov/reverse-engineering-fallout-2-5dad1421de21

you can even assist in helping the mad lad out if ya feel like
https://github.com/alexbatalov/fallout2-re

for those that are interested
Isn't it easier to write the game again, and make the game more compatible with everything? Vulcan or OGL and do stuff. Or create 3D models and have the game in full 3D.

Jigby

Augur
The CE versions use SDL2 so they're already as compatible as you'd expect from C/C++ code.

One of the goals is to be as close to the originals as possible so every Lilura of the world is satisfied. The RE versions are basically indistinguishable for your average Skyway that has completed the game 7 times. If there is some difference, it most likely stems from the fact that compilers are different and the compiler optimizations are different. But this produces infinitesimal deltas that you'd have to know where to look for.

The CE versions are basically vanillas + reconstruction of highres + reconstructions of sfall + additional bugfixes that are not present in the original sfall. Also the code is ported to 64 bit, since 32 bit is being phased out. On Mac it's gone, On Linux it's a 3rd class citizen. I don't really care about the mobile versions... The CE versions are obviously incomplete and WIP.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Having full access to engine and code will allow more comprehensive mods to take place - if there are people to make them

is Russian scene modding Fallout games is still alive in general? I don't think anybody on western part of the world is still doing it anymore to make total conversion

Technomancer

Liturgist
For some reason, reimplementations and reverse engineers don't get the attention of the mods that they deserve.

It really depends, true in general but still can go either way. For example recently some modders rebuild the engine for old console Jak games from PS2 era and ported it to PC supporting many modern features, like 4K. And people started building custom level mods etc.

https://opengoal.dev/

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Having full access to engine and code will allow more comprehensive mods to take place - if there are people to make them

is Russian scene modding Fallout games is still alive in general? I don't think anybody on western part of the world is still doing it anymore to make total conversion

Sonora is a relatively new TC, i doubt the team would just vanish. I know Olympus guys are making the sequel but it won't be on Fallout engine. Non the less should be mentioned.

From non russian ones: I think Fallout Yesterday (Van Buren on f2 engine) is still being developed. The guy who makes it sounds like a murican. A smaller scale mod like Fallout Talking Heads Addon development is going well, there is even a separate WIP mod to it with some voice acting. Restoration Project was still being updated in 2022, just not by killap.

Last edited:

Jigby

Augur
There's now a version of the reversed FO1 engine. Insane. The definitive go-to version.

https://github.com/alexbatalov/fallout1-re
https://github.com/alexbatalov/fallout1-ce

:incline:
I still think Fallout Et Tu is the definitive go-to version. However things might change depending on what people do with this Community Edition. Maybe this will help Sduibek improve on Fallout Fixt, which has been dormant for such a long time?
If sfall is reimplemented I think there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to use Et Tu scripts on FO2:ce. Maybe even FO1:ce with some small adjustments? I think it will come down to how close you want the game to be to the originals.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

I will ask Nevada guy about his opinion of that conversion

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom