Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Revisiting Old Games (Again)

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I don't get the love for LTTP. It was one of the games that made me re-evaluate my Zelda fandom. The action is very mundane, even the bosses, and the puzzles are either match the peg (item) with the hole (location) or very obvious environmental ones.

For puzzles you're better off playing a proper Jap puzzler e.g. Solomon's Key 2, for top down sword swinging action Ys Oath or Origin, or if you want something contemporary and akin to Zelda 3 then the Story of Thor games.

I guess what I'm saying is that Zelda 3 might be OK, but it's like at the bottom of a very long list of games you should play depending on what you're after.

Right now the only Zeldas I can stomach are the first two, the first only when played a certain way, and to a lesser extent the 64 ones but more as sandboxes. I guess BotW is an OK sandbox too.

Falksi

Arcane
I don't get the love for LTTP. It was one of the games that made me re-evaluate my Zelda fandom. The action is very mundane, even the bosses, and the puzzles are either match the peg (item) with the hole (location) or very obvious environmental ones.

For puzzles you're better off playing a proper Jap puzzler e.g. Solomon's Key 2, for top down sword swinging action Ys Oath or Origin, or if you want something contemporary and akin to Zelda 3 then the Story of Thor games.

I guess what I'm saying is that Zelda 3 might be OK, but it's like at the bottom of a very long list of games you should play depending on what you're after.

Right now the only Zeldas I can stomach are the first two, the first only when played a certain way, and to a lesser extent the 64 ones but more as sandboxes. I guess BotW is an OK sandbox too.

Bosses are certainly a cakewalk, but the rest of the game is just fucking brilliant IMO. Everything is just interwoven superbly. Certainly not sure how you can call it mundane, new enemies & situations are constantly thrown at you, as are new items & ways of dealing with them.

It's all there in my thoughts on it why I like it anyway. If none of that floats your boat fair enough, but out of all the games which I've played in this thread so far, LTTP is definitely one of the classics.

I have tried playing Story of Thor a few times, but found that incredibly boring end empty. I'll be giving it another go later down the line though, don't like to write games off after just a few attempts.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I'm just glad there's still people on the codex discussing the classics not everyone has to feel the same way about each title.

Anyway, what I like about Story of Thor is that it tried to be a scoring action adventure. You're actually penalized for e.g. getting hearts, which you get only if you die as kind of an "awww you're struggling, here's a leg up" lol. When you play it that way you have to learn to fight well, and it's pretty involved.

Falksi

Arcane
Decapattack/Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken - Megadrive

RC5Om7R.jpg

^Magical Hat

Obscure random Japanese bollocks. I love it and always have. When ordering posters & artwork for my gaming rooms, I'm almost always drawn to the artwork with the Jap writing & style attached. I vividly remember seeing a small snippet about this game in one of the Jaz Rignal mags, and the then lush graphics & outlandish name drew me straight in. Fuck knows how I ended up getting it with it being a Jap import, but I do remember it sitting in my collection for absolutely ages. But that said, I never had it down as a classic either. Decapattack was a Euro reskin with a few tweaks, which I have played but never owned.

What a weird game. And that's not just referring to the presentation & general setup of both versions of the game, but what an utterly bizarre game in the context of the 16-bit era. See, it's a simple platformer. Nothing different there, but it's also got something strangely unique about it when you sew it's mangled limbs together. It shouldn't work. If I sit here and break down the individual aspects of the game, it's actually pretty meh. But....it does work. In fact it's one of the most absorbing and enveloping platformers on the system.

The best way I can think to describe it, is a "holiday" platformer. See there's no major challenge to progress through levels. There are enemies, there are pits of lava which instantly kill etc. etc. but if you take your time you can avoid most obstacles quite easily. There's a ton of items to find, so much so that you'll easily have enough to see you through the game before the halfway point, and most items other than the robot guerilla power up aren't much other than gimmicks either. Extra lives are absolutely thrown at you by the bucket load too, so even when you do die there's no panic on. But in the Japanese version you do always have to be a bit careful, as one hit without holding your collectable egg weapon, and you're dead. So whilst you can be very relaxed, you can't entirely switch off either.

The Euro reskin Decapattack makes a fair few noteable tweaks to the gameplay, one of which is giving you an energy bar. On the flipside some of the enemies have now gained a few projectile attacks, are slightly more aggressive, and the abundance of extra lives has been reduced significantly too. Decapattack controls slightly tighter & better too IMO, so overall even though there's not THAT much to choose between them both, the gameplay is definitely better and has a more refined balance in the European version. I'd say go for whichever appeals to you the most, but Decapattack is definitely most well rounded & fleshed-out out of the two.

c0OFL9P.png

^Decapattack

Level design is probably it's biggest strength. The stages are usually quite large & designed with exploration in mind, and there's often various routes available to the exit. So the majority of the game is spent leisurely coasting along and finding a way out these levels fairly easily, but because of said design you can just sit back & enjoy them. Also every 3 or 4 levels you have to acquire an item to progress and thus it then becomes necessary to explore the levels more thoroughly, as opposed to exploration being optional. This is where the game is at it's best, as scouring each nook & cranny for that key token really makes you appreciate the stages. As mentioned earlier, the general items themselves, whilst handy, aren't particularly mind blowing either. So there's no real major incentive to keep exploring. But I found myself doing just that, because it just felt kinda steady & fun.

Mind you, that music starts to get annoying around 2/3rds of the way in with both versions. There's some decent tunes, but there's not very many of them, and they get recycled very often. This is definitely a game to play with one of your fave albums playing in the background.

But it's just fun. It just draws you in, and chills you out. I'd had my fill by around the 3/4s mark and only played on to see the ending, but between the laid back style; open, varied stages; funky bosses; and overall groovy game vibe I really enjoyed myself.

Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're looking for a more stoner type game to kick back to, you could do far worse than this. Personally I love it.

:4/5:

Falksi

Arcane
King of The Beach - PC

BrB77f1.jpg

King of the Beach. A term used by me & my mates for the fat bald bloke who stood at the end of the beach with his hands on his hips, as if he owned the entire beach & in fact the entire world. There was always one on every holiday we went on. Here's me around 10 years ago taking my spot as King of The Beach in Portugal.....

l5jrnWO.jpg

0lfHSly.jpg

Anyway. We used to play football on the beach, which don't half fuck you up after a few pints, but volleyball was for hot studs with beach bodies, not us louts. So when ValeVelKal recommended King Of The Beach, it was time to start living the dream again.

There's definitely something to be said about easy to pick up & play games like this which require little thought. They're never gonna last long, but it's just so nice to kill 20 odd minutes doing something which requires little effort. As a game there really isn't much to it as such, just volleyball in computer form. It plays really simply, but is advanced enough to include most setups & hits which you can do in volleyball, including a camera-show dive. I also did have fun using that F1 button to influence the ref. Even though it's a gimmick, it made me feel McEnroe-esq, which I liked.

I also never realized that you actually need to score 2 points on the trot to score 1 point in volleyball. You learn something new every day, and in the context of the game this made for a very nice push & pull dynamic, where I'd take more risks at certain points. The weight of the ball feels really good when hitting a shot, and I was surprised just how much influence I had over it's direction. It's also surprising how satisfying it is linking up with your team-mate. Yeah you want to smash his head into a wall at times, but the team-play here is definitely a highlight.

The more a played of it though the more it wore thin on me, and I'd had enough after around 4 night playing 20-30 min at a time. One of my particular gripes was that I couldn't seem to move diagonally, although I'm not sure if that was just down to the version I was playing, as I tried the NES version and you can on that? I also found it hard to judge the ball at times, but again that might be just my incompetence.

Most annoyingly though was the total lack of tits, legs and fanny throughout. It's all very much Top Gun-esq, playing with the boys, and some bouncing bozjonks somewhere along the way would have been very welcome.

I can't really score it too highly as I grew tired of it very quickly, but I'm glad I gave it a go. It was certainly worth blasting on for a few nights, but I can also think of many other "quick blast" games which I'd sooner be on instead. It's the type of game which would fit great in a California Games 2021 compilation.

:2/5:

Falksi

Arcane
Fair enough.

This game is massively fun ini local multiplayer.

Since we are there, can I propose (two different genres) :

- North & South https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_&_South_(video_game)
- Wing Commander I

Tbf I play most these games multiplayer with the family, but with this one I only played it on mi tod simply due to our lass & mates being busy. I'll give it a multiplayer go at some point though. Although, with the lack of diagonal movement I might try the NES version.

Ah Wing Commander 1 :) , yeah I'll give both a blast, thanks for suggesting. Need to catchup on some of these half played games first though. Got around 6 I'm halfway through.

Appreciating the suggestions dude.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Fair enough.

This game is massively fun ini local multiplayer.

Since we are there, can I propose (two different genres) :

- North & South https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_&_South_(video_game)
- Wing Commander I

Tbf I play most these games multiplayer with the family, but with this one I only played it on mi tod simply due to our lass & mates being busy. I'll give it a multiplayer go at some point though. Although, with the lack of diagonal movement I might try the NES version.

Ah Wing Commander 1 :) , yeah I'll give both a blast, thanks for suggesting. Need to catchup on some of these half played games first though. Got around 6 I'm halfway through.

Appreciating the suggestions dude.
Yeah, I definitely remember the game having diagonal movement even on PC. Though on PC it was 2 players maximum, so either cooperative or blaming the AI for your loss against your buddy :).

Machocruz

Arcane
Although I've always been a mark for Castlevania, Bloodlines was just ok to me. Like Hyperstone Heist, felt like Genesis users were getting scraps from Konami compared to Nintendo. The smaller sprites (compared to CV4) were disappointing at the time, as was getting two nobodies instead of a proper Belmont character. My kid mind was thinking it took so long for Sega console owners to get the good third party properties, yet we didn't get the full royal treatment. Kids are dumb.

I think the highlight is the soundtrack, which introduced some new classic themes to the series, but until now I had never thought about the lack of old CV classic songs. Could only have helped the game to have them.

Kings of the Beach (NES) caught my attention in the old game mags. Really wanted to play it, but I didn't own a NES and none of my friends had the game. I though it looked so cool at the time. Konami/Ultra always had better, hipper visuals than most of the other game companies then, so it probably looked more impressive than other sports games. Because looking at it now, it looks mundane as fuck. I do kind of miss the childhood ability to 'enhance' everything you see.

Falksi

Arcane
Although I've always been a mark for Castlevania, Bloodlines was just ok to me. Like Hyperstone Heist, felt like Genesis users were getting scraps from Konami compared to Nintendo. The smaller sprites (compared to CV4) were disappointing at the time, as was getting two nobodies instead of a proper Belmont character. My kid mind was thinking it took so long for Sega console owners to get the good third party properties, yet we didn't get the full royal treatment. Kids are dumb.

I think the highlight is the soundtrack, which introduced some new classic themes to the series, but until now I had never thought about the lack of old CV classic songs. Could only have helped the game to have them.

Kings of the Beach (NES) caught my attention in the old game mags. Really wanted to play it, but I didn't own a NES and none of my friends had the game. I though it looked so cool at the time. Konami/Ultra always had better, hipper visuals than most of the other game companies then, so it probably looked more impressive than other sports games. Because looking at it now, it looks mundane as fuck. I do kind of miss the childhood ability to 'enhance' everything you see.

Good way of describing Bloodlines. I still enjoyed it and think there's plenty there to fulfill fans of action-platformers, but it is also like Castlevania "The Series" - a TV spin off (albeit a good one) of a much loved movie franchize. The two characters are indeed a huge letdown on all fronts. Very Coy & Vance Duke.

That second stage is my fave of all the new tunes. But it stuck out like a sore thumb when you line up to fight Dracula, and the classic CV theme kicks in. Everything lifts up a few notches and I was left wanting more.

I'm looking forward to trying KOB multiplayer at some point.

To be young and foolish again eh?

Falksi

Arcane
Super Star Wars - SNES

ciQyYRN.jpg

UFO's. No, not spaceships & aliens, but Super Nintendo software pirating devices. That's what I had to purchase to get a copy of Super Star Wars. I'd been after it for fucking ages, but could not nab a copy for love nor money. So I did like any respectable teenage gamer would do and turned to piracy instead. And what a mistake that was. Super Star Wars was the most buggy piece of crap going on there, and constantly fucking crashed. In fact most games did, and I may as well have flushed a few hundred quid down the shitter. But I learned that piracy is wrong, and obtained a copy legit around a year later. And I was, again, disappointed. Coz I though it was shit. Is it? Or were my bitter emotions protecting a man broken by throwing away a few hundred quid on a bag of wank piece of hardware?

Kinda. It is fun, and has a lot going for it, but it drops the ball plenty too. The fun in the game though comes from the fast-tempo'd & frantic action. You rarely get a second to breath and your trigger or jumping finger is almost always on the go. It's hectic, and it's exciting. In fact the whole game is geared up for you to "bully" & bludgeon your way through, rather than going for a precise approach. Bosses play into that philosophy, with the strategies required to beat them often relying heavily on you being as well powered as possible, and having collected as many life-extending light sabers as possible.

But this approach also has a big downside too, as said design leads to a lot of energy farming. It often makes more sense to take a hit, kill the enemy, and replenish your life than it does to spend your time trying to avoid being hit. Almost every creature drops life energy, and a lot of them spring and respawn out of nowhere, so it ultimately ends up with you advancing a few steps, taking a few hits along the way, killing a few enemies to replenish your life, advancing a few more, and repeat etc. It's not bad per say, because it controls nicely and plays well, so feels fun. But it just feels a bit trashy & cheap too.

Also, and this absolutely fucking slits my rizzer, even the smallest enemy can knock you all over the screen. You get pushed around like you weigh about as much as a daffodil, and it's annoying as fuck. Not only does this result in some deaths from mid-air collisions & being pushed off platforms, but it just feels horrible, and disconnects you from your sense of control over the character. Falling to your death down Death Star pit-holes because it's raining storm troopers? Oh dear. It's the entire trilogies worst aspect, and a truly awful design choice.

The game also suffers from a few other bad design choices too for me. For example, you're Luke Skywalker, you're several levels in, you meet Obi-Wan (ooops, Spoilers!!) and you get your (dad's) lightsaber!! So what follows?!? A level which throws Bantha's & an enemy boss at you which are dispatched FAR easier using a blaster. That's just amateur stuff. Any dev worth their salt would be giving you a level to go saber-crazy on, and giving you a real feel for it, but not here. None of these bad design elements affect the game enough to ruin it completely, but they do weigh it down.

But there's no denying that a large part of the game's appeal is playing as your childhood heroes, and blasting your way through well known locations. They make excellent use of the Star Wars score, with the timeless themes included throughout, but also in fairly clever ways too, which really capture the mood of the levels. The additional mode 7 speeder sections add a real welcome change of pace to proceedings too. They're nothing spectacular by any means, but are well executed enough to make that break enjoyable.

It's got a rep for being hard, but I really don't think it is overall, it's just that you hit a few brick wall sections every now and then. There's a few platforming ones in particular, and a few blind leaps of faith, which totally embody that era's bullshit at it's worst.

If I'm being brutally honest, I think that Super Star Wars can actually be a pretty bad game at times, but it's held together by it's high tempo action & a fun factor, backed by a satisfying feel & Star Wars connection. If you hear gamers referring to this as a "classic", it's a classic much in the way the film "Battle Beyond The Stars" is, not in the true classic sense as say an actual original trilogy Star Wars movie.

:3/5:

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Had a friend that swore these were the best Star Wars games. This is in a post-Tie Fighter, Jedi Knights, KOTOR world mind you. That's when I realized I was too elite for my friends.

Falksi

Arcane
Had a friend that swore these were the best Star Wars games. This is in a post-Tie Fighter, Jedi Knights, KOTOR world mind you. That's when I realized I was too elite for my friends.

He needs to sue whoever gave him his lobotomy. I'm just playing through the other 2 now, and can safely say that none of them come close to touching any of the 3 games you mention (or X-Wing for that matter).

Ugggghhhh, wait until you read my thoughts on Empire. Probably one of the worst games I've played on the list yet.

And no one needs retard friends. Kudos.

Falksi

Arcane
Super Empire Strikes Back - SNES

LTHok16.png

^The legendary Star Wars hairy boar. Couldn't shift for them in the movie.

And so after the disappointment of Super Star Wars, I wasn't gonna break my neck to buy this. I remember a "world exclusive" preview spread of it in Nintendo Magazine System looking awesome, but once bitten twice shite and all that. That was also a turning point for gaming magazines to me too. Up until then the front covers had always featured exclusive reviews of released games. NMS started walking the dark path of exploitation by using previews to snag buyers with false promise, and said dark path forever dominated their destiny. I have played this game numerous times over the years via emulation, but rarely stuck with it long enough to form an opinion on it.

And there's a reason for that. Because it's fucking wank.

Take all the bullshit & bad design choices from the original Super Star Wars, ramp them up to 11, and you have SESB. It gets off to an absolutely abysmal start, as the "push the player all over" mechanics of the original game return, but this time you start off on several levels of icy Hoth surfaces, whilst surrounded by loads more lethal environments and instantaneous deaths too. Icy surfaces aside, this setup carries on throughout most of the game, and now with less health replenishing items available than Super Star Wars too, so we've bypassed the realms of frustrating to downright spiteful. I'd honestly question whether anyone actually playtested this at all, as you have to farm to progress yet it takes far longer to farm now, and thus just drags things out. Especially as the game is also absolutely drowning up to it's blast shield in slow-down; it feels like Peter Jackson is directing the whole thing.

So it's hard, but unfairly so and you've also a constant barrage of bullshit to endure too. Yes you can eventually learn and progress, but the game doesn't make it any real fun to do so. There's rarely, if ever, any sense of reward or achievement, and making it through the levels & beating a boss is attritional experience rather than an enjoyable one (although boss fights aren't as tough as the rest of the game). Thankfully the lightsaber is actually useful from the off this time, as you often need that new-found ability to block attacks to survive. The additional force powers fall into that bracket too, and again are very welcome. But with all that said, the blaster still remains the better weapon overall by some way. Go figure.

And for a game based on such rich source material, the stages are absolutely flat as pancakes, dull as dishwater, and include a ton of copy-paste sections. The first 6 or so levels are all Hoth based, and so it feels like 1 giant long stage with a few bosses thrown in. And as for some of the enemies, I mean, electric eels which fry you when you stay in the water? WTF? You've this massive galaxy of aliens to draw from, you're a powerful pre-Jedi, and one of ways they felt this would translate into game form best was to have you attacked by electric eels, bats, boars and piranhas? Obi-wan wept.

The highlight of the game for me was playing as Han in his cool blue jacket, and fighting Vader as Luke. Two things most kids would dream of doing. That's it. There's your positives.

SESB is a truly fucking dire game, which just goes to show that some fucktards will fall in love with anything if it's packaged right. Hearing folk say they love this is like hearing someone tell you they love this pretty girl who sucks off all her co-workers, then gets home & fists their arse with gloves covered in broken glass every night, right before cooking them burned dog shit to eat for tea. Anyone with half a brain would walk away, but Super Empire Strikes Back proves just how stupid some people can be if they love the idea of something far more than the reality which is put in front of them. This reeks of a lazy, cash-grab, untested release, and should be avoided like the plague.

It gets a 1 simply because of it's connection with the franchise, and all the resulting Star Wars themes & characters which do feature in the game. I'd need injecting with a gallon of horsespunk to ever play this again. :deadhorse:

:1/5:

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Super Return of The Jedi - SNES

KqiI2sg.jpg

^SROTJ at it's visual best

And finally we have SROTJ. Now for some reason this seemed to pop up almost everywhere at the time. We had a big nosed skanker who'd travel round in his games van under the trading name of "Supa Swap". He'd turn up, spin us a load of bollocks about shit games. And whilst we'd try to pinch something from his van he'd impolitely keep his beady eyes on us, and be feeding us bull about how Super Bowling was the next big thing in gaming. This game was going cheapish with him, so I swapped some shit game for it on a random punt that, now 3 games in, they might have actually made a great Star Wars game for the SNES.

A few big changes make this game initially more enjoyable than previous entries on this system for sure. Firstly, each character is significantly different from each other, and now possesses special abilities which can make a huge difference to how you can approach a situation. It adds a massive and much needed set of extra dynamics which open the game up to different strategies, and keeps things far more interesting when you hit a sticky patch. Luke's powers in particular really spice things up, as does the fact the light-saber is no longer piss weak too. Also, the gameplay - whilst still ropey in some ways - has been far more refined too. They seemed to have recognized that games based around farming are generally more fun when farming doesn't take forever either, so it feels more like the first game in the series in this respect.

Things move with a slightly more considered beat too, which gives you more chance to drink in the Star Wars vibe. There's not the constant barrage of enemies which you had in SESB, instead you can find more places to catch your breath, and combat finally seems to have found a much better balance between frantic & purposeful. Platforming sections are also designed better than both games previous, with everything feeling more together & natural now too. But yes, you do still get tossed around like a rag doll though - not as much, but still enough to annoy significantly and drag the whole thing down. It's a mind-bogglingly shite choice of design which runs through all 3 games in the series.

The difficulty has been toned down hugely from Super Empire Strikes Back and a notable amount from Super Star Wars, maybe a bit too much of an over-correction tbh, but too easy is more fun than too frustrating. It has a better difficulty curve too, as later stages provide significantly more challenge than the earlier ones. However, level design is very hit and miss, and when it misses, boy does it miss. Spending ages searching round to find some way of climbing your way up to see Vader on Endor was probably the dullest level in the entire series, and turning the power generator into a platforming section is just weird.

And the whole series is a bit shit when it comes to how it interprets and delivers the Star Wars plot, but scenes like this just make it extra laughable.....

nqxWG9u.jpg

^Re-writes like this are littered throughout all 3 games, and would do Lucas' proud.

In fact if anything sums this series up it's that screen. You think you're getting Star Wars, but you're not. You're getting it's far rougher stunt double.

Despite the improvements, SROTJ is still not a particularly good game unfortunately. The flaws from the previous games are reigned in & polished off somewhat, but do still remain to a large degree, and not aren't changed enough to move it on from the original Super Star Wars too significantly sadly. Again it will give you quite a fulfilling feeling of being in the Star Wars universe and playing as your heroes, and with the additional abilities, characters & more balanced difficulty it's probably the best out of the series yet. It can be fun, but overall it's still some way short of being a great game.

Falksi

Arcane
King of Demons (Majyūō) - SNES

HtJ3kqW.png

Straight off the back of playing the incredibly overrated Super Star Wars series, I gave this very random game a whirl just for something to cleanse my pallet and prep me to play Wing Commander. I'd never heard nor touched it until 2021, and I don't even know how I ended up getting a copy. Kung Fury meets Devil May Cry meets Castlevania.

And what a way to cleanse the palette. The game contains some gloriously bizarre fantasy-horror enemies, stages and ideas. There's just such a lusciously rich mixture of flavours throughout that it proper drew me in big time, and feels like one of those quality niche B movies that only those ITK know about.

The gameplay itself is simple, snappy and satisfying. Very basic, but very well executed. When initially playing I missed the multi directional shooting mechanic which features in a lot of these types of games, but the game itself is designed and blended so well that said complaint was soon forgotten. There's something incredibly enjoyable about destroying an opponent with a Hadoken style blast one minute, then blasting the shit out of them with your Glock 19 the next. As you progress you can choose different power ups which morph you into various demonic beasts, each with varying levels of strength, speed & toughness. This again adds to that really nice spicy Kung-Cry-Vania feel, and it works practically well to add a slight layer of depth to proceedings. It's great stuff.

That said, there's not a lot of depth to the game as a whole in terms of secrets & different routes etc. But there are a few significant set of neat little features throughout which enhance it's flavour further. One example is your dead wife supporting you throughout if you "collect" her. She helps kill enemies like a lot of support beings in various games of this ilk, but if you lose all your health she sacrifices herself to replenish it. It's only a small touch, but for me it's an example of one of the nice practical touches which helps marry the action to the story.

Boss fights are the real highlight. Not only do you fight these outlandishly bizarre monsters, some of which look spectacular, but the boss patterns are really fun to learn and adhere to that great traditional standard of tough at first, easy when mastered. Most are very, very well crafted. Also, I'm not a fan of boss-rush games, nor would I say that this is one anyway, but it's not uncommon to fight several bosses on the spin, and yet because they're designed so well in terms of fighting patterns it still remains enjoyable. They either tend to be quick to kill, or if it's a drawn out battle patterns get changed up regularly to keep things interesting.

The health system is pretty cool, you level up with more kills which increases your health bar, but if you have to use a continue it resets health to it's bog standard amount, and when this happens later in the game it can be a real kick in the bollocks. Difficulty is also a bit uneven overall due to features like this, with occasional spikes not uncommon. It's not too jarring, as once you've enemy patterns down it doesn't matter too much anyway, but initially it can irritate. And yes, you'll die from mid-air hits too often for your liking too. One feature which can stay in the 90's.

And whilst the music & sound FX on the whole are mostly great, the funky mid-boss-fight tune - which is still a good tune in itself - gets repeated WAY too much, and becomes repetitive. And the main attack of the insect-demon form has a really grating sound too.

As mentioned the game is pretty basic, simple stuff, and doesn't do anything particularly ground breaking or stand out. But all it's parts just fit together so well, that the end product offers immensely fresh fun. It manages to marry it's B-movie vibe with great pacing & fun gameplay, and really scratches an itch for me. I adore the game, and it's a genuine hidden gem, which goes straight alongside some of my faves on the system, and gives me a fast Castlevania style fix.

Simple, satisfying, well-rounded action-platforming with a really delicious flavour.

:5/5:

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Ecco The Dolphin - Megadrive

AFw0259.jpg

My first glimpse of this was on a promo vid which came with Mean Machines SEGA, to be followed by it's review - "Ecco the Dolphin - 97% A Mega Drive classic without doubt, and a strong contender for best game ever! A unique underwater experience for those tired of unoriginal pop." Wow, that's some recommendation. Amazing how far a bit of originality could get you in an era drowning in shooters & suchlike. Needless to say, I purchased it without haste, and remember it fondly.

Few games have ever managed to combine such a fantastic blend of originality and atmosphere, especially in the first few levels where a conflicted sense of estranged sadness at losing your family, yet conversely having the freedom to have the run of the ocean engulfs you all at once. On the whole it does an incredible job of sucking you in to a mysterious ancient world under the sea, and the story's direction doesn't disappoint in terms of building on that from there either. Special mention must go to the music in particular, as it's nothing short of utterly fantastic, and really helps create that immersive atmosphere.

Ecco himself also controls wonderfully when it comes to acrobatics, and there's a real sense of thrive & fun weaving in, out and around the sea at high speeds. The whole underwater setup can take a bit of getting used to, but once you've got it down it gives you a really fun and bohemian rhapsody. But then we get to the core of the game itself, and it starts to stumble, quite badly at times too. Unfortunately instead of choosing to design the game so that it maximizes that sense of freedom & wonder, you instead spend a big portion of your time bogged down by physics puzzles. Some really fucking annoying ones too, which you often have to repeat several times over if you keep fucking them up (which isn't hard). It gets real old, real fast, and suddenly the game goes from being about thriving & finding yourself in this magic realm, to busy work. Especially as the controls at slower speeds are considerably more faffy too.

The stages themselves are quite padded out overall too, and you essentially repeat similar puzzles just in different, more testing ways. Swimming behind various objects is one example of one of it's puzzle solving methods which I grew well sick & tired of well before the game was over. In fact the game as a whole is a bit drawn out, and for me it would have been a much better experience for having some of the fat trimmed, some of the repetition removed, and being a tighter experience around 60% of the actual length which it is..

There are smatterings of combat, but exactly that - smatterings. That's no bad thing at all but, whilst the game's length & padding felt like an issue, it also felt it needed breaking up with a few more stages based around combat just for a change. The air + life energy limit can be a bit too tight at times too, largely due to the fact that the underwater feel & control of the game can make things a tad more random at times than they should be for games with such tight limits. But that does also add to the survival horror aspect of the game, so it's a bit of a necessary evil.

Ecco is a truly beautiful and unique game, and one which captures the alien underwater world it sets out to brilliantly, absolutely drowning you in immersive lushness in the process. But it crashes hard into some practical flaws which jar the whole experience too. I'd suggest everyone experience this at least once, and if playing it straight gets too much for you then use the passwords & invincibility cheats on the internet just to give the story & vibe a whirl. But even then you'll be fannying about with things which do your nut in, and overall it just drops the ball too much, and becomes too tiresome, to be anything other than average in today's day & age.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
. The air + life energy limit can be a bit too tight at times too, largely due to the fact that the underwater feel & control of the game can make things a tad more random at times than they should be for games with such tight limits.
This was my favorite part about the game. Real survival horror.

Falksi

Arcane
. The air + life energy limit can be a bit too tight at times too, largely due to the fact that the underwater feel & control of the game can make things a tad more random at times than they should be for games with such tight limits.
This was my favorite part about the game. Real survival horror.

That's a great point Lic. I'll add that to my previous post, as I guess it does help add to that aspect of the game.

Falksi

Arcane
Donkey Kong Country - SNES

3jFdd4i.png

^Ironic. The game is at least aware that it's no major challenge.

An innovative reworking of Donkey Kong's role in the gaming world, this wowed gamers back in the day with it's "next gen" graphics & presentation. Another game which I was originally excited for, I remember being initially blown away, loving it to bits for a day or two, then swapping it within a week.

I really, really don't like this game. That doesn't make it bad per say, I just find it almost insultingly shallow and a real fucking drag to play. It never gets out of second gear, and is one of those games which relies way more on memorization than reflexes, which just doesn't tickle my tail. Everything feels so ridiculously "one-step".

One of the main causes of said "one-step" complaint is the the lack of space on screen to maneuver, and how "cramped" it all is due to the big sprites. See when you play say Super Mario World, there's very often several things going off at once - e.g. as you jump over a baddie, you hit a box which releases a mushroom, and in the distance there are platforms moving, and an enemy firing a projectile, all in the same moment. However, in DKC it's pretty much "see enemy, kill it. See jump, make jump. See swing, make swing. See another barrel, aim for barrel" etc. There's no depth of action for you to be keeping an eye on in the distance.

Now it's not like this all the time, but on the whole I felt that I was usually dealing with only one or two things at a time, and it felt incredibly constrictive, child-like and basic. You're essentially playing a run of set pieces, and there's a notable lack of analogue chaoticness which occurs in other platform games. Also, again mostly because of the large sprite setup, it's also another game from that era where you'll take many a hits from things you run into off screen with no chance of avoiding them, and occasionally fall to your doom dropping to places you expect there to be a ledge. It's not a hard game, but skanky deaths are always tiresome.

Its also a very gimmicky game too. In some instances this keeps things fresh, with sections & levels made up of novelties such as launching you out of barrels, swimming underwater, travelling on mine carts etc. But it's not always done that well either. For example, the first mine cart level comes at you from nowhere, and not only do you have to get used to the new style of gameplay, but the level itself is again very dependent on memorizing it's route & obstacles, and thus creates a jarring difficulty spike which feels out of place. In fact the more you play, the more the whole game begins to feel like a gimmick in general. Blasting out of barrels is fun for a while, but it gets well old long before you finish the game.

One of the games strongest points though is the amount of secrets it contains, and how cleverly "hidden" some of them are. Some are hidden in plain sight but you'll miss them at first, then wonder how you ever did. The problem is however that most secrets often only reward you with extra lives, instead of something which changes the dynamics of the game or offers a new area to explore etc. and you'll have more than plenty of lives to see you through anyway. So it wasn't long before the neat little bonus games became more of a pointless chore than fun. These get even more annoying when on completion they transport you back to significantly earlier in the stage, meaning you have to replay a section which you've already just played not a few minutes ago.

A few puzzle elements start to drop into the game more as it progresses though, and whilst nothing outstanding, it does help vary the challenge and keeps things interesting. Also, on the whole the game's clearly had an absolute ton of effort & polish applied to it, as every aesthetic aspect of the game has been refined to a tee. In particular a few of the tunes are incredibly atmospheric, and very worthy of praise. A definite highlight, and my own personal favourite feature of the game.

DCK is ridiculous simplistic by the numbers romp, which stimulates in very rudimentary ways, and which relies hugely on trial & error. I see it very much as a kids game. I personally fucking hate it coz I'm a big sweaty man with chest hair and throbbing love spuds. So much of the game - such as it's bonus games - don't serve any real purpose, so I've more than had my fill of this to never return to it again. But, despite my significant disliking of it, I also can't deny that there's also been a lot of time & effort put into it, and that there is some stuff to enjoy and very simple fun to be had too.

Overall though my pulse was always set to normal, and my excitement levels never got above "Sunday afternoon". It's like holding hands with a girl for someone who's used to 6-way reverse gang bangs on cocaine.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
DKC looked too basic and straightforward to me when it came out, didn't see where the hype was coming from. I played it many years later and enjoyed it, but ultimately it was how it first appeared. Not fit to sit up there with Mario 3/World, or even the better Sonic games, that's for sure.

Falksi

Arcane
Earthbound - SNES

kfAGAYR.png

^High brow humour at it's best

Another "hidden gem" according to experts. Yeah the same experts who tell us Dragon Age 2 is a 9/10 game, and buggy 60-100 hour movies - sorry - games which play themselves are the best thing ever. Tried playing it through once in my late teens, got bored and dropped it.

It's a game pretty legendary for it's originality & quirkiness, and rightly so. It contains a really wonderful blend of grounded humour, grounded settings, yet a far out story with an often trippy & surreal vibe. In some ways it kind reminds me of being trapped inside a low budget Steven Spielberg film, or Disney's version of Twin Peaks. The humour occasionally falls flat, and when it does it sticks out like a sore thumb, but that's only on rare occasions, and for the most part it's really refreshing and raises many a smile. They also implement a brilliant blend between exploration, "roleplaying" and battles, with occasional fights occurring in towns. This just breaks things up nicely, and keeps things ticking evenly.

Combat is the typical turn-based JRPG fare, but played for laughs more than anything else. It feels a lot more reliant on luck than well thought-through strategies, as most enemies posses a few moves which can totally turn the tide of battle. So a lot of the time it's really about whether & when they decide to use those moves or not, and also who attacks first. Overall combat's not awful by any means, it's serviceable and feeds into the surreal comedy vibe, but it's not particularly great or fun either and can get very tedious. One neat touch though is that once you're obviously too strong for an enemy the battles are resolved automatically without a fight, which cuts a lot of grinding and BS out. Smart move, as for all it's splendor and charm, a sizeable portion of the game is spent being bored playing those fairly mediocre battles, and humour can only carry them so far.

In fact the game on the whole can often be as irritating as it is entertaining. For example, one enemy can "curse" you with an attack which rearranges which direction your d-pad inputs move you. It sounds funny in theory, but in practice there's absolutely nothing but frustration at walking in and out of the same exit 3 times over because of said d-pad changes. Inventory management can be a pain in the arse too. You can barely carry any items at all, and it soon gets really aggravating having to constantly fanny about with them all the time. Which wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't constantly throw new things at you to collect and try out, but it does.

There's also surprisingly less things to interact with than you'd think, and overall it really struggled to keep my attention at times. Despite being full of good things which are worthy of praise, it took me an absolute AGE to play through, as after 20-30min some form of annoyance would often make me want to stop playing. A lot of people will tell you it's worth it for the ending. I'm not one of them.

Earthbound is a very clever, extremely original & refreshing game, bogged down by some of it's practical aspects. It's easy to see why it gets branded a "classic" as few games out there have ever told such a story in such a quirky, surreal way, but in this day and age that may not be enough for everyone. Some nights Earthbound drew me in and charmed me, but others it either pissed me off or flat out bored me to tears. In today's era of cinematic gaming, I'd sooner play one of a million other JRPGs out there myself.

Falksi

Arcane
Speedball 2 - PC/Megadrive

JhCOD6z.png

^Shiny white unbreakable teeth

The Bitmap Brothers eh? Cadaver, Xenon 2, The Chaos Engine, Gods, Magic Pockets etc. these were another reason my younger self kept having his head turned from consoles towards the PC market. A constant release of quality games from the likes of these, Microprose and Lucasarts was hard to ignore. And they weren't even brothers either. After reading C&VG games magazine, I fell in love with the idea of Speedball long before I fell in love with the game itself. I even tried to manifest a physical version of it in the real world with my local Scout troop. Needless to say my attempts failed miserably, and looking back we didn't really need it anyway, as we played 1-rule hockey in the hall most weeks, that 1 rule being "no stick blows to the face". Speedball would have probably been less brutal. Good times :)

IMO Speedball 2 still remains probably one of the most complete sports games of any era. It has almost absolutely everything and, whilst the single player thrills are a bit short lived and a bit lacking after a while, on the flipside I can't think of many other sports games which give you what Speedball 2 does either. And that is a sports game which is ridiculous simple to get into, but also with enough layering & thematic value to rise it above most other games of that ilk, and the best sci-fi sports sim which I've played.

The game itself plays really well, with relentless fast paced & hard hitting action from the second it kicks off. You can pick up and play it within seconds, but the clever arena design and various pickups on offer mean you can employ various ways of scoring points, so it's not as simple as ploughing forward to the opposition goal every game. Especially as you'll want more money to buy a better squad, and littered around the arena is said moolah coinage to draw your attention away from goal.

And so to that end Speedball 2 does something which few sports games of that era did, and that's accept the fact that players will find ways of scoring goals which they can constantly rely on, and builds the games structure around that rather than ignoring it. Each match I find myself trying to employ the same goal scoring tactics, but because there's many of them, and because the variables for each match mean that some work at some points but don't at others, this means that it's not a straight forward choice to repeat those methods. Especially as each rival has different strengths & weaknesses too. Do I score another 10pts, do I go for the multiplier, or do I collect coins to upgrade my player? etc.

Initially though the League does become too easy against poor/average opposition once you've upgraded your squad a bit. It's not game breaking by any means, as playing it still remains a ton of fun, but the lack of tussle early on means you switch into auto-pilot for a significant amount of games until you progress further into the top tier. The players which you can acquire from the off are just too good too soon, and a first step of cheaper but poorer players would have naturally progressed things much better.

And let's not forget the gaffs and skanks. It somehow finds this perfect balance of incorporating cheap, comical fuck ups without ruining the game. One game I was deep in the opposition's half, I threw a misplaced pass intended for my CF through the warp hole by mistake, it bypassed everyone and rolled in front of my keeper, and I mistimed my slide and moved him out the way too for a glorious own goal. These "what happens next" moments really add to the fun, especially against mates when immense piss taking is on the cards.

Speedball 2 is an instant, pick up & play, no nonsense, bish-bosh-bash mix of sports & violence, which is blended great to boot. Despite too many matches being too easy, it still remains a unique and highly polished package, which offers enough to be worth a place in your collection.

Falksi

Arcane
Wing Commander - PC/SNES

s86VHb2.png

Wing Commander was a game which I was vaguely familiar with as a kid, but with a PC out of my price range I kinda blocked out even the thought of entertaining games such as these until a later date. My mate had an Amiga 500 but full-on flight sims were his bag, and the closest he ever came to a game with combat in it was Midwinter 2 (which I used to love). It was a combination of X-Wing, X-Com and my dad landing a big bonus a few years later which made a PC possible, but back here in 1990 I was adjusting to life at a new school and most my mates were consoletards, so this passed us by. ValeVelKal suggested it, so chocs away, time to spread my little wings.

I had a good laugh with this, and it offered a fair amount more than I expected. Being brutally honest I was prepared for the worst looking at the screens, thinking it looked way too inferior from the likes of Tie Fighter to be able to enjoy it, but I did.

I really liked how they handled the story and space operatic side of things. The branching story & fact that the odds for later battles vary depending on how well you do in earlier ones are excellent touches, and ones which really immersed me in he game. Interacting with wingmen & other staff felt great too, built up a nice sense of camaraderie, and added to that vibe. This translated very nicely onto the battlefield as well, where the sense of gratification from catching an enemy in a crossfire was magnified even further when the other half of that crossfire was someone I'd been having a gab with earlier. Similarly, when you lose a wingman it hits home far more because of this too (not to mention a good wingman felt very valuable). It added a great sense of purpose & gaming geography to everything, and these more personal touches gave me something which the likes of X-wing lacked.

The combat itself is very serviceable, and quite fun a large percentage of the time, but there's also no denying that it's jarring playing something like this after the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series too. It's a fair bit more choppier, occasionally I found it a bit difficult to tell what exactly was going off at some points, and I felt a bit cramped in the cockpit at times. But it's still very playable and there's plenty to enjoy, with a great sense of satisfaction to be gain from making those all important kills.

The difficulty does seems to spike here and there at random at times, which seemed odd, and after a while some of the missions did start to feel very similar to one another. But it wasn't a major issue, it just meant I'd leave it for a day before returning to it. And the dynamic music is a great touch too, as it conducts your emotions exactly like a space opera should, lifting both the combat & game as a whole very nicely.

It didn't blow me away, but I think a game like this is a hard sell when you've grown up accustomed to the likes of X-Wing & Tie Fighter. Far too often I instinctively found myself wanting to employ tactics which had been burned into me from that series, such as re-directing my shield energy, so that was just something I had to get over. I still enjoyed it though, enough to purchase the next 3 games in the series, and I will be playing them over the coming months too.

SNES Version

Uggghh. Whilst not awful, moving from the PC version to this was a significant drop. Considerably more choppy to both look at and play, and I couldn't have played this for more than 60 min max, before deciding to never touch it again in favour of the PC version. It's still not unplayable, but compared to the PC version it was pretty shit, and it's no contest as to which version comes out on top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom