Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I guess it sucks for people who don't want a Facebook account but i think the thing is overblown. Its not like Zucker couldn't already collect data with the Oculus client.
Are you seriously THAT fucking retarded? Are you not seeing what is happening here?

Borg suckerzerg will not get any privacy in hell. And believe me it will be describable as hell.

Yeah sure buddy. Did you write this hot take with your Microsoft, Google or Apple device?
I used my technodystopic microsoft device without which I am unable to Gayme.

You could play some games on a Linux system, so you choose to live in privacy hell too my friend in order to play the games you want to play most. We don't disagree in principle, only in detail.

Are you saying that willingly entering 80% techno dystopia is okay because we are at 60% already?

No i don't, but i question whether that difference is 20% like you claim. Maybe i am missing something here, but if i am feeding Facebook zero data other than what is needed (which is exactly what you also give to Steam by the way), what terrible fate will fall upon me for being a little Facebook data node rather than being a little Valve data node?
Sorry for flipping ouyt at you earlier, but yeah I think it is even worse than 20%.

Basically what Dexter said. Thanks for pointing that stuff out Dexter.

Venser

Erudite
ElbfzkpU8AAmyPK

PSVR users can now request a free PS5 camera adaptor from Sony

https://camera-adaptor.support.playstation.com/en

Venser

Erudite
Unfortunately PSVR will only work in the compatibility mode on PS5 and there won't be PS5 games for the current PSVR headset. PS5 version of Hitman 3 won't have a VR mode.
I was mostly looking forward to PS5 for VR. A lot of current PSVR games run bellow the resolution of the headset display because even PS4 Pro doesn't have enough power. PS5 could make the games look much better even on the current PSVR headset but unforturnaly Sony doesn't wanna go that route.

Confirmed: Hitman 3 And No Man’s Sky PS5 Versions Don’t Support PSVR, Headset Can’t Play PS5 Games

If you buy the PS5 versions of Hitman 3 or No Man’s Sky in the coming months, you won’t have access to either game’s PSVR support found in their PS4 versions, as the company has not announced PSVR games on PS5.

On the subject of Hitman 3, a Sony spokesperson told UploadVR via email that you’ll need the PS4 version of Hitman 3 to play it in VR since the PSVR operates as a backward compatible device. The representative then went on to clarify, “We have not announced PS5 titles for PS VR.”

No New PSVR Games On PS5

This follows months of speculation around how PS5 might embrace PSVR when it launches in mid-November. We’ve always known that the new console would support the headset for backwards compatible PS4 titles. But many had hoped new PS5 games could integrate VR, taking advantage of the console’s improved horsepower while continuing to use the same HMD. You should be able to play PS5 games in your PSVR headset using Cinematic Mode still, but there won’t be any actual VR games that support PSVR on PS5 it seems.

But those hopes have quickly eroded. For starters, Sony confirmed PS4-era controllers like the DualShock 4 and the Aim controller couldn’t support PS5 games, which called into question how potential VR games on PS5 would track controllers. Then, when Hitman 3 announced full support for PSVR earlier this year, developer IO Interactive said it was “working to finalize the specifics for how PS VR owners can enjoy Hitman in VR.” At the time neither the studio nor Sony would confirm if this meant the PS5 version wouldn’t support PSVR.

Finally, earlier this week, Hello Games announced No Man’s Sky’s next-generation PS5 native version, adding that, on PlayStation, PSVR support was available “by virtue of backwards compatibility”. Until today, that was the most direct confirmation we’d have on the matter.

What This Means For Now

So, if you’re getting a PS5 in the next few weeks and are excited to try PSVR on the console, you’ll want to make sure you buy the PS4 versions of PSVR-supported games if you want to try them on the headset. If you buy the PS5 versions you won’t find the PSVR support listed.

Fortunately, both Hitman 3 and No Man’s Sky do have free upgrade plans; anyone that owns No Man’s Sky will get to upgrade to next-gen consoles for free and gets to take their save data over, too. You have to buy Hitman 3 on PS4 digitally to qualify for a free PS5 upgrade, meanwhile – you can’t upgrade from the physical edition. That doesn’t guarantee the reverse, however. In other words,

Cross-generation save features should mean you could install both versions of the game on PS5, access the PS4 version when you want VR and the PS5 version when you want to play flat-screen, and then share your progress between the two, but we haven’t tried this for ourselves. What’s not clear, however, is if IO Interactive and Hello Games might offer free downgrades to PS4 for anyone that wants to play on PSVR. According to PlayStation, that’s a developer-by-developer decision.

Don’t forget you’ll also need the official camera adaptor for PSVR to use the headset on PS5, too. You can’t use Sony’s new PS5 Camera, you have to use the PS4-era camera. Sony is sending the adaptor out for free to PSVR owners, though.

What This Means For The Future

This news comes shortly after Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan’s comments about the future of VR to The Washington Post. “PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment,” Ryan said. “Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that.”

These comments make it seem like we won’t be seeing a true PSVR 2 that supports PS5 games directly until 2022 at the very earliest. But there’s plenty to suggest another headset will happen; from R&D talks to research videos and job listings and more. Until then, however, it seems like PSVR owners will have to make do with old PS4 games, though there should still be new VR releases on that console in 2021, at least.

https://uploadvr.com/psvr-games-on-ps5/

Last edited:

A horse of course

Venser

Erudite

I tried this on the Halloween night and was blown away by how cool and charming it was. It's a game inside Media Molecule's Dreams and it was done in collaboration between the studio and the community.
There are 3 haunted houses to go through. Each house has 11 floors and multiple rooms. Every room was made by a different community creator so you always wonder what are you going to see in the next one. Most rooms are just full of spooky stuff to look at but some of them are interactive and contain puzzles to solve. Even tho it's all done in cartoony esthetics, there are still a couple of decent scares.
I played it for over 2 hours and completed only one of the 3 houses so there's a lot of content. I wouldn't mind paying $25 for it if this was a standalone game. I recommend everyone who own PSVR to try it. It 's fully playable for free even in the Dreams demo.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
F2P Weekend and they apparently reduced the price of this:

Mortmal

Arcane
Finally joined the club, VR is not a gimmick.. Damn that half life alyx, i dont think a game impressed me so much in the last decade. Not getting any motion sickness , only muscles and back pain , it sucks to be old ! One month later they will find my dessicated corpse after quarantine cause i tried crouching and couldnt stand up again.

Venser

Erudite
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fall-vr
  • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
  • Zero Caliber VR
  • Creed: Rise to Glory
  • I Expect You To Die
  • Raw Data
  • Killing Floor Incursion
  • Archangel: Hellfire - Fully Loaded
  • A-Tech Cybernetic
Awesome Humble VR Bundle. For just €14.49 you get one of the best VR games Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners. Raw Data and Creed are decent, I Expect You to Die is great, haven't played the rest.

Second PSVR game got a PS5 patch - Increased supersampling pixel density for improved visual fidelity. I'm really interested to see how much of a difference it actually makes. Wish they went beyond just that but it's still possible they may drop additional patches in the future to improve visuals further.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Wow thats a really good bundle. Shame i already own the good titles so i grabbed the shovelware tier for 85 cents to see what A-Tech and Killing Floor Incursion can deliver.

If anyone wants Archangel: Hellfire i got a spare key.

Finally joined the club, VR is not a gimmick.. Damn that half life alyx, i dont think a game impressed me so much in the last decade. Not getting any motion sickness , only muscles and back pain , it sucks to be old ! One month later they will find my dessicated corpse after quarantine cause i tried crouching and couldnt stand up again.

VR is actually not bad for light cardio workout. Pistol Whip and Thrill of the Fight are my go to games for that. Sure it does not replace real sport but on non training days or for warmup its more fun than jogging.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fall-vr
  • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
  • Zero Caliber VR
  • Creed: Rise to Glory
  • I Expect You To Die
  • Raw Data
  • Killing Floor Incursion
  • Archangel: Hellfire - Fully Loaded
  • A-Tech Cybernetic
Awesome Humble VR Bundle. For just €14.49 you get one of the best VR games Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners. Raw Data and Creed are decent, I Expect You to Die is great, haven't played the rest.
That's a great deal. I didn't have a single one of those aside from Raw Data and I got several of those on my Wishlist.

It'd be worth it for Walking Dead: S&S alone.

Venser

Erudite
Latest Windows Update Includes Visual Improvements for HP Reverb G2 and Other WMR Headsets
By Scott Hayden
Nov 12, 2020

Valve, HP and Microsoft teamed up to create the new HP Reverb G2, and before it hits doorsteps this month there’s already a few software improvements to visual quality waiting for you in the latest version of Windows 10, which also affects some Windows Mixed Reality VR headsets too.

Alex Vlachos, formerly of Valve and now working as a partner architect at Microsoft WMR, gave us a brief look at some of the visual improvements now live in the latest version of Windows 10.

The update features some notable tweaks including corrections to chromatic aberration and light leak, which, in addition to HP Reverb G2, also affect Samsung Odyssey+ and the original HP Reverb G1.

“For the Samsung Odyssey+, we were able to improve chromatic aberration artifacts at the periphery,” Vlachos explains in a blog post. “For the Reverb G1, we were able to improve chromatic aberration artifacts, reduce radial distortion, apply light leak correction, and improve rendering performance by about 8% in most applications from an updated and optimized hidden area mesh.”

And what does that mean exactly? Well, here’s a quick explanation about some of the visual software tweaks included in new Windows 10 update.

WMR Visual Quality Update
Correcting for visual artifacts isn’t simple work. Most modern VR headsets use Fresnel Lenses, a compact lens design created to have a larger aperture (also called ‘eye box’) and a shorter focal length than a standard, ‘smooth’ convex lens. Those circular ridges in your VR headset’s lenses are actually the edges of multiple refraction points which guide light to your eye. Fresnels are smaller and lighter, but introduce more artifacts into the mix that have to be accounted for ahead of time to get you the clearest picture.

Extremely large Fresnel lenses in Pimax “8K” | Photo by Road to VR
In the HP Reverb G2, those newly designed lenses (created by Valve) are supposed to drastically reduce God Rays, an artifact of Fresnel lenses that causes light to appear to stretch from the center of the lenses outward, creating an aura-like glow most prevalent in high contrast scenes.

Chromatic Aberration is another big offender too when it comes to visual clarity and accurate color reproduction. It’s an artifact caused by red, green, and blue light refracting through lenses differently, often causing a fraying of red and blue light most visible on a VR display’s periphery.

Uncorrected chromatic aberration (left), corrected image (right) | Image courtesy Microsoft
With the new software correction, Microsoft has applied its improved algorithms to better pre-distort the rendered image for a clearer, more color-accurate picture, guiding those pixels more precisely where they need to be.

Another issue, which specifically affects LCD panels like the ones in the HP Reverb G2 and G1, is Light Leak—not the light leaking in through your headset’s nose hole, but rather the light leaking from display panels without perfect filters to match the chromatic range of red, green, and blue light. On LCD displays, a green pixel can leak a little red, which when viewed through a lens can appear as ghosting or even a magenta color fringe.

Simulated light leaked (left), corrected image (right) | Image courtesy Microsoft
To reduce Light Leak, Vlachos says Microsoft has developed correction algorithms reducing both color fringing and the overall color tinting, which he says works “in most situations where there is enough light in neighboring pixels to compensate for the artifacts.”

– – — – –

Thankfully there are some very capable brains at Microsoft, Valve, and HP helping to address these common ‘VR pain points’ and make them more of a thing of the past—or at least a thing that only the most pedantic of the VR nerds will need to talk about when it comes to new VR headsets.

If you’re looking to see what all the fuss is about with the PC VR ecosystem’s latest headset, check out our two-part preview on the HP Reverb G2 [part 1part 2] detailing all of the headset’s improvements.

We also have our patented deep dive review coming soon, so stay tuned.

https://www.roadtovr.com/latest-win...isual-improvements-hp-reverb-g2-wmr-headsets/

Venser

Erudite
Developer commentary is now available ingame. It includes 147 different ‘points of interest’ containing over three hours of commentary.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom